• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
That question occurs to my mind after watching Friends, the part when Monica registers for wedding something and after chandler finds out he freaks out (the one where bruce willis became a guest star there, it was season 5)

It also happened to ross and rachel earlier when they were dating, but i could be wrong. They were talking about kids, and they freaked out

Is it really that scary to get engaged in committed relationship or having children? Their reaction is like they are getting themselves into a curse or something

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
ProTip: Sitcom characters from 25 years ago are probably not the most useful barometers of an entire national dating culture.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Friends is not reality-based at all, there is an issue that income inequality is causing Americans, esp white Americans, to not want to start families because they can't afford it/have no hope for the future.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only America. Commitment is scary because people know half of all marriages end in divorce, so add kids to that...

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is not totally wrong.

marriage-rate-in-the-united-states-since-1990.jpg

OP
OP
Riversands

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
You realize Friends ended with 5 out of 6 of them in committed relationships right?
Im talking more about the fear of getting into commitment either it is relationship or something else (in himym commitment of having children). Whether they really end up together or not of course is another story

Oct 26, 2017
OP is not totally wrong.

That's the thing, instead of pointing to real-life examples, OP's pointing to TV shows. I'd take it a step further and mention how dating culture seems to be more fearful of the idea of commitment than they used to be 10/20/30 years old. Dating apps and websites have opened up a whole new category of people, and that has resulted in a "shiny toy syndrome" of sorts (aka, waiting for something better to come along to the point that you refuse to commit to someone).

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Monica is a control freak and Chandler never had a serious relationship and went from that to marriage and that's why he freaked out.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's at show where relationships are used to drive the story... The show wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons if everyone got together and married.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an America exclusive problem, see Japan.
Japan has a totally different problem. They're not even willing to go on dates, let alone marriage.

That said, generally I agree with the notion that marriage is just in decline all around the world. But there are areas that it's declining so fast compared to the rest, like the US.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
OP is not totally wrong.

Ahhh yes, the ever popular "zoom into a tiny number on a graph to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is"

To put this chart in context, it matches closely to a similar drop in the rate of divorce... Meaning there are fewer spur of the moment marriages. It's not that people are more afraid of commitment, and more they aren't rushing into marriages that won't last.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
American media have been pushing the notion that marriage is a miserable prison sentence for decades.

There's always some old/middle aged couple disillusioned by marriage and kids.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Americans, I just got done watching an episode of Small Wonder. Why do you let creepy little robot girls into your homes?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Friends isn't funny, and if it was a representation of America I would be living an eternal nightmare.

Some people do have this fear though. Some just are not cut out for it. Having children especially is a big deal when you sit down to think about it.

OP
OP
Riversands

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Do you base all of your world views off of fictional TV shows/characters?

Depends. But not necessarily. Let me try to explain this. In scriptwriting, writers usually put some "real world aspects/values" that can be relatable to either the writers or the audiences. How to identify it? If it is recurring theme, then usually it is a real aspect of real world.

Lets say scrubs. Scrubs may be fictional, but the medical things that it brought is considered pretty accurate

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
well my very first serious relationship ended with heartbreak and then 2 broken legs but I still jumped back in. it is legitimately scary though after you've had your heart broken and I would never judge anyone for not wanting a serious relationship for that reason. heartbreak was a worse and longer lasting pain then both of my femurs being snapped in 2 and my right hip shattering at the same time no joke.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Here's the thing, OP. Friends takes place in an alternate reality where New York has no black people. That could explain other shenanigans going on.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Depends. But not necessarily. Let me try to explain this. In scriptwriting, writers usually put some "real world aspects/values" that can be relatable to either the writers or the audiences. How to identify it? If it is recurring theme, then usually it is a real aspect of real world.

Lets say scrubs. Scrubs may be fictional, but the medical things that it brought is considered pretty accurate
I'm surprised you're talking about the medical aspects of scrubs and not the dramatic American relationships in it.