• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Link

more tidbits in the link

At GDC 2024, Isaac Olander, CEO and art director at Swedish-based studio Tallgran, gave a panel on the current state of representation for Black characters, with a particular focus on why Black hair continues to be a tricky thing to nail for games. Having produced 3D models for titles like League of Legends and Insomniac Games' Spider-Man series, Olander's work emphasizes authenticity and showcasing style and personality—with the assertion that having both is indeed possible.

One of the key areas that Olander highlighted in his talk was the necessity of authenticity when it comes to hair for Black characters in games. For Olander, who grew up in Gambia, West Africa, one of the most significant games to get Black hair right during his youth was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
"At the time, we didn't really feel represented in Western media—or in Swedish media for that matter [in my case]," said Olander. "This all changed for me when I played GTA San Andreas, it was the first time I played as a Black protagonist, which was amazing. CJ is very cool, and he also had three different hairstyles [that stuck out for me]—a buzzcut, an afro and cornrows."

According to Olander, getting accurate Black hair in games is still so difficult due to technological constraints and a lack of developers or consultants on the team who have a connection to that community.

IMG_8632.jpg

Why game devs love "The Killmonger"

In recent years, there has been a clear push for Black characters in games to feature more realistic and culturally appropriate hairstyles and personalities. Generally speaking, there has been a thoughtful approach to having more authentic Black hairstyles—Insomniac Games' Spider-Man and its focus on Miles Morales and the Harlem community being solid standouts. Unfortunately, many developers have recently honed in on one hairstyle for Black characters, and it's become something of a worrying sign for audiences—and that's the "Killmonger" haircut.

The issue with the look is that many developers have leaned heavily into it and have turned it into the hairstyle for Black characters, and it's been overused in recent years.

This focus on one hairstyle shows a very narrow insight into Black hairstyles, which ultimately contradicts the end goal bringing in a more authentic view of the Black experience and culture. According to Olander, one of the reasons why developers have leaned into this style is largely due to technology.

"It's really interesting to think about: why do so many games have this hairstyle? Why don't we see other types of hairstyles? There's a smorgasbord—as we say in Sweden—of hairstyles to pick from," said Olander about the Killmonger. "But, you know, from a developer point of view, I see it as a quite simple hairstyle to approach from a technical standpoint."

"It's already been working in games, and it's been accepted as something authentic, and for many game companies, this means that it's an efficient hairstyle that's been proven to work," he said. "But what we do see is that many games use this hairstyle, but they might not know how to make other various hairstyles to go along with that option. Furthermore, there's a lack of access to diverse dev teams who can help guide the proper implementation into those games."

During the panel, Olander shared an instance where he struggled to find tutorials for Black hair during his early days of 3D modeling, which he states is an issue many developers have to deal with when building uncommon hairstyles for games. He explained he had to go to internet forums to find a tutorial video on how to 3D model a certain Black hairstyle, and the only one he could find was in the Mandarin language

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, ain't nothing wrong with a good fade. Miles in SM:MM was the best he's ever looked.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"According to Olander, getting accurate Black hair in games is still so difficult due to technological constraints and a lack of developers or consultants on the team who have a connection to that community."

It seems like it's, uh, much more the latter than the former, to be honest.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
3d modellers can make all short of varied things but black hair is out the norm and hard to do (technological constraints)? Cmon.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean, yeah.

And he says the same thing that I said. I'm just adding that people literally put resources out there for free and developers still aren't using them. There are Skyrim mods with better black hair options than most AAA games.
publishers: "i see... hmm, maybe we should invest in expanding the diversity of the artists we hire to better reflect the characters represented in our products, specifically focusing on accuracy and representation..."

AI will soon help make hair and beards realistic.
publishers: "...OOOOORRRRR, AI!!!"

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
"According to Olander, getting accurate Black hair in games is still so difficult due to technological constraints and a lack of developers or consultants on the team who have a connection to that community."

It seems like it's, uh, much more the latter than the former, to be honest.
It's not like white curly hair was any better or more prevalent until the last few years as rendering has improved. Curls are complex

The only curly hair option in general used to be spaghetti clumps

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say that it's not difficult necessarily, but a lot of developers just outright don't even try. Character creates often have dozens of hairstyles, but only about three black ones and they're almost always an afro, cornrows, and some kind of fade.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Are they really not even getting some consultant or artist that is black/latino that knows and can work with it? Like wy?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I think the technological constraint issue only make sense by virtue of companies not putting the efforts to find solutions in the first place which is also a direct result of a lack of a diverse workplace where (white) people wouldn't feel compelled to put a bigger focus on creating an efficient pipeline.

Essentially I'd argue there are technological constraints because it wasn't a focus due to systemic racism rather than saying that because of technological constraints it'd be impossible to have varied and accurate black hairstyles. Seems like semantics but I think it's a rather important distinction, when there is a will, there is a way.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
During the panel, Olander shared an instance where he struggled to find tutorials for Black hair during his early days of 3D modeling, which he states is an issue many developers have to deal with when building uncommon hairstyles for games. He explained he had to go to internet forums to find a tutorial video on how to 3D model a certain Black hairstyle, and the only one he could find was in the Mandarin language

If this is what he's referring to when he says "technological constraints" then he's using the wrong word. Because gamers will see that and think he's referring to graphical engine limitations, when what he's actually talking about are a lack of reference materials i.e. open-source libraries, training videos, etc. And him being a contributor to that afro hair library is clearly him trying to do his part in providing this material for future developers.

But also yeah people need to fucking use it and instead you have non-black devs trying to problem-solve this themselves and going "Hey that Killmonger thing works, just do that". And it's that kind of thinking that emphasizes why black voices need to be there, you need people to push through that kind of path-of-least-resistance thought process and get them to actually do this shit right.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
As a mature black man who is currently follicly challenged, I want my game avatars to have what I don't. But, not only are the styles limited, in most cases the color options are just off. If they can make my man Ichiban's hair look so good, why is it so difficult to give me better options for black characters.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
One argument I've seen is that the Killmonger cut is basically Teen Gohan's hair for Black folks, which I guess fits with the anime influence of MCU Killmonger himself. It'd explain why so many devs are referencing it, especially Japanese devs.

Thank god Dee Jay's default was spared, though his Outfit 3 took the bullet.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
NBA2K has the best take on male afro hair with deep customizations of multiple hairstyles

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
One argument I've seen is that the Killmonger cut is basically Teen Gohan's hair for Black folks, which I guess fits with the anime influence of MCU Killmonger himself. It'd explain why so many devs are referencing it, especially Japanese devs.

Thank god Dee Jay's default was spared, though his Outfit 3 took the bullet.

It's absolutely a hairstyle that appeals to the sensibilities of anime lovers, but there are so many black hairstyles that are asymmetrical and can fit an anime aesthetic.

Marvel Rivals just gave Storm the Method Man braids too. Game devs love these two hairstyles for the exact same reason.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
To me it comes down to there aren't enough Black folks in game dev and the non-black devs simply don't care enough to include outside Black voices unless they have to. Like goddamn, just pay for 2K's hair styles if you're going to be that awful with it. At least they kinda give a damn.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
NBA2K has the best take on male afro hair with deep customizations of multiple hairstyles

To me it comes down to there aren't enough Black folks in game dev and the non-black devs simply don't care enough to include outside Black voices unless they have to. Like goddamn, just pay for 2K's hair styles if you're going to be that awful with it. At least they kinda give a damn.
Its a damn shame it takes game for a sport that is mostly dominated by black people....the gamers that play it are mostly black people...for us to get some real damn hairstyles.

2024 and its still mostly the only one that gets it right, but for "obvious" reasons

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
not anymore. it's played the fuck out. reductiveness and a lack of imagination ruined a perfectly fine hairstyle.
Everytime I see someone complain about it I don't get it cuz it looks cool. Looked cool on Killmonger, looks cool on Eddie, etc etc.

It's like when protagonists in anime do the 'Spiky hair with big Over the top sword', it was cool and unique when Cloud did it, not so much when every generic anime and JRPG under the sun tried to copy it. Except even worse here because we hardly see black characters as it is, so when a black character comes out (or is brought back, in Eddie's case), it's SUPER clear how little thought actually went into it.

It's just one of those things where you can very clearly see the thread behind the scenes on why this character has this hairstyle.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I see someone complain about it I don't get it cuz it looks cool. Looked cool on Killmonger, looks cool on Eddie, etc etc.
It is super cool. But there are way more super cool black hair styles than just this, and many that will fit a characters personality better than this. I don't know if anyone wants a full ban on this style, just more thought and consideration for which style would be right.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
exactly. technological constraints is some bullshit. black devs and consultants not being hired is def the problem tho.
Ugh. I wrote a reply in a thread only last week on reddit's Elder Scrolls page saying I really hope Bethesda are making an effort to hire more black devs for TES6, given both their admission in 2020 after the BLM movement that they needed to do more for representation on their dev teams, and given that TES6 is highly likely set in Hammerfell so focusing on a black fantasy culture.

It did NOT go well.

Got a lot of the usual "that's racist against white people, I just want them to hire based on talent and not for forced representation token values." Which infuriates me because it's one of those statements that can sound reasonable at face value, and so tricks a lot of people into thinking it is a reasonable opinion to hold, until you really think about what that says. Essentially, if we are hiring based on talent alone already, and we know PoC representation isn't where it should be given population demographics (so that's just a fact), then this argument suggests it's a choice between hiring, say, a black person, or hiring a talented white person.

EDIT: Also, obligatory:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY8Xn8vSTI

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I get people want more diverse hairstyles...

but the killmonger cut is fucking cool
It's cool, but at the same time there are countless other options.

It's ridiculous when the most basic black haircut is nearly non existent in games. A good fade. Spider-Man MM had it done perfectly.

Plus I'm going to push back about the whole technology not being there thing, there's just less effort being put towards it. There's no way you can tell me that with all of the countless beards out there that people love to gush over, they couldn't just look up some different hairstyles.

so far NBA 2K and Fortnite are far and away the best at black hair, and I don't know how I feel about that.