• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_otxiduAEBg1sars6fo1_400.gif

Okay, I know what you're thinking, This actress from the Good Place with a career just starting, who acts like a snob and makes ridiculous faces and name drop celebrities as her friends constantly? Why does she deserve a thread? Because guess what? She's a fucking dope ass person.
tenor.gif

Known for being an advocate against airbrushing and the beauty standards of America after recovering from Anorexia in her early teens, she was born with Labyrinthitis which made it so out of her left ear she could only hear 70% and 50% of the other. She was lucky enough to have operations to fix this, but later in life was chased by a bee and into a street where she was hit by a car and broke several bones. She was told she'd never walk again, but after years of recovery she SPOILER did, and she says all her experience with these things made her grow up to reflect on how women are told to feel about their bodies.
JJ_Head.jpg

She's outspoken on the internets, and in general, seems to be all around good people. Happy international women's day, forkers!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her career isn't exactly just starting considering she was already presenting T4 a decade ago.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boom. Never heard of her but agree and love the quote. These silly celebs and artists need to step the fuck up.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
That other guy was a dick but seriously her bargain brand surface level feminism social media presence is really lame.

Great actress though, and seems like a nice person who means well. Her and James Blake are a hell of a power couple

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started following on twitter because of The Good Place and all of those folks seemed funny and I love the show. Did not expect to such a strong advocate for feminism and to see her speak out against so much shit women have to go through.

She's awesome.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That other guy was a dick but seriously her bargain brand surface level feminism social media presence is really lame.

Great actress though, and seems like a nice person who means well. Her and James Blake are a hell of a power couple
What the hell is bargain brand surface feminism?

I feel some people are upset when other people care so passionately about causes and devoting themsleves to it, especially if it's only a minor issue in their eyes.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading an article about how she was approached at a gym by a guy who said he could make her super hot by losing a bit of weight. She lit into him pretty bad. I like her.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Known for being an advocate against airbrushing and the beauty standards of America after recovering from Anorexia in her early teens, she was born with Labyrinthitis which made it so out of her left ear she could only hear 70% and 50% of the other. She was lucky enough to have operations to fix this, but later in life was chased by a bee and into a street where she was hit by a car and broke several bones. She was told she'd never walk again, but after years of recovery she SPOILER did, and she says all her experience with these things made her grow up to reflect on how women are told to feel about their bodies.

I remember casually looking her up on Wiki to see what shows she's been on, only to get my mind blown by how much she's gone through in the past. She's incredible on the Good Place, and I love that she's a good role model outside of the show as well. Good thread!

lol. Glad she's OK but that's pretty funny.

I was horrified when I read that

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
What the hell is bargain brand surface feminism?

I feel some people are upset when other people care so passionately about causes and devoting themsleves to it, especially if it's only a minor issue in their eyes.

Said shitty things about sex workers, coming after Beyonce for being an "overly sexual" role model for young girls, repeatedly coming after other women for being "bad feminists" but without any tact or real self reflection. She definitely means well but she comes off as a 2013 tumblr user, not a trailblazing icon.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Said shitty things about sex workers, coming after Beyonce for being an "overly sexual" role model for young girls, repeatedly coming after other women for being "bad feminists" but without any tact or real self reflection. She definitely means well but she comes off as a 2013 tumblr user, not a trailblazing icon.

Yeah. She's got a dash of white feminism and a healthy side of respectability politics. I love her work on the show and her work on pushing feminist choices, but she has hella blindsides

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh...oh...

Well still she has strengths, but good on you for bringing up the blindsides

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Oh...oh...

Well still she has strengths, but good on you for bringing up the blindsides

Yeah I don't mean to shit on her at all. She's TRYING. Which is more than can be said for a lot of celebrities. But just a word of caution against anointing anyone as the slay queen goddess for saying pretty basic and commonly accepted things (atleast among normal kind people)

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that it took less than half a page to fully circle back to the premise of the locked thread.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Loved her tweet about celebrities shilling detox teas and other similar products.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't mean to shit on her at all. She's TRYING. Which is more than can be said for a lot of celebrities. But just a word of caution against anointing anyone as the slay queen goddess for saying pretty basic and commonly accepted things (atleast among normal kind people)

Ya.

Tbh the main reason i like her is she's been quite open about "I'm not perfect, call me out if i fuck up" etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jameela is incredible. Every day I see more examples of her standing up and doing the right thing. I don't like twitter much but when I do pop on there I'm always glad to see her fighting.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that it took less than half a page to fully circle back to the premise of the locked thread.
I'd say it's inherently more respect and useful discussion to prop her up while admiring some faults then some mysterious other thread that never existed and if it did shouldnt of.

On the same coin something can be said for woman trying to make change in anyway and so on and so on...

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'd say it's inherently more respect and useful discussion to prop her up while admiring some faults then some mysterious other thread that never existed and if it did shouldnt of.

On the same coin something can be said for woman trying to make change in anyway and so on and so on...

Also, whatever my misgivings about her social media presence are, doing a "DOES ANYONE FIND THIS BITCH ANNOYING" thread on IWD was weird and transparent.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
She is but I'm also a bit cynical to say that it's easier to promote body positivity when you look like a supermodel.

Edit: prolly shoulr have read the op

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
She got chased by a bee and then got hit by a car?

I was not expecting that segue.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend doesn't like her because apparently she takes words from other activists and passes them as her own.

I like her a lot in The Good Place.