• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I always see these instructions when cooking frozen pizza and I'm disgusted by the idea every time. That can't be sanitary right? Cooking the pizza right on the rack where metal trays and what not cooks on it. I always use a metal tray or aluminum foil to cook it on but there can't be that much of a difference could it? Anybody actually does this? And if so, does it make any difference at all?

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I do it often. I like to have a firmer, non-soggy crust. The oven gets to over 400 degrees, it's not like the rack is covered in bacteria.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I get those small personal size DiGiorno stuffed crust pizzas and put it on the rack. Never had an issue. Nothing falls down and burns to the bottom cause I make sure the loose cheese is all put on top near the middle.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I think in Germany it is almost always recommended to use parchment paper for frozen pizza.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a oven, it's probably the most germ free thing in your house. What super germs and stuff are living on that rack after being hit with 400F?

BBQs must really throw you for a loop.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
wait until you find out about the stone ovens they use to make pizzas at non chain places.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The disgusting thing is eating frozen pizza in the first place honestly. It never tastes good.

The recipe for pizza dough is one of the easiest things ever. Just add sauce and cheese.

OP
OP
Bman94

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
You are scarred of trays from the rack, so you use a metal tray or aluminum foil? Woot?

A tray is cleaned every single after its used. I don't, and I don't think anyone cleans the racks every single time they cook in the oven. Nor is it time efficient every time to clean the racks every day.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
wait so you don't want to put the pizza directly on the rack because that's also where you put metal trays (?) and your solution is to put the pizza on a metal tray (???)

Kado

Feb 11, 2021
Crispy crust yo. Also, clean yer oven.
I do it often. I like to have a firmer, non-soggy crust. The oven gets to over 400 degrees, it's not like the rack is covered in bacteria.

These two are correct. Crispy crust plus the heat kills all bacteria anyway. If your tray is covered in debris, just clean with a wire brush or use a baking sheet with a fitted rack.

Pizza stone, bitches.

This is the only acceptable alternative.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I always see these instructions when cooking frozen pizza and I'm disgusted by the idea every time. That can't be sanitary right? Cooking the pizza right on the rack where metal trays and what not cooks on it. I always use a metal tray or aluminum foil to cook it on but there can't be that much of a difference could it? Anybody actually does this? And if so, does it make any difference at all?
What do you mean unsanitary? Lol. The oven literally burns away germs & such.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I always see these instructions when cooking frozen pizza and I'm disgusted by the idea every time. That can't be sanitary right? Cooking the pizza right on the rack where metal trays and what not cooks on it.
What exactly do you think is unsanitary about a metal tray having touched a rack that gets heated to 400+ degrees?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
cf_rackedpizza.jpg

Not gonna chance it.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I've always just used the rack. Works fine

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever cooked pizza on the rack until we moved into our current apartment. This oven tends to smoke like crazy if something melts/falls off the pizza onto the bottom of the oven or a pan below it, and we have no venting so the smoke alarms will go off. It's a gas oven, so maybe that has something to do with it, but had never had an issue until this oven (even when something would fall off into the oven).

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I use a baking sheet because honestly there really isn't much of a difference and the softer the crust the better. Even on a baking sheet it's too crispy.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
A tray is cleaned every single after its used. I don't, and I don't think anyone cleans the racks every single time they cook in the oven. Nor is it time efficient every time to clean the racks every day.

No, you aren't cleaning it every time, nor would there be any need to do so. You clean it periodically as food/etc drips on it over time. What would be unsanitary about it? You're cooking at like 400 degrees. That's going to kill anything that would be an issue.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
when you bake it heats from bottom as well. if theres stuff blocking it if you play it on a pan then no good heat will crisp up the bottom.

just get one of those pizza ovens. those are fun to have.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I think in Germany it is almost always recommended to use parchment paper for frozen pizza.

The Netherlands: the frozen pizza usually comes with its own parchment paper.

The only parchment paper I'd ever heard of is for drawing. So I googled this, and wow. Paper that you can bake at 400 degrees and it's fine? Impressive.

I use tin foil. And also a pizza tray. I don't want crumbs of stuff falling into the bottom of the oven. There are always a few bits that end up on the tin foil/tray I use. If I put it on the rack, the bottom of my oven would be nothing but burnt cheese by now.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I have never NOT done this. And I've probably eaten over a thousand frozen pizzas in my life.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
My dude how the fuck would it be unsanitary? Your oven is regularly heated to probably 450 degrees and you preheat it before the pizza as well. What kind of germs that would actually you think are surviving in there at those temps?