Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A friend of mine mentioned Homefront: The Revolution in passing the other day and I thought I'd download it and remind myself of that game. Disappointingly, I found myself met with some of the worst camera controls in a shooter that I have ever experienced.

There is a tremendous input delay, seemingly caused by a mixture of a large deadzone, and a literal input delay where the game takes a moment to respond. On top of that, the menu only features a 'sensitivity' slider, so both aim down sights and regular aiming are at the same sensitivity, making it very difficult to get any sense of precision in the game. Irrespective of everything else in the game, for me this is enough to fundamentally ruin the experience, every fight feels like a struggle with the controls, and I find myself adapting my gameplay around that rather than playing the game in a way that feels natural. For instance, instead of trying to aim at enemies, I'll let them walk into my sightline then shoot, which leads to a more passive and unenjoyable style of play.

Homefront: The Revolution is just one of many games that I've played recently which have fundamentally terrible controls, and control options. And I wanted to make a thread to dedicate towards some of those games for a moment, and hopefully maybe discuss what makes a game control well.

What I really don't understand with this issue that keeps cropping up is that you're willing to spend $20-50 million on development of these often triple A titles, and then you're willing to undermine everyone's development efforts by shipping a game that fundamentally feels difficult to control. Everything you place into your game, fantastic narrative, interesting set pieces, cool gameplay options, are subservient to how your game controls because those core controls are what gets the player from each of those moments to another.

They Feel Fine to Me
I wanted to dedicate a section of this post for the folks that will come here and discredit others experiences with the idea that there's nothing wrong with the controls, because they feel fine to them. Whenever I try and talk about the controls of a particular game, this group of people always exist, and some of them will even tell you that adapting to the awful controls is a matter of 'getting good' at the game, or that the 'stiff controls' are just 'weighty' because that's the 'design intent'.

As someone that's worked in game development across a large number of titles. I have never spoken to a developer that has expressed that they are making their controls unresponsive because they want their game to have a certain (awful) feel to it. The vast, vast majority of these incidences are the result of the development staff either
  • Not knowing what 'good controls' are (their staff don't have the experience in this particular area)
  • Not taking enough time and consideration towards making a game control well
But at the end of the day, it's important to remember that it's not just about you, and that it's about accessibility too. A game that is super snappy and responsive all the time might not be right for someone that does not have strong motor controls, equally a game that requires a lot of stick movement to get anything to happen, might not be ideal for someone that has difficulty with larger motor movements. Crucially, whether you like or dislike a games camera controls as they are, it's important to support the idea that the game should be accessible and feature a robust set of options so that the camera movement can be inclusive for everyone that wishes to play.

Control Gone Wrong

Quake Remake

I very recently picked this up for something like £10 on PSN. This game has awful aim acceleration, and there's no means in which you can turn this off in the menus. On the PC version I hear you can make things a bit better by using the console commands, but anyone on console is out of luck.

Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint
I want to like Ghost Recon games because they provide big open world sandboxes, but there's just so much input lag that the game feels pretty unresponsive.

This is a perfect example of a very-triple A game coming from a team with all the right tools to make it feel good to play, messing things up. I didn't have these issues with Advanced Warfighter or even Future Soldier, so if I were to hazard a guess I imagine the input latency comes as a result of the open world and tech changes between those games.

Doom Eternal
This one isn't so bad once you turn off 'aim smoothing' which basically adjusts your aim to make it look smoother, but less accurate to what you tried to do. Why is a feature that is literally designed to make the game less responsive, enabled by default? I imagine a lot of players played the game with aim smoothing enabled, wondering why the controls felt a bit stiff at times. The options to make adjustments to the controls are... okay, but still lacking when it comes to things like deadzone options and response curves that could make the game feel a lot snappier than it does.

Rust (Console)
Good god where do I begin. This is one of the worst controlling games I have ever played, and the settings are really the icing on the cake. Why does the default control mapping have vertical sensitivity greater than horizontal? Why, no matter what I do in the settings, can I not fix this? While there seems to be a robust set of settings options, it seems as though irrespective of how you adjust them, there's no means to get things just right. I don't know if the settings don't work or what but the controls alone made the game miserable for me. Perhaps they've addressed some of these issues in a patch, but I'm long gone.

Homefront: The Revolution
I mentioned this one at the top, but it comes down to poor settings and high aim acceleration and deadzone issues.

Pay Day 2
Large deadzones, very responsive controls with aim acceleration that seemingly can't be reduced. If I recall correctly there's also no means of adjusting the ads and regular sensitivity independently. I used to have a friend that worked at Overkill and he claimed that the console controls were something of an afterthought, unsurprising given the end result.

Far Cry 3 Remake
Crazy deadzone makes the game almost unplayable. No patch for this yet? There are some deadzone issues in the original too, but that doesn't justify somehow making them worse in the remake. Ubisoft seem to be a common culpret when it comes to these issues.

Paladins
This game has a fair set of options but irrespective of what you do it's difficult or near impossible to get things just right because there are only three response curve options and each of them are quite 'odd'. Paladins also happily matches you with it's PC player base online, who obviously have far fewer concerns with the games controls.

Here's a good reddit post that goes into the issues with more detail than I could, because I haven't played this game in some time.

They also spontaneously changed the aim feel via a patch a few years back, without giving players the option to make their own adjustment forward. A lot of folks liked how it felt before. In general, this is bad practice unless you want to push a lot of players away from your game. If you fix your controls, do it the Uncharted 3 / Killzone 2 way where you provide them with an additional setting that they can enable at their will. If you're worried that players won't notice it, advertise it in-game when these players return.

Uncharted 3
Uncharted 3 somewhat famously shipped it's multiplayer component with awful controls, and Naughtydog had to get members of the community in to come and explain the problem to them before offering a resolution. The baffling thing was that the controls in the multiplayer component of the game were just fine...

This one is especially odd to me because there's clearly a guy at Naughtydog (or there was at the time) that knew what the controls should feel like, because that person ensured the the multiplayer component of the game felt good. What's odd is that that person didn't play the singleplayer and inform the rest of the design team that the controls felt different. Different from the multiplayer, and different from Uncharted 2 and it's multiplayer.

www.eurogamer.net

Uncharted 3 aiming controls to be patched

An upcoming Uncharted 3 patch will offer a fix for those unhappy with the game's refined aiming controls. According to …

I'm not going to mention Killzone 2 here, but that game was in a similar position to Uncharted 3 too, with unresponsive controls out of the gate that ended up being improved via a patch.

Splatoon 1 and 2
Regardless of how you feel about Splatoons implementation of gyro controls (I'm a fan of them personally), the gyro controls in part shine because the regular configuration is really quite poor. There's no option to adjust the games deadzone, and only a basic sensitivity slider is present in the game. So if you don't like how it feels out of the gate you're out of luck.

splatoon-2-tabletop-motion.jpg

Control Done Right

There are a lot of games which I think have 'acceptable' controls. Games like Far Cry 5, Destiny 2, The Division and Destiny all have control schemes which I think for me personally, are good enough for the game to be enjoyable. However, these games still tend to lack options to make adjustments, so there are likely still players who feel that the game doesn't feel right for them.

So when it comes to the games that get their controls right, I think it comes down to three crucial factors...

1. The game needs to feel responsive out of the gate. At first touch I believe the game should have a low deadzone, controllable aim acceleration (or none), and a relatively low sensitivity so that all players feel as though they are in control right away.
  2. Robust and effective settings for players to make adjustments to the controls. Whatever default control configuration you decide upon, there will always be a large group of players that have preferences elsewhere, therefore it's important to offer as robust a set of options as possible so that players can get to something that they like, and ultimately, so that they can get to a point where they feel in control of the game. As well as robust, these settings need to be effective too, as I've seen many devs who include options which are either poorly described, or do not do what they claim.
  3. A space for people to configure the controls without pressure. If you don't want folks to quit your game immediately, don't throw them into a multiplayer match before they've had an opportunity to make adjustments to their controls.
With these attributes in mind, I will highlight a few games that get this right

Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends
I've bundled these together because by and large, they feel the same and offer the same control options. Both of these games feature a good, and very controllable default configuration. Furthermore, they do a fantastic job in letting players customise the feel of the controls to their own liking, through multi-layered options on the games controls.

At the top level we have a fairly basic sensitivity option for both regular aim, and aim down sights, as well as some basic response curve and deadzone adjustments which affect how responsive the controls feel.

apex-legends-controller-settings-1024x685.jpg

But the game also features an advanced set of options, so that players can tweak the controls to their liking.

fy3ysgn6spb51.jpg

This means that anyone playing the game has the option to easily make quick adjustments without delving into a complex set of settings and feeling overwhelmed, but those that want a particular feel to the controls have the option to adjust until they are content. Furthermore, the game features a 'firing range' practice space wherein players can practice and tweak their settings in a pressure free environment.

Battlefield V
Similar to Apex and Titanfall 2, Battlefield hits most of the right notes. It has a robust set of options for players to fiddle with, with both advanced and regular look settings that players can make adjustments to. It's perhaps lacking the degree of control over response curves that Apex has, but it does have a neat option to normalise your sensitivity across ads and non-ads camera movement which is likely valuable to some players. Furthermore, there's a firing range style practice space for players to get comfortable and tweak their settings without pressure.

original

Unlike some other games in this list, battlefield also has a tonne of different aiming conditions to consider. Is the player in a tank? A turret? A plane? And so forth. So it's great that the options allow the player to get into the detail of all of that. Some of the language used in the settings is a little obtuse though, with terms like 'uniform soldier aiming' as a setting, as well as a 'coefficient slider' but these do come with pretty good descriptions.

Call of Duty Cold War
Like the games listed above, this game features a good set of default options and an advanced set of control options. It's definitely lacking more of the advanced options than Apex and Battlefield, which leaves it a little behind, but it does have the essential settings such as deadzone adjustment and also features some options that the other titles don't, such as allowing players to adjust their style of aim assist.

And unfortunately, that's about it. I was going to include Overwatch in the list of games that do it right because on paper I think it fits the part, but the response curve options always feel 'off' to me and I think the settings they offer are a little intuitive, with terms like 'dual zone' and 'exponential ramp' flying around.

Giving Controllers a Bad Name
I think there's a common perception that controls will be bad, or even should be bad because of the very fact, that you're using a controller. The sentiment that 'Controllers are bad for shooters, so what did you expect?' seems common. I think in some cases, this even leads to developers dismissing the idea that they can achieve good results with the how the game feels to play on a controller.

However, irrespective of how you feel about playing games on a controller, what we absolutely do know is that they can be a whole lot better to play with the right configuration and settings. Developers should be taking the time to get this right, and it's pretty sad to see something as central to how the game feels undermine a $20 million
dollar game.

Why is this happening?
I'm not completely clueless as to why this type of thing is happening and I do have a number of suggestions that can be the cause, so I'll go ahead and discuss some of these below.

• Often, sorting out the controls for controller falls onto one person. In many cases a studio will only allocate one, or sometimes two members of staff for how the game feels. In theory this is okay, because if that person does a good job in that role, then that's going to have a good end-result. But in reality, that puts a lot of risk on a very small number of people. What if the controller guy doesn't actually know what a game on controller should feel like? What if they aren't altogether familiar with many of the latest releases, how they control, and what options they have for controller adjustment?
  • Often the games feel and controls aren't assigned as a central objective for playtesting. I've seen this first hand in games that control poorly, it's often simply an assumption that the games controls are 'good' and that that area of the game doesn't need to be the focus of inquiry for user testing. Additionally, players in user tests are somewhat accepting of the games unfinished state, so it's likely that they don't expect to be able to do things like customise the controls or for the controls to feel quite right at that early stage.
  • A lot of people don't 'feel it'. Likely due to the level of familiarity they have and expectations set by other games, only some people seem to notice when the controls have a high deadzone or input lag (hey Stadia advocates). Additionally, it's rare that anyone on a development team has any type of disability that would warrant an advanced level of customisation of the controls. With that said, just because people don't feel something or know how to describe their experiences with that thing, doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. For instance my partner noted that The Witcher 3 was pretty hard, and found it difficult to get Geralt to do what she wanted to at times. I showed her the 'alternative movement controls' in the menu, and her experience was improved. She couldn't put her finger on the issue and only described the symptom (increased difficulty as a result of finding it difficult to move Geralt where she wanted to in combat). It's also not altogether common that people in game dev necessarily play a lot of other games, with a lot of folks finding that they want to get away from their work. For instance a friend of mine works at Codemasters and therefore he gave me a copy of Dirt 5, I asked him to play it with me, and he did for an hour or two, but after which he asked if we could please play anything but racing games because that's all he sees all day at work.

Talking Points

I just wanted to vent about this really because it's incredibly frustrating to pick up a game and find it controls poorly, especially when the solution to many of those issues feels plainly obvious. So thanks for hearing me out, and here are some talking points to help guide discussion...
  • Feel free to share similar experiences with games wherein the camera controls have undermined the experience, particularly when using a controller.
  • Other than that, feel free to talk over any of the issues I've raised in this thread. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my view on any of these games and what you think the issues are.
As always, remain polite. If I upset any of you with the idea that the controls of your favorite game suck, then remember that it's just my experience of them, but all the same, they could probably benefit from better settings to accommodate a wider audience of players.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Funnily enough I was thinking Homefront before entering this thread. Nice write up.

Can't say exactly "why", maybe it's the personnel, maybe it's the engine.

You have infinity ward whose games feel different to treyarch for example, both running on the same engine. You have obsidian releasing both fallout new Vegas and the outer worlds feeling completely different.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I had this recently with Predator Hunting grounds on the PS4, the controls feel super laggy and unresponsive, I think its primarily the frame rate but it may be more.

I don't understand why developers don't pay more attention to it either. The controls are the players primary focus in the game. Players can think your game is shit just because the controls aren't right. Like in Predator Hunting Grounds if I had only ever played that game I would think I was rubbish at first person shooters because I can't hit anything most of the time. But then I can load up Call of Duty on the same console, and have no problems at all.

Like you mention the players won't even know why they hate the game they probably won't even be able to describe it, they will just have problems with it and dislike, and its so stupid because it is something relatively simple to fix, and it will make your game better and much further along to being a good game.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of consumers will never touch or adjust option controls that are put into a game, but I agree more work should be put into the default control set than some games do. And the extra options are indeed welcome. I find it hard to play multiplayer shooters on console other than battlefield because they do a good job of allowing you to fine tune your controls as you mention above.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Great post, OP. It's a testament to how complicated modern game development is when you see so many studios still struggling with the fundamental aspects of their product, like controls, the single most integral component of a game.

So many of these things seem like they should be somewhat standardized by this point, like FPS controls are to a large extent, but game development continues to be a mess.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
People don't want customization. I heard a man straight faced having a lot more options in console games would be too distracting and overwhelming to him even if he never has to touch them.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
People don't want customization. I heard a man straight faced having a lot more options in console games would be too distracting and overwhelming to him even if he never has to touch them.
You'll never get those people but there is a vocal minority that giving more granularity to helps. And at a base level, I think it just shows due diligence and competency from a dev. I think more devs in the shooter market at least are taking this stuff more seriously than they did 5, 10, years ago.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a low priority for developers and given tight budgets and strict deadlines it isn't worth investing in something that most people would never change anyway.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
It's a low priority for developers and given tight budgets and strict deadlines it isn't worth investing in something that most people would never change anyway.
Then they could at least get the base controls right. I think Doom Eternal is a great game but those base controls on console could have been better for a game that is all about the shooting.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Great post and write up. If nothing else, I wish more games would just let you tweak the deadzone so the input feels better. Being able to customize controls and getting everything to feel right is a big reason why I prefer multiplayer games to most singleplayer games

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've tried to get into Homefront a couple of times and really it's the controls which keep putting me off. I think it gets especially bad when combined with the poor frame rate too. I really think 'gamefeel' in FPSs is especially noticeable, and part of why I think Destiny is so damn good to play (even though I don't like the structure of those games).

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I played GR Wildlands and Breakpoint on PC and never noticed any input lag, is this specific to console ? Besides that I think the controls in these games are amazing, while they may be a bit complex, they allow for a LOT of actions and they felt intuitive to me from the get go. I pressed inputs without checking out the controls and everything just seemed to behave the way I expected it to.

Aug 13, 2019
When I read the title, the thing I thought of was how the gameplay in Far Cry 5 was pretty good, and lo and behold, it's in the OP. The controls are also a big reason why I never even considered playing Breakpoint. Then again, I played Far Cry on PC and tried Breakpoint on console, so maybe that was the issue.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I think Apex is a great example of great controls for a shooter and should be the standard as far as I'm concerned.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The console version of Saints Row 3 Remastered is a great example of bad controls in an open world shooter. At least the XBone version but I imagine the others are no different.

With the sensitivity on the right stick cranked all the way up, it's still sluggish, slow, has annoying deadzones, and generally feels unresponsive, and this is with the framerate cap turned off. How the hell the developers didn't find this just a pain to play and fix it is beyond me. The stick is far and away the worst issue in what is an otherwise blast of a game, and makes me regret not picking it up on PC like I should have. A still annoying but less so issue is that the weapon select is on the b-button rather than a shoulder button, stick, or the d-pad. Would make more sense to have an action button like run on the b button and the weapon select on a bumper, but I suspect it was to prevent issues with dodge-rolling which you achieve by pressing the a-button while running, but that seems like a real easy fix for a developer doing an otherwise fantastic remaster of a decade old game.

The aiming sensitivity was especially noticeable after playing RAGE 2 on XBone, and say what you will about the game itself, the aiming in RAGE 2 is quick, accurate, has next to no input lag, and just generally feels as smooth as butter. It boggles the mind that developers don't strive to include responsive aiming controls like that.

Bonus points to Sleeping Dogs which has that annoying aggressive behind the back camera that auto-resets as soon as you stop moving the stick. If memory serves, the Fable series has a similar camera. Why the fuck do developers want to refuse camera control to the player? Is it so difficult to just include an option to turn it off?

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Some people don't want to customize because they think the devs know what they're doing with the default settings. (lol)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

The thing is I think with a game like Battlefield for example, they have a ton of options but that shows how much thought and effort they put into the controls. I would bet that those were mostly just internal options that they used to tweak and adjust the controls to get them just right, and then they decided to make a lot of them public.

You don't need to mess with the options at all to get a good experience though. But some games make it really difficult. I mean if a smaller indie developer is struggling with this maybe doesn't have the resources or know how, they could just expose a lot of these variables in the options. Then let the gamers figure out the best settings and maybe roll them back into the main game. Its better than nothing(but it doesn't help with fundamental stuff like input lag).

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
I admit I use third party accessories many would ban from consoles because they also enable running scripts and using mouse/keyboard... the issues with controls however are too common and easily fixed so why not.

Dishonored 2 would be my most memorable effed up controls. The lag is so bad that you can't even play certain playstyles. You're forced to be more sneaky, which is less fun imo

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Doom Eternal
This one isn't so bad once you turn off 'aim smoothing' which basically adjusts your aim to make it look smoother, but less accurate to what you tried to do. Why is a feature that is literally designed to make the game less responsive, enabled by default? I imagine a lot of players played the game with aim smoothing enabled, wondering why the controls felt a bit stiff at times. The options to make adjustments to the controls are... okay, but still lacking when it comes to things like deadzone options and response curves that could make the game feel a lot snappier than it does.
As someone who usually leaves aim smoothing on with higher sensitivities, I understand the appeal of the feature along with why many turn it off. Using BFV as an example, I play with snap on aim assist off and am able to make small adjustments that feel like a lower sensitivity. Larger turns are still responsive since I run 70% overall sensitivity and I have grown used to this type of control for over a decade.

You always need to have a simplified page up front, and then an advanced page underneath with proper descriptions of course. I understand why people do not want all the options thrown in their face because it is daunting.

The thing is I think with a game like Battlefield for example, they have a ton of options but that shows how much thought and effort they put into the controls. I would bet that those were mostly just internal options that they used to tweak and adjust the controls to get them just right, and then they decided to make a lot of them public.
They added those options in after community requests to do so.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would be useful to have per game system-level options similar to Steam Input configuration. I've managed to alleviate more than a few stick control issues using that. Increasing stick response curves, anti-deadzone options, etc. Great software.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
OP do you know Destiny 2 just updated their control options. Not a whole lot, but like last week they finally implemented look sensitivity, ADS sensitivity and turn speed. Not as much as Apex/BF/or COD but better finally.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

This is me. I don't want hardly any options (the only one I change is invert Y). I've never adjusted anything related to sensitivity/deadzone, even when I think the controls aren't great I just play with what the devs considered their default.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I think this is a very weak argument, you could make the same argument for any accessibility setting. Yet this is both an accessibility option, and also something that potentially affects all users. It's also often fundamental to many of the core design pillars outlined by the games developer, as it directly contributes to game feel.

Heck, you could even make the same argument for almost any game individual game feature, but the reality is that games are products which are more than the sum of their parts, each of those parts matters, and a component that touches every facet of the experience (like controls) is certainly significant.

A lot of folks might not make adjustments to a games controls, but a lot of folks also bounce off games because for some reason in their view the game doesn't 'feel good' to play. Those players don't necessarily label the controls as the issue.

Ultimately, I think everything in game dev is expensive, but if you don't believe making the game feel good to play is an important and impactful component of your experience, maybe games aren't the medium to convey that experience. Additionally, in many cases pushing the games controls in the wrong direction is expensive, if not more expensive too.

Naughtydog seemingly re-designed the control feel for Uncharted 3, which seems like an unexpected cost considering the desired control feel was the same as the controls in Uncharted 2, and then they had to spend even more resources remedying the issue as a result of fan complaints. It's obviously not a 'low priority issue' when it goes wrong, and it becomes more and more expensive to remedy the further your game goes in development.

OP do you know Destiny 2 just updated their control options. Not a whole lot, but like last week they finally implemented look sensitivity, ADS sensitivity and turn speed. Not as much as Apex/BF/or COD but better finally.

Nice! I heard those changes were coming. I don't fully understand why they've taken so long, and why controller players don't have control of features like their sprint turning speed (when PC players already do).

I think game feel is really important for a game like Destiny because its a game focused on player retention, those kind of small niggling issues become reasons that players churn over time. So it's really important to get that type of thing right, that's also why you see games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Apex, Overwatch and whatnot putting more focus on how the game controls. But the reality is that most games today rely on player retention to some extent, be it a literal expansion, a season pass, or just small microtransactions, so you can't just take someones $60 and leave them with a bad experience, it's a foolish decision when factoring long-term revenue.

This is somewhat true. A lot of people do not customise their experiences. 🤷

That's definitely true, but it doesn't mean that they aren't important for those that do use them.

To provide an example most players don't adjust the volume mix of a game (in fact, in observing players I don't think I've seen anyone adjust this). But we always include those because the impact for someone who needs them but doesn't have them is quite high (for instance, someone that can't hear the dialog over the background music).

It's often only a small percentage of your userbase that use any one setting, but those that do often have a good reason for doing so and individually all of those different options add up. If we removed all of them, they would affect a lot of players.

Besides, this isn't just a plea for more options, but for better default settings too. Most of the games on the bad list have at least some issues with their default configuration (though some more minor like Doom and Splatoon, and others more severe like Homefront and Ghost Recon).

Last edited:

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awful controls in shooters.

Killzone 2. You've returned.

The lag in every aspect of control was just... wrong. "But that was just the weightine-" No, go eat a donkey as punishment. Explain the 'weightiness' in the menu screens. Or when pulling the trigger. EVERY gun had a trigger so heavy it took forever for the bullet to pop out? The animation of the character may have signified weightiness, but the universal response time from button press to the first bit of visual confirmation for the ENTIRE GAME was horrible. Why does the act of PAUSING the game have to have 'weightiness'?

And not a shooter but I always get reminded of it when it comes up, but Enslaved. The moment I pressed the confirm button on the title screen on that game, I knew exactly how crap and easy that game's battle system would be; that much lag did not allow for more complex fighting than what was offered. And then Xenoblade Chronicles X at least had the excuse of being an rpg but still... okay gonna stop reminding mysel- GTAV GODDAMN IT

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'll second that Titanfall 2, Apex Legends, and DOOM 2016 are three of the best-playing FPS ever, hands down. However, the one thing they all share is they are for the most part, high-speed/intense/etc types of shooters which I think by default can showcase how great a shooter can feel much more than a more "grounded" experience. To me, the Black Ops series as well as BF 3 and 4 (never played much of 5, and didn't care for the setting of 1) are some of the best in recent years for that style of gameplay.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I think we can all agree it's inexcusable to not have full controller remapping though right? Like why the fuck not at this point.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
I guess I'm part of the "they feel fine" crowd that apparently can't voice their opinion but controls in shooters on consoles generally feel fine.

For me as long as there's the ability to modify sensitivity and to change button layout so that my thumbs rarely have to move away from the sticks I'm a happy camper.

That said I generally play shooters on pc and the shooters on consoles I do play are ones that whose devs have roots in consoles like Destiny, call of duty or titanfall.

Killzone 2. You've returned.

Call me a scrub or whatever but whoever decided to not have aim assist on a console shooters was a douche.

Killzone was not fun to play for this reason.

Oct 27, 2017
This is me. I don't want hardly any options (the only one I change is invert Y). I've never adjusted anything related to sensitivity/deadzone, even when I think the controls aren't great I just play with what the devs considered their default.

This is what I do too but reading this topic I'm now thinking that was a mistake. Sometimes something just doesn't quite feel right with a game and I'm guessing it's mostly the control sensitivity, but it's not something I bother checking.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really so hard to get used to / adapt to shooting controls? I mean, it can take an hour or so but i never have that much issues with it.
Adjust some settings and get going.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is it really so hard to get used to / adapt to shooting controls? I mean, it can take an hour or so but i never have that much issues with it.
Adjust some settings and get going.

Honestly, in many cases the level of precision desired is simply inachievable irrespective of adaptation. If you have something like a high deadzone, then that's a large area of your controller that isn't registering any input, and that makes it very difficult to control. The same goes for something like high aim acceleration. For comparison's sake, it's like having an area of your mousepad that just doesn't work, and being told to 'work around it'.

You can work around it, and often you can still play the game, but that doesn't mean it doesn't constantly detract from the experience.

And that's without even getting into accessibility use cases. For instance you might have a player who needs a low deadzone because they can only make very small motor adjustments, but get fatigued with larger, broader adjustments. Or, you might have someone with something like tremors, where they don't want their involuntary movements picked up by the controller.

It's a vocal minority. It's the same type of people who say they won't play PC games because of options. So god damned stupid.

It does depend on the game a little bit. Like I know my Mum who plays singleplayer shooters is rarely going to complain about the controls, but folks who play more shooters, are more familiar with how they should feel, and play competitive games, definitely care about how they feel, and often adjust their settings.

For competitive shooters, settings videos for games like Call of Duty and Apex Legends are among the most popular.

Genburton has 600k views on a channel with 150k subs, the video is literally viral because people want to look into ways to adjust their settings and make the game feel better for them. I think saying that some players never adjust their settings is totally true, but the reality is that there is in fact a huge audience of players that regularly like to tweak and tune their settings until they get something they're happy with.

Honestly, a lot of my friends won't even play other games because they 'feel different', and if they play another game they'll get a lot worse at the one that they're currently playing. Settings allows that group of players to somewhat homogenize the controls from one game to another, so shifting between games feels natural.

On PC, you have those kind of options already. Setting are fairly standardized between titles and there are websites that can convert your settings from one game into another. On console that's just not the case because the sets of options are invariably completely incompatible.

Last edited: