• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Avengers: Infinity War on Netflix. There's a hilarious scene where Rhodes tells Captain America and Black Widow that they "look like crap."

Like what the hell? Black Widow and Captain America look like they just walked off a shampoo commercial.

That kind of got me thinking. One of my favorite things about 70-90's blockbusters was that many actors/actress could look beautiful in a "down to earth" way. Carrie Fisher in Star Wars, Karen Allen in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Bruce Willis in Die Hard, Sylvester Stallone in Rambo and Rocky, etc.

The best example of what I mean is Michael Biehn in The Terminator. He looks like a war-torn, hardened veteran from the apocalyptic future, while still looking ruggedly handsome.
terminator-1984-linda-hamilton-michael-biehn.jpg

Then compare the same character as played by Jai Courtney in Terminator Genisys.
Jai-Courtney-in-Terminator-Genisys-2015-1200x520.jpg

He looks like a super model. I can't buy this guy as being this hardened soldier from an apocalyptic future.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
I think it's in their contracts. I mean look at every scene where the woman has just waken up. Ridiculous.

I'm guessing the high definition camera changed everyone's mind.

We watched birdbox and my husband was like Sandra looks like she has a full lash set and eyeshadow.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I think what OP is trying to say is they don't really dirty these characters up like they did in older Hollywood and Hong Kong action movies

and young Michael Biehn was fucking gorgeous.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't mind it too much since hey, I'm fine with looking at pretty people in blockbuster films, but it's true that I can't help but chuckle every time someone says "you look like shit" in a Hollywood film.
No, they really don't.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. A lot of studios started to crack down on how much blood you can show on someone in a PG-13 movie, even though the actual rating system hasn't changed. The MPAA is incredibly arbitrary and stupid (see also: This Film Is Not Yet Rated)
2. Movies are harder and more expensive to make and they decided to minimize the amount of time it takes to apply realistic amounts of blood makeup to a person. You have to cut costs and time somewhere

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being in good shape makes most people at least attractive I'd say. So the vast majority of superheroes would be attractive.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I kinda get what you're saying OP. At some point you get tired of looking at the same old conventionally attractive people. It becomes a bland meme

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Captain America was so attractive looking in Infinity War that it was distracting. That's a beautiful fucking man.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Because they're attractive? How is this a question?
I get the argument. I mean, yeah, cast supermodels for big-name AAA roles because that's clearly the established standard but don't be afraid to make them look like they just got beat up all to hell if that's what the circumstances of the plot clearly dictate. To do otherwise takes the viewer out of the moment. (And that doesn't necessarily entail blood, either.)

Chris Evans doesn't have a problem with looking like shit on camera, either. I've seen Snowpiercer.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong. That line of dialogue doesn't make any sense

gzaFZ4h.jpg

Just look at those crappy looking people. I bet Captain America spend only one hour to trim that beard right.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, look at the source material for comic book movies - perfect bodies and faces for nearly every single character drawn on the page. Attractive people being the draw for a movie or TV show (no doubt Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin contribute heavily to the viewership of Arrow and Flash).
Honestly I like it a lot because you get movies like Black Panther where you see numerous examples of black attractiveness on screen, which contributes to pulling standards of beauty away from traditional whiteness.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
You have a point when it comes to people looking too clean all the time in film, but there's no such thing as being too attractive to be a soldier. There are hot people in every profession.

And Yaboosh has a good point too. Taking good care of yourself tends to make you look more attractive. And Marvel super heroes are super fit.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No producer planning a multi million dollar hit is going to hire ugly or out of shape people. These movies are made for the largest demographics so they required fit white men and women.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're superheroes. Throw that same criticism at the recent DC movies. Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are basically models. So was Christian Bale.

Last edited:

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don Cheedle looking like a jacked skeleton saying that never made any sense to me. Like, ok, he's joking around sure but I'm not really sure how you can say that to bearded Chris Evans and Scarlet Johansson at any point.

That's also why I hate watching any movie set in ancient times. Everyone looks like they do P90X 20 times a day and they have really slick gel'd up hair. Like c'mon.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because audiences like to watch attractive people.
Or at the very least, people who make movies think that they do.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, look at the source material for comic book movies - perfect bodies and faces for nearly every single character drawn on the page.
It's actually jarring how chiseled most superhero comic characters look. The "models" from the movie adaptation typically have 10 times more character in their appearance than their drawn source material.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty actors has always bee the norm. Steroids freaks that emulate some of the 80's testosterone though, that's a new thing.
kilmershl.jpg

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Rhodes was referring to her new blonde look. Because I agree in that regard YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED A REDHEAD BLACK WIDOW.