Votes: 178 26.1%

• Total voters

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Obadiah-Stane-Iron-Monger-in-Iron-Man.png

Tonight, a couple of days after watching Avengers: Endgame, I decided to watch Iron Man 3 for the second time since it's release. I honestly can't believe how poorly structured that entire 'story' was.

As successful as he may be with the character he portrays, I always feel bad for Robert Downey Jr. I would have loved for at least one of these sequels to have been on the same altitude, or even higher quality, than the first movie.

I don't know, I just had to get that out my head.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2 was pretty average, I think 3 succeeded because it was different. But everybody is pretty split on this.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
2 was the one with Hammer, so it's my favorite.

If a movie has Sam Rockwell in it, I have to love it. I don't even get a choice in the matter.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Both sequels rank in my bottom 5, with 2 at the very bottom.

I never read the comics as a kid, so I had no nostalgia for The Mandarin. As a fan of Ben Kingsly, I thought him haming it up was the the only bright spot of the movie. I really hated Guy Pierce's villain.

I found 2 to just be boring. Suitcase suit was great though.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Because after the success of the first - like most first time successes, the studio made the movie work for a release date, rather than the other way around.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Probably because they were forced and/or rushed. Sequels are rarely better than the originals, in any medium, so I don't know why you're terribly surprised.

Iron Man is still one of the best of those movies. Iron Man 2 was pretty bad, and was hard to watch, partly because the villain was poor but also because of Sam Rockwell and the fact that it just wasn't very good. I enjoyed Iron Man 3, but it wasn't as good as the first by any means.

I don't know what to vote for in the poll because I only like one of the sequels and there's no option for that.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just rewatched Iron Man 3 just after Endgame too and ended up liking it a lot more, after usually ranking it last among the MCU. And IM2 is still fun.

Still, it's sad the quality of the Iron Man sequels was nowhere near the Captain America ones.

Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame are all better sequels to Iron Man.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
2 tried to shoe horn into too much world building. 3 was straight garbage.

Pop-O-Matic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IM3 is the TLJ of the MCU. A great film that's hated on by whiny assholes for completely baffling reasons.

IM2, though, deserves what it gets. It's the film that more than any other embodies the idea of "cookie-cutter Marvel formula" movie...OK, maybe Thor 2 is worse, but still...

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iron man isn't a very good character and is only good as a guy who tells jokes/complains on the sidelines

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked em all for different reasons. The Mandarin swerve was pretty neat. I feel like AIM was wasted potential though.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man 3 is mediocre and the twist sucks.

And no, it's not because it wasn't the "real" Mandarin. Aldrich Killian is just a boring villain with one of the most laughable bad guy origins ever.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
RDJ is always good as Stark but 2 and 3 had weak villains and supporting characters. They were literally fighting fire monsters in the third one.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember waiting 2 years for the follow up to the surprisingly great Iron Man. IM2 was a total let down.

I remember leaving the theater thinking that Marvel was dead.

OP
OP
Chris McQueen

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
IM3 is the TLJ of the MCU. A great film that's hated on by whiny assholes for completely baffling reasons.

IM2, though, deserves what it gets. It's the film that more than any other embodies the idea of "cookie-cutter Marvel formula" movie...OK, maybe Thor 2 is worse, but still...
Iron Man 3 is actually my favorite of the IM films.
Iron Man 3 was the best one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tony-stark-eye-roll-gif-5.gif

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man 3 was playing in the gym today and it's remarkable how I don't remember a single thing from it. Its up there with Thor 2 as MCU movies my brain just doesnt care for.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man had an awesome villain Obadiah Stane to work off of in Iron Man 1. The sequels didn't have good villains.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man is still the best one in the series. MCU needs more Justin Hammer though. Only good thing about IM2.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've actually had a near complete reversal on IM3 over the 6 years (holy shit 6 years) since it came out. I think it's pretty great and does a good job practically inverting the core themes of the original Iron Man: Extremis comic arc to fit the mcu

Oct 25, 2017
2 has an underrated final big battle. It has a good amount of tension, moreso than Iron Man 1's Jeff Bridges turns into the most cartoony bad guy they could've possibly turned him into. Also "I want my bird"

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Iron Man 3 is mediocre and the twist sucks.

And no, it's not because it wasn't the "real" Mandarin. Aldrich Killian is just a boring villain with one of the most laughable bad guy origins ever.
Personally I love the backstory of tony stark was mean to me once. I wish the rest of his plans were that petty. Like he planned to kill his neighbor for storming his newspaper

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
too scared to do intresting villians for iron man solo movies

iron man armour but they are drones andiron man armour but with whips

then generic fire powers for iron man 3

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I really liked Iron Man 3. I just wish they left out the part with the stupid annoying kid.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think it's easier to satisfy a wider range of fans and movie-goers with an origin story, overall, than a follow up. The hero getting their powers, suffering an early tragedy, and developing their suit and honing their abilities eat up a lot of time and are generally fun to watch.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I remember feeling like a fool because I really liked the IM3 trailer back then, but the actual movie put me in a "no more superhero movies for a while" mood (which is why I avoided Thor 2... lucky me?).

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo that IM3 is the best one, Shane Black brought a lot to that. But I tend to like the MCU movies that take the tone from the direction more than the overall MCU as a whole.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Easy. The second was essentially a preview for avengers and the third wasn't actually an iron man movie.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Iron Man 3 is actually good because it's the only MCU film that tries to put its character through a proper arc (Tony dealing with his PTSD from New York). Every other film is hero fights an evil version of themselves for the macguffin. It isn't perfect but at least it tries.

Iron Man 2 is a trashy advertisement for The Avengers that is only saved by the brief moments of Sam Rockwell being on screen.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Iron Man 3 is the best Iron Man-movie and in my top 5 MCU movies. It's great! (It's basically Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2.)