andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Did you guys forget my man Bright also handled out "corrections"? The original Gundam puncher.

bfln5jRa_L37ziNWm-xNvCCLWbNHfFMQAOzt7WhlGskF6SbQx1Oz7Jm98bcW2_ow84ORqbI2Xh3Zdr_RS6c_-fjORNZuIWdeZjKamUzhFK0

"No fighting on the bridge!!!"

*Bright proceeds to hand out ass-whoopings like Halloween candy*

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
100% correct. Tomino is a hack.

I should say that Turn A is supposed to be the exception to the rule.
Everyone talked up Turn A for me, and I found it dreadfully boring and oddly paced. Interesting, but... odd.

I view Tomino very much like George Lucas. Gundam wouldn't exist without him, and he's had some great and influential ideas.

... But I think other creators have taken the concept and done better with it.
153590.gif

tumblr_pm0pm05qUi1vgibixo1_500.gifv

tumblr_m4rn8dZgaY1qa69wso1_500.gif

That said, I do legitimately like a lot of Tomino's work, including stuff outside of Gundam.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people have given good reasons already but for me, I just love how the antagonists are basically the "good guys" from the first series but radicalized.

The Titans are such a perfect antagonist especially in relationship to real world fascist militaries that we see rise out of the ashes of conflict. They're horrifying in their actions, childlike in their motivations, and ridiculous in their style. It takes a lot to match the Zeon as a villainous force but man did they succeed.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's made pretty clear Kamille is a Newtype prodigy and represents a new generation of Newtypes whereas Amuro was much less advanced in that regard. You could argue that's less satisfying but the rise of Newtypes is pretty intrinsic to the narrative of Zeta.

Also, Kamille lost both of his parents, I'd say that's punishment enough. He's a kid, it's hard for me to say it's his fault his mom died.
I should clarify I don't blame him for his mom dying, it's that he never really confronts that it happened after she dies and the show just moves on.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sayla wasn't used because her voice actress wasn't available and yes that's literally the sad reason she wasn't used in zeta or CCA. And Japan has this whole thing about not changing voice actors for characters whom are still alive.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Zeta Gundam was a great follow up to the original - continuing the dark gritty story however i wished the titans used gundams against the actual gundam.

I mean we saw little action in the beginning and then nothing

Still...better than the horrible shit that ZZ was

Also yes Bright is the best character in the series - possibly the one of few sane characters 😂

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I was legit confused when the war went to a war between the titans and the colonies into a three way with Zion, mostly because I feel that when they entered into the mix to the final battle the story was so badly told, like I legit think that there were some time skips or mixed events, that made the final episodes so confusing, I can't be only one who don't understand at all who the story went there since it felt like 2 parts were allies in one episode, and in the next one one of them changed sides.

With that being said, even if the plot was contrived as fuck and almost all the characters were jerks, I still appreciate the show, I love the 80's aesthetic in the show, the battles are beautifully drawn, and there are some interesting developments in the characters, like by the end of the series I actually started liking Kamille as a lead. Also I think that it works perfectly as a sequel to OG

Also the memes are god tier and the premise of the show is so stupid that you can't but enjoy it. This is a universe were a huge intergalactic conflict escalated because someone told a teenager that he has a girl like name
No, you're not the only one who was confused; the one episode you're referring to does get cited a lot, and is basically only explained by a line of narration and maybe some dialogue. The last leg of the series moves at a breakneck speed, with dynamics between the AEUG, Titans, and Axis-Zeon changing at several points (while also being further complicated by Scirocco's coup)

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Really outside of the original Gundam, most of Tomino's work is pretty bad. entertaining as fuck but he really is bad with characters
He's a bit like a George Lucas where he is a great visionary and concept person but his execution sucks. He's got no understanding of pacing, dramatic structure, writing cohesive dialogue etc. but he is a control freak and insists on scripting and storyboarding everything in his movies and many of his shows.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I was legit confused when the war went to a war between the titans and the colonies into a three way with Zion, mostly because I feel that when they entered into the mix to the final battle the story was so badly told, like I legit think that there were some time skips or mixed events, that made the final episodes so confusing, I can't be only one who don't understand at all who the story went there since it felt like 2 parts were allies in one episode, and in the next one one of them changed sides.

I don't think you're alone. I got confused pretty often too because characters didn't explain things properly enough or just enacted some sort of plan or strategy under the assumption that the audience gets everything from the get-go.

Oct 27, 2017
- Beautiful cell animation
- Best mobile suit designs in the entire series
- Probably 2 of my fav female Characters in the entire series. Emma and Karn.
- Felt more grounded than any of the AC stuff but was also much more action heavy than the OG series
- I like how bat shit insane Camille is. Very nice contrast from the usual Gundam protags.
- You mentioned this as a negative, but I like the nihilism of the series, and just how brutal the ending was.

A lot of this is subjective, but for me, this list sums it up. If Tomino is the George Lucas of Gundam, Zeta is the Empire Strikes Back of the series.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
On topic, as much as I love Zeta Gundam, the treatment of the women on the show is barbaric. I'm not oppose to Emma Sheen dying, but I suspect she was killed off for being a woman.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Not a huge Zeta fan since I hate Kamille and the plot was hard to follow in a lot of spots. The cliff notes of Zeta though make it an interesting series. I particularly like the designs. The amount mech designs in future UC era animation and manga being rooted in Zeta is my kind of lore. It's got a special place for me just because it ads so much to the Gundam universe and still receives callbacks.

Like seriously, just someone dismantle that silly colony laser at this point. How something that big keeps surprising Gundam universe characters is beyond me haha.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
He's a bit like a George Lucas where he is a great visionary and concept person but his execution sucks. He's got no understanding of pacing, dramatic structure, writing cohesive dialogue etc. but he is a control freak and insists on scripting and storyboarding everything in his movies and many of his shows.

Yea he comes up with great ideas but boy does he have lot of issues with story execution. So many of his stories boil down to at some point characters just doing random things out of nowhere to move along a plot point. I'm suddenly evil. I'm gonna kill this person. Imma blow this up. I hate person for thing.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Char was another odd one in that you don't really see too much why he would suddenly become fucking crazy evil in CCA. But some of it is there. He shows a lot of disdain for people of Earth as he tries to talk sense into them. They could've definitely done more but I understand that ZZ and CCA's production was messy in general and may explain some of it.

I kind of wish this was in CCA, but alas.

that said, the best part of SRW is Kamille showing up in CCA events and flaming the hell out of Char lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Char as Quattro was a believable characterization to me. Char was part of Zeon for his own reasons, and one of the big turns points of Zeta is his speech that humans must leave Earth. I love his mentor dynamic with Kamille.

If anything I think CCA didn't do enough to contextualize why Char went hard space Nazi. Like you get why he might, but they never show his turn.

Oct 30, 2017
I always found it interesting that Zeta Gundam is basically following the exploits of terrorists. The AEUG never really suffers any repercussions for their actions, either. Blow a massive hole in a colony? Eh. Lay siege to the Federation's military HQ? No big deal. Attack multiple Federation facilities? All forgiven. How many non-Titans Federation personnel did they wind up killing? How many civilians died because of them conducting military operations in and around population centers?

And man, did I ever hate Camille. The guy was a whiney asshole through pretty much the hole show. During the re-entry operation to Jaburo, he shoots down several defensless Titans suits, then justifies his actions that if they didn't want to die, they shouldn't have been there. Camille put a lot of people's lives in danger on multiple occasions early on just because Jared said he had a girl's name, and Camille never really faces any repercussions for it. The guy gets his family killed and basically just shrugs it off.

I'll probably catch flack for it, but I liked Judau way more as a protagonist. In fact, I think I actually liked Double Zeta more as a whole, even if Moon Moon makes zero sense in the UC timeline. Plus, ZZ actually gave us some of the only female Gundam pilots who don't get killed or used as the main character's harem.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'll probably catch flack for it, but I liked Judau way more as a protagonist. In fact, I think I actually liked Double Zeta more as a whole, even if Moon Moon makes zero sense in the UC timeline. Plus, ZZ actually gave us some of the only female Gundam pilots who don't get killed or used as the main character's harem.
I agree with you Judau is actually the better protagonist and overall between the original three (Amuro, Kamille & Judau) he is the most down to earth and relatable. Even despite being the youngest of the three protag's he is actually the most mature. People scoff at ZZ for being lighthearted in comparison to Zeta. In some ways that is true, but there are moments especially towards the second half that are almost just as dark as Zeta. Judau's decision making and reactions to these events actually makes sense and he does not go crazy overboard like Kamille would.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honest to god I just like Zeta because of Bright, Kamille, Amuro, and Char. poor kid never asked for any of this kinda shit. Seeing older Amuro and Char talk without trying to kill each other is neat.

and Char actually chilling the hell out with the betrayals and mentoring Kamile was cool too.

Too bad all of these things were ruined by its sequels LMAO

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
*whispers*

ZZ is actually fantastic and doesn't get enough credit for its main cast and their growth from common place scrappers to pilots fighting for real reasons. It starts light because the scrappers don't take the war seriously on any level and once it becomes their business and they get involved, the series gets real and the stakes are raised properly. The second half is so good because the first half gives the cast room to breathe. Judau is legit the best of the original protagonists because he ultimately confronts the war on his own terms and makes the decision to fight not because adults pushed him to, but because he finally felt it was the move to make.

He's very independent in that sense.

Also it has the most capable main female cast of any of the early Gundams.

Just saying.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
*whispers*

ZZ is actually fantastic and doesn't get enough credit for its main cast and their growth from common place scrappers to pilots fighting for real reasons.

Also it has the most capable main female cast of any of the early Gundams.

Just saying.
I like ZZ 👍 it does drag in some spots though. I need to rewatch all of UC it's been a few years.

There is stuff to like about Zeta too, I'm just not sure I align with the 'Zeta is top tier UC' sentiment.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say anything against supporting official releases, but it's such a bummer about the rights with theme songs, the original OPs are so damn good. Beyond that, though, if you had only ever watched the series on DVD, you're in for a treat with the bluray, it looks absolutely fantastic.
I used to requent the Anime On Dvd forums back in the day. I remember that being a huge controversy, especially since Bandai didn't say anything about it beforehand until everyone started getting their like $200 series sets with those weird pencil sharpeners.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MY husband and i had to quit zeta. it was just so annoying. Which sucks because i LOVED the Mk2 design.

Even emma is just... kind of there.
I think when the one captain literally asks Emma if she's okay running a mission because radiation exposure might make her infertile we were out. Women in that show get pushed around, act insanely irrationally, are treated like gentile objects, fall for men on a whim,

At least in MSG Sayla gets some solid kills when she sorties, We got to like episode 35 and Emma, who is supposed to be a trained Titan's pilot has ZERO kills. Not that "kills" are a good metric, but it's like... lady can't handle mooks. Just awful.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
ZZ is very solid, I think it lacks the "wow" moments of the first two shows (besides the colony drop) and it takes some time to find its groove but its second half has basically everything I love about Zeta in tone, story, etc. I do feel the supporting cast is overall less memorable though.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
re: ZZ, I actually watched it for the first time this year and.... well, the first arc is pretty dreadful with its basically parody villain. The general notion otherwise could have still worked i.e. having to rely on Judau because literally every other pilot the Argama had aside from Fa was dead (or a vegetable, in Kamille's case). After that and Moon Moon, the series starts to even out and does become pretty solid, thought it's arguably not until the halfway point that the tone gets "serious" and even then there's still more comedy ebbs here and there. It does have its redeeming moments, and it is more important than people acknowledge re: the overall early UC status quo and setting the stage for CCA.

I used to requent the Anime On Dvd forums back in the day. I remember that being a huge controversy, especially since Bandai didn't say anything about it beforehand until everyone started getting their like $200 series sets with those weird pencil sharpeners.
Ohhhh right, I completely forgot that the OP/ED being replaced was unannounced. That much was pretty deplorable, but I can at least understand why they're absent. Like I don't even think it was a money issue - Sedaka just flat-out refused to license them (Similarly I think the songs are replaced on streaming services in Japan since the rights for the originals don't cover that)

Oct 30, 2017
Emma really should have been one of the AEUG's top pilots, but she jobs for most of the series.

ZZ really doesn't get enough credit. Yeah, the Gundam Team are a bunch teens. Yeah, they goof off a lot early on, but they're still not only more relatable than Zeta's cast, but by the end, they're also better pilots. And they survived!

I really think Double Zeta gets most of the hate that it does because of Moon Moon, it's theme song, and because Judau decapitated the Zeta early on. People like to say it's goofy and doesn't take itself seriously, but by the time Ple shows up, it's pretty much on par with Zeta in terms of grittiness. Double Zeta even had the balls to have a colony drop occur mid season, something neither MSG or Zeta did.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I remember being so mad about this. I bought that LE set when it came out and was so mad the amazing OP/EDs werent there.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Zeta was one of Gundams that doesn't have red chin.

I think that's cool.

And Kamille & Zeta was strong in Super Robot Wars.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love the progression from the OG series through Z to ZZ.

Why do the robots transform now? Because of course they do. It is better.
Why is everyone an asshole now? Because of course they are. It is better.
Why do the robots gattai now? Because of course they do. It is better.
Why is everyone an even bigger asshole now? Because of course they are. It is better.

etc etc

Don't watch the movies though. They are shit.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
0079 is my favorite but Zeta is a close second. I didn't like Kamille initially but he moved right up there with Amuro. I also enjoyed Zeta's incarnation of Char the most.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When am I getting crossbone adapted? Sunrise plz.

You'll get Crossbone after I get Frozen Teardrop.

On topic, Zeta is pretty good. Though honestly it took me watching it twice to realize it. First time through I was thrown for a loop at the different dub cast compared to 0079/CCA. Second time I went subbed.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What would have happened in CCA if Kamille and Judau were actually around in the film.

577d43b3a5a5fcff90342a22f5b8d9ec_600.jpg

If I remember right, in Tomino's original plan for the 2nd half of ZZ Gundam where Amuro and Char took center stage again, Gyunei Guss was supposed to be a heavily lobotomized/brainwashed Kamille, but that changed when Tomino got apporval to do CCA instead.