LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're discontinued.

However the dualshock 4 is compatible with the PS3 now, so I'd recommend just getting one of those.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
You can order them new from Japan much more easily, though bear in mind that the control sticks are made slightly differently on Japanese PS3 controllers (slightly less convex tops).

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017
Tons of fakes on eBay. Beware if you decide to go that route. There's one that looks identical and is only missing the Sony logo that gets passed off as real.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Remember that you can play with your DS4 using GIMX, without the drawbacks of the native PS3 DS4 support.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No rumble is fine, that crap is a gimmick.

At least that's what all my ps1 friends told me when I showed them Star Fox64 :)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's a remote for a nearly 12 year old product. Is it really that surprising that they aren't readily available at retail?

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
It's a remote for a nearly 12 year old product. Is it really that surprising that they aren't readily available at retail?

I got mine in like 2013, so i'm a relatively "new" user

The controller I currently have is broken or something. No physical damage but the buttons freak out and do stuff they're not supposed to do.

I just had to order a ps4 controller earlier because my LT button moves my character forward in every game I play. It's as if it became a second left thumbstick.

randomhugs

Oct 25, 2017
I got my PS3 in 2013 for GTA. Bought a third party controller on Amazon this past December cause the one I had wasn't recognizing certain button inputs. I was worried about how cheap it was but, the quality turned out ok. It's feature complete to the official controllers and imo has a better D-pad. The sticks seemed a little sensitive but, that might be a side effect of using motion controls so much on Switch.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I got mine in like 2013, so i'm a relatively "new" user

The controller I currently have is broken or something. No physical damage but the buttons freak out and do stuff they're not supposed to do.

I just had to order a ps4 controller earlier because my LT button moves my character forward in every game I play. It's as if it became a second left thumbstick.
That's a common issue; happened to me as well. IIRC the contact between the button board and the main circuit board isn't very secure.
Short-term fix is to open up the controller and add e.g. paper, napkins, tape, etc. so that the pressure of the controller case keeps the contact secure.
On mobile so can't link more details, sorry.

randomhugs

Oct 25, 2017
That's a common issue; happened to me as well. IIRC the contact between the button board and the main circuit board isn't very secure.
Short-term fix is to open up the controller and add e.g. paper, napkins, tape, etc. so that the pressure of the controller case keeps the contact secure.
On mobile so can't link more details, sorry.

This is the issue I had with my old controller. The one I replaced it with was branded KLNO. After checking Amazon there are at least 2 other brands that seem to be selling the exact same controller. Down to the same design on the buttons. I think I've heard of OUBANG before but, I've never bought their products before so I can't vouch for them. However, they seem to be selling the same controller for a higher price.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Whoa whoa wait what? Over Bluetooth or just through USB and without the abillity to use the PS button?

These are the steps:
-Plug in DS4 controller via USB.
-Go to Accessory Settings and Manage Bluetooth Devices.
-Scan for Bluetooth Device.
-Unplug DS4, press Share and PS Buttons.
-Once device is found, plug DS4 back in and select Wireless Controller.

You'll have no rumble, and can't use the PS home button. Also some other issues mentioned above.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon, Best Buy, nobody seems to have them in brand new condition. Were they discontinued?
Well, yeah. That's just how it is.

PS3 (and accessories) will probably be the most expensive electronics toy in the future seeing as it's the best vg console of all times with probably the best library of all times and how fragile especially the earlier models are.

Which would be great, because I have like 5 of them.

Unfortunately all my controllers are broken, except a first gen silver one (which I always suspect is a Chinese knockoff, but damn is it a great controller, even though you can barely see it used to be silver anymore still going strong) and a see through dark blue one from my MGR SE PS3 and a couple of "SixAxis" controllers that are all in excellent shape (barely used and somehow better build quality than the DS3)

So if you want 1 of those, 30(€) plus shipping, it's yours. ;)

(I really need money rn, PC cases are expensive af)

Edit: Ugh, I wanted to check where you are before posting, but it auto posted lol... New York huh, that is far, shipping would likely be too expensive. :/

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously very annoyed at Sony for not making DS4 fully compatible. PS3 controllers aren't going to last forever and mine is the only controller that broke down. Now I have to buy some beat down smelly used controller in order to play because the DS4 specifically doesn't work on the games I want to play.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The same thing is happening to me. Both my PS3 controller have a minds of their own and they always start going crazy which makes it impossible to play any sort of games. Cause of this I have just let my PS3 be my dad's netflix machine but the controllers are making it hard to just navigate that. I wish they would just let you use PS4 controllers

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing is happening to me. Both my PS3 controller have a minds of their own and they always start going crazy which makes it impossible to play any sort of games. Cause of this I have just let my PS3 be my dad's netflix machine but the controllers are making it hard to just navigate that. I wish they would just let you use PS4 controllers

That has something to do with the ribbon not in contact with the board or something. It can be fixed.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, maybe I should buy some decent used or generic controllers soon. I currently only have two controllers (I think I have at least a third somewhere, but it might be at my family's home?) and one of them seemingly refuses to charge, so that's pretty worrying.

Sorta wish I'd purposefully gotten a full 4 at some point like I did for the PS4.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 is about to be two generations ago. So I'd imagine it's about as hard as finding new OEM GameCube controllers, lol.

Even at the end of its life they never dropped the price, which is ridiculous. I wanted a replacement after my second controller broke, but 60 freaking dollars, nothankyou.jpg.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found a legit one on eBay but you have to be very careful because counterfeits are EVERYWHERE.

In fact, I basically created this same thread about a month ago. :P

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A few years ago, a local store was clearancing DualShock 3 controllers. I bought dozens of them for $10 CAD each. Over a few weeks, I sold them all for $30 each on Kijiji. I kept two: one for me and one for my daughter.

These past few days, my controllers left analog is constantly drifting to the left. It figures. I should have kept another controller.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Do those CronusMax devices allow the DS4 to be used on the PS3 with its full features?
I used this device a lot last year, to enable me to use my PS3 controller on the PS4. I don't really recommend it. Time and time again, I would ensure my device settings were properly sorted via my PC, but even so, it would repeatedly disconnect (it wasn't supposed to, obviously). What I end up having to do is manually go up to the console and unplug, then plug back in. This persisted hundreds of times.

Not everyone experienced my issue, I'm sure, but nonetheless, I paid $60 for the CronusMax and expected it to work as advertised. It did not, and I eventually got fed up and simply stopped using it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I used this device a lot last year, to enable me to use my PS3 controller on the PS4. I don't really recommend it. Time and time again, I would ensure my device settings were properly sorted via my PC, but even so, it would repeatedly disconnect (it wasn't supposed to, obviously). What I end up having to do is manually go up to the console and unplug, then plug back in. This persisted hundreds of times.

Not everyone experienced my issue, I'm sure, but nonetheless, I paid $60 for the CronusMax and expected it to work as advertised. It did not, and I eventually got fed up and simply stopped using it.
Damn, so there's no solution to have a fully functional DS4 on PS3?

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Been trying to find a reasonably priced new DS3 since about 2 years ago but to no avail. It's weird, one day every where has them for full price then suddenly nothing, it's like they never went on sale, just disappeared.

My DS3 randomly thinks triangle has been pressed. Know what it's like to fly a helicopter with a full crew in GTA Online and you randomly jump out while the helicopter spins out of control? Pretty funny I'll tell you that.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll also have to invest in a new Dualshock 3. I own 2 but one of them has messed up left stick, if I press to hard on it, on some games, it'll register as an input from the d-pad.

I'm very very careful with the one fully functioning DS3 I do have.