wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm trying to buy a new mattress and I feel like I'm being overwhelmed with a shit ton of options, and according to the internet, all of them bad and a scam. So, ERA, what mattress company did you buy from? Did you buy one online from Casper/Nectar/Purple/etc. or did you go in store and get something from Tempurpedic/Serta/Sleep Number/etc. ? There's gotta be an easier way to do this lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

youtu.be

Purple Boys - Ideal Sleep Solutions and Zonk Strategies (Episode 1 of 6)

The Purple Boys, Geno (Eric Wareheim) and Quirky (Tim Heidecker), take you through their ideal sleep solutions and zonk strategies that will help you beat th...

giphy.gif

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
We have a Purple 2 (I think its called Purple Hybrid now) and I love it. We did not order online, went to a local retailer (Denver Mattress Co) and checked it out. They were running the same promo pricing as Purple's website, so we just bought it there.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I always get kicked out of those store when shopping for one. They ask me if I want to try it out and I sleep naked so when I start to strip they ask me to leave.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
It's the worst. I went mattress shopping a few months ago and ended up biting the bullet on an inexpensive but not too cheap foam dealie from Amazon. I'm satisfied with it but I still can't help but worry it's going to disintegrate in a year's time.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who sold mattresses not too long ago I like beautyrest black beds. I sleep on a tempur but I will switch eventually.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot imagine buying a mattress without first laying on it to make sure it worked for me

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I went to a local mattress store in Texas/Houston (Texas Mattress Makers) instead of ordering something online because:

1. Wanted to try it in person
2. They were giving back to the community after Hurricane Harvey and I wanted to support them.

No regrets. Pretty comfy mattress at a good price. I had an ordered memory foam mattress many years ago and it was not great, so it kinda put me off from the Tuft & Needles and Caspers of that market.

I would recommend just going in person and seeing what comfort level you like. Firm vs soft, memory foam vs spring etc.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
i made the mistake of buying a firm mattress since everyone recommends them to stomach-sleepers, which I am. However, I didn't take into account how I usually end up flipping over on my back by the time I wake up, and I sometimes wake up with a sore back. Just gonna deal with it for a few years till I need a new one I guess.

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's a pain. A big part of it is the hassle of returning it if needed.

In our house we have 3 mattresses, all are very good.

Sleep number ile - my mattress, 7 years now. The adjustable setting is really useful to find what your comfort level is, and helps in the future with picking a non sleep number type because you know firm vs soft preference. Also has a built in memory foam top layer. I'm thinking we will probably stick with sleep number when we replace it. No manufacturing problems, materials holding up well.

The Dreamcloud mattress - on the firmer side although i think we ordered the 'medium' type. Used in our spare guest room. I will say it is several years old probably 3+, I was going to buy another one last year but read reviews that the company had negatively changed the product... leading us to buy a

Saatva latex hybrid - nice medium firmness, used by older child. Everyone really likes the mattress as well. Also no problems about 1 year in.

No complaints about any of these. I would rebuy any again (except for the question of dreamcloud changes).

Edit - I will say the sleep number was also really useful in that it did take about 2-3 months for both of us to find our preferred firmness levels. I was way off on my snap in store judgment so fwiw

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot imagine buying a mattress without first laying on it to make sure it worked for me

This. Also internet product research always leads to indecision especially for bigger purchases.

I just went to one of Macy's furniture outlets and laid on a few, settled on a beauty rest with pillow topper after about 10-15 minutes of trying other models in the store. Had it delivered to my home a few days later. Best bed I've had.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mattress companies have invested a lot of money in making the process as painful as possible. Different stores have different branding and advertising for the same mattresses making it hard to compare. Reviews are basically all sponsored.

The process was so frustrating it almost killed online shopping and researching for me. I feel like I can't trust anything I read about a product anymore.

I ended up getting a entry-mid Denver mattress that's okay. Not amazing. I also learned I hated the foam mattresses.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I've also been looking for a new mattress. I'm not sure about all these mattress in boxes. I'm a side sleeper and from what I understand, I should be getting a plush mattress.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Tell me about it.

I REALLY need a new bed because my current one sucks, but I always get lazy looking for it, then I think about installing it and give up.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Casper, it's great. I think a lot of them are actually great and it was extremely overwhelming how many options there were.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just ordered my new Purple mattress this afternoon! We have a Purple 3 Queen and love it, but we are moving soon have a baby coming any day now frankly so we wanted to upgrade to the King.

3 years deep and the Queen still feels brand new, best mattress we've both ever used, worth the price.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
It's overwhelming by design. I gave up and went with Tuft and Needle (before they got bought out), no regrets; better than the ones I bought from stores in the past.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a Signature Sleep online. It came rolled in a box and expanded when I opened the box. Super easy purchase and delivery.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, laying on it for a bit in the store isn't enough time to really get a feel for how it will be for long sessions, not to mention how it will feel once you actually break it in.
Isn't that why most of these mattress companies offer like a 90 day return policy?

If I recall for Casper and for similar companies, they just make you donate the mattress if you don't like it and they refund you in full.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
It's overwhelming at first but there's a few unbiased resources you can rely on out there.

Mattress Ratings You Can Actually Trust : Top Rated Mattresses 2019 : Unbiased Reviews : Sleep Like The Dead

Mattress ratings you can actually trust. Sleep Like The Dead provides detailed, unbiased reviews and ratings on hundreds of mattresses based on over 26200 actual consumer experiences. Comprehensive comparisons are also provided.

Also you can try most brands in store, just be prepared to say no to salesman etc.

Ended up with a King Sealy Kelburn II. We love it.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mattress/

Check this out. Wirecutter has never steered me wrong. I want that Winkbeds Innerspring mattress. Currently on a foam mattress and hate it.

https://www.winkbeds.com/pages/shop-winkbed
I have the Leesa hybrid off the list and can vouch for it.

I've had a Leesa and a Tuft and Needle in the guest room and honestly both have been good experiences. Before that I had a subpar one I got from a mattress store for 3x the price. I think most of the major online ones are fine these days.

But obviously what kind of mattress depends on taste/temperature/climate/humidity etc

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hate, hate, hate buying mattresses, but I will swear by the Purple Hybrid. It's memory foam sandwiching springs, so you get all the good of foam with none of the sinking quicksand feeling. Legit feels like what I imagine a cloud feels like. The hexagon grid thing also feels so nice to lay on. I'd need a good, good reason to switch brands.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I tried a few from local places and then Purple.

I love my Purple. It's very good and I have genuinely never slept this well.

OP
OP
wisdom0wl

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's overwhelming at first but there's a few unbiased resources you can rely on out there.

Mattress Ratings You Can Actually Trust : Top Rated Mattresses 2019 : Unbiased Reviews : Sleep Like The Dead

Mattress ratings you can actually trust. Sleep Like The Dead provides detailed, unbiased reviews and ratings on hundreds of mattresses based on over 26200 actual consumer experiences. Comprehensive comparisons are also provided.
oh my god this is it, whew thanks

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Purple .4 a few years back; I ordered it from Macy's instead of direct from Purple because it was cheaper, and I really like it. I'm Getting Older and waking up stiff is a thing for me now, and that mattress fights a lot of it. It's also holding up pretty well so far.

That said I've never enjoyed inperson furniture shopping, so I hope Purple sticks around and keeps churning out stuff at this quality level so I can just replace with those go-forward.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I sleep really hot. Does the Purple allow you to sleep cool? It seems like its a hybrid so the same as Tuft & Needle? Also, anyone try latex mattresses?
'

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Back in April I started looking around online for a mattress-in-a-bag for my partner and I, and before succumbing to analyze paralysis, just said F it and went with a King Size Helix, Midnight Luxe model(on a 16" platform) and coming from a standard spring Queen size, it was heaven. I'm 6'6" and the joys of stretching my limbs cannot be overstated.

Anyway, I only got to enjoy it up until early June and I'm in PR now on less than stellar bedding accommodations. My back and I can't wait to return home to it 😩

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Anything that is in the multi-thousands is going to be a ripoff for sure.

I've had my Tuft & Needle for 7 years and it has been amazing. Those old spring mattresses are garbage and I'll never go back.

I have more problems finding pillows that stay cool.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
just go to a store and lay on some beds, without yelling who's got that good d, and choose the one you like in your budget.

we have a Tempur-Pedic in the master and a Casper or tuft can't remember which and anyone who says their the same has never slept on both. the internet brand is much harder.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Also you can try most brands in store, just be prepared to say no to salesman etc.

Ended up with a King Sealy Kelburn II. We love it.
i love a good sex filter

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it used to be worse.

It really depends on how you sleep, I'm on my stomach most of the night so bed has to be really firm. I prefer foam/latex mattresses as result.