Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would say in General:
It's a pretty good game and for many on of the first big JRPG ever.
And something like this will leave an impression on you

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It mixed technology and fantasy in a way we still generally don't see.
When you have a team that dang talented and you let them break all the rules, it tends to be pretty special.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The music & art are still exceptional.

The battles feel snappy and don't slog the game down.

The materia system feels so satisfying to play with and grind out.

And at 13 years old, all this and an open world felt CRAZY next gen.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
A great advertising campaign, amazing graphics, the insane popularity of the PS1, and a lot of people's first FF. It was the perfect storm.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Honest truth, a lot of people played it as their first big jrpg in their formative years. As someone who loves the genre with no such attachment, it's a genuinely charming and well-made game on many fronts, but not the timeless masterpiece that people would have you believe.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It was the right game at the right time, and while it's not my favorite in the series, it's a damn fine game (even if Enemy Skill materia is completely broken and the minigames suck).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's lame, but to me it's because of Sephiroth.
I thought the fact that he's never actually physically there until the very end was interesting because he still manages to be such a menacing presence despite it.

Dec 14, 2017
For me, it's one of the first games I bonded with my cousin over. I watched him play it one summer and it's been a talking point ever since. He's actually thinking of getting a PS4 just for it since the PC release date is unknown still

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's good

excellent music

compelling characters

90s edge

anTIFA won!

Ame5BNP.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a lot of people's first introduction to JRPGs and anime aesthetic in general, hyped up to hell and back as the game that could, and kinda did, kill the competition.

It's also a pretty darn good game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Presentation is nuts. Most of the pre-rendered backgrounds hold up well artistically, and they stuff they do with transitioning in and out of FMVs was crazy at the time. Sephiroth's introduction in the flashback is very memorable, and the twists with Aeris's fate and Cloud's past are pretty audacious. Great soundtrack too, and the game just screams along through setpieces and memorable locations. Still one of the best paced JRPGs ever. It's also goofy as shit, which is something I think a lot of people forget about. The combat may be pretty basic, but as an overall experience I still enjoy the game quite a lot.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
1) It's a very good game.
2) It was the first JRPG for many, so the nostalgia is huge.
3) At it's time it looked kinda crazy with all these CGs and shit.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to echoing the previous posts...

Leaving Midgar and realizing the game was just getting started was mind blowing. It's one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had in gaming.

On top of all that, FF7 is cool AF. You get summons with long ass animations, Sephiroth's insane SuperNova attack, and not one, but THREE Bahamuts!

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
It's was many people's first time playing a game that attempted to tell a much bigger story than what they had played before. Anecdotally, it was the first JRPG I'd ever beaten. I had rented FFVI when I was little but didn't have the patience to get far in it or the life experience to grasp what it was trying to do. I was a little older when VII came out and was in the prime age demographic to have the kind of story it was trying to tell hit hard.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because the Gold Saucer is the happiest fuckin place on earth, that's why. Gonna have a heart attack when we see it in the next game.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I mean the story starts out pretty good even if it gets a bit weird and loses its main appeal basically as soon as Midgar is over for me but the characters are still fun and interesting which definitely draw people into the game. Sephiroth also seems to be a pretty well liked villain, even though I didn't personally like where they went with him but his design was pretty cool to my teen self. The music is great, the graphics are pretty damn good for the time, and it was many people's first JRPG which always leads to a lot of love attached to a title

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It wasn't my first JRPG, not even my first Final Fantasy, and I played it in college in the early 2010s.

I loved the setting, characters, and themes. The mix of science-fiction, contemporary settings and technology, and magic/fantasy just works really well for me and is something I wish more games did. Amazing soundtrack. Story is dense with all sorts of twists and turns. It's one of my all time favorite games even if the gameplay can be pretty rough around the edges.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because it was the first JRPG for a lot of people... but personally, to me, FFVI is still the best one of all the Final Fantasy games.

Fight me!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me it really comes down to Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. I just really love those characters, the story line they follow, their designs and even their weaponry are all fantastic.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It was such a massive leap in production value over previous FF games, it hasn't aged well but it was mind blowing for its time.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The atmosphere was unlikely anything I had played at that time. I had never seen a world like Midgar in a video game before. It was unique and mature and the first time I felt like I was playing an epic story in a video game. Having some of the most memorable characters ever created helps too.

It wasn't my first RPG -- that title belongs to Super Mario RPG and I had also played a little of Beyond the Beyond -- but everything surrounding it felt fresh.

And there was little like that feeling of leaving Midgar for the first time and realizing that the game actually just started.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game but a lot of it comes down to exposure. I remember FFVII having billboards at train stations, something I had never seen before. The marketing was way above any other JRPG before it in the West.

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, great soundtrack, really good story. I didn't play the game all the way through until a few years ago, and my wife played it just last year. We both love it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about FF7 that people love so much?

Tell me what about the game makes it so special to you.
Its a really good game, at least in my opinion.

The beginning of the game is especially amazing. That was peak Square for presentation and storytelling. You are drawn into that mofo right away.

The moment you left Midgar was very epic and memorable when it came out. At that point it felt more like a standard rpg and it was a hell of an adventure.

Honestly what is not to like?

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Because it was the first game I got with my PlayStation and it blew my 6 year old mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It took JRPGs to a completely new place.

I know some people love it because it was their first, but for me, playing the series since the beginning, it was just a *HUGE* shift in graphics and overall feel, especially since when it released, I hadn't gotten much time with VI.

In hindsight, VII is pretty obviously an evolution of VI, albeit 3D and with fancy new ways of doing cutscenes. But for whatever reason, the story and music and everything else just resonated perfectly. It's not my favorite in the series today (XII), but it's still high up there for me, and the remake is a pretty exciting thing.

Oct 28, 2017
A really cool steam-punk esthaetic. A super-fun and flexible materia system. Lots and lots and lots of secrets. A great soundtrack. Fantastic production values for its time. A dark tone, with a sincere sense of humor. Awesome characters that were neither overdesigned nor underwritten (at the time) A cool antagonist (at the time), and the sense of an endless adventure. There is so much to love here!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Like many, it was the first big RPG I finished. Yeah, I played stuff before it (NES/SNES stuff growing up), but only ever finished anything from that era many years later.

So a lot of it is nostalgia. I'm interested in the Remake to see how it holds up today.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't get it either. i can't take anybody serious who plays a game like that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All of these posters saying "it's people's first JRPG" really can't understand that people just genuinely love the game for what it is, warts and all, huh?

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
It came out at the right time and people never really experienced a game on *that* kinda scale before. Doesn't hurt that the game itself was a lot of fun with a charming cast of characters.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Many people's first exposure to a JRPG, and probably the first game with a story, characters, dialogue and drama. Also hit many players at an impressionable age.