• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Horizon: Zero Dawn came out earlier this year, but I feel as if it does not have as much love as it should. It is probably one of the few games that actually pushes the medium forward. The protagonist is someone that women can relate to without ever feeling like she is being sexualized, along with being quite the badass. The overall story, background, and lore is quite incredible with how original it is. It explores the theme of motherhood quite well which is a rare theme in games. The gameplay also while not revolutionary is fun and interesting. The enemy design and the variety is quite nice. The graphics are simply some of the best that have ever been in a game. However, it's quite odd that it simply is not brought up as much as I thought it would be. I think that's a real shame. The world is designed very well with allowing the player to breathe, you never really feel the need to seek things out, but you want to because you are always curious about what you are going to discover next.

The game may have a few shortcomings. A couple of late game enemy designs being simple stronger versions of others, than new designs. The way the lore is treated involves a lot of standing, listening to a voice memo or reading it in the menu, which is not as fun as it could be. The side quests seem just there in order to pad out content. Overall though it's weaknesses don't detract from the game at all; there's very little to complain about.

I think it is also quite impressive from a developers perspective. The developers were known for creating a game that was dubbed as a Halo-Killer, where the basic objective was to kill Nazi's in Space. They went from a generic shoot-bang to creating a unique experience. I don't think it gets enough love among the gaming community and I'm quite surprised at that.
dhhxTbg.gif

What say you Era? Do you feel as if this game has been forgotten?

Caronte

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep playing it. I think I didn't love a game this much since the first Mass Effect.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the Game of the Year for A LOT of people. For me, it's the Game of the Generation!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It was almost universally praised?

In fact, the Frozen Wilds probably cemented it as one of the best games of this year and a must have PS4 title even before that.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game. The main narrative was a stretch at times and the last boss was incredibly disappointing, but I loved it. Need to play the DLC.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It sold and reviewed very well, more than most games ever get deserved or not.

2017 is so good there ain't no time to stop the train.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
The game is great and got plenty of praise. It just released in a year it couldn't possibly win GOTY.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What? Horizon got more praise than the majority of games that came out this year. Don't really understand this thread.

Edit: and I wouldn't really say it pushes the medium forward in any way. I loved it, but let's be real it's basically farcry structurally, with a better story and combat.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I think it's very highly regarded. Being "considered" in GOTY discussions. Problem is, 2017 was such a stacked year for phenomenal games that it's not cleaning up at Award Shows. Doesn't mean it's not excellent, glad to hear you're loving it!

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It got a ton of praise initially, but a lot of that praise wore off as it became increasingly clear that the game isn't doing a lot that's particularly special. It looks nice but could play better, be better written, and have better quest design.

This happens to a ton of games; they're great at a first glance, but the critical discussion dies off pretty quick; usually means it wasn't as great as people initially felt.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hype around BOTW?

I don't get it.

Personally Horizon being so awesome only made the issues I had with BOTW stand out so much more.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You're almost seen like a madman if you don't think this game is the second coming of Christ around here.

Seriously though, it's a neat game, but I do feel like it has a lot of stuff to improve. I gave it a second chance and liked it a lot, except fighting human enemies, sometimes I get to pierce their skulls with the strong arrow (forgot the name, feel free to flame me for it) and sometimes I just take down a huge chunk of their health but enough to raise an alarm. It's weird and it fucks up with my perfectionist playstyle in every stealth game.

Either they're all down without combat or I just let them kill me and try again. It's more of my own problem than anything.

Oct 30, 2017
Even with all the praise the game got... it's still not enough.

Seriously this game is a very special masterpiece <3

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
It gets lots of praise, mention BotW and there will be someone well actuallying this within seconds.

It's good, has some issues with pacing and grinding weapons but worth playing.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people have been calling it one of their goty picks in 2017 so I don't see how it could have been praised more than it already is

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's nominated for Game of the Year absolutely everywhere, it received stellar reviews and it sold great! It's gotten tons of praise.

I think the reason it seems like it hasn't is because games like Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Cuphead and Super Mario Odyssey really managed to capture the zeitgeist. Any other year and it'd be at the top of everyone's list.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
It gets lots and lots of praise, and rightly so. I love it, personally. Obviously releases like BOTW and Mario Odyssey have taken the spotlight off it to some extent. If Horizon were up against 2014 releases (taking into account any inherent advantage for tech advancements), it would have swept the board.

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017
It gets praise for its story and graphics all the time.

My issue is with the exploration, facial animation, combat (not in general, I have a few specific problems), and lack of interesting characters outside of the main plot.

Edit: still really enjoyed it for it's story.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It gets tons of praise ? Its an achievement for studio and open world games when it comes to visuals and combat encounters. Also female protagonist is also nice. I do wanna ask, tho how this game pushes the medium forward?
My personal issues are the facial animations and cutscene direction with some iffy VA for side quests and moment to moment writing /character interaction and dialogue . It feels very flat and robotic, npcs and even Aloy herself spells things out , word by word without subtle hinting or just implying by change of VA and expressions . And that bugs me a lot.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just get to the obvious- It's tough to get attention in a year where a new Mario and Zelda came out. Even Persona 5 has mostly gone under the radar.

It's my GOTY but I bet it's not winning any awards for it this year. At least from places/people who matter. The Giant Bomb people for example seem really down on it.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
It's getting a ton of praises, and sold a shit ton of copies. Not sure where you're getting the idea that it's not getting enough praise.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
It got a ton of praise but then BOTW released a few days later and stole its thunder

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If it helps it's my GoTY. Fantastic game, with an awesome character and incredibly designed robomonster fights. It also looks stupidly good.

But to be fair I think it got a lot of praise, it will probably get a lot of GoTYs, maybe behind only from Zelda.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've literally never even heard of this game before. Is there a Switch version?

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
It's graphically amazing but underwhelming gameplay wise.

My opinion only of course, but I felt like the game assumed I was an idiot and dragged me by the nose from objective marker to objective marker rather than let me explore and figure things out.

RedFoxx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the best game that came out this year and it's weird that others act like the conversation is only about Nintendo titles. That said, it's a game of the year nominee in pretty much every conversation online. I'm not sure it can get much more praise than that.

Oct 27, 2017
It's nominated for GOTY at the Game Awards and will probably win at least a handful of GOTY awards from media outlets. It will probably get 2nd or 3rd in GOTY voting here on ERA. Not really sure what you're talking about.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's continuously brought up in the same breath as what's being lauded as Zelda's huge return to form and the GotY by far. It easily got the attention it deserved.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it got a lot of love and praise. And rightly so. It'll be my GotY this year. Great experience and just absolutely gobsmacking to look at.

Maniac

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wot you on about OP? It's been universally praised and really quite overrated at this point.

It's gotten all the praise it deserves, and then some.

So why doesn't it get less?

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Yeah, I appreciate you might have seen some "Horizon is the worst copy of BOTW, 1/10" threads but it's just Era hyperbole. Despite its shortcomings it was very well received.

I loved it and particularly enjoyed my time with Aloy. With her and the uncharted ladies it's been a great year for strong female leads.

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon got more than enough praise, titles like Prey deserve more praise.

Horizon is in a lot of goty picks and the reviews are positive and excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.