• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
It was $2.13/hour when the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour but minimum wage has increased since then. Why is it still stuck at $2.13/hour?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
eN8SRt1.gif

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Why are we still tipping is the real question. It's not for good service because even if it's the worst experience of my life i'm still giving 20% because i know they need it to survive.

OP
OP

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually baffled because I made $2.13/hour as a busser/waiter in the 1990s and the federal tipped minimum wage in 2024 is still the same $2.13/hour.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Tipped workers are guaranteed the federal minimum wage, so aside from politicians generally not caring and lobbyists that's probably the justification.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some tipped servers don't want it away because they make more with tips than a consistent wage, so there is little desire within the house to want change.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1) Politicians aren't incentivized to better the pay of tipped workers. What do they get out of it? And there are likely plenty who have their hands in restaurants/food service who don't see raising their pay as a benefit.

2) Lobbied by plenty of businessmen to not increase their pay.

3) A devaluation of tipped workers in the workforce.

4) Likely an incorrect belief that many of these people are making tons of money on top of tips, both by disconnected politicians who have no sense of the normal struggles of their constituents and regular people are just ignorant to the realities of food service work.

There are other reasons but I just wanted to list these.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Because most waiters make bank.

I knew a waiter/bartender at a chain who was making like $40 an hour.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Because most waiters make bank.

I knew a waiter/bartender at a chain who was making like $40 an hour.

Most is probably the stretchiest of all stretches here and knowing one or a few highly successful people in a field doesn't mean that's the norm at all.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
It was $2.13/hour when the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour but minimum wage has increased since then. Why is it still stuck at $2.13/hour?

Republicans are the reason

Republicans like every other thing.

That is correct. This isn't some mystery. lol.

If something is wrong with America, 9/10 times, it's the GOP that is responsible.

Rollback of abortion and reproductive health protections for women by our supreme court? 100% a GOP product.
This delay of Ukraine aid for no fucking good reason, at the expense of thousands of Ukrainian lives? GOP, 100%.
Automatic rifles being legal? GOP.
War on drugs? GOP.
ICE deportation squads and barbed wire at the border and separating children from their parents? GOP.
FUD about trans people being "dangerous" because bathrooms and sports? GOP
No separation of church and state? GOP
Denial of presidential election results? GOP
Racism? GOP