• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This has become a more frequent occurrence now. in this forum and I don't know why. Can't people use images of the games they love as avatar in a gaming forum? Why does it have to be traced back to a console brand?

Unless you have a picture of the hardware as avatar, I don't see why this has catched on.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
first post gets it, really.

If you're concerned about fanboy wars, you've already lost. All you need to do is ignore the fanboys and talk about what you like.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure you can report that kind of behavior to a mod if you believe that it's being done in a malicious way.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
This is why you choose early 20th century symbolist paintings as your avatar instead.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. Never trust someone with a Knack avatar.

But in all seriousness, I notice people who participate in mass avatar edits like the Delsin beanie, the Kratos beard, and so on. It colors my opinion of their post, can't help it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This has become a more frequent occurrence now. in this forum and I don't know why. Can't people use images of the games they love as avatar in a gaming forum? Why does it have to be traced back to a console brand?

Unless you have a picture of the hardware as avatar, I don't see why this has catched on.

Avatar quotes are simple, quick jokes about the users, hardly are they ever used seriously to legit discredit arguments.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It depends. Never trust someone with a Knack avatar.

But in all seriousness, I notice people who participate in mass avatar edits like the Delsin beanie, the Kratos beard, and so on. It colors my opinion of their post, can't help it.

Yeah that's pretty weird, I'll concede in thinking that

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
THANK YOU!

I can't reply to DC fans anymore, even if I'm not being a dick or anything, they just single me out as being a Marvel fanboy. It's really frustrating and makes me want to engage less. I like Marvel movies but I'm really vocal about how flawed they are and can be not very rewatchable.

I don't have any real allegiance toward anything. I like what I like and I'll talk about the flaws, I'll criticize, etc.

I play primarily on Xbox but I prefer PlayStation exclusives because I think Xbox has really been lacking this generation. Doesn't make me a PS fanboy.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree with you OP. I hate it when I'm having a discussion about something that has a distant relation to my avatar and someone quotes it for no real reason other to imply I'm bias against something.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Well I am a fanboy of Yakuza so do your worst ERA, I don't care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I stopped using an avatar here because it gets annoying to be judged by it.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Because it's easy. People like easy targets rather than tackling their argument itself.

I remember on another forum someone got confused by me criticizing Soul Calibur's fanservice because I had Taki's face as an avatar, lol.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't even know it has had this impact already. That's unfortunate.

Oh, this has been a thing for awhile. I brought it up months ago. Nothing happened, so I just report and ignore users that use it as a way to discredit someone's viewpoint.

I'm obviously not referring to folks who avatar quote people in a joking manner.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017

Of course a guy wearing glasses named KrigareN- would say that, I bet you only play KrigareN- games.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's the difference between having a Switch avatar or Mario avatar?
Both is basically 100% associated with Nintendo.

It's probably more a mixture of the avatar and what opinions the people express.
Everyone has their favorite brand, platform and games.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's true. For example, when you see a dude with Rich Evans avatar you think to yourself, "good for nothing hack fraud, I bet he watches Star Trek all day." And I can't blame you for thinking like that.

TornadoValley

Oct 27, 2017
I chose my avatar when I first created my steam account during my preteen years and kinda just stuck with it ever since. No idea why I chose it, I'm not even that much of a Pokémon fan.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a shoob Fox McCloud with a God of War Tattoo and a Sea of Thieves Pirate Hat n' Eyepatch so I'm a console centrist :(

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on your avatar I would say you like JRPGs and anime. Would say that's wrong?

If a user had a Kirby avatar it's safe to assume they're a Nintendo fan.

If they're flat out calling you a fanboy/console warrior the you should bring it to a mods attention.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I read the OP a couple times and I'm not even sure what's being said. I'm an SNK fanboy? Hmm, I guess I am. Good point, OP. Very good.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
My avatar denotes that I am a man of taste and sophistication, and that I only enjoy the highest quality entertainment the internet has to offer.

OP
OP
KrigareN-

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What's the difference between having a Switch avatar or Mario avatar?
Both is basically 100% associated with Nintendo.

It's probably more a mixture of the avatar and what opinions the people express.
Everyone has their favorite brand, platform and games.
I guess you're right. I shouldn't have made that distinction.

People should be able to use whatever avatar they want and not have it used as a way to dismiss their opinion, of course provided that the avatar isn't malicious or inappropriate.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Normally whatever the person posted was dumb on its own. Avatar quotes are just a fun jab at them.

That's not to say there aren't times that people dismiss opinions based on avatars though. That's why I use Q, because that's something everyone can agree on.

Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.