• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Money.

That's it

Also the fact that they big up people like Colin Moriarty lets you know all you need to know

Last edited:

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the term influencer. I'm a YouTuber, so by definition an "influencer", but I think that's a terrible way to define content creators.

Setting that aside, I think it's one of those things where - taking a stand against a really popular YouTuber is going to lead to a road that those outlets are simply no longer comfortable going down. There was a lot of coverage of gamergate back in the day, but earnestly? The people who covered it got attacked to no end. Sometimes by both sides.

There is also a side of things where unless it's directly culturally relevant to gaming, should these outlets be covering YouTubers or influencers anyways? Not just back then, when they presented a more positive light to it, but even now? Should they play part in YouTube drama and trying to tear down a YouTuber by holding them accountable? Some may say yes, but to many it will come across as "x site of course is saying this, because x site is going out of existence due to content creators like y".

It's the same stuff that was said when the mainstream media went after pewdiepie. Some of it they had coming, other bits, they were correct about. But reality is, I don't think mainstream media, nor video game media, should really be covering YouTubers at all unless it's something highly specific and relevant. Like the Did You Know Gaming series that dives deep into literal unknown facts and development history.

What I mean to say is - YouTube and the content creators on it are relevant in their own right. But, what do they specifically really have to do with video games on the whole? Why should a video game outlet cover a YouTuber at all, unless it's a very specific informational kind of video? I am not saying YouTubers are not important, just that coverage of them has nothing to do with gaming, unless it's a very specific case. There was coverage of Dr. Disrespects stuff at it's worst, because he was at the time relevant to gaming culture more than any other streamer. Than, Ninja got coverage once he became the top dog. Especially since he, specifically, is also a pro gamer and does legit eSport stuff.

Reality is, beyond a few instances, there really is no reason to cover or draw attention to influencers, negative or positive. The mistake made in the past is giving them coverage at all.

Most video game outlets out there are here to talk about video games and a little bit on video game culture. Not to call out individual content creators and youtubers. It's the same reason you don't typically see say, Kotaku call out IGN for misreporting and misleading viewers on something, or IGN call out Polygon for lying about something else. That may matter to some gamers, but it's not wholly relevant, overall, to actual video games.

Apple_Prince

Nov 6, 2017
Kotaku reports on them regularly I think that 1. The articles pull in a niche audience and 2. you walk a double edge sword of saying this guy sucks and also profiting off them with article views and exposing people to someone that is lame.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Given that this thread seems to be built on a dubious, if not outright false premise, this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.