• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean c'mon.

How is a man supposed to have a candle collection when a decent candle costs $20 a pop, and has a short life.

Biggest scam industry.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
you can get cheaper ones at Ross, Marshalls or Ikea

this 100 pack is $3.50 at Ikea

glimma-unscented-tealights__29992_PE117779_S4.JPG

also why do you think Game of Thrones cost $100 million a season? It's the candles, man!

redwedding_0.jpg

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
They are? the industrial stuff seems cheap enough.

And handmade crafts are.... handmade.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Struggling poets living in isolated tower lofts and vampires hiding in secret underground lairs need to see where the legos are too.

Must they be bankrupted in the process

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been glad they didn't have those vanilla cupcake ones when I was a kid.

I would have gorged on that thing.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Right? I bought my mum 2 small-ish wood wick candles as a present.
They didn't have a price tag on them, but I thought "how much could two candles cost?"
$75, apparently.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right? I bought my mum 2 small-ish wood wick candles as a present.
They didn't have a price tag on them, but I thought "how much could two candles cost?"
$75, apparently.

I bought a candle today, the guy who rang it up was "Damn, When do you use that."

Then I saw it was $30, I was in too deep and couldn't back out by that point.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Biggest scam industry.
So many disappointments you have ahead of you in life...

If it really bothers you, making them yourself looks pretty easy, cheap, and not particularly time consuming. Wax looks to be $2-3 a pound, wicks cost pennies, and dye and fragrance seems to run anywhere from a couple cents to a couple bucks, depending on where you Google. Melt on stove, mix, and pour.

For the price of one trip to Yankee Candle, you could set yourself up for years.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a relationship with an addiction to Yankee candles, the ones that cost like ÂŁ25 a pop. She would buy two a weekend and burn them in her dorm room all week. Pretty much half of her damn student loan went on that shit.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a relationship with an addiction to Yankee candles, the ones that cost like ÂŁ25 a pop. She would buy two a weekend and burn them in her dorm room all week. Pretty much half of her damn student loan went on that shit.

Damn, I buy one a week but that is a bit much.

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
Higher priced candles have more potent oils. Same reason eau de parfum is sometimes twice the price of eau de toilette. When my candle budget started getting crazy I bought a diffuser and some essential oils

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Higher priced candles have more potent oils. Same reason eau de parfum is sometimes twice the price of eau de toilette. When my candle budget started getting crazy I bought a diffuser and some essential oils

I have an uncle high up in a perfume/cologne distributor so he sends me samples of everything.

Which are full bottles that stores get for customers to sample.

That $200 bottle of Versace, D&G I got it.

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
For those of us who don't have uncles in the biz, there are websites that will just sell you the sample bottles heavily discounted. I buy Creed fragrances for bout half the price that way. Still $200 (instead of $450) but I smell damn good

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you buying your candles? Yankee Candles regularly has sales where each candle is only $5, and that's without a coupon.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I think it depends on the type of candle you are trying to buy. I believe Candles made of soy wax are more expensive then those made of paraffin wax.

Anyways, paraffin Candles may be cheap but they are bad for your health, as they can cause cancer due to the fact they are made from gasoline and stuff.

Sadora

Oct 29, 2017
Yankee makes good candles.
They tend to have good sales. Buy 2 get 2 or buy 1 get 1 -- which is the same thing. =)