Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, in Movies alone, the 70s gave us:
Star Wars, Jaws, Clockwork Orange, Rocky, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Carrie, Network, one of the first Superman movies...
Yeah but none of that has been influential on:
Blockbusters - oh wait
Horror - ok you've got a point
Sports movies - ok sure
Social critique in films - damn it

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure what to make of the talk about a lack bleakness in modern film and TV. I'd say there are more options these days for such content than the 70's.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just some '70s movies that had a huge influence on genre and trends and still influence films today:

Shaft, A Bay of Blood, The French Connection, Duel, The Devils, The Godfather, Fist of Fury, Five Fingers of Death, The Wicker Man, The Exorcist, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Jaws, Rocky, Eraserhead, Star Wars, Halloween, Alien

Like '80s might be the decade with more overt nostalgia, but '70s cinema is perpetual evergreen bedrock whose influence is everywhere in cinema across basically every genre from indie films to today's biggest blockbusters.

Oct 25, 2017
clearly need a rockstar game set in the 70s or some shit so that current thing is all pervasive rather the 70s influences being more subtle.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I'm honestly not sure what to make of the talk about a lack bleakness in modern film and TV. I'd say there are more options these days for such content than the 70's.
There's more options in general for everything today though, and far more accessible too, so it's perhaps a difference of proportion- you can find way more options for optimistic stuff today too in addition to the darker stuff, and tailor it to watch hundreds of hours of whatever you want pretty easily.

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Nah Star Wars is 70s af

Would be completely different if it started in the 80.

Both ANH and ESB were outright shot in the 70s

Also late 70s isn't closer to the 80s spiritually, the opposite, early 80s are closer to the 70s spiritually
Definitely.

Early '80s still had everyone with shit green refrigerators or yellow/dark brown furniture.

The iconic '80s of neon colors and geometric patterns was prominent in late '80s and carried over to early '90s.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I think the OP's point can be framed more as "Why isn't there an industry of cultural nostalgia production for the 70s the same way there is for the 90s and the 80s and even the 60s sometimes?"

I'm not sure I have the answer, but whatever it is I think its part of why I've really been getting into 70s cinema over the last couple of years, there's something textural to a lot of the output from that era that's incredible refreshing because I haven't had it shoved down my throat since adolescence.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There's more options in general for everything today though, and far more accessible too, so it's perhaps a difference of proportion- you can find way more options for optimistic stuff today too in addition to the darker stuff, and tailor it to watch hundreds of hours of whatever you want pretty easily.

But that's my point. There is no lacking in bleak content. I'd say there has been a glut of it.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
And again, people fail to get what I am saying, but that's probably because I didn't articulate my thoughts well enough in the OP, so I guess I'm sorry for that?
Still, the backlash is insane, but I'm used to Internet forum nerds loving nothing more than to prove someone wrong or own them or whatever. Shows how close we actually are to the alt-right rhetoric, eh? Nevermind.

Anyway, let's try like this - I am aware of the influence disco had on hip hop and the music of the 80s and 90s etc. I said already I am a hip hop fan first and foremost lol, including genres like r&b, dancehall, grime, and everything else, I know about sampling no need to teach me about that.

What I wanted to say was that nothing that is a part of the cultural zeitgeist today can clearly be described as 70s inspired, if you get what I mean.
When I say that no one dresses like they did in the 70s, I'm not talking about your friends or the members of your favorite obscure band, I'm looking at glo al fashion trends.
Likewise, when it comes to music, you won't hear the sound or aesthetic of the 70s being referenced DIRECTLY. Obviously there are some examples like Daft Punk, but none of it is as prevalent as the direct influence of the aound of the 80s or 90s. You have musicians actually trying to look and sound conpetely like they are from that era. Which is a direct influence. The 70s did influence a ton of music, which is still being made today - so the influence is indirect, but you won't hear a song and say - wow, this is so 70s inspired, meaning it has the feel of that era, but it happ3ns often with tje 89s and 90s, that's all.

youtu.be

Silk Sonic Billboard Music Awards 2022 Performance "Love's Train"

Music video by Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic performing Silk Sonic Billboard Music Awards 2022 Performance "Love's Train". Ā© 2022 Aftermath Entertai...

youtu.be

Ginger Root - "Loretta" (Official Music Video)

"Loretta" is track #2 from Ginger Root's EP "City Slicker". Out now on Acrophase Records.Stream now: https://album.link/us/i/1564305258Merch Pre-order: https...

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
DISCO HAS NO INFLUENCE TODAY?

Do you listen to modern pop music at all? Dua Lipa? The new Beyonce album?

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
But that's my point. There is no lacking in bleak content. I'd say there has been a glut of it.
My point is that there's also a glut of optimistic media to balance it out, whereas even kids media in the 70s could be pretty bleak or just plain weird compared to today, without having the option of endless upbeat stuff to balance it out.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And again, people fail to get what I am saying, but that's probably because I didn't articulate my thoughts well enough in the OP, so I guess I'm sorry for that?
Still, the backlash is insane, but I'm used to Internet forum nerds loving nothing more than to prove someone wrong or own them or whatever. Shows how close we actually are to the alt-right rhetoric, eh? Nevermind.
girl-sure-jan.gif

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah lol.

Basically all the older bands that are considered the best and most influential of all time had their most popular songs release in the 70's. I can maybe get the movie argument, even if that means ignoring stuff like Star Wars and Jaws which of course changed cinema forever and the fact that the 70's spawned some of the all-time greatest directors, because there aren't really any Stranger Things-esque throwback movies/series, but the 70's were easily one of the biggest decades ever for music.

That 70s show ran for close to a decade in the early 2000s

Also Greece the Musical (1978) and a bunch of other things.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that there's also a glut of optimistic media to balance it out, whereas even kids media in the 70s could be pretty bleak or just plain weird compared to today, without having the option of endless upbeat stuff to balance it out.

That's true of everything though and not because the 70's are forgotten or irrelevant. There are more options for everything from TV shows to food to eat while nothing in particular dominates, or at least not for very long.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Just some '70s movies that had a huge influence on genre and trends and still influence films today:

Shaft, A Bay of Blood, The French Connection, Duel, The Devils, The Godfather, Fist of Fury, Five Fingers of Death, The Wicker Man, The Exorcist, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Jaws, Rocky, Eraserhead, Star Wars, Halloween, Alien

Like '80s might be the decade with more overt nostalgia, but '70s cinema is perpetual evergreen bedrock whose influence is everywhere in cinema across basically every genre from indie films to today's biggest blockbusters.
Alien alone has to be one of the most influential films of all time. And it also influenced a ton of games, like Metroid.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP's point can be framed more as "Why isn't there an industry of cultural nostalgia production for the 70s the same way there is for the 90s and the 80s and even the 60s sometimes?"

I'm not sure I have the answer, but whatever it is I think its part of why I've really been getting into 70s cinema over the last couple of years, there's something textural to a lot of the output from that era that's incredible refreshing because I haven't had it shoved down my throat since adolescence.

~20 years ago we had movies and TV like That 70s Show, Anchorman, Starsky and Hutch, Black Dynamite, and bands like Wolfmotherā€”these feel pretty comparable to the 90s nostalgia stuff we see currently all the time aimed at 20somethings to 30somethings. And that's not to mention the whole wave of indie guitar rock bands deeply influenced by 70s rock and post-punk. That's less directly nostalgic than the comedy and TV, but it was absolutely a huge revival of 70s cultural influence.

We'll probably not see 70s revival become part of the monoculture againā€”we're on the precipice of 2000s culture nostalgia rnā€”but you'll see its influences forever. Silk Sonic, Deathloop, etc etc.

Nov 4, 2017
I mean rock music is irrelevant nowadays, people do know that here, right?
What do you base that on exactly? You deserve the backlash in this thread for that faceplantingly bad take on its own. Also disco and punk having no influence... Wow. Maybe try turning on a radio, looking at some music charts or just seeing what's popular on the landing page of your music streaming app of choice?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Broadly I'd agree that 70's nostalgia isn't nearly so much a thing as 80's/90's, but I can't agree with the idea that disco has no influence today given Lizzo and BeyoncƩ's most recent record releases
The 70s are so long ago that the 20-year cycle happened 20 years ago -- I'm old enough that the 70s revival of stuff like bellbottom jeans and VW Beetles happened during my formative years of the late 90s. Hell, Cher had a #1 hit in 1998 with "Believe (Life after Love)".

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
That's true of everything though and not because the 70's are forgotten or irrelevant. There are more options for everything from TV shows to food to eat while nothing in particular dominates, or at least not for very long.
I was replying to your point about there being more bleak stuff today with how that proportion of 'more of optimistic stuff too' wasn't there in the 70s. I wasn't suggesting the 70s are forgotten or irrelevant. My point was that there is so much of everything instantly available today that you can watch whatever you want, but in the 70s you were restricted to what was at the cinema and what was being broadcast at that moment on TV. So you couldn't curate your own media to the same extent. It's a matter of choice and curation rather than the sum total of what's available. One example that springs to mind is how a lot of the 1970s Dr Who stories are a lot darker than today, and that's down to the Cold War and post-war themes and background behind it as the writers poured that into stories. That would likely be 45 minutes of the only 90 minutes of kids tv on any of the 3 channels available that day. Whereas today if you're a kid and you don't want to see the Daleks exterminate people and the Doctor talk about whether he has the right to finally wipe their species out, you can press a button to queue up several hours of Bluey for feelgood vibes instead.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
At least we got a stealth thread why the 70's were awesome for music and film.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
This statement is a close-minded and ridiculous as the OP lol
Well, for the fans of rock bands we definitely don't have the great bands they had back then. The last 'mainstream' rock bands were the grunge bands from the 90's.
It might just be me, but I don't feel today's music, it doesn't move me like Bohemian Rapsody or Stairway to heaven did. There's no depth to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Idk I feel like I never had much 80s or 90s nostalgia because the 70s were always more interesting to me growing up and now.

Jun 10, 2018
Edit: misread that post.

However, I do want to shoutout giallo movies like Suspiria, who even Carpenter himself has said influenced his work

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is also thinking of it in discrete chunks of time rather than a constant flow of influences and culture. Nothing is an island so everything from the 80s is directly influenced by what came before. Everything in the 80s that someone would consider influential comes straight from developments and trends in the 70s or reactions to the 70s/60s.

Also you're detecting cynicism in the 70s because it was a cynical time. The ongoing Vietnam War, Kent State right in 1970, Watergate, Recession, energy crisis, tons of political violence. That was all reflected in the art and culture. It was no longer the '67 summer of love. MLK and Robert Kennedy were assassinated in '68 and then we entered the 70s.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
What a narrow view of culture overall. If I do not see it or know about it, it clearly does not exist.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those threads where it's damn near pointless to respond to the OP. No matter what you say they move the goalposts or just claim no one's reading their posts. Pointless to respond to, but interesting to watch all the jumping through hoops they do.

I also feel like this is a stealth "Oh, you olds just don't understand the world!" thread with posts like
"I mean rock music is irrelevant nowadays, people do know that here, right?" and "Like, I know people here don't know who Travis Scott is, but seriously?"

Now to decide if I should just put them on ignore or wait and see what stupid shit they say next.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for the fans of rock bands we definitely don't have the great bands they had back then. The last 'mainstream' rock bands were the grunge bands from the 90's.
It might just be me, but I don't feel today's music, it doesn't move me like Bohemian Rapsody or Stairway to heaven did. There's no depth to it.
It's because you're old. Listen to yourself, you sound like your old man.

Jun 10, 2018
This is one of those threads where it's damn near pointless to respond to the OP. No matter what you say they move the goalposts or just claim no one's reading their posts. Pointless to respond to, but interesting to watch all the jumping through hoops they do.

I also feel like this is a stealth "Oh, you olds just don't understand the world!" thread with posts like
"I mean rock music is irrelevant nowadays, people do know that here, right?" and "Like, I know people here don't know who Travis Scott is, but seriously?"

Now to decide if I should just put them on ignore or wait and see what stupid shit they say next.
The irony of OP arrogantly insinuating others don't know of a musician he knows of within the context of the thread topic has not been lost on anyone lol

Rather than admit being wrong OP is, as you and others have stated, "moving the goalposts".

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like the 70s has kind of a "middle child" syndrome compared to the 60s and the 80s, which are more prominent in their cultural legacy. The 70s are a lot more quiet and downbeat compared to the revolutionary optimism of the 60s and the commercialized glitz of the 80s.

But that's what makes it so good!

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely cannot believe OP got that many words out of an idea that is just blatantly incorrect. The influence 70s cinema, music, and fashion had can be seen everywhere even today.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
One more I hadn't seen mentioned yet- The Clash, and more specifically, London Calling. The title of which references the BBC World Service during WWII, with the lyrics referring to 'a nuclear error' (Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania, the biggest accident in US commercial nuclear power history). Also police brutality ('that truncheon thing').

Anyway- this seems like 1970s punk rock that's still pretty relevant in 2022 to me:

In March 2022, surviving members of The Clash gave permission to Ukrainian punk band Beton, which means "concrete" in Ukrainian, to rewrite the lyrics to London Calling. The song was produced in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and mixed in Los Angeles by music producer Danny Saber. All proceeds from the song were designated to help fund war efforts.
en.m.wikipedia.org

The Clash - Wikipedia

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The 80s are just I'm vouge because the kids that grew up in that period are experiencing midlife nostalgia.
The 70s had their come back in the late 90s and the 90s kids will have their nostalgia one day soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
If movies in the 1970s felt bleak, that was a reflection of a pretty tough cultural time and some painful changes: a global energy crisis; Vietnam; the Olympic massacre in Munich; just a few years removed from some truly seismic political assassinations that disenchanted a lot of people about politics and social change; the Iran revolution; political assassinations in Korea and CIA-sponsored upheavals in Chile.

There's also just the New American Cinema mandate to be more serious in general, to take things without irony. The New American Cinema is directly responsible for how we think about Hollywood auteurism today, and the biggest names from that period still hold sway as the patron saints of American moviemaking. We don't get Paul Thomas Anderson without the 1970s, we don't get so much of how we think about directors and film culture.

But even all this nostalgia about the bleakness of 1970s cinema or the New American style is a bit of modern tunnel vision. There were tons of stupid, fun movies in the 1970s. This is the decade of Smokey and the fucking Bandit, for god's sake. Star Wars, Jaws. The most cartoonish version of James Bond. It's the decade of Shaw Brothers kung fu. Planet of the Apes sequels. There's a direct line to Marvel movies here. We don't get Marvel films without the 1970s. The entire approach to mass market big budget adventure movies started in the 70s.

We don't get RRR without Sholay. How many Indian adventure movies are still trying to echo Sholay's cocktail of bittersweet wild adventure romance epic?

Siskel and Ebert started in the 1970s. Youtube reviews, vlogs about movies, """film twitter"", none of this happens without thoes guys and how they democratized an approach to movie criticism. The 1970s is the decade of Derrida, Foucault, all the big theorists about language and literature.

In terms of music, the entire indie rock owes its core to the 1970s. How many indie rock bands would give their front teeth for a single Fleetwood Mac melody? When acts like Calvin Harris or Daft Punk do their thing, you see a lot of comments like "lol this is so 1980s!!" but just about everything about their work, even the aesthetic of their music videos, is inherited from the 1970s. I don't think we get Lady Gaga without the 1970s. We don't get so much about how we think about pop music style and fashion. Bruno Mars is straight out of the 1970s.

I could go on...

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I think this is a case of "it's not being used all the time like Stranger Things" and other stuff which keeps propping up the 80s.