• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I see this a lot, and it never made sense to me. I can understand a child whose only concept of a snow storm is "no school," but even many adults seem to borderline cheer them on, usually because they have a job where they get a paid day off, or just want an excuse to stay home and play games (or both).

Yet a snow storm very often poses similar challenges as other natural disasters, like a flood or fire:

Homes lose power and people freeze.

Emergency services can't reach people in need.

Food and supply shortages.

Elderly and disabled are trapped in their homes.

People either can't get to work or the business closes and they don't get paid.

Snow and wind cause destruction of property and infrastructure.

I just don't see why these events get a free pass when others would make you look like a sociopath.

Oct 25, 2017
A snowstorm in no way creates similar challenges as a natural disaster unless it's a snowstorm in an area that never gets snow.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
•Snow is pretty & fun to play in
•Work*/School cancelled (Snow Day Nostlagia too)

*Uness you do snow removal

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Z7HeRxU.png

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
You are really reaching with the severity of downsides in that OP.

Fuck sunny summer days!

Heat stroke
Dehydration
People cooking eggs on sidewalk, ew germs
Skin cancer
People without air conditioning in trouble
Increase in ice cream intake contributing to obesity epidemic

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watch any movie with a christmas setting and you'll know why.

It ain't that hard to understand.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
man, just imagine a Christmas movie taking place in a burning building or flooded town. kinda funny.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I like regular storms, even though occasionally someone gets struck by lightning.

A snowstorm isn't a natural disaster, it's a standard weather phenomenon that signals my favorite season. It can be dangerous, but so can the heat of summer everyone starts craving as winter goes on.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It is rare for people to die in a snow storm in a location where it is a regular occurrence. Not comparable to other disasters. Not even close.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In places where snow is normal, a big snow is fun because it DOESN'T cause all the stuff you said.

In contrast, it places where snow is NOT normal, you very very rarely get BIG snowfalls so the impact is limited to "oh god I can't drive"

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I not only like snow. I also like heavy rain.

I just don't like snow when I have to shovel out.

Also snow rarely causes major problems like that around here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
McDonald's kills more people than snow storms

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Snow is not a natural disaster, it's a completely normal occurrence. You might as well be angry at people that enjoy the sun because it causes sun burn and kills the elderly.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It means I'm gonna have blast snowboarding the next day. Why shouldn't I be happy about this?

OP
OP
Sectorseven

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of light snowfalls to look at and enjoy that don't cripple infrastructure in the same was a snow storm/blizzard does.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
depends were you live.
In Montreal, the city does a pretty good job plowing the streets, sidewalks and alleys

Meanwhile in Toronto, homeowners are responsible for shoveling "city" sidewalks which IMO is absurd.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
1. They usually don't cause the destruction of floods, storms or hurricanes.
2. It's kind of cozy to be inside while there's a blizzard outside.
3. A day off.

So yeah, I can see why people see them as okayish.

I've never gotten to stay at home though, but I'm also from the north of Sweden.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it socially acceptable to "like" hot weather?

People and animals overheat and die.

There are water shortages.

Fires sweep through certain areas destroying homes and livelihoods.

Electrical grids can overheat and cause blackouts.

I just don't see why these events get a free pass when others would make you look like a sociopath.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy colder temps.

Why do people enjoy 90F+??? People can die from heat exhaustion if their AC stops working?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I can go have fun in the snow. If I step outside during a tornado/lightning storm/flash flood/hurricane, I could die. Blizzards are very dangerous, but you can dump a foot of snow on all of the roads in a very non-violent fashion.

It's inconvenient, but snow storms are rarely freak events that come out of nowhere. There is time to prepare.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's plenty of light snowfalls to look at and enjoy that don't cripple infrastructure in the same was a snow storm/blizzard does.

I can't remember the last snowstorm in Pittsburgh that even got them to cancel class at Pitt.

About 8 years ago we got 3 feet over a 2 day period and shit was going on like normal.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been through both snowstorms (living in New England) and hurricanes (living in Florida), snowstorms are, in my experience, less risky and less challenging than hurricanes, tornadoes, or flooding.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Snow is awesome! It's one of my favorite things living in Colorado. We get the crazy blizzard every now and then, but for the most part our snowstorms average like 4" - 8", so it isn't really an inconvenience. You just have to know how to drive in the snow, and plan ahead. I also love how the sky looks at night before and during a snowstorm, with the orange glow.

I love pouring a hot cup of coffee and playing video games while it dumps snow outside. It makes me feel comfortable.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just had 25cm of snow in winnipeg yesterday. I was excited because I bought a snowblower 2 weeks ago on sale and got to try it out. Its a beast and made what would have been a 2 hour shovel job to 30 minutes. Even dug my neighbors out too.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Snow has good publicity when it comes to weather, it's culturally associated with wonderful times and happy things.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I enjoy hurricanes. Even after Irma and Maria (especially Maria) blasted through PR as beasts and basically changed part of my life... I am still looking forward to the next one. No clue how to explain that.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! Wtf is wrong with this society. SNOW. Amiright?!?

I'm sick of fighting this shit with plows. Mother Nature must pay.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Snow is fun and RARELY do people die from a snowstorm simply because if it snows, you stay home, sip hot chocolate, watch the snow fall, and play video games. Not like a hurricane or tornado where damage and destruction is fare more likely.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be a joke thread. I mean, it's pretty obvious no one is cheering on the potential for car crashes or the extreme examples you listed.

Why is it socially acceptable to like campfires? I mean you could burn down the entire state!

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it socially acceptable to like cars and any advanced technology? They're destroying the environment and perpetuating violence.