Do you think Red Dead Redemption 2 is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 980 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 868 40.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 130 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 84 3.9%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 103 4.8%

• Total voters

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've noticed a trend on ResetEra regarding this game, where people have proceeded to question this game's critical acclaim, and even going as far as questioning whether it deserves its Metacritic score of 97.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is no hive mind. I'm just surprised to see that what was one of the most anticipated and well-received games of the generation is frequently considered to be overrated. I have seen totally valid complaints about the game which I also share such as unresponsive and arguably clunky controls, as well as complaints about the design of missions. However even with its positive reception, due to its shortcomings it appears to be one of the most divisive games on ResetEra.

To name a few of my issues I have with the game, I'll start with the controls:

Unresponsive controls - To my knowledge, this relates to the higher input latency when compared to other games, as well as animations that are slow and have weight to them, Rockstar has attempted to address this in a new patch. But I haven't quite dabbled with it properly as yet.

I found the responsiveness of the controls to be tolerable in the story mode of the game, especially since the game is much more forgiving when you're playing solo because you have access to Dead Eye and the game slows down time when you're switching weapons. However, in my time of playing Red Dead Online's PvP game modes, I found the controls to be aggravating and unresponsive which led to many deaths. I'm pretty good at shooters, however being primarily a PC Gamer, the DualShock 4 did me no favours.

I also believe this game has inherited some of the issues I have with GTA Online and I would argue that the Online multiplayer is poorly balanced in Game Modes, as you can come into contact with players who have higher levels and better equipment than you and get annihilated (Dual Semi-Automatic Pistols or Mausers, good lord!).

Free Roam is an entirely different story though, I've taken on posses of 4 people and have come out on top. Perhaps its due to the nature of maps being somewhat more confined and player blips working differently (IIRC) in Free Roam compared to Game Modes?

I also miss the stand-offs at the start of matches in Red Dead Redemption, they were really fun! I hope they make a return!

However, even with all the issues I have with the game I wouldn't go so far to call it overrated. I found it to be one of the most engaging and immersive games I have ever played!
It's also one of the most technically impressive and ambitious games of all time, featuring a stunning and meticulously detailed world which really feels like its living and breathing. It's also one of the best looking games ever made, while still featuring an open world!

I found the combat mechanics to be really fun as you have many options.
For example, you can dual wield any two sidearms of your choice, this could be a Double-Action Revolver and a Sawed-Off Shotgun, or two of each weapon.
You can even carry a Rifle or Shotgun in one hand and a Revolver or a Sawed-Off Shotgun in the other, or even hold a lantern with one of your sidearms to illuminate the dark path ahead of you at nighttime!

I believe the PC version should help solve the responsiveness issues the game has, thanks to the lower input latency capabilities of PC Gaming due to things such as mouse and keyboard support, as well as things such as higher frame rates.

What is your opinion of the game, and do you feel it is overrated?

Edit - Typo corrections and grammar adjustments.

Last edited:

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not overrated. It's one of the greatest games of all time and no amount of forum nitpicks will change that.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll run into this a lot with any highly rated game, because nothing can please everyone. I personally found RDR2 to be absolutely miserable to play - a true slog - even if the presentation was great. I'd give it a 7/10

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its one of the greatest games of this generation ,it deserves its score flaws and all. Some of you really need to relax about people liking different things

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I just find the game a chore to play due to the animation, the clumsy controls, the ultra-linear mission structure, and the borderline useless UI (the gps and health icon systems are a joke).

It's a great looking game I want to like and a world I want to explore, but I can't bring myself to play it for more than an hour at a time.

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
I can't give a full opinion cuz I dropped the game and the reason is that for me the gunplay is boring as fuck. Lost my fucking money. Bring Max Payne 3 to PS4.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Personally I've always felt Rockstar games get insanely high reviews almost for the sake of them being Rockstar. Yes the production values are insanely high but there's a lot more to a game than that. Out of their entire line up, it was Grand Theft Auto 3 that I felt deserved all the praise. The game obviously doesn't hold up but at the time of it's release it was an amazing feat. Maybe I just don't relate to the companies games as much as other people, but even with red dead 2 I thought it was great and worth playing, but not the 10/10 some others felt it deserved.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
because this is reset era.

616729660298100736.png

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
and to even iterate most of the divisiveness is mainly on this forum outside this forum its pretty much viewed as a masterpiece

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
RDR2 did so many things for the video game medium. Obliterated so many benchmarks and became a pillar of open world game development.

It deserves every praise it got and far more. As there is no game like it at this very moment.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Haven't played it yet but people dismissing criticisms about the way the game controls as a "nit pick" is wild.

Is there anything more important for a game than how it controls?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest accomplishments of this medium. Game is a masterpiece.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People focus a lot of the controls (which are not even that bad), and forget about the excellent story, world building, breathtaking environment, animation and gunplay.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's closer to underrated then overrated.
Around here, absolutely. The way people discuss it would make you believe that it handles with seven seconds of input lag, tank controls, and six-inch wide pathways through missions.

In reality, it's just a conservatively paced third person open world action game with a lot of long, detailed animations for 'basic' actions. You have to approach the game at its pace, or you will drive yourself mad trying to push it faster than it is built to go.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
The clunky controls and the obtuse decisions with the gameplay that make it a chore. World is beautiful but navigating through it is tedious as hell. Still a good game though.

m_anger

Dec 13, 2018
The biggest complains come from those who never played it (enough) - as always.

It's fantastic.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Weird how no one questions the witcher 3 and that game feels like you're controlling a drunken ballerina

Oct 27, 2017
Got back to it last week after beating the sp months ago. I've been having a great time with RDO as long as I don't play any pvp modes.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people just get bothered over some games (like RDR2, for example) getting very high metascores and their fave games not doing too good, or at least not as good. that's all there is to it, honestly.

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've heard (haven't played it), it controls like garbage/has insane input lag/tons of overly long mundane animations you're forced to watch to do the simplest of actions.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Personally I've always felt Rockstar games get insanely high reviews almost for the sake of them being Rockstar. Yes the production values are insanely high but there's a lot more to a game than that. Out of their entire line up, it was Grand Theft Auto 3 that I felt deserved all the praise. The game obviously doesn't hold up but at the time of it's release it was an amazing feat. Maybe I just don't relate to the companies games as much as other people, but even with red dead 2 I thought it was great and worth playing, but not the 10/10 some others felt it deserved.

this is silly...... Rockstar only gets reviews because they are Rockstar

lets deep digger into this logic, how did Rockstar get to a position where they get incredible reviews. Where there name is synonymous with high scores. its not because they are simply named "Rockstar"...it might have to do with creating amazing games so people go "ahhh...a Rockstar game is coming out its going to be good"

People need to realize when they say idiotic stuff like this that the logic becomes circular and breaks down

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it outstays its welcome. The Epilogue is shit and so is Guarma. Money systems are also terrible as you get so much in chapters 1 and 2 that you're good for the rest of the game and can just buy snakeoil to render combat absurdly easy.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I now know what it was like to be one of those people who liked GTA IV when it released. I remember people bashing it for being too slow, too serious, etc. and it feels like we're just doing that again.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel like it's overrated. At this stage the consensus's that it's an excellent game with gorgeous graphics. Just not game of the generation material. And that's fine.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As gorgeous and detailed as it is, I find it a chore to play. So yeah, I think it's a bit overrated.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Its one of the greatest games of this generation ,it deserves its score flaws and all. Some of you really need to relax about people liking different things

ERA is far more known to pile on people who don't like latest big and widely liked thing than other way around.

I personally think RDR2 reviewed too well for what... issues(?) it has. Sluggish controls, weapon combat leaning hard on bullet time auto kill mode, same old R* mission design that they have used since GTA3 and haven't dated well, repetitive story / act cycle as basically every act that I powered through started and ended with 1:1 themes etc.

It looks good graphically.