• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's not technically a bad film, but it's also a 'why does this needed to exist' product.

So basically like every other direct-to-video movie that you've never heard of.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they know why the MCU is doing so well?

Part of what keeps me coming back to MCU movies is that each one is almost required viewing (for the post credits scenes if nothing else) for the greater product. Solo was like "Here's a prequel with not-Harrison Ford that doesn't really connect to anything or go anywhere".

If it had tidbits that kinda connected to or foreshadowed events in Episode 9 even in the smallest bits, then I think people might have given a bit more of a damn.

Or better yet, release Solo before Episode 7 and have parts of Solo connect to shit happening to Han in Episode 7 since that's the end of his story.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the beginning of the movie was really weak, but everything after he meets Chewbacca was great.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch it because I had no stake in the characters actions. I knew no matter what, they came out of it alive and in a good enough place to continue on from what we knew of Han's story before in the OT.

Imagine going into any other Star Wars movie and being told who will live or die in the movie. You'd be bored.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
No one needed an origin story about that character, it came after the disaster that the last jedi was so it did not get a free pass so it was mostly ignored.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because people cannot enjoy simple things anymore and have to make a hyperbole about everything. "tHe NaMiNg ScEne Is ThE wOrSt In StAr WaRs!!!11" is such a mindboggingly stupid take it's not even worth explaining why.

I liked Solo a lot, it gave me pretty much exactly what I wanted. I enjoyed Ehrenreich and pretty much all the characters in it. The entire part on Mimban is great. Hell, everything about this movie is great. The heist things and stuff are just extremely enjoyable.

I didn't watch it because I had no stake in the characters actions. I knew no matter what, they came out of it alive and in a good enough place to continue on from what we knew of Han's story before in the OT.

Imagine going into any other Star Wars movie and being told who will live or die in the movie. You'd be bored.
Have you not watched the prequels?

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like the Cronenberg esque body horror that was Alden Ehrenreich trying to look like a young Ford.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
On top of all the criticism so far I'll also add that I was excited about seeing Rogue One which had cool looking characters, an interesting premise and the time frame being before a new hope was exciting at the time. Despite all that, the actual movie was a total snore. And I had the opposite impressions about Solo so combined with being soured by RO I just skipped it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because people cannot enjoy simple things anymore and have to make a hyperbole about everything. "tHe NaMiNg ScEne Is ThE wOrSt In StAr WaRs!!!11" is such a mindboggingly stupid take it's not even worth explaining why.

I liked Solo a lot, it gave me pretty much exactly what I wanted. I enjoyed Ehrenreich and pretty much all the characters in it. The entire part on Mimban is great. Hell, everything about this movie is great. The heist things and stuff are just extremely enjoyable.

Have you not watched the prequels?
Ehrenreich was underrated as young Solo and the best thing about the movie.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They should have finished the saga off before returning to explore freshly killed characters. I prefer the smaller scale of Solo and enjoyed the fun romp more than most of the main films, they are just a slog to get through.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I just saw the movie and I thought it was good on it's own way. You would imagine that a movie centered about one the most iconic characters on film history would do fairly well, specially in the Star Wars franchise.

What happened?
Well, what's your story? Why did you wait a year and a half to watch it?

I just watched it last weekend. So I'm part of the reason why too. The reason why I waited was because of the middling reviews, the trailers did nothing for me, and I didn't have anyone to watch it with. But when I walked away I felt like it was mostly "fine." There was a lot of...I hesitate to use the word, but fan service in there that I appreciated. Loved everything about L3.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I loved it. I don't understand the argument that a story doesn't need to be told. Seeing more of a world you like is cool and Solo had some really great set pieces (love the train heist).

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they know why the MCU is doing so well?

Part of what keeps me coming back to MCU movies is that each one is almost required viewing (for the post credits scenes if nothing else) for the greater product. Solo was like "Here's a prequel with not-Harrison Ford that doesn't really connect to anything or go anywhere".

It was trying to. That's the whole point of the tease at the end. They were trying to setup the criminal underworld and I actually wish I could see what they were trying to build up to.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Was the most "Star Wars-y" thing since the OT.

The justifications for why it didn't do well always seem odd though.
No one asked for it? Tons of movies that "no one asked for" are hits. Who was asking for Rogue One?
He doesn't need an origin story or no one cares about young Han? Tons of people are asking for young Lando and movies about what Obi Wan did in the desert - why are those any different?
No one can replace Harrison Ford? But replacing Billy Dee Williams and having Ewan McGregor play Obi Wan are/were fine? Seems like a weird argument.
He had an acting coach? Another odd one that 99.9% of people will never know or care about, and it's not even a weird thing.
Director change? Meh, didn't seem to hurt Rogue One or will hurt RotS. Most people won't know or care.
I'm not really sure why Solo didn't do well, but none of the usual explanations seem to cover it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I loved it. I don't understand the argument that a story doesn't need to be told. Seeing more of a world you like is cool and Solo had some really great set pieces (love the train heist).

Yep, just lots of fun moments, also the fan service stuff didn't bother me because it doesn't matter, I don't care why he's called Solo enough to care.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it when people criticize Ehrenreich, he looks enough like Han and he nailed a lot of the mannerisms and the voice sometimes, albeit a younger version. Someday I'll make a comparison video. When he meets with Lando in the end of the movie on the paradise planet, that's Harrison's laugh from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's just the same laugh.

He also reminds me of Ray Liotta in Goodfellas.

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
I just watched it for the first time last week and loved it. No idea why it gets some hate. I thought it was great. Good story, good action, good SW material. etc.
Same. It was way better than Rogue One to me. And in the EU Han NEVER had his backstory explained, just a bunch of rumors...it makes you see a new hope differently, why he is so cynical. His mentor betrayed him and was forced to kill him, his partner betrayed him, his girlfriend betrayed him

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I enjoyed it, it was too much star wars too soon. Also, harrison ford is what makes solo

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I really liked the film. My only issue with it was Donald Glover. Some scenes he did perfect trying to be his own Lando. Others he seemed to be doing a BDW impression. It was just jarring.

Oh, and I hated the thing with his last name. So stupid and forced.

Oct 30, 2017
i liked it okay, it's definitely a better movie than rogue one overall.

but it still felt pretty pointless and equally fan-servicey, only with the kind of service that most fans would decline rather than cheap vader-goes-ham scenes. the lead performance was also very uneven, sometimes being uncannily great and other times just... not.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I skipped it originally, as I didn't have any interest in a Han Solo prequel. I'd imagine it's the same for many standard SW fans.
I finally saw it at some point this year and... honestly it's wasn't that bad. Actually, if you completely divorced it from being about Han Solo, then it would be a really solid Star Wars side story. Like just make it about some random smuggler dude, it didn't have to tie every single one of its threads into the original trilogy.

That silly "name" scene perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with the film.
It's not about how dumb that scene is, it's about how unnecessary that scene is. Nobody cares why his last name is Solo.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how some people's responses are still "because people didn't like the last jedi"

People didn't like Thor: The Dark World but that didn't affect The Winter Soldier's BO performance.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1) it wasnt a concept that interested people
2) it was a Han Solo movie without Ford as Solo
3) it got average/mediocre reviews
4) it came out a few months after the most recent star wars movie

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
To echo others.

Nobody wanted this movie. The production issues were publicly known as well. It was also only months from the last Star Wars.

It was doomed. Even if they waited until December it still would have flopped because nobody gave a shit.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
As I've said in other topics about the same thing, it was a movie made to answer the questions next to no one was interested in the answers to aside from Lawrence Kasdan.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Han Solo has a relation with Darth Maul, who killed Obi-Wan's master, who had found Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine, through his ex-girlfriend.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers made Han look boring. Can't sell a Han Solo movie with a boring Han Solo.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I liked it, but I think most people just don't care about the character without Harrison Ford in the role. And I don't really blame them.

That being said, I still attribute the lukewarm reception to releasing the film in May instead of December. Disney had established December as Star Wars month. I'm frankly baffled as to why they would shift this to the spring.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It was a fine movie, but did not need to exist and didn't add anything of value to the lore of the character or to the franchise.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It wasn't necessarily the case that it was too close to the last Star Wars movie - I'm still sure that Star Wars can be like the MCU.

But they made the mistake of making the star wars universe feeling incredibly small through the spin offs - and the announced spin offs at the time were even worse. There was a yoda spin off planned..

Star Wars needed to expand and focus on fan favorite characters that didn't have movies at the time. Things that were fan favorites in the old Canon that were not yet adapted for the new one. Thrawn or Mara Jade could've turned heads, KotOR would have been impressive.

Fans would have been stoked to see them on the big screen, coming from the books and games similarly to new MCU entries.
But focusing on Yoda, Han, the Death Star, all prequels, all tightly connected to what we know by heart already and overly explaining things we dont want or need to know is not a way to expand the universe, it's a way to shrink it down.

The Mandalorian does the right thing - it's completely unrelated to any known Characters and that's the fresh shot Star Wars needs.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
The worst part of the movie was the fact it's actually pretty good. I wish they would have just given us a new charecter though instead of using Han. I think a new charecter set in a different time using the same story beats would have worked well.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I liked it. But I'm also not a major SW fan. For example, I've seen several people call this movie boring but when that word pops into my head I think "Rogue One".

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The simplest answer is that it was released just 5 months after Last Jedi and people weren't looking for a new Star Wars movie yet. They should have taken their time with it and released it in December. Star Wars isn't Marvel.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It shouldn't of bombed. It retained everything the OT had, namely a sense of fun and adventure. Not like this mopey ST.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
It was significantly better then the Star Wars movie that preceded it but was hurt because of that