MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
USPS does this same thing. Rather than potentially getting in trouble/having to refund for missing a scheduled delivery date, they will mark it as "Attempted delivery, no access to residence."

As if you live in a castle with a drawbridge that is up or something.

It's fraud, and it should be illegal.

Riou

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, FedEx is garbage. They lied about having attempted a delivery years ago and I ended up having to pick up the package myself. Since then I've done everything in my power to avoid using FedEx.

Oct 29, 2017
I am waiting for my Huntsman Mini.

Fedex said it arrives yesterday. Yesterday it was in Hong Kong. I am in Hungary.

How hard is it to do this? Smaller delivery companies are so, so much better. And let's not talk about the fact that every single time they some of my Fedex shit goes out for delivery they return it to the distribution centre. Every single time. How slow do you have to be to actually pack my stuff and then be unable to find the time to deliver it in a whole day.

I just gave up and when I see the tracking number I just wait and it shows up sometime.

OP
OP
Cats

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for letting me vent and adding the replies/stories. I honestly am not very impatient with the package, when it comes is whenever, it's the lying that irritated me. I'd have been completely sympathetic if it even said "too busy, delivery attempt for next day"
its not a fedex smart post delivery is it? the delivery attempt may have been to your local post office who may have been closed already. this happened to me several times and i thought fedex was dicking me around and then found out they were trying to deliver it to my local post office who always closes freaking early.
Its shipment facts put it as fedex home delivery.
happened to me recently. the prob will deliver tomorrow keep an eye on it updating.
Yeah, that's my guess is it's an erroneous posting or something. Im assuming it will come today but I'm not guaranteed to be home now to watch.
Oh yeah, tell me about it

In one week, I had three deliveries coming to me, all with the exact same address text copy/pasted verbatim - Quest 2 Prescription Lenses, Quest 2 Elite Strap, and a Valve Index (Yes, accessories for an Oculus and an entirely different HMD. I have my reasons.)

Prescription Lenses and Elite Strap arrive fine within a day of eachother, and I expected the Index the day after that and... "Delivery Exception - Invalid Apartment Number" - Which I've been told is what the reason is if they get there and the apartment-number literally does not exist at that address - Obviously judging by the fact that the previous two packages arrived here, I beg to disagree that my apartment number doesn't exist.

...Thankfully the Index managed to arrive the next day safe and sound but fuck me that had me in a light panic. Now let's see if the Prescription Lenses for that arrive here just fine like the previous set for my Quest 2 did just fine.
Oh hey mine's an index too since my Rift is basically dead. Weird coincidence.
Fedex driver here, let me clear some wrong information around here. This is the way I do things and I'm sure not all the drivers do things the same way.

1. OP, is your package FedEx Express? Ground? Home Delivery? SmartPost? Because there is a difference in all 4 services, and most people think they are all the same (and I know that probably you don't even have an idea of which one it is and that's ok).

2. When a package is left at your door without a signature, usually it is because the Shipper has authorized us to do so. You have to understand that FedEx business is with the person who ships the package (95% of the time the one who pays for and contract us). Sometimes shippers say that the package needs a signature, but when they tender us the package they don't mark it as such. And remember, they are the ones that prepare your shipment, so we go by what they contract us to do. We as drivers recognize this and just leave the package (I will release it as long as it's secure to do so).

3. When a FedEx Express driver says he went to your house and you weren't there, most likely he did. I'm not talking about you and your specific situation, OP. But we Express drivers make good money and our management has a zero tolerance to this behavior.

4. When sometimes the package arrives at your local station and gets "stuck", most of the time happens because the package is NOT due for that day. We are so swarmed that management doesn't want ANYONE taking next day deliveries on road.

5. Yes, we are using vendors to fulfill our route needs because the routes have doubled since the pandemic began. Most of the time they don't adhere to our same rules and regulations, and work they routes how they see fit.

6. I know that we have a bunch of lazy drivers. Especially in the sister companies, the quality is just not up to our standards. I'm sorry this has happened to you guys/gals, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way and I'll do my best to help you in anyway I can.
It's stated as fedex home delivery with indirect signature required. Im 100% sure the vehicle never even touched my street. Whether the message was generated by a computer automatically or the driver did, it I don't know, I'm bummed though because I did my part on being as ready as possible and accommodating with mask/sanitizer ready. Im not specifically blaming only the driver, just fedex as a whole because somewhere there was a failure.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
USPS does this same thing. Rather than potentially getting in trouble/having to refund for missing a scheduled delivery date, they will mark it as "Attempted delivery, no access to residence."

As if you live in a castle with a drawbridge that is up or something.

It's fraud, and it should be illegal.

FedEx Express fires drivers within a day for this. Which is why they don't do it. You can absolutely never fake a delivery for even one moment and it's incredibly easy for them to notice it because you're tracked every 6 seconds. You need authorization to do any of this and the only time you can ever get approved is if the package isn't actually due that day and was originally due the next day or if the weather is so bad.

FedEx Ground/Home delivery, Office, Express and Smart Post are all entirely different companies with their own standards and ways of doing things, which is why it's incredibly frustrating watching people say shit like "FedEx as a whole."

People here treat my entire profession like shit, like I'm not even human. Goddamn this site sucks with this.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
-It's winter so there's snow in the driveway and there are NO footprints of someone walking to my door. Nor is there a "we missed you" door tag.
They might have given your delivery a miss because they didn't want to go through the snow. I try to clear my driveway ASAP when I am expecting a delivery for this exact reason.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I had a couple of times FedEx in Canada straight up lied that a package of mine was either delivered or they left a note.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I had a very expensive small package delivered by them once, required a signature. They left it at the doorstep saying they got the signature when no one signed for it. Sketch asses.

same, but even worse... it was a $2500 gaming computer, and they left it not on my doorstep without signature, but in the lobby of my apartment building (with some four dozen units) without asking for a signature. absolutely awful.

Same only mine was my (now) wife's engagement ring, in a brilliant blue "Blue Nile" box left on the steps of a busy apartment when the front office accepts our packages. Delivery form claimed they got a signature which they certainly did not. She was scheduled to come home before me that day but got held up at work so I was able to get it and preserve the surprise but man was I pissed.

That FedEx guy fucked up so many of my packages, luckily at my house now the delivery guy is great...shame it's so hit and miss.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
They might have given your delivery a miss because they didn't want to go through the snow. I try to clear my driveway ASAP when I am expecting a delivery for this exact reason.
I make sure to clean my stuff when I'm expecting a package. I'd understand if the person said "Nope" because of a foot of snow and ice on my walkway.

Not saying this was OP's case and I expect it was a few inches of snow and the person was just lazy.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
My wife went through same shit with her new iphone, but I forget if it was FedEx or UPS.

We are sitting within feet of the door, she knows it's out for delivery, then the update comes and says delivery attempted, nobody home.

Complete and utter bullshit. She called customer service, because now we're worried that either the driver straight up lied (and why would they do that) or went to the wrong house. Customer service was completely useless, every promise they made, they broke, and they also had great difficulty getting it through their skulls that the "attempted delivery" status was bullshit. They just could not or would not comprehend it, and continued to operate under the assumption that we missed the delivery.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
UPS did this to me before. I was getting two packages, one that required signature and one that didn't. I have it on camera, the UPS driver walked up with only one package (obviously the one that didn't require signature), dropped it on the porch, got back in the truck and drove off. The status of both items got updated at the same time, one to Delivered and one to Customer not available. Customer service didn't seem to care, even when I told them I have video of the guy not even trying. Ended up just going to the warehouse to pick it up the next day. Frustrating since I stayed home to get the package and couldn't do that two days in a row.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The drivers are on unrealistic schedules with too many deliveries and people are going to have this happen due to those conditions, don't be mad at the driver be mad at the system is all

Nov 26, 2017
FedEx Express fires drivers within a day for this. Which is why they don't do it. You can absolutely never fake a delivery for even one moment and it's incredibly easy for them to notice it because you're tracked every 6 seconds. You need authorization to do any of this and the only time you can ever get approved is if the package isn't actually due that day and was originally due the next day or if the weather is so bad.

FedEx Ground/Home delivery, Office, Express and Smart Post are all entirely different companies with their own standards and ways of doing things, which is why it's incredibly frustrating watching people say shit like "FedEx as a whole."

People here treat my entire profession like shit, like I'm not even human. Goddamn this site sucks with this.
Hey as a FedEx Express worker, I understand the rule we have to follow, are bad but the stuff you driver can get fired for is crazy as hell. And I just people would understand not all Fedex are the same. There a big difference between how all the different company's work.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Fedex driver here, let me clear some wrong information around here. This is the way I do things and I'm sure not all the drivers do things the same way.

1. OP, is your package FedEx Express? Ground? Home Delivery? SmartPost? Because there is a difference in all 4 services, and most people think they are all the same (and I know that probably you don't even have an idea of which one it is and that's ok).

2. When a package is left at your door without a signature, usually it is because the Shipper has authorized us to do so. You have to understand that FedEx business is with the person who ships the package (95% of the time the one who pays for and contract us). Sometimes shippers say that the package needs a signature, but when they tender us the package they don't mark it as such. And remember, they are the ones that prepare your shipment, so we go by what they contract us to do. We as drivers recognize this and just leave the package (I will release it as long as it's secure to do so).

3. When a FedEx Express driver says he went to your house and you weren't there, most likely he did. I'm not talking about you and your specific situation, OP. But we Express drivers make good money and our management has a zero tolerance to this behavior.

4. When sometimes the package arrives at your local station and gets "stuck", most of the time happens because the package is NOT due for that day. We are so swarmed that management doesn't want ANYONE taking next day deliveries on road.

5. Yes, we are using vendors to fulfill our route needs because the routes have doubled since the pandemic began. Most of the time they don't adhere to our same rules and regulations, and work they routes how they see fit.

6. I know that we have a bunch of lazy drivers. Especially in the sister companies, the quality is just not up to our standards. I'm sorry this has happened to you guys/gals, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way and I'll do my best to help you in anyway I can.

Thanks for writing this.

Do you have any information regarding FedEx Priority Overnight? I'm currently dealing with a lack of tracking updates after the scheduled delivery date.

OP
OP
Cats

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Well, now I'm very confused. I came home a bit early and I did see footprints in a foreign shoe. They lead out to and from the road as if departing to a vehicle, so my best guess is that's the delivery person. But what's weird is 30 minutes later the big Fedex truck drove down my same little culdesac road, seemingly stopped at no houses, and drove by my house without slowing down or stopping. The inlet and outlet go back to an identical place so there was no purpose of doing that so I have no idea what's going on. Tracking info still says out for delivery and this was like 2 hours ago now (I waited to complain in case they drove by again?)

I can't even use the website's delivery manager because it says: "Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment" so I can't choose a different place, e-sign it, or anything. Guess I'll wait for an actual website update which I'm assuming it will say "No person home" in like an hour, and then get in contact with someone. I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble, at this point I just want to know if I'm getting this thing or if it's going to be in permanent limbo.

Do they deliver on weekends, so I can actually be here the whole day?

I make sure to clean my stuff when I'm expecting a package. I'd understand if the person said "Nope" because of a foot of snow and ice on my walkway.

Not saying this was OP's case and I expect it was a few inches of snow and the person was just lazy.
Yeah, it's rural Michigan so it's packed snow that's everywhere. I had shoveled after last snowfall so there was only a small dusting from the morning winds after I got home from work. Probably less than a cm of actual snow to sink into but enough to leave footprints that day as I could see my own.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
pretty sure they are getting swamped. i think i remember reading a story about them renting a bunch of uhaul trucks and having drivers deliver them that way.

I got a FedEx delivery today by a dude in a car with my package in the back seat. Looks like maybe he had one other package.

Felt like Uber Delivery or something. Was weird. Private courier I guess.

It was a time sensitive package (medicine which has to be refrigerated), so maybe they do this for certain cases

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Wait, they are all entirely different companies? Or do you just mean they are run differently? I thought they all fell under the same corporate umbrella...

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
My job revolves heavily around managing shipments. Fedex is on my do-not-use list whenever possible. Most recently, R&L Carriers has been added to that list.

Oct 31, 2017
Last week USPS claimed that they delivered my package

They didn't

And it didn't get stolen for sure, because in our townhouse people just let their huge packages lay in the front for days and nothing happens to them

I'm too lazy to get it fixed, honestly. But it's $35 down the drain

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for writing this.

Do you have any information regarding FedEx Priority Overnight? I'm currently dealing with a lack of tracking updates after the scheduled delivery date.
We are having major service disruptions because of the winter storm in Memphis. Service will be impacted for the next 2 or 3 days. If you want, send me your tracking number via DM and I'll check it out to see what's up.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
You got to call and call them out on that shit!

Several times I've had packages sent to my job (FedEx/UPS/USPS)when I couldn't be home and claimed they tried to make a delivery and they didn't. We have a dedicated secretary to handle and sign for packages with a camera system! So when I say "I'm looking at our camera footage and he did not make the delivery!!!" Lo and behold it's there first thing in the morning.

just skipping houses I guess...

OP
OP
Cats

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Final update: delivered today with my forged signature yet I'm upstairs and never even heard a knock. Only knew because I checked the app. It was just left out in the snow.

Really?

Okay, now I'll say it: girl/guy was lazy as hell.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
USPS: I remember my mother had a package sent with me next day delivery with signature and have to hand it to you or at least put in front of your doorstep and ring the doorbell.

Ended up the package being sent to my mailbox and I wasted an hour of my lunch from work trying to find out what happened to my package at the post office.

When we asked the mail carrier about it after we found our package, he's told me that he didn't know that we have to delivered directly to the person.

This was a package that if I lost it or stolen I would have been screwed really bad. I have lost my faith in the United State of Postal Service cuz this is happened twice to me in the past 3 months. The only mail carrier I seen consistent has been UPS. FedEx used to be consistent, now they don't even ring the doorbell, they just leave the package on the ground and walk away.

In my area, there are people who go around stealing people's packages from their front porch if left alone too long so it's important that I get a ring doorbell ring to know that they dropped it off.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
This shit happened to me with my RTX 3080 over the fall and it came very close to being returned to sender, and I would have lost my fucking mind if it happened. So in my case, I guess Fedex contracts deliver drivers sometimes who just do not give a fuck? On the second day of waiting for a redelivery, I was looking out of my house like a hawk. A Fedex truck pulls up, hangs out for like 2 minutes, a guy gets out in just plain-jane clothes (i.e. not a Fedex uniform) chatting on his cellphone, chucks two packages onto a neighboring porch, and then drives off. In that time he marked my package as undeliverable for the second time even though he never came within 50 feet of the door, let alone left a missed delivery slip.

At the end of the week, several phone calls to Fedex (completely fucking unhelpful) and requesting a fourth deliver attempt later, I get a phone call from the Fedex guy saying he was outside. Totally different guy this time. I chat with him and say thanks for calling, I was having a pain of a time trying to get the package actually delivered. He apologizes and says this is normally his route, but he was on vacation until that day so they must have sent someone to cover for him he clearly gave a fleck of a shit about anything.

Idk, glad I got it, but it's wild how completely at the whim of the person on the route you are to get your shit. I offered to drive to the depot 30 minutes away and get it myself when I called them on the phone, but they wouldn't let me. Idk what their phone CSR team is even there for because it seems like they're unable to do anything for people who call in besides just listen to them. I'd hate to have that job.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ordered flowers for someone. The package was one state away in Reno and had left yesterday. I assumed everything was good because it was set to deliver today. Later last night I see that it had gone back to Reno. Okay no big deal maybe.

This morning I wake up and find out it went to California for some reason and now there is a "Shipment exception. Delay beyond our control". Like...what???

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I like how everyone around the world has their own worst parcel delivery service of all time. Never had any problems with FedEx, in fact, they're probably my favorite postal company together with DHL Express (I'm from Europe though).

Be glad some of you never had to deal with Hermes or Yodel though.
UPS can be one of the quickest but as soon as one little thing goes wrong they inmediately shit the bed. Them being very bureaucratic makes everything even worse.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I live in Europe and havent used FedEx in ages. However we do have a company called PPL here and they are amazing. I have ordered stuff in the afternoon and then they deliver it the next day in the morning. They text you the day of delivery with the delivery drivers number and give a 2 hour time slot. Then they will call you 5 minutes in advance of showing up, best delivery company ever, it's at the point now I won't use any one else. If the company I am purchasing something from doesn't offer PPL I won't buy from them.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't bother with home deliveries anymore. I'll just select pickup at '___' because 9/10 times I end up there anyway.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Remember 10-15 years ago when everyone didn't buy from Amazon / ecommerce and you got stuff on time?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Why do you feel the need to come to the defense your co-workers? The hate in this thread is for the bad ones. It's like when good cops try to defend shitty cops or white people who see the phrase "white people are racist" and they feel the need to defend all white people. Be content with your goodness and let the shitty ones get called out for it. You should not feel personally attacked in these situations.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
A few weeks ago, FedEx was supposed to deliver a gaming PC to my front door. My doorbell doesn't work, an issue the landlord doesn't think is a particularly big deal in a pandemic, and the building door is locked to non-residents. The package required, in every bold term on the tracking page, an adult signature that could not be e-signed. I live on a fairly busy city street so packages get lifted by passers-by all the time if they're just left out. I figured I was not going to get it on time because of this.

So I put up signs telling the FedEx person to go around the back. There were multiple signs outlining exactly where they should go, because I can see them from my back window and hear them at my back door. I figured there was very little chance that they would miss all this.

At one point, I get a text saying my package has been delivered. I check out the back door - nothing. I check out the front door, facing the street. It's just sitting there in front of the door with the first sign telling them where to go sitting on top of it.

They didn't even get a signature.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Fedex home delivery and FedEx express are two separate entities with two different standards. Everyone working from home and wanting things delivered next day means that service is going to suffer badly. It's an impossibility to meet demand like that.
edit: and honestly people need to stop asking for signatures at this time because fedex drivers do not want to ave people touch their equipment right now. I work in a mailroom and the guys I've known for 15 years don't even ask me for a signature anymore.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i just recently had the weirdest experience with FedEx, i got that msg from them that they had delivered my package and that someone had signed it, some Finnish sounding name i tried to google but there is no one in our country with that last name. like wtf?? and of course they hadn't delivered it at all.

in their defense though some real nice dude called me a day or two later and told me there had been some "human mistake", and promised i would get it the day after, which i did. so not much harm done, except me being in a "wtf did they do to my stuff" mode for a couple days.

As a FedEx driver for a decade, it really warms my heart to watch an entire forum continuously trash every single thing I do and make me feel like a giant pile of shit moron who probably steals their packages and lies about everything I do, talking down about my profession that nearly broke my dad, that contains people going out every day in what is currently an unbelievable cold snap to deliver packages at the very high risk of coming into contact with someone with COVID. But no, I'm just a lazy asshole. Just a lazy asshole who always wears a mask and gloves, disinfects my truck, tries my hardest every day and then gets greeted at the door by someone not wearing a mask because people in their homes don't see us as people.

thanks for your hard work. it's such a massive company that there are bound to be a lot of mistakes and shitty employees etc, don't take the trash talking too personally, you're not the CEO! if everyone there were as responsible you seem to be, they'd have a great reputation i'm sure.

i assure you i can sympathize, i work as a patient transporter and i get treated like absolute garbage by some patients and their relatives etc sometimes (think COVID patients refusing to wear masks near me and so on)... people blaming me for all sorts of issues in the hospital that have nothing to do with me, and on and on.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever the FedEx guy knocks on my door it sounds like he's trying to break it down.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My problem with them lately is that I request a will call hold, they accept it, and then they drop the package on my doorstep.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't had a bad experience with FedEx in like a long time. The last bad experience I had was when the driver left a slip saying that they knocked and no one answered. I was sitting by the door all morning, playing on my DS, waiting for the package to be delivered. I didn't hear a knock but I did hear feet shuffling/moving around outside my door, which prompted me to check. Dude left a note on my door saying he knocked. I don't know if he was in a hurry or what.

I managed to get his attention and get my package; it was a phone to replace my broken one, so it was kind of important that I get it ASAP.

The most recent bad experience I had was 100% my fault though. I stepped away because it was well before the time I normally see the FedEx truck in front of my apartment but, with a case of bad luck that day, I guess the driver was early. It was my RTX 3080, which required a signature. I just went to the FedEx distribution center to pick it up after logging off of work the for day, no biggie.

I've had really good experiences with the FedEx drivers in the Seattle area.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite is, I saw the fedex truck pull up in front of my house, I watched him sit there for about 10 seconds. (I thought he was getting the package) then drive off. Only to get the "we are sorry we missed you we will try again tmr message."

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Invent in Ring or a similar camera system to catch their bullshit or someone trying to steal your packages

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had similar issues with UPS, they kept claiming a package I was expecting was on a truck to be delivered. I asked if they had some way to verify that, and they kept insisting on it. Turned into weeks. Even talked to Amazon and they talked to UPS they said, both parties just always insisting it was coming today.

Turned out it had been delivered to apartment office and not marked as delivered but the first time I had checked they couldn't find it.

They just have a script and basic info they have to stick to, unless it's at the actual investigation level, which is hard to get to.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what I get from this thread is eventually Amazon will just have its own drones doing delivery because every other delivery company is too shitty and is costing them Prime subscriptions.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018

Lmao, come on man. FedEx repeatedly doesn't even attempt to get my signature when it's requested, claims deliveries were attempted when they weren't, and I literally saw a FedEx driver punt a package to my door before. I'm well within my right to complain about FedEx without targeting every single person that works there.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Congrats on not being able to figure out how your co-workers are gaming the system, I guess?