Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Activision has like half a million studios working on the CoD mines and no one came up with that after they remade CoD4?

There's probably a really good and logical explanation but sometimes I think Activision hates extra money.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
No need to. They did the MW remaster for a game they knew would be controversial. WW2 was always gonna sell like hot cakes though.

MWorldII

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Call of Duty WWII is the fastest selling Call of Duty on this console generation, so they calculations were correct.
I presume, only goal to remaster Modern Warfare is to slow the declining sales of franchise.

Also, CoD1-2 just aren't as popular as MW.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they give you two full games + expansions for free?

How many studios do that? WW2 still sold really well without having to do that.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Call of Duty didn't exist before Modern Warfare.
DIC6A.gif

1 & 2 are the only ones I liked.

Oct 28, 2017
MWR exists due to the increasing complaints since AW and the reduced sales supposedly due to people wanting the classic gameplay back. There's no need for that in WWII for obvious reasons, and that's ignoring the economical one of what you said entailing remastering three entire campaigns plus multiplayer instead of just one as was the case with MWR.

can't put loot boxes in said games

They could very easily add cosmetic lootboxes to it.

Nov 14, 2017
I must the only one who finds Call of Duty shooters boring., if you played one, you played them all. Running around in endless circles is so boring. I much prefer Battlefield open terrain warfare. Sorry, this probably off topic, just puzzled this game is so popular.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
On the other hand, Activision must've done some pact with the elder gods in order to keep getting massively profitable franchise after massively profitable franchise. Between CoD, Blizzard and Destiny, they've hit the triple jackpot.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
DIC6A.gif

1 & 2 are the only ones I liked.
This made me LOL. Perfect.

I must the only one who finds Call of Duty shooters boring., if you played one, you played them all. Running around in endless circles is so boring. I much prefer Battlefield open terrain warfare. Sorry, this probably off topic, just puzzled this game is so popular.

Actually WW2 surprisingly has some varied level structuring. It kind of reminds me of Gears of War at times in a good way. Instead of emergence holes you have enemies defending a point. I didn't make it through the whole game yet because I have been traveling for work.

But, so far the campaign is really good and has amazing graphics.

I wish they would remaster World at War. I liked how gruesome the game was.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why would do spend money and give it away for free when the games sell gangbusters?

Come on. It's not that difficult to think things through. How many more sales would this lead to?? Not that many.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Which game has the most active MP still? Seriously thinking of downloading one of those and play a few matches. I never really got into CoD MP until 4.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I'm as cynical about the Call of Duty franchise as the next guy, but CoD WWII actually has a tremendous amount of content spread between the campaign, MP, and Zombies modes. I wasn't blown away by the campaign (aside from the French level), but found it to be an enjoyable romp.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because people actually wanted to buy WWII, and didn't need to be bribed with nostalgia in order to buy a copy *cough*Infinite Warfare*cough*.

I wouldn't expect to see another CoD remaster until 2019 when they will most likely tie a copy of MW2 Remastered to whatever Neo-Infinity Ward puts out that year.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Activision has like half a million studios working on the CoD mines and no one came up with that after they remade CoD4?

There's probably a really good and logical explanation but sometimes I think Activision hates extra money.

How much would it have increased sales and at what cost?

The game is already selling REALLY well.

Nov 14, 2017
Actually WW2 surprisingly has some varied level structuring. It kind of reminds me of Gears of War at times in a good way. Instead of emergence holes you have enemies defending a point. I didn't make it through the whole game yet because I have been traveling for work.

But, so far the campaign is really good and has amazing graphics.

I wish they would remaster World at War. I liked how gruesome the game was.

I have not bought a COD game since advanced warfare, I just don't enjoy playing this game online. I saw people online who reviewed this game, I trust, and saw with my own eyes nothing new here worth buying a new COD for. The formula is still endlessly running around in circles, a dozen times, looking for people to kill before the match ends. Plus the campaign is mostly scripted you watching the action?

Oct 28, 2017
For me the series peaked with 2. It's still GOAT but can be a pain to get it working on current systems.
Call of Duty 1 and United Offensive could use a remake imo, because they were designed with a quicksave-quickload era mindset which is quite jarring to go back to. What bothers me, that Activision would 100% shove in lootboxes and/or release it incomplete to sell maps as dlc the way they did with the Modern Warfare remaster.
Also bundles are only OK if there is an option to buy them separately

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Because they do not appeal to CoD's main audience now which mostly came in after Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Those first two titles would have to have heavily revamped MP for the general audience now to enjoy.

And if it was SP only, then they probably see it as a waste of resources on a SP experience.

Either way, the vets of the series would not be happy with the remaster/remake of old titles if they were totally redone and if they stayed the same, the newer audience wouldn't take to them that easy and think of it as a waste of time.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
2 unfortunately had health regeneration, while 1 didn't. (Merciless Matador mod takes care of this though)

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I have not bought a COD game since advanced warfare, I just don't enjoy playing this game online. I saw people online who reviewed this game, I trust, and saw with my own eyes nothing new here worth buying a new COD for. The formula is still endlessly running around in circles, a dozen times, looking for people to kill before the match ends. Plus the campaign is mostly scripted you watching the action?
I was only speaking about the campaign... I feel the same way as you do. I will never play online. Ever.

But the campaign is really good so far, and I hate most games, and just about everything else. The campaign is not mostly scripted. But there are a couple QTEs to avoid being stabbed and dragging a wounded comrade, and times where you have to drive, or shoot a certain gun that kind of break up the monotony.

Around all that the core gameplay is actually pretty decent, and they finally got rid of the stupid minimap on the HUD.

I have hated all of the past COD games since MW2 and this is pretty good as far as I am concerned.

Edit: I should add that I think this game is way more fun than say, Wolfenstein 2.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Remastering Modern Warfare alongside Infinite Warfare was probably a move to hedge a risky bet on a space-based Call of Duty game.

Remastering COD1 and/or COD2 alongside CODWW2 just covers a lot of the same ground. And from a boardroom they probably thought that CODWW2 would've had enough of an appeal, and perhaps that remastering a single map from the older games was enough of a purchase incentive.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's a different style of gameplay.
Call of Duty's shooter loop is much more tightly defined; you have relatively small maps; each map is separated into distinct engagement ranges, you have angles to watch for, and there less (but still existent) expectations as to where your enemies are, which helps to even the playing field a bit and allows everyone to get kills once in a while.
Battlefield is more of a sandbox; the wide-open terrain means you're much more vulnerable at all points, there are egregious (but intended) power imbalances between players (e.g. if one is in a vehicle), gunplay is more centered around mid/long range encounters, and the game mechanics are much more punishing.

CoD works because it's fun for a lot of people. It's simple, point-and-shoot arcade gameplay.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yea, if I was gonna play a shooter online, it's gonna be something tactical and slower paced like Arma say. MP for games like CoD & Battlefield are way too twitchy for me.

Obneiric

Dec 25, 2017
United Offensive was a great game, both the singleplayer and the multiplayer, which was like Battlefield-lite with vehicles. A full remake of it would probably do pretty well even in today's market.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just played a round of CoD1 Carentan. There was the one obvious cheater there claiming he wasn't cheating at all, promise, but fortunately didn't hinder the experience that much.

Gameplay is still solid, despite some of the outdated stuff around it.