Votes: 149 31.3%
  • Henry is doing just fine

Votes: 151 31.7%
  • Henry should've starred in Thor 2

Votes: 46 9.7%

• Total voters

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
He's never shown a ton of range, but he's exceedingly handsome, and that combination pigeonholes him in the eyes of casting directors. He won't have a hard time finding work, but he also won't get many chances to challenge himself.

I bet the right director could get something really interesting out of him. Mission Impossible makes me think that he has potential as a heavy, as some beautiful, brutish bastard.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He needs to get a new agent. His agent up until a year or so ago was part of Dwayne Johnson's nepo production house/agency. A bunch of incompetent fuckups.

"They need a new agent" seems to be a go-to for actors here which seems wild considering guys like Cavil are constantly getting major roles. His agent seems to be doing a fine job. He's actually just not that talented of an actor and seems be right around where he belongs in the Hollywood hierarchy as big, muscly handsome white guy.

To be honest I think his overall stature is probably overrated in certain circles because he does a lot of "nerd" stuff (superman, Warhammer, Witcher) and is a self described PC/board game nerd himself.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He doesn't seem to want more dramatic roles or anything more than nerd franchise and action/action-comedy fare. Unlike Chris Hemsworth, if we are going by hunk actors. So I don't agree his team have screwed the pooch, they just know what he's capable of and provide that for him.

Feb 16, 2022
"They need a new agent" seems to be a go-to for actors here which seems wild considering guys like Cavil are constantly getting major roles. His agent seems to be doing a fine job. He's actually just not that talented of an actor and seems be right around where he belongs in the Hollywood hierarchy as big, muscly handsome white guy.
The problem isn't that he's not getting jobs. The problem is he doesn't get roles that play to his strengths.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Idk, obviously he's hot AF.

Personally don't think he's that great an actor but are any of the other "hunks"?

Probably just bad luck

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
he's was a great OG, classic superman, but got Snyder'd

his ideal style is action with lighthearted tone and charm, but non-serious action is not a box office draw anymore (at least not enough to justify $250m+ budgets). the genre is now a synonym for "wait for netflix". The Fall Guy's recent underperformance continues the trend.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"They need a new agent" seems to be a go-to for actors here which seems wild considering guys like Cavil are constantly getting major roles.

Seriously. This dude got SUPERMAN. Mother fucking Superman. Like, there aren't many roles out there bigger than that. Then he got the lead in a Netflix show. And was in a Tom Cruise franchise. And is theoretically going to be the lead in an Amazon show.

For someone who isn't a great actor (not saying he is awful, just nothing amazing either), I would say his agent is doing great work.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I personally think his role in The Man from UNCLE is vastly superior to his Mission Impossible outing, which made me think he could actually play a decent Bond

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
First of all I think Cavill's bank account is probably doing fine, so I assume we're talking critical as opposed to commercial here.

I think he ends up playing more stoic characters like Geralt and Superman, whereas he's best in roles like Ungentlemanly Warfare where his character actually has some charisma and is a lot of fun to watch.

Henry is like ULTRA charismatic so he needs to be in roles in which he can bring that charisma out
sadly a lot of those roles have been in the type of movies that don't really put butts in the seats

I think it's this. He can be extremely charismatic and that doesn't come out, when you give him a role that requires him to be all buttoned up.

And maybe that's what he's offered, maybe it's what he likes, but he definitely does best in these types of roles.

He's great in The Tudors and The Man From Uncle, and extremely likeable, easily elevating both of those.

John Lark is a character that's cool in a moment but after the movie's done, you think about him and realize he's such an incompetent loser

I think this is the thing that proves it.

I agree with you, Lark is a crap villain really and kind of snidey. He's not meant to be likeable.

But you sort of do.

Feb 16, 2022
I think he absolutely is, moreover he's probably taking the roles he wants at this point. It's not like his agent is turning down Paul Thomas Anderson or Martin Scorcese scripts on his behalf.
What are his strengths that aren't being capitalised on? I don't have the faintest idea what's missing.
Roles like MAN From Uncle or Argylle, which does show he's capable more lighthearted, unserious characters. He needs more roles like that. Not the stoic, silent tough guy like Geralt. Dude's a very likable guy, they need to capitalize on that.

He was even wasted in Enola Holmes. A good role for him, but he's barely a supporting character in those movies.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, he doesn't make me want to watch a movie more or less. He's just kinda bland and forgettable.

Didn't even realize he was in Argylle until way after I saw it haha

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Henry's peak
93c87f40-9064-11e8-90dc-81a1507304c1_source.gif
What movie is this?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Roles like MAN From Uncle or Argylle, which does show he's capable more lighthearted, unserious characters. He needs more roles like that. Not the stoic, silent tough guy like Geralt. Dude's a very likable guy, they need to capitalize on that.

He was even wasted in Enola Holmes. A good role for him, but he's barely a supporting character in those movies.
But he's getting roles like that. Like you already listed the examples that he hasn't been stopped from getting those roles up to this year. His strengths are being capitalised.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
First of all I think Cavill's bank account is probably doing fine, so I assume we're talking critical as opposed to commercial here.

I think it's this. He can be extremely charismatic and that doesn't come out, when you give him a role that requires him to be all buttoned up.

And maybe that's what he's offered, maybe it's what he likes, but he definitely does best in these types of roles.

He's great in The Tudors and The Man From Uncle, and extremely likeable, easily elevating both of those.

I think this is the thing that proves it.

I agree with you, Lark is a crap villain really and kind of snidey. He's not meant to be likeable.

But you sort of do.
I mean, in a way that the writing clearly wants you to think Lark is some sort of badass villain who took Hunt to his limit but then you remember his first scene involved him being cocky and eating shit in a lightning storm and if Hunt didn't save him, we wouldn't be a villain

and then he needed to cheat to beat Alec Baldwin in a fist fight lmao

he's a villain who's extremely hard to take seriously in any form.

I'm gonna single him out though since outside of 3, every MI movie had godawful villains

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

He gets those roles though, but he's also kind of peaked. Like he's had a shot at every big role for an action focused actor and has a dedicated fan base. He even gets a shot in similar roles with big budgets despite underperforming financially and critically. In that spot,most actors would be doing second tier cable shows and low-mid budget streaming originals and Cavil still basically has carte blanche to do whatever.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I mean, in a way that the writing clearly wants you to think Lark is some sort of badass villain who took Hunt to his limit but then you remember his first scene involved him being cocky and eating shit in a lightning storm and if Hunt didn't save him, we wouldn't be a villain

I'm gonna single him out though since outside of 3, every MI movie had godawful villains

He's a meathead. You're supposed to recognize him as a meathead.

That lightning scene is their first mission together and he balls it up by being a meathead. Later on, Hunt tricks the meathead and gets away from his trap.

And I don't like meatheads. Or mustaches.

But I like Cavill in that role, is all I'm saying.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Not everyone in a movie is meant to be a star.
I love seeing people blame his Superman on Snyder. Without Snyder casting him, would we even know who he is besides some dude who used to be in Tudors and once had a starring role in a crappy movie called Immortals? If it was a different director, what's the chance he would have gotten Supes? Unless Cavill was cast before Snyder came aboard.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Geralt is probably the best example of a role that plays to his strengths lol

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

Really just 4 because they didn't really write one.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
needs to expand his range a bit, should do more theater work

Apr 27, 2020
I think Henry is a "ok" actor. The problem has been stans hyping him up to be one of the GOATs because he's an attractive dude, is a nice guy and starred in big a role they liked. He's been around for nearly 20 years, if he hasn't reached "Superstardom" yet then it's likely he never will, and that's ok. Like another user mentioned, not everyone is meant to be a star. I'm still waiting for Jodie Comer to blow up but I'm fine with the fact that it might not happen.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
To everyone asking what Cavill has that isn't being appreciated, I think he's got the same issue that Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth had, where Hollywood sees a hot white guy and decides they must be leading men, even though they are boring as generic leading men, but excel when allowed to get weird. I think Cavill knows this too, which is why he's trying to pivot to somewhat zanier directors like Vaughn and Ritchie. Those haven't clicked but I think he's on the right track.

Spagward

Apr 24, 2024
Henry gets way too much nerd cred because he openly plays games. He is not a particularly good actor and his portrayal of Superman in particular was awful. You can try to pin that on the production all you want but he has done that role in multiple films with different creatives and still came off as a wooden, smarmy, somewhat creepy version of the character. The only movie I felt he was decent in was Mission Impossible and that was hardly a leading man role that required a lot of range from him. He simply isn't fit to playing the MC in a show or movie. Any project putting him front and center is going to have issues right off the bat due to bad casting.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
To everyone asking what Cavill has that isn't being appreciated, I think he's got the same issue that Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth had, where Hollywood sees a hot white guy and decides they must be leading men, even though they are boring as generic leading men, but excel when allowed to get weird. I think Cavill knows this too, which is why he's trying to pivot to somewhat zanier directors like Vaughn and Ritchie. Those haven't clicked but I think he's on the right track.
I mean I get it from the Channing Tatum sense, it's just I don't get the decade long journey of him starring in many blockbusters trying to make it happen and still being invested as a viewer.

Hell, as many chances as Ryan Reynolds got, it's not like none of those movies were good.

Chris Hemsworth did Rush all the way back in 2013.

Chris Pine had Hell or Highwater.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, he did well as superman, the fall of those movies had absolutely nothing to do with him. Similarly he did, personally I thought, pretty good as Geralt in the witcher, tho I wasn't high on him in the role at first so maybe the low expectations help... but again that series kinda missed the mark not really due to him IMO.

it's easy to say in retrospect 'pick better projects' but you just can't tell as an actor how a project is going to go beforehand. Snyder at the time was a pretty sure bet even if his quality was always shakey. He's put himself in pretty decent roles on paper that tend to not work out or really give him a huge opportunity to do something specifically noteworthy. So overall I'd say unlucky I guess. Or maybe at worst he's not able to self evaluate and sell specifically what he's capable of to make sure he ends up with directors who are invested in letting him really shine. The closest is something like the witcher which he pushed for but that's where I think he maybe wasnt able to really push why he should be in the role and showcase it? or the directors/showrunners wound up not being interested which is also very possible being as he left for creative differences right?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
He's about on par with Hemsworth. Internet loves to thirst after them, but they're not good actors.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
He needs to follow Hugh Jackman's career for sure. Let go of the vanity a bit to let him take on both macho and everyman/romantic roles.
a singing coach and some time on broadway will do him wonders no doubt, he's got a lot of charm but it needs to break its way out into his performances

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Been following his career since The Tudors. That show was all the proof I needed that was a solid actor. He's had some bad luck but otherwise I think he's doing just fine. Even if his career ended today he's well past point of actually needing to do more.

Spagward

Apr 24, 2024
He was perfect as Geralt, though. The problems in The Witcher weren't caused by his casting
I agree, but Witcher's writing also wasn't good enough for his deficiencies to matter. If the show was better he would start to stick out like a sore thumb. DC movies weren't good either but they had just enough going on for his Superman to feel wrong.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He's about on par with Hemsworth. Internet loves to thirst after them, but they're not good actors.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.

Any who, his career is fine. It's just that big budget Hollywood films, outside of existing franchises, is exceedingly rare. So, unless he dons another cape or gets behind the seat of a Furious Car, there aren't a lot of big budget Hollywood roles for him.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Cavill hasn't really shown much acting chops from the films I've seen him in. He seems to get by on his looks and doesn't change up his characters much.

I'd love to see him break out of his box and play an obscure role, but it hasn't happened yet.

American Psycho or something. Do it Hollywood.

Oct 27, 2017
He got stuck in the wrong era. He would have probably excelled in the 90s-early 00s. Now everything is I.P. driven and you don't need necessarily a big, burly, handsome guy to lead your action film anymore.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
1. He was unlucky enough to be cast as Superman in movies directed by a guy who wanted Superman to be a dour, cranky, scary monster, none of which are Cavill's strengths in terms of performance.

2. The Snyder movies unfortunately created an image that casting directors and marketing departments still insist on using for him as a big muscly dude staring you down on the poster.

3. Cavill has had enough leading roles in enough different movies that it's very clear he simply isn't an opening weekend draw for the mass audience.

4. Even if he could open a movie strong, we are in an era of movies where movie stars don't sell tickets. People don't go to see a movie because a particular actor is in it, they go to see it if they're interested in the movie's premise, IP, or story. This is why The Fall Guy, packed with stars including an Oscar nominee from this year, barely made a dent while Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which has no recognizable stars in it, is doing gangbusters. See also Godzilla x Kong.

Combine all that together and you've got a real bad situation for Henry Cavill. If I were his agent (and he hopefully has gotten a better agent in the last year or two, especially after Argylle), I'd be pushing for him to be in supporting roles and encouraging him to focus hard on making that Warhammer show a possible Fallout style breakout hit.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I think he ends up playing more stoic characters like Geralt and Superman, whereas he's best in roles like Ungentlemanly Warfare where his character actually has some charisma and is a lot of fun to watch.
The thing about Ungentlemanly Warfare is that Alan Richardson totally stole the show as the psychotic Dane. Cavill was fine, but his character wasn't terribly interesting compared to his cohorts.