• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
If you approached a random person on the street with pictures of Peach, Lara, etc. I guarantee the one that would be most consistently identified is Peach.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say this year in particular it's either peach, lara, or Ellie. Probably peach perpetually.
So I guess the Top 3 are...
  1. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  2. Princess Peach (Super Mario)
  3. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Any objections?
I would go with Lara Croft and Peach.

However a very underlooked character, especially after this year, is Isabelle. Animal Crossing is on its way to sell 40m+ copies accross a very large audience.

Apr 27, 2020
Lara by far, she made it to the cover of two mainstream magazines

TRmagazinescollection%2B%252820%2529.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It doesn't proves my point. But it severly weakens your argument that the reason Lara is more searched than Peach is simply because "digital boobs". And yes, her popularity is connected with her status as a sex symbol, I doubt anyone would argue otherwise. At the same time, it's not just that. There are many reasons that explain the success of Tomb Raider as a franchise and Lara as a character.

And I'd simply wanted to see any argument to support Peach's popularity over Lara's other than "she is in Mario" and aren't based on personal assumptions.

Thanks for the word vomit.

I disagree with your "personal" barometers.

You disagree with mine.

That's fine. Moving on now.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play League but I feel like it would be the fox girl / Ahri?
The only ones I know are Ahri and Akali from K/DA and Jinx from whenever she got introduced years ago. Ahri would make sense since I doubt they wouldn't put the most popular one in their virtual group that promotes the game.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Some peak bubble stuff here. Let's see who's more popular, one of gamings oldest females who has been in tons of huge games. Or a girl from a recent series who was in 2 games, one where she was barely playable hrmmm.

Joel isn't even as popular as Peach is.
My point is, do people actually LIKE Peach or do they just know of her?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you approached a random person on the street with pictures of Peach, Lara, etc. I guarantee the one that would be most consistently identified is Peach.
Right. Especially if you approached them with Lara's latest two redesigns. (AKA Her look in the last two decades)

And mostly the recognition will come due to Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider film.
2b50a2e0b28f189cc81fc4c22858727a.jpg

The character in-game doesn't even use twin pistols anymore.
She is only recognizable to a specific older audience.

---

In the latest Magic School Bus Rides Again film, Ms. Frizzle takes a very familiar appearance:
ccc.jpg

Because yes, Lara Croft is one of the most iconic female videogame character (All due to the 90's)

But you'll be hard-pressed if you want any of the kids watching Netflix getting that reference (Starting with that Lara doesn't even look like that in the main entries since Tomb Raider: Anniversary in 2007)

She's not popular any longer.

Those saying "Ellie" aren't that far off, Ellie is popular, not iconic. Because she just got a relevant game release a couple of months ago.
I doubt her popularity will remain though. So next month could be anyone, could be Peach if something Mario-related happens.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
In a just world, it's Samus. But I bet if you polled 100 kids/teens, it's Alex from Minecraft.

Jul 3, 2019
While both are far from the top, Ellie is not a sillier suggestion than Samus lol. Even if you limit it to people who play video games. Ellie's debut game sold as much as pretty much the whole Metroid franchise.

I would say Samus has slightly more wide appeal from stuff like Smash Bros, and her being an important part of videogame history.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To those that say Ms. Pac-Man, can I ask why? Is it because of age? Off-screen popularity?

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
Asked my wife and Lara Croft was the first female character she thought of.

Of say its either her, or Peach.

I assume most don't know who Samus is

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Skimmed the thread, didn't see anyone mention Kitana
Edit: bringing it up cause I saw her outfit a lot as a good COVID costume for a lot of people over the weekend

May 15, 2019
Peach is probably the most iconic for better or worse, but in terms of popularity I bet Chun-Li or Lara Croft would actually take it. People know who Peach is but I don't know that that many people actively love her as a character.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Again, I'd argue Jill Valentine is more well-known than Chun-Li.

Based solely on film presence and Resident Evil being far more popular.
Resident Evil is the bigger franchise of the two, true. But you're far more likely to find someone who recognizes Chun-Li than Jill. Though that's in part Capcom's fault for letting Jill go underutilized for so long, only recently bringing her back for RE3 Remake.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It also helps that Peach has had a consistent design pretty much since Super Mario World, while Lara has had a few redesigns and her PS1 iterations is easily her most iconic.

Also, I don't get the "she had movies" argument. Aside from it appealing to film as a higher art from to legitimize a game character (which makes increasingly less sense these days), like, everyone knew who Sonic was before he hit the silver screen, but its not like him being there now has made him more popular than Mario.