Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very partial to the idea of paper plates and cups instead of real ones since you can just bin them but the fact I can't have paper knives, spoons, and forks is a real bummer. So that got me thinking, none of us like doing the dishes so what if we could just eat our dishes instead? I did a quick search and although edible cutlery exists they aren't as popular as they should be. Why is that? Is it just a price thing or what? Taste is no excuse because I refuse to believe anyone would rather do dishes than simply eat or bin them even if they tasted like cardboard.

Hopefully in the future edible cutlery is more mainstream and doing dishes is a thing of the past. Oh, and no "I like my dishes to have fancy designs and be used as a way of expressing myself" because there are plenty of other ways to do that.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
We all have plates, bowls, knives and forks that can be washed over and over again. Edible stuff for one time use is a waste of money.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Because making something for one time use is an expensive way of doing things and nobody will buy it?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Why not just eat stuff that's already covered?

The all calzone diet can only be a good thing.

I always wanted those edible cups from Wonka.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I can't imagine I would be able to eat much of the meal if I also had to eat the plate and silverware...

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Are they actually edible or just biodegradable? I can't imagine them being sturdy enough to eat with or off of while still being a good texture to eat, themselves.

That and I'd imagine the cost of production and energy use to create and ship them would be far more than a reusable set of dishes over the course of their life.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very partial to the idea of paper plates and cups instead of real ones since you can just bin them but the fact I can't have paper knives, spoons, and forks is a real bummer. So that got me thinking, none of us like doing the dishes so what if we could just eat our dishes instead? I did a quick search and although edible cutlery exists they aren't as popular as they should be. Why is that? Is it just a price thing or what? Taste is no excuse because I refuse to believe anyone would rather do dishes than simply eat or bin them even if they tasted like cardboard.

Hopefully in the future edible cutlery is more mainstream and doing dishes is a thing of the past. Oh, and no "I like my dishes to have fancy designs and be used as a way of expressing myself" because there are plenty of other ways to do that.

This reads like a laziness issue.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I was wondering "don't they make biodegradable straws by now?" when the big hubbub around "no straws!" came up a few months back.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you buy dishes once and they can last for decades. I'm not buying plates I gotta eat every time I grocery shop.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
you think people want to eat knives that taste like cardboard because they're lazy?

explain to me how I can safely eat a knife that is sharp enough to cut my steak

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'm in

tomato-soup-in-grilled-cheese-bowls.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Just eat on the floor like an animal. That way you can still be a lazy slob and still help the environment.

The rest of us can spend 5 minutes washing our dishes.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
what if we had edible clothes. Everyone hates doing laundry, so taste isn't a factor, why don't we just eat our pants?

OP
OP
Kingpin Rogers

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think the pushback I'm getting here is because doing dishes is so ingrained for some of us that anyone who goes against that idea is seen as crazy. Believe me guys, we all spend monthly on rubbish, what's a little extra for hours each month saved?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Because people eat for taste and nutrition, which would not be the main goals of designing edible dishes.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I honestly think the pushback I'm getting here is because doing dishes is so ingrained for some of us that anyone who goes against that idea is seen as crazy. Believe me guys, we all spend monthly on rubbish, what's a little extra for hours each month saved?
I'm with you, down with the tyranny of the washing.

One day, I will wear a new pair of socks every day. Why are we washing socks? It's savagery.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Because it would be gross. I don't hold a plate in my hand the entire time I eat, I put that down on a table/floor depending on the setting.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
For plates, use a slice of bread/toast or put your food in a bun.

For cups, use chocolate figures and bite off the head.

Last edited:

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are completely ignoring the environmental impact of millions of people suddenly switching to disposable plates / cups / cutlery , and your suggestion that all of those things could be edible is....dumb as shit.

So, you look both lazy and foolish.