• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is going on?

• Aluminum ions

Votes: 137 29.2%
  • Shape

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Plastic tastes bad

Votes: 163 34.8%
  • Crazy

Votes: 161 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting a diet coke in a can and like always, soda just tastes much better from an aluminum can compared to a plastic bottle.

Glass bottle is fine too and clearly better than plastic. And it is no matter which kind of soda it is.

I assume it is the same formulation, so

1) Am I drinking aluminum ions and does that influence the taste?
2) Is it something to do with the shape of the opening and how the soda goes into the mouth?
3) Does plastic taste bad?
4) Is it all in my head?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's odd I feel the exact opposite.

I think they taste much better from plastic bottles.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Between this and the rubber band thread, too many Eranians are having fun during the work week. I'm Jelly. Start having less fun people.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
for me it goes:
  1. on tap/fountain
  2. glass bottle
  3. plastic bottle (like, the personal, buy it from a vending machine kind, not the kind you put in the fridge)
  4. can
  5. large plastic bottle (the kind you put in the fridge)

this is with regular coke, specifically--other drinks can vary.

like, the single best way to drink pepsi max is out of a (small, vending machine sized) plastic bottle. it's like a whole different drink. i have no idea why.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Light goes through bottles and attacks the sugary drink taste. Aluminum cans bounce light off so no such tampering happens.

True Story

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's the exact opposite in my opinion. I love soda from a bottle more than I do cans.

Also I don't care what anyone says Coke tastes better at McDonald's.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
definitely doesn't taste better in a can than a bottle but i love that i can put the cap back on the bottle.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fountain > Glass > Can > Plastic Bottle for me.

I find anything in a plastic bottle tastes worse.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, even the way the plastic bottle feels in my mouth is off-putting.

It is a cheap feel.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Why does it taste even better in glass bottles?

Because glass is the most inert material of any other option.

Cans have a polymer lining them that contains BPA. The amount of material that could seep into your drink is extremely minimal and generally doesn't change the taste to any significant degree. Your tongue however is extremely sensitive, and the one time the drink is exposed to metal upon opening it, your taste buds will react accordingly by tasting metal along with your drink which, while again minimal, can have the effect of you thinking it's a wildly different flavor.

Plastic bottles are just the worst. As mentioned with cans, the plastic taste generally doesn't mix well with soda, and depending on the person they can pick up on certain "contaminants" better than others. Plastic also does a horrible job of maintaining CO2 levels. Two bottles, one made of glass and one made of plastic, both appropriately sealed and stashed away can have wildly different CO2 levels when opened at the same time, with the glass being more consistent to the original amount.

This is all of course before we go into things like heat, light, and temperature playing a role. But generally speaking if you want a soda experience closer to what the manufacturer intended, stick with glass bottles. Or make your own syrup.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, even the way the plastic bottle feels in my mouth is off-putting.

It is a cheap feel.

Agree 100%. Plastic also doesn't get cold enough for my liking – I like the cans to come out of the fridge so cold that it physically hurts to hold them for the first couple of minutes until they warm up.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
1. Glass
2. Can
3. Plastic bottle

Trash. Fountain drinks are ass and so random in quality that I fail to understand how anyone could put that at #1. Even if you get the best tasting fountain drink for lunch you could turn around at dinner time and get the most flavorless-colored-like-the-drink-you-wanted-ass-water.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Plastic anything tastes like shit. But nothing can beat this beauty:

milk-bags-500x500.jpg

Sealtest 4L 2% Milk is the GOAT.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
1. Glass
2. Can
3. Plastic bottle

Trash. Fountain drinks are ass and so random in quality that I fail to understand how anyone could put that at #1. Even if you get the best tasting fountain drink for lunch you could turn around at dinner time and get the most flavorless-colored-like-the-drink-you-wanted-ass-water.
Agree with fountains being hit or miss. McDonald's, movie theaters and Sams Club are the only places I can say I've never had a bad fountain drink from.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
It's crazy to me so many like McDonald's soda, the one in my town and the three in the town 15 miles away are always extremely watered down. But seriously glass bottle or cans never plastic lol. I think McDonald's just hates southern Oregon because we let in and out into the area.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Can is best for all variations, then McDonalds...for regular coke, McDonald's diet truly sucks ass for some reason. I wish they had Zero.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if plastic's insulative properties have something to do with it? The temp differences between the air, container and soda?

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I only drink Coke, and it goes:
1. Fountain from anywhere but McDonald's
2. Mexican glass bottle
3. McDonald's fountain
4. American glass bottle
5. Can
6. Plastic bottle