• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Kinda Funny's Blessing and Spawn On Me's Kahlief Adams discuss the reader question on Nintendo's lack of visible support to BLM and whether they are disappointed

What the hell are Nintendo doing? They should have at least voiced their support on twitter through their official channels even if they are not doing anything else. Other platform holders are doing it. It is disappointing.

They should use their platform to at least highlight the issue if nothing else no?

Any one else find it weird or disappointing?

EDIT : Nintendo of America responds. Right thing to do.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo must be one of the most "let's not talk about politics" publishers in the world, so isn't really surprising that they are pretending that nothing is happening

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, I'm highly disappointed in them, to be completely honest. It costs nothing to just post a small message saying how they support the black community. It obviously means shit, but at least it's a "nice" gesture. Doing nothing just feels like they legitimately don't even care enough as to do that.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
To me it's really disappointing. Somethig like Nintendo has a big reach and influence on people's lives. This should be used to do something good here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony decided showing support could make them money, Nintendo decided showing support would lose them money.

Companies do not have personalities and they are not your friend.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah its disappointing. As to why they would say nothing seems easy to me - as a famous person once said, republicans buy switches too.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm highly disappointed in them, to be completely honest. It costs nothing to just post a small message saying how they support the black community. It obviously means shit, but at least it's a "nice" gesture. Doing nothing just feels like they legitimately don't even care enough as to do that.
My thoughts exactly.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Not at all, I don't think everyone has to physically/verbally show support. Staying silent is fine, but to each their own I suppose.

I do appreciate it though that do come out and support (like Sony/ms did)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They don't comment on any political issue or social commentary. This is a shit stance and the least a multi billion dollar corporation who rakes it in in North America could do is say Black Lives Matter.

But dont expect anything.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
not surprised but I also don't think a hollow tweet or gesture will mean anything either. Corporations are not going to save us.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
I don't think Nintendo has overtly supported or condemned anything remotely political, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo must be one of the most "let's not talk about politics" publishers in the world, so isn't really surprising that they are pretending that nothing is happening
I feel like people are using this as a way to justify Nintendo silence about any issue. This's not an excuse. Silence right now is almost as bad as being complicit.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This post basically nails it.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Nintendo doesn't want politics to influence stuff (stubborn Japanese company).

The American Pokémon account did a subtle post though. The only Sony accounts posting about it have been American as well as fas as I know.

Deleted member 69771

Nintendo is out of touch.
I don't think Nintendo has overtly supported or condemned anything remotely political, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

KmExDxREJBlChzwP7g3d9j7GY1HVQHisYjZ2Tq-o-AU.jpg

save.png

? They definitely care, in general, and their employees are posting a lot on Twitter about everything that's going on right now. Kinda disappointing and weird they haven't officially.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are using this as a way to justify Nintendo silence about any issue. This's not an excuse. Silence right now is almost as bad as being complicit.

Eh, I'm not justifying them, just pointing out why they are not talking about it

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Has Nintendo ever really done anything outside their video game "bubble"?

they have sometimes, but mostly not. Not sure why people think Nintendo need to come out and say something. Everyone does their own thing. Nintendo didn't brag about AC sales yet SE did with FFVII during the beginning of the pandemic. Again to each their own. No one is obligated to say/do anything.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
It's their policy. They are a very conservative company.

It is disappointing, but I also think it should not be a surprise to anyone. I don't know but I'd wager a guess that there is a lot of angst about the silence among the NoA employees.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because they don't want to lose their white customers. Some people feel really strongly about something that when a company takes a stance people boycott

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nintendo is more Disney than Disney when it comes to stuff like this. Not really surprised they don't say anything if I am completly honest.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
I don't know if Nintendo ever take a stance themselves about society subject, but they at least let their employees with an high position express themselves freely (bill trinnen shared something)
That's pretty weak but the least worst kind of doing nothing

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sony decided showing support could make them money, Nintendo decided showing support would lose them money.

Companies do not have personalities and they are not your friend.

Like, you aren't wrong. However, Sony's assessment is that morality should be embraced. Are they still thinking of their bottom line? Sure. But they are still supporting justice. Nintendo isn't. That is worthy of note (and some level of criticism).

Why do you need a giant corporation to join in on this conversation? Serious question.

People don't "need" the support of giant corporations. However, solidarity is nice.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
they have sometimes, but mostly not. Not sure why people think Nintendo need to come out and say something. Everyone does their own thing. Nintendo didn't brag about AC sales yet SE did with FFVII during the beginning of the pandemic. Again to each their own. No one is obligated to say/do anything.

You're going down a bad path dude. You should stop.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm sure lower level employees care. Corporate management have consistently refused to engage in a subject unless dragged by the hair and screaming. They are as conservative as it gets.

The latest Animal Crossing is the first proper game in the series where you can pick your skin color. All previous games, you had to excessively tan yourself to be brown or black. Think of just how fucked up that is.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo of America doesn't have the autonomy to put out a statement like this without the approval of Japan. And Japan is run by a bunch of old men.

Status
Not open for further replies.