gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Because it isn't good. It starts off decent but the beginning bits are the only positive thing I remember from that game. My only other memories are running around similar looking metal corridors endlessly and fighting bad glitchy bosses with some of the encounter design seeming at odds with the overall combat design of the game.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Lords of the fallen wasn't a good game but i gave it a shot because i was willing to see other developers take on it and the surge has very little i like for my souls game. From brings the whole package, levels enemy design, bosses. I didn't see that with any other soulslike not made by from with the exception of Nioh.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boring environments.
Only 5 bosses and some of them are really shit fights, specially Big Sister.
Uninteresting setting.
Game's story ends when it's about to become interesting.

The Surge 2 though, it's already looking like a massive improvement.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled why this game isn't mentioned more on Era. Imagine a Sci-Fi Souls game with fast combat like Bloodborne, intricate connecting level design, slight horror aspects that feel like Dead space, and great graphics.
This is The Surge. This is from the same team that made Lords of the Fallen (which I haven't played) and follows the Soulsborne design very well. It released in 2017.
Combat is really fun—lots of different weapons to play around with and the gameplay feels very much like Bloodborne set in a Sci-Fi setting. Your character has an exoskeleton rig and most of the game you are fighting Mech type characters and robots. There is a dismemberment system where you can target limbs on enemies for attacks or to collect various armor or gear they are carrying. You collect tech scraps (which are essentially Souls) to level up your rig and level up your weapons/armor just like Dark Souls. The twist is when you die you have a set amount of time to retrieve your Souls—killing enemies increases the timer and it adds a good amount of tension to get your Souls back. There is a sequel coming out in September and I'm really baffled why this game isn't mentioned more since most of Era seems obsessed with FROM type games. I think this game nails the Souls formula overall better than Nioh as a Soulsborne clone and I'm all in for The Surge 2 next month. Curious if you guys agree/disagree and are looking forward to the sequel. I highly recommend this to Souls fans who want a different twist on the formula.
"and the gameplay feels very much like Bloodborne set in a Sci-Fi setting "

No it doesn't, that's a very dishonest thing to say. It's that reason people didn't give a shit about it. Combat is a thing Western devs never can nail down and it's not just a Surge problem, The Witcher 3 has it too. It's an inferior Souls clone in every aspect(combat, combat, environments, level design, enemy design, combat!) and just because it's the first to do Souls in a scifi setting is no reason to give it any special attention.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Played through it twice with the DLC and got the platinum. It does have its flaws but its extremely fun and I loved exploring and collecting armour sets by dismembering.

I agree with what Omnipotent wrote, and I'll add that I simply found it... dreadfully dull.

The environments were thoroughly uninteresting to explore, the enemies boring to fight, the character boring to customize, all which are things that matter to the the most in those games. I wasn't engrossed, I was bored and annoyed, and I eventually just stopped playing it. I finished Lords of the Fallen but The Surge bored me to tears, sadly. I think the setting being unappealing is a large part of that, but it's not just that either.
Yet you loved Nioh Morrigan with its four enemy types and copy paste environments? XD

I loved both, just teasing you :p The Nioh 2 demo was awesome with the new improvements.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
"and the gameplay feels very much like Bloodborne set in a Sci-Fi setting "

No it doesn't, that's a very dishonest thing to say. It's that reason people didn't give a shit about it. Combat is a thing Western devs never can nail down and it's not just a Surge problem, The Witcher 3 has it too. It's an inferior Souls clone in every aspect(combat, combat, environments, level design, enemy design, combat!) and just because it's the first to do Souls in a scifi setting is no reason to give it any special attention.
Remnant has great combat.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I played the Surge for a bit and it just doesn't grab you like a souls game does, I blame the setting , sci fi settings are boring to me and the game starts out a little bland. From should take some gameplay aspects from the surge though (choosing what limb to cut off for armor pieces was brilliant).

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I wondered that myself when I started playing it.

It's just boring, OP. I can't find a better explanation for it. It's like someone tried to copy Souls and took away the wrong lessons from it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lords of the fallen was dog shit and the surge's aesthetic does nothing for me

honestly none of the soulslikes come even close to what makes fromsofts games so great. they all focus on shallow mimickry.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i really don't know, for me is the best soulsborne clone of this gen and the sequel seems even better.

Jan 21, 2019
The aesthetics put me to sleep. Also, I don't really play Souls games for the combat but for everything else, the world, the atmosphere, the level design, the setting, the feeling of isolation and mysteries and I don't feel any of that when looking at the game. It is visually not intriguing to me. Also I don't wanna play the protagonist.

Edit: Lords of the Fallen left a really bad taste in my mouth. I feel like these games are made without fully grasping why souls works the way it works. It's like someone told me I should play call of duty since I liked spec ops the line.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Well I played Lords of the Fallen and felt it was a bit slow, sluggish and flavorless and therefore I skipped The Surge.

I might give it a try when I have Gamepass (again)

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017
For me, The Surge was an amazing experience. And I said that coming from the Soulsborne saga, bar DS2.

While I can agree with some of the complaints about environments or boss designs, in terms of actual mechanics the game is pretty tight precisely because Deck13 didn't try to clone Dark Souls at all. Yes, you have to be methodical to succeed, but the combat has its own traits and those traits work real nice. But yeah, if you play this game using your muscular memory of any of the Souls games, it will feel weird.

Having said that, I think this game is better than Nioh in various fronts but specially in level design. And combat in Nioh felt (for me) out of place for a game of this type. I just prefer the slow paced approach, and that doesn't mean that the combat itself has to be slow, as Sekiro has proven.

I'm really curious to see what they pull out with Surge 2. If the devs manage to address a few concerns (boss designs, mainly), it could easily become a sleeper hit.

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just overall didn't enjoy the feel of combat as much and the boss battles were boring. Ironically, for as much as I hated the rest of the game, Lords of the Fallen actually had some pretty intersting bosses, whereas I just found the fights in The Surge to be really unfun.

moonsofvenus_

Aug 16, 2019
Oh i absolutely I loved this game. It's one of the few soulslike i 100%'d

that being said, its not a great game, and a lot of what people have said in here is true. its dull and boring most of the time, the corridors are incredibly samey.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The art is not nearly as good and locations are not quite as good. I do not play Souls games for the combat or even challenge i love the art work and just seeing the world even if i do not ever dive into the lore.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Too janky and it lacks a lot when it comes to environments. Hopefully the sequel is an improvement in both those areas.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Always love another opportunity to praise The Surge.
I absolutely enjoyed the game, even long after getting the platinum trophy.
Sure it's "objectively" more flawed than some other games of its genre, but i even enjoyed it more than some of the main Souls games.
Combat was a lot of fun and felt very good to me. You could activate some hit stun in the options, so your hits felt heavier, with more impact. I don't agree with people who say that the controls and combat were bad. Especially loved the foward dash / jump attack. Always felt satisfying :) Same with the decapitation etc.

Yeah, the environments could have used some more variety, but i loved the general industrial setting.

I'm so ready for Surge 2!
Looks like they improved massively in many areas.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Recently played through the game after playing the demo through twice a year or more ago. Loved it.

Exploration was a whole lot of fun and being able to target pieces of armour for materials or blueprints was part of the fun for me; even if the armour didn't really do anything wildly special.

I stacked an energy build so you could attack a weak spot then mid combo target the limb you wanted then perform a finisher on that.

I'm sure 2 will be fantastic.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Ok OP, but was Rome built in a day ?

I actually enjoyed The Surge, despite the shortcoming (mentioned many times in this thread). I particularly like the twist they added to the formula. Funnily enough it feels closer to Soulsborne than Nioh lol.

Definitely have The Surge 2 on my radar.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I tried the demo and had zero desire to get the full game because the combat did not feel fun. Likewise the environments are bland as hell and the routes through the levels are not interesting at all. Nioh suffered from bland environments but the routes through the levels were good. Like Nioh, enemy variety seems to be a big issue in The Surge based on playthrough videos - very few interesting bosses, mostly humanoids in armor for enemies.

I need to watch some newer trailers of Surge 2 because the early ones made it look like more of the same.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Here's my post from the Soulsera thread:

I found it to be one of the more competent 3D Souls-likes. (For reference, I haven't been able to stomach much of LotF.)
In short, I'd say it's definitely worth a look if you're missing Souls and are partial to sci-fi.

Pros:
+ Great atmosphere and sense of space/scale (Deck13 nailed the industrial/rocket facility aesthetic)
+ Building trepidation as you progress further from a med bay (bonfire) and subsequent relief when you find one
+ Limb targeting and combat in general are satisfying (despite "skatey" movement and some poor enemy tells)

Cons:
- Really vulgar and unsubtle in its presentation (none of the elegance or sobriety of Souls)
- Lore told through equipment and the world is largely uninteresting (too formulaic; lack of mystery)
- NPC encounters feel uninspired and a lot of the dialogue is either boring or lacks convincing performance (again, this may only be an issue if you prefer the "finesse" of Souls)
- Despite the strong setting, there is a lack of distinct environments (although you do get a bit of variety later on)
- Vast majority of armour/enemy designs are not very good

As you can see, I'm pretty harsh on it, but still enjoyed my time with it. Looking forward to the sequel, hoping it will improve on some of the above...

Basically, I was able to look past its ugly presentation and ultimately uninteresting worldview, and enjoy the core game on an elementary level.
It kept me just engaged enough to see it through to the end. I haven't felt the urge to replay it yet, but as a fan of Souls and sci-fi I'm holding out hope for the sequel.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
the combat with staff or double rig was as fast if not even faster than anything in dark souls or bloodborne, people who talk about clunky combat are probably stopped to play after a couple of hours and only used single rig or heavy rig.

also the limb target for armour looting is one of the best single mechanic from a souls clone by far.

and i just love the progression system with chips and using the energy bar for finishers, health, buff etc.

and last but not least the game doesn't suffer from bullshit compenetration, enemies can't hit you if you have an obstacle in front of you, from software should learn that...

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but there isn't enough "fashion souls" attachment like the dark souls games.
the combat with staff or double rig was as fast if not even faster than anything in dark souls or bloodborne, people who talk about clunky combat are probably stopped to play after a couple of hours and only used single rig or heavy rig.

also the limb target for armour looting is one of the best single mechanic from a souls clone by far.

and i just love the progression system with chips and using the energy bar for finishers, health, buff etc.

and last but not least the game doesn't suffer from bullshit compenetration, enemies can't hit you if you have an obstacle in front of you, from software should learn that...

Yeah, I settled on the claws and it's significantly faster and smoother than anything in the Souls games. Like I said astetics are the problem with this game, bot mechanics. It also has one of the best DLC areas of any game in the genre.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first one. The level design remided me a ton of Dark Souls 1, very limited fast travel options but you still get to where want to go pretty quickly if you find the short cuts and have a good sense of orientation. Everything is connected nicely.
The combat is actually much more like Bloodborne i think, which i liked a lot and it's also 60 fps on Pro and One X plus HDR which made the whole experience even better.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It goes overboard with its level design.

I love intricate and labyrinthine locations in my Souls games but when every tunnel and every lift looks the exact same, it starts being really tedious.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It goes overboard with its level design.

I love intricate and labyrinthine locations in my Souls games but when every tunnel and every lift looks the exact same, it starts being really tedious.
yep, the level design is dark souls 1 tier (fight me) but the art design is too samey to let the level design shine...

the sequel is a lot more diversified in the enviroenment from trailers and gameplay but with the same intricate level design.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
yep, the level design is dark souls 1 tier (fight me) but the art design is too samey to let the level design shine...

the sequel is a lot more diversified in the enviroenment from trailers and gameplay but with the same intricate level design.
No joke, the second level is one of my favorite zones from any Souls-like game from a level design and art design perspective.
It's a shame the game never manages to reach the same heights afterwards. I'm interested to see how the sequel shakes things up.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I played Lords of the Fallen...that's probably why,lol.
Honestly,I don't play these types of harder games very often,I like to play one just now and again to vary things up for me.As a result From games are really the only ones I need,I would rather play the real thing than an imitator.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I didn't like LotF and since it's the same dev I've been a bit wary. Have no real excuse not to try it though since it was on ps+ a while ago, just haven't gotten around to it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It had an interesting premise with some unique mechanics in it but the overall combat loop, the enemy variety, the world etc, was super boring. Hopefully S2 does a better job, since the core is interesting, just needs more polish.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's bad, the lore suck, the combat is missing something, and i hate the visual esthetic/color.

Hollow Knight and Salt and Sanctuary on the other hand are both great souls games (salt and sanctuary only missing a map or something)

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because The Surge and Lords of the Fallen are both shit.

This is one thing about Miyazaki games that Souls-like clones do not get: Miyazaki games are holistic experiences. They are not defined by just one element, they are games that when all the elements are combined become greater than the sum of their parts.

This is why picking an element from a Miyazaki game and building an entire game around that doesn't work. Because a Miyazaki game is much more than just a single part.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like Surge, but the 3Cs are incredibly clunky(by all 3rd Person game standards, not just SoulsBorne), leading to everything from traversal to combat feeling unpleasant throughout. While I was interested in the setting - it was a real struggle to even keep playing for the first 1-2hours before giving up on it.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get how it could be seen as an outright bad game, honestly. Mediocre, sure. But aside from certain bosses nothing really struck me as offensively-terrible. Limb-targeting was an interesting spin on the formula, and making upgrades modular so you can easily switch between different builds with the only limiting factor being your level was refreshing. The elements were there for a great game, they just didn't stick the landing.

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I got it with the gamepass and finished it. While I loved certain aspect of the combat, I really didn't like the locations we were visiting and the game was a bit short.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the surge a lot, but it's enemy selection and boss fights were too lacking to make it really standout. I think they built a solid foundation and the Surge 2 is my most hyped game release this year, but if I had paid full price for the surge instead of getting for free on ps+ I would have been disappointed. I think if they nail the sequel they could have something special though.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The game is very good and very polished but I really can't stomach mecha designs in large doses.

I quit the game because of its aesthetics.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I loved the Surge. The industrial scrap aesthetic was amazing. The writing was surprisingly good. The level design was great. The combat system was really cool.

The problem is, each of those things comes with a caveat.

The aesthetic seems to be an acquired taste.
The story takes forever to really start going anywhere.
The level design may be laid out really well, but it has a lot of visual repetition (and puts its most interesting visuals in the later areas).
The combat system has a lot going on, but the game doesn't push you hard enough to learn it until you're on like, the 6th out of 7 areas.

For me, the appeal of Souls and its ilk is the level design. I love dungeon crawlers, and the Souls games scratch the itch to map out an uncharted location better than most conventional dungeon crawlers. So the Surge's construction of levels, where they're absolutely packed with shortcuts that loop back around to the central med-bay, was enough to keep me going until the game really came together. That doesn't seem to have been enough for most players.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I always feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading impressions of The Surge here.

I had no idea how it was generally received when I played it not that long ago and thought it was a great, and interesting, take on the Souls formula. The combat especially is great, tight and fucking brutal. I thought the ambient soundtrack, horrific sfx design and environments created a really inhuman dystopian atmosphere, it felt pretty 'heavy'. The lore and story were basically boring nonsense but I thought the environmental storytelling was really strong and made up for it.

The one big complaint I will lodge against it is that the last level definitely took it too far. They went way overboard and I just dropped the game there, too frustrating too navigate.

Not that I'm directly comparing the two, but while Sekiro is an obviously superior game by a long shot objectively, I actually had way more fun playing The Surge.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I only played the trial, and I found it OK to be honest. Like, I'd happily pick up the complete edition on sale at some point.

My only real complaint was the fact that there was little feedback for your character getting attacked, so unless I was constantly focusing on my HP bar, I was dying because I didn't realise I was actually being hit.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People need to start understand that monster and level design is very crucial as a part of Souls games . Games like Nioh and Surge 1 have neither , so they aren't that well received as Souls clone although Nioh's combat is fantastic .