• Total voters

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
He is very unlucky

The Superman/ Witcher stuff was nuts

The projects hes on falter through no fault of his own... hes great

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
At least he'll always have Mission: Impossible - Fallout, which is more than most mid actors can say.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
"Everyone seems to love Henry."

Where did you get this idea from?

He's not a draw, and I have no idea why he's still being talked about as if he's a draw.

There's a ton of these mid to low level white action guys. They aren't stars.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
He just doesn't stick out in anyway to me. In a sea of good looking actors he's easy to forget.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but he is not a bad actor certainly not as bad as some are portraying him to be.he was excellent in The Tudors and showed his acting chops very early on.

Yes this...watching The Tudors as it aired, his debut drew me to him immediate, he was very charismatic, cock-sure playboy type, but also changed as the character aged and relations strained. It put him on my radar from then on, well before The Witcher, DC stuff, or even The Immortals

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
He's a Warhammer 40K mega-nerd who is getting paid to executive produce and star in a Warhammer 40K cinematic universe on Amazon. He's basically getting a shot at his dream job, so I think his career is probably exactly where he wants it to be right now.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
I dont know what happened to Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Guy Ritchie direction, stars on the cast, yet the movie simply didn't get a theatrical release in my country

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
"Everyone seems to love Henry."

Where did you get this idea from?

He's not a draw, and I have no idea why he's still being talked about as if he's a draw.

There's a ton of these mid to low level white action guys. They aren't stars.

Building a PC and being "our guy" nets you a hardcore Redditor fanbase and not much else

Mr. Floyd

Apr 30, 2023
NZ
He's very bland. I rooted for him because I'm a big Superman fan, but he wasn't a good Superman and I haven't liked him in much else.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think he's super charismatic and I don't think he's chosen enough roles or worked with the right people that really showcase it. He could have been an incredible Superman if Snyder wasn't such a self-serious grifter high on his own farts. I hope we get him working with Guy Ritchie more.

Side note but I love him as Sherlock in the Enola Holmes films.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I don't dislike the guy or anything, I just don't find him much of a draw. He should do some more artsy projects to build up his cred instead of these action movies nobody has any attachment to. Get in some A24 movies or something.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of ERA I've never heard anybody refer to Cavill as a bad actor so I'm kinda baffled reading this.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Outside of ERA I've never heard anybody refer to Cavill as a bad actor so I'm kinda baffled reading this.
I promise you this isn't a unique enough take to not be found elsewhere. 99% of Era takes aren't.

I don't think he's a bad actor personally, I just don't get the rally behind him still after all this time, what is this great potential that we're being denied that's been worth chance after chance after chance after chance.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I mean he seems to be doing just fine. Yes the superhero stuff didn't pan out as well as it really should have but he's been working consistently in both TV and film in some relatively high profile stuff.

It seems to me like the relative failure of his DCU stuff makes people think that he's not done well but he's done just as well as other actors in those kind of films. Look at Chris Evans, Knives Out aside I'd say that pretty much all of his output since Endgame has been pretty middling at best and I say that as a huge fan of the guy but no-one seems to be questioning hsi choices or popularity.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Cavill is a good looking guy with minimal acting ability. He can shine in a more supporting role but absolutely cannot carry a film.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I promise you this isn't a unique enough take to not be found elsewhere. 99% of Era takes aren't.

I don't think he's a bad actor personally, I just don't get the rally behind him still after all this time, what is this great potential that we're being denied that's been worth chance after chance after chance after chance.

I'm not saying he's Oscar worthy or something like that but I feel like people (outside of ERA) agree on he's been a really good Superman and by far the best thing about The Witcher and good in Enola Holmes and Mission Impossible.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Every friends wife on FB seems to love this dude and as long as that's the case I'm assuming he will still be cast in roles.

Aug 31, 2019
I'm not saying he's Oscar worthy or something like that but I feel like people (outside of ERA) agree on he's been a really good Superman and by far the best thing about The Witcher and good in Enola Holmes and Mission Impossible.
TBF this is in response to a thread wondering why he's being underrated by the industry, so I think a natural reaction to that will come off sounding like you're saying he's overrated. Which to be fair, by a certain segment of the population, he is. FWIW I think he's had a couple of ok to decent roles but is otherwise largely forgettable. It does not feel surprising that he hasn't blown up into megastar, but he's clearly still getting work so that's fine?

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
TBF this is in response to a thread wondering why he's being underrated by the industry, so I think a natural reaction to that will come off sounding like you're saying he's overrated. Which to be fair, by a certain segment of the population, he is. FWIW I think he's had a couple of ok to decent roles but is otherwise largely forgettable. It does not feel surprising that he hasn't blown up into megastar, but he's clearly still getting work so that's fine?
Pretty much, Henry just feels like an odd subject for this kind of thing after all this time compared to say Ariana DeBose post Oscar win (also in Argylle if you can remember that).

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
He was a bit of a bully who only wanted to go as far as Ipswich. Where I wanted to see the world.

I liked him in his limited role in Stardust

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe, just maybe Henry needs to pick better projects. Obviously there is a luck component to this as well, but it's been a patern going back decades now.

And it's not like he's a starving actor either, he's doing fine.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
His role in Enola is definitely more in his niche. Good screen presence for a supporting character.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
As a non-native english speaker, I never heard 'to screw the pooch' and totally expected the topic to be something very sexual. Bit disappointed by the actual meaning tbh.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Cavill is another good looking white dude in a field full of good looking white dudes, many of whom are better at choosing projects to boost themselves and having talent that Cavill lacks. He's by no means a bad actor but I personally find him rather wooden, even in roles that people seem to love him in like The Witcher. He is an outspoken nerd though so he's got his more hardcore "he's like us" fans which colors the conversation online.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
He has very good PR.
Back when the Snyder DCU was alive, I think the press on him wasn't that great. Most online talk was geeks angry at how his movies ruined Superman.
Then he started pandering to the same audience that hated him, lots of people champion him as "one of us", and a buff handsome sex symbol having nerdy hobbies is cute even for people who don't know what Warhammer is.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He may not be the most talented actor, but he seems easy to work with and that can be enough to have a healthy career.

He just needs his "Deadpool" moment, if i were Rian Johnson i would use it on Knives Out 3 and maybe write a character built upon Cavill's own nerdiness.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Because he's a very wooden actor with very limited screen presence?

The problem is you're starting from a position of "Cavill is very popular actor, so therefore it's weird that..." which simply isn't true.

Cavill is popular in specific, niche internet communities due to his nerd cred, but no one in the real world really knows or cares about him. He's not a "name".

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
He has very good PR.
Back when the Snyder DCU was alive, I think the press on him wasn't that great. Most online talk was geeks angry at how his movies ruined Superman.
Then he started pandering to the same audience that hated him, lots of people champion him as "one of us", and a buff handsome sex symbol having nerdy hobbies is cute even for people who don't know what Warhammer is.
His PR team is insane. They managed to convince thousands of people that he walked away from Witcher because they weren't staying close enough to the books and no one even questions it.

Whatever he's paying them isn't enough. Masterful spin.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His PR team is insane. They managed to convince thousands of people that he walked away from Witcher because they weren't staying close to the books enough and no one even questions it.

Whatever he's paying them isn't enough. Masterful spin.

I question it all the time, but clearly I'm in the minority lol

But yea, supremely amusing how that stuck as opposed to the whole 2nd chance at Superman thing not working out

Oct 28, 2017
he could have nailed superman with the right script. and I like his witcher portrayal. but he's really not a leading man in big blockbuster films

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe he's not good to work with and that's got around. I've heard this for a long time. I even heard that he's kind of a manosphere right wing guy. Who knows I think it's way more than just having a bad agent or making bad role choices. I genuinely don't think he's offered much.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I think he needs to be in more romance movies or something. I don't know. Movies that just rely on his looks and personality rather than his acting? He's still entertaining to watch…

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
He is rumored for an MCU role so that might be a good fit for him. Honestly I just think he was a bit unlucky by being cast in the DCU which didn't take off as expected.