• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Twitter user @Worthless_Bums was live-tweeting their playthrough of the Microsoft-published game State of Decay 2, when he discovered that one of the traits in the game, "Punched Nazis" is a NEGATIVE trait, making your character irritable.

7 month old Reddit post showing the trait being in the game, with the same negative effects:

He's tried many times over the past few week or so to get the attention of the State of Decay Twitter account, or any other Microsoft PR account, but well...

The official Twitter ended up blocking him without any kind of response. Apparently there were also two devs actively engaging with his thread until the nazi shit was brought up:

Not to mention, they also released an update for the game today... and didn't change it of course.

What the actual fuck Undead Labs???????

Last edited:

Corgi

Oct 28, 2017
Northern, New Jersey
This is poor communication. They could have literally just upfront said "our fault, we'll fix it" and been on their way.. Hopefully they explain what's going on and why they've done this.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020
Gross and disappointing. A bad look for Undead Labs and Microsoft Game Studios team. Hopefully someone sees this and punches whatever Nazi put it there.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't be the only one who misread/misinterpreted this at first and thought the trait meant that your character was a Nazi that got punched and not someone who punched deserving scumbags...

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Gross.

And why are there nazis in State of Decay 2 in the first place, isn't it supposed to be a zombie game?
It's a randomly selected trait for the characters you can play as. Some are positive traits that add to skills, some are negative traits that reduce certain skills or effectiveness but each trait has a name and a "backstory". Like clumsy or Green-thumbed or... Punched Nazis as a negative trait in this instance.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Oooof. That is extremely shitty. And they blocked them too. Wow. Can't wait to see how they try and maneuver through this if it gets more traction.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox will absolutely not care. theyre more than happy sweeping this under the rug as they do.

Mar 18, 2020
Thats a no-win situation for the person running the official accounts. Blocking is a huge mistake though.

When he says "devs" does he meant actual devs or the SNS account?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thats a no-win situation for the person running the official accounts. Blocking is a huge mistake though.

Probably individual devs liking him installing the game and posting initial positive impressions then no feedback to their posts after punching nazi trait found.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
That twitter thread is making the situation a little hard to follow.

There is a line of text in-game about the character having punched nazis, thus their stats went down. OP and twitter user is also saying "there is nazi shit in the game". Is the line of text about punching nazis the "nazi shit" that OP is referring to?

And there's a dirtbag in the reddit screen claiming "people who want to punch nazis are SJWS and Antifa"- is that a dev?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There would be an easy 'win' here if they just owned up to it and patched it out, whilst getting rid of whoever put it in.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I feel like this is being overblown a bit?? Like the text description makes it out to be a good thing that you punch nazis, and it is, but it would be an easy fix to just make it a positive trait? Defo not cool that the devs blocked him though. The negative effect is definitely a bad decision but its a bit of an exaggeration to say the game has "Nazi shit" based off of just it.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really shocked to see this. Several of their lead dudes have spoken at length on progressive issues, sometimes clumsily, but they seem like good dudes from what I've seen.

eta:
I feel like this is being overblown a bit?? Like the text description makes it out to be a good thing that you punch nazis, and it is, but it would be an easy fix to just make it a positive trait? Defo not cool that the devs blocked him though.

Yeah, the text makes it seem positive but irritable is shitty in game. +1 to Green Room ref but why is it negative??

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Punching nazis is always a good thing. It's the best way to deal with nazis. If nazis feel like they can be nazis without being punched, if the prevailing attitude is that being a nazi is just someone's political preference that should be "respected," that's how you end up with a NAZI FUCKING COUNTRY.

Punching nazis should not be seen as a negative. Ever.

And blocking him on Twitter for pointing it out is a really bad look. The absolute least they could do is a noncommittal "thanks for your feedback" thing.

Clean house, XGS.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok...so...how I'm interpreting it is that the character is just irritable towards other people, which is the negative trait...and the nazi punching backstory is just that..a story, showing an example of when his irritability towards people came out .. it's a leap to say that they are saying punching Nazis is bad

which, if that's how the devs get it I can see why they blocked the user who was flooding their Twitter feed

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time following this and maybe I don't get what the problem is. Because it drops your stat saying you're irritable?

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That twitter thread is making the situation a little hard to follow.

There is a line of text in-game about the character having punched nazis, thus their stats went down. OP and twitter user is also saying "there is nazi shit in the game". Is the line of text about punching nazis the "nazi shit" that OP is referring to?

And there's a dirtbag in the reddit screen claiming "people who want to punch nazis are SJWS and Antifa"- is that a dev?
Guy finds game making "punched nazis" a bad trait --> Calls out game and developer Twitter accounts about what's up with that --> Gets blocked by both of them with zero response --> Patch goes out for the game a couple of hours ago without changing the Nazi stuff

Reddit post is just proof the Nazi stuff has been in there for a while, and has been noticed by other people. The dirtbag there is just some random shithead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the devs blocking that guy on Twitter without acknowledging the issue at all, I'm gonna go with "the devs are nazi fucks"

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
The fact it is seen as a negative trait in game is certainly side eye worthy.

Yeah, but the description clearly says punching nazis it is a good thing to do. They could've just said "oops, sorry, that was a mistake" and they didn't, which is the bad thing here, but this entire thing seems so overblown. I don't think he got blocked for pointing out this, probably for flooding them seeing how overracted the entire thing is.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the devs blocking that guy on Twitter without acknowledging the issue at all, I'm gonna go with "the devs are nazi fucks"

Yeah...

Like it would have been one thing for them to be: "Oh shit, sorry, that was a mistake".

But to instead go radio silent is not a good look at all.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Feels like the trait is terribly written. I'm reading it as they're so irritable that they punched a nazi. The negative trait being that they punched someone, not that punching a nazi is bad. Really bad look that they blocked the person though. Let's see what the devs say tomorrow.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I have to say, this seems like a major overreaction. An entire dev studio are all nazis now because the backstory to a random trait is "an irritable guy punched some nazis in a club". I'd need to know exactly why they blocked him before ever reaching that insane of a conclusion.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
There are 1500 character traits in State of Decay 2. Of those 1500, 28 others share the same effect as Punched Nazis. They are:

Anarchist

Authoritarian

Burly

Distrusts Outsiders

Extremely Competitive

Former Activist B (The world was full of sheep before the outbreak. Filling it with zombies hasn't changed much.)

Fought in the Pits

Fussy

Hated The Boss

Hates Trespassers

Insular

Longsuffering Martyr

Machiavellian

Needs Alone Time

Needs Quiet Time

Overconfident

Panicky

Pedantic

Rebellious As A Teen

Sarcastic

Snarky

Sociopathic Vibe

Strict

Stubborn

Surly

Trusts No One

Vain

Whistleblower.

Now, personally I think the intent here may have been "doesn't put up with other people's shit" in a neutral connotation like some of these, as the worst among these (Vain, Sociopathic, etc.) actually have worse debuffs. Though idk, could also be a troll in the midst. There are 1500+ personality characteristics.

Undead Labs does a lot of social good, so this doesn't strike me as company wide. That said, they should probably patch it out, and while I suspect they blocked just to keep the conversation on the game, it just makes things way worse.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Technically, "Punched Nazis" isn't a negative character trait, nowhere in the game does it list it as such. Sure, It has a negative effect attached to it, but "Irritable towards other people" isn't exactly a game changing stat in State of Decay anyway. It looks like someone wanted Punched Nazis to be a character trait, and had to figure out an appropriate effect that wouldn't do much to alter gameplay. A real nazi or nazi sympathizer isn't going to shed light on "punching nazis".

Of course, I have no idea what the developers were actually thinking, this is just my interpretation of the trait. I hope this is just an unfortunate accident and not something made with malicious intent.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why?

The game thinks punching Nazi's is a negative trait.

jesus christ, no lol...

THE TRAIT IS THAT THE CHARACTER IS IRRITABLE

the Nazi-punching story was just an example of that character's trait coming out.

Like "hey, you can have this dude in your party, but be careful, he's a hothead. took on a whole group of Nazi's once"

I'm amazed, but not surprised, at how it's being spun

Mar 18, 2020
There would be an easy 'win' here if they just owned up to it and patched it out, whilst getting rid of whoever put it in.

I'd be imagine the person running the account isn't in a position to do either.

Even in the case of them referring the issue to whoever actually could handle it, acting on it would take some time and approvals.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't this game super RNG heavy? Like is the punching nazi's trait always a negative trait in the game?

That said, blocking him is a really bad look on their part.

This seems easily fixable unless they really got some Nazi fucks.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
jesus christ, no lol...

THE TRAIT IS THAT THE CHARACTER IS IRRITABLE

the Nazi-punching story was just an example of that character's trait coming out.

Like "hey, you can have this dude in your party, but be careful, he's a hothead. took on a whole group of Nazi's once"

I'm amazed, but not surprised, at how it's being spun

Nope.

I'd be imagine the person running the account isn't in a position to do either.

Even in the case of them referring the issue to whoever actually could handle it, acting on it would take some time and approvals.

Blocking that Twitter user is the worst move they could have made though.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Why?

The game thinks punching Nazi's is a negative trait.

Read the posts in this thread from other forum members. What you're doing is taking the tweets from the OP and taking them at face value without thinking critically. Look at the actual picture in the tweet. All it says is "irritable" under to "punched nazis". My mind is blown that this being interpreted as if the developers (or even a developer) is a nazi sympathizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.