Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
slate.com

The Real Reading Crisis Involves the Kids Who Don’t Have Phones

It’s not the pandemic. It’s not (only) the Devices. So what causes the “decline by 9”?

Most alarmingly, kids in third and fourth grade are beginning to stop reading for fun. It's called the "Decline by 9," and it's reaching a crisis point for publishers and educators. According to research by the children's publishers Scholastic, at age 8, 57 percent of kids say they read books for fun most days; at age 9, only 35 percent do. This trend started before the pandemic, experts say, but the pandemic accelerated things. "I don't think it's possible to overstate how disruptive the pandemic was on middle grade readers," one industry analyst told Publishers Weekly.

What's causing the Decline by 9? It might be screens, but it's not only screens. It's not like kids are suddenly getting their own phones at age 9; recent survey data from Common Sense Media reveals that phone ownership holds steady, at around 30 percent, among kids aged 8 and 9. (It isn't until they reach 11 or 12 that the majority of American kids have their own phone.) Indeed, several people I spoke to mentioned that middle-graders' lack of phones created a marketing problem in an era when no one at any publishing house has any idea how to make a book a bestseller other than to hope it blows up on TikTok. "BookTok is imperfect," said Karen Jensen, a youth librarian and a blogger for School Library Journal, "but in teen publishing it's generating huge bestsellers, bringing back things from the backlist. There's not anything like that right now for the middle-grade age group."

But others also pointed to the way reading is being taught to young children in an educational environment that gets more and more test-focused all the time. "I do not blame teachers for this," said O'Sullivan, but the transformation of the reading curriculum means "there's not a lot of time for discovery and enjoyment in reading." She noted a change I, too, had noticed: Reading in the classroom has moved away from encouraging students to dive into a whole book and moved toward students reading excerpts and responding to them. "Even in elementary school, you read, you take a quiz, you get the points. You do a reading log, and you have to read so many minutes a day. It's really taking a lot of the joy out of reading."

More causes and aggravating factors in the article. Book bans, black and queer authors forced to write certain material that doesn't reach kids, etcetera.

What nearly everyone I spoke to in children's publishing agrees would solve the problem in a snap is a new blockbuster, the kind of Harry Potter–style success that raises all boats. The industry can't depend on Captain Underpants forever, even though, as Connor noted, "The devil works hard, but Dav Pilkey works harder." While more than one person I spoke to expressed an existential fear—what if that next blockbuster never comes? What if we're in the post-children's-blockbuster era?—Eberly was more sanguine. "I don't worry that we're not going to have another blockbuster," she said. "I'm hoping that the tent expands. I've always kind of hated it when there's only one tentpole, like Harry Potter or whatever. I want there to be more tentpoles with room for more people underneath."

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The best way as a parent to to get your kids to read at home for fun is to be an avid reader yourself.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
We read to our kids when they were small and we're trying to establish group reading times where we sit on the couch and read in silence.

So far our oldest really enjoys reading and we'll see for the youngest who is just learning the alphabet…

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
This might rub some the wrong way, but I think during the tail end of my generation the Harry Potter series was a big driver of reading interest for many in the age range and above. But not just HP, there were other popular series that carved out their own niches in that time, HP just happened to be THE book series that kids gravitated to. Even in an era of ever present technology there are ways to still tap into that pool again with all the options available.

EDIT: Just saw the passage quoted at the end sort of addressed that.

Aug 31, 2019
It would be interesting to see this data across other countries, and try to cross reference that to education philosophy

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
She noted a change I, too, had noticed: Reading in the classroom has moved away from encouraging students to dive into a whole book and moved toward students reading excerpts and responding to them. "Even in elementary school, you read, you take a quiz, you get the points. You do a reading log, and you have to read so many minutes a day. It's really taking a lot of the joy out of reading."

School districts across the country and pushing this sort of nonsense. Nobody actually gets to read books in school anymore. You basically skim excerpts and try to piece together what's going on based on them and what your teacher tells you happened. Shits the same with short stories longer than a few pages too. It's absurd.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
The best way as a parent to to get your kids to read at home for fun is to be an avid reader yourself.

I wish it was that simple. My partner and I both read quite a bit, and our kids don't really like it (in this reported age range). Neither have phones too.

They would rather do other things. We still have to encourage it. There is just too much competing for their attention right now, even non-screen activities.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I mean it's not just personal screens, but what other things are the kids allowed to do for fun? I doubt they're just outside playing all day. But if you let them watch tv all day, they're going to read less. Shoot I loved reading but if we had all these entertainment options and my parents didn't limit my screen time, I'd be watching tv all day too as a kid.

And I have no idea why screens=phones in this article. My youngest doesn't have a phone but she does have access to an ipad and she would be on it all day if she could.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
School districts across the country and pushing this sort of nonsense. Nobody actually gets to read books in school anymore. You basically skim excerpts and try to piece together what's going on based on them and what your teacher tells you happened. Shits the same with short stories longer than a few pages too. It's absurd.
I work for an education company, although I am not an educator myself, and this was my first thought as well. It's less and less about reading a whole book and more about teaching concepts and standards from specific excerpts of books removed from the larger context of the complete story and the experience of actually reading a whole book.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've always found the device blame a bit too easy of a copout. This is a multifactorial problem.

Aug 31, 2019
This is awful, and sounds like what I was experiencing at 7th form (last year of high school) 20 years ago has crept all the way down to where school used to be fun 😭

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The internet killed my interest in reading. It so easy to get distracted by YouTube, ResetERA, Wikipedia and more.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Are you saying this for teacher led discussions or for the reading logs/online quizzes thing? Because if it's for the latter, kids have always tried to take shortcuts (hence the Cliff notes books) when reading books, and I imagine it's easier than ever to get the summary of a book and the answers to questions online. But in class, do teachers really not read a book together as a class then have them write essays and such?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I learned to read really late, I had to have like special lessons or whatever just to teach me, but my mum also took me and my sisters to the library every month or so and once I learned to read I was an avid reader. I just read everything, tons of books of all kinds. It's really sad kids are missing out on this.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This is awful, and sounds like what I was experiencing at 7th form (last year of high school) 20 years ago has crept all the way down to where school used to be fun 😭
My eldest is 9, and she's definitely facing this problem. Her assessments involve parsing and analysing short extracts from books like "The Secret Garden" that I remember reading in full, and then moving on to the next extract.

She does read for pleasure at home, but less often than I'd like. To be real, though, that also describes me: I used to read at least an hour every day, but with work and kids I'm lucky to get an hour a week in these days.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even anything new, it was around back when I was in elementary school. It was why I often loathed reading on my own because it just felt like work. Probably my ADHD wasn't helping matters either, but still.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was in elementary school we had this program called "Accelerated Reader," and there were different grades of books in the library. First grade books give the lowest points, and books for fifth graders gave the highest. To get the points, you had to read the book (only select books were part of this program) and then take a test on the school computer. The better you did on the test, the more points you got, and you could get more points if you read harder books. You could do as many as you wanted in the semester/year, and you'd get rewards for having tons of points, like pizza, stuffed toys etc.

Looking back on it, it was legitimately terrible and I consider it THE reason I stopped reading for fun. I was burnt out on books before middle school, and it is a shame because I loved reading before. It sometimes feels like schools are determined to take the joy out of reading.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, we didn't read an assigned full novel until the third grade, and then it was only one. (Which I didn't like...) It sounds like kids aren't even getting that now?

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I teach third (8-9) and I try hard to find books that will match their interests. My classroom library is visited by the entire third grade because I have a lot of books they like. I require them read for 15 in class every day, but a lot of my parents don't value reading as much as other activities. I miss novel studies. I'd love to teach something like The One and Only Ivan and align the standards as we go through the book, but I'm stuck teaching excerpts from books. There's so much more you can do with an entire novel. And make it contemporary. Classics are good, but my students are much more engaged with the modern/recently published books.

I'm teaching first grade next year, so I'll be teaching students how to read, but I hope I can get a good library of beginner picture books that I can use to leverage a love of reading as they learn how to read.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
There's just too much competition. Social media, YouTube/TikTok, video games, streaming services, etc.bEven sites like Ao3 and Wattpad are eating into the market.

And many young people I've talked to have said they can't imagine paying $20 for a book you'll read once when there's so much free or cheap entertainment out there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When I was in elementary school we had this program called "Accelerated Reader," and there were different grades of books in the library. First grade books give the lowest points, and books for fifth graders gave the highest. To get the points, you had to read the book (only select books were part of this program) and then take a test on the school computer. The better you did on the test, the more points you got, and you could get more points if you read harder books. You could do as many as you wanted in the semester/year, and you'd get rewards for having tons of points, like pizza, stuffed toys etc.

Looking back on it, it was legitimately terrible and I consider it THE reason I stopped reading for fun. I was burnt out on books before middle school, and it is a shame because I loved reading before. It sometimes feels like schools are determined to take the joy out of reading.

I'm curious what the alternative is, though, besides parents being involved and helping to instill a love of reading at home. I doubt I would have read many novels as a kid if I weren't forced to, and I didn't have near the choices that kids had today to distract them. What's going to incentivize kids to read on their own?

I'd think even things like manga and sequential storytelling books like Dog Man and Captain Underpants help distract from kids reading full books (not fully, of course... I read a ton of comics as a kid and it helped me to expand my vocabulary a ton)

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what the alternative is, though, besides parents being involved and helping to instill a love of reading at home. I doubt I would have read many novels as a kid if I weren't forced to, and I didn't have near the choices that kids had today to distract them. What's going to incentivize kids to read on their own?

I'd think even things like manga and sequential storytelling books like Dog Man and Captain Underpants help distract from kids reading full books (not fully, of course... I read a ton of comics as a kid and it helped me to expand my vocabulary a ton)
Ive read so many anecdotes over the years on social media about people who stopped reading for fun and the things that most of them have in common has to do with testing. They come to associate books with tests. Or they will revisit a book later on in life, fall in love with it, and say "I probably would have loved this book back then if I hadn't had to analyze it according to my teacher's whims and take tests on it."

It's like how people will turn a beloved hobby into a job, and then come to hate the hobby.

Obviously, being analytical about stories is good for education, but it has negative effects for students attitudes towards reading for fun.

Aug 31, 2019
To be real, though, that also describes me: I used to read at least an hour every day, but with work
Oh yeah me too, complaining about this in some sense makes me a hypocrite. But, I read heaps when I was a kid, and it changed who I was, and I hate the idea that kids are being denied or moved away from that.

When they grow up and get a job and a mortgage they can mindlessly scroll through social media like the rest of us.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ive read so many anecdotes over the years on social media about people who stopped reading for fun and the things that most of them have in common has to do with testing. They come to associate books with tests. Or they will revisit a book later on in life, fall in love with it, and say "I probably would have loved this book back then if I hadn't had to analyze it according to my teacher's whims and take tests on it."

It's like how people will turn a beloved hobby into a job, and then come to hate the hobby.

Obviously, being analytical about stories is good for education, but it has negative effects for students attitudes towards reading for fun.

I get that, I'm asking what the alternative is to keep kids reading past a certain age? There are some times I needed to be kind of forced to read, whether by my parents (by taking away alternative methods of entertainment at times) or school. I can see incentivizing kids to read might instill in them a love of books they might not otherwise have. I also realize this might turn things into a chore, but I'm not sure what else would work better, because I still think if you leave them to their own devices, most kids won't read as much, or eat their vegetables.

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I've read to my child every single night of their life. The greatest joy is whenever I lose track of her only to find her 'reading' to herself alone in her room. Going to do whatever we can to cultivate and nurture this love. We're still only in picture book territory but I already have a list a mile long of longer books I can't wait to read to her, and eventually, with her.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Parents still read books to children before bed? That probably influenced me to read more.

Sabercrusader

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's a lot of factors for this, and it's super concerning and also disappointing. I credit my love of reading to a big driving force of my English understanding while I was in school. I don't read actual novels nearly as much now as I used to and I can notice a difference.

I'm really not sure the best way to fix it other than a strong push towards reading again from parents and schools.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I sure picked a great time to become a middle grade author, then lmao*

*lamenting my accursed occupation

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

See I'm the opposite, AR turned me into a hardcore reader. You benefit from challenging yourself because of the scoring system (I remember working up the nerve to take on a black dot book), and you also benefit from reading full series instead of a scattershot approach.

Ultimately I think this is tied to poor literacy rates in early education (see: Sold a Story). If 5-7 year old kids are bad readers, they're naturally going to fall off as they age because the books aimed at their age will also be too difficult to read for fun. Their options then are:
  • Keep reading books aimed at 5-7 year olds
  • Push through reading books for 8-10 year olds
  • Stop reading
Of course they'll pick the path of least resistance, especially since it's not like reading is the only thing they can do with their free time.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My 11 year old is currently on the Dragon Reborn (the 3rd book of the Wheel of Time series).

My 9 year old just finished Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

My 7 year old desperately wants to read the first Percy jackson book (he is trying), but is fairly content with Dragon Masters and the Dav Pilkey books he enjoys.

My wife is currently 11 books into her 42 books in a year challenge, currently reading The Mother-in-Law.

I am 85% through Court of Mist and Fury (Chapter 56) and hoping I can finish it before the book is due back to the library tomorrow evening. I should, I read 200 libby phone pages at lunch and I only have 150 ish of those pages left

All of this, and I wonder if I am reading enough to the 3 year old...

Reading begets more reading. I can only hope that we (my wife and I) can instill it in our kids to keep at it!

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I still remember in elementary and JH (maybe grade 7?) that we had dedicated blocks for reading after lunch. It would be a shame if this wasn't done in grade school anymore...

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I've seen this happen for sure even though my kid has been a big reader, it has still declined right in this age range. And there has also been a big correlation with this also been the exact time my kid started asking for her own phone. In second and third grade it seemed like the whole school was reading Harry Potter, I don't know if anything replaced it. My kid liked the Percy Jackson books but that died out too when the show came out.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is for sure worrying. My kid is still learning to read in general. I think it's going well overall and I hope the fact that I or my Wife read to her every night and she's so far pretty invested will help long term.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately I think this is tied to poor literacy rates in early education (see: Sold a Story). If 5-7 year old kids are bad readers, they're naturally going to fall off as they age because the books aimed at their age will also be too difficult to read for fun. Their options then are:

• Keep reading books aimed at 5-7 year olds
  • Push through reading books for 8-10 year olds
  • Stop reading
I thought that the previous threads about that were about not being able to read, as in physically not being able to sound out and pronounce words, not about actual literacy?

Jan 18, 2018
I rekindled (hehe) my love of reading last year and my daughter, who's always loved books, has started just looking at books for fun (she's just learning to read).

I feel like adults also barely read anymore and kids emulate parents and other influence so another layer is if you aren't reading that's another hit to it.

Gotta get them AR points.

The better you read and the higher your level the more complex books you had to read or you'd get a bad grade ( because my English class tied AR into our grades). Like, sometimes a dude just wanna read Hank the Cowdog.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Even as an adult every time I try to read fiction I get into the fucking make sure I think way too much about this paragraph, it might be on the essay later headspace even though there's no essay and it's supposed to be for leisure.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
This has been something I've noticed among fellow English teachers. They claim it takes too long to read a novel, so they just do excerpts from it to focus on skills. I think it's absolutely stupid, as it loses so much context and you can easily practice and incorporate skills in addition to analyzing novels. I include reading at least one novel per a quarter and still manage to hit all of the mandated skills standards. More often than not, students will find themselves eventually enjoying the novel because I've "forced" them to read it in class. But assigning reading homework, like I had in school? Good luck. Students refuse to read at home. Enforcing a summer reading program like I had in school? That's a non-starter from the beginning. So I have to do all of my reading IN CLASS, which certainly bogs down the pacing of the year way more than it should.

So what do you suggest for teachers to do? If I tell a student to read a book, more than likely they won't read it unless I give some sort of assessment to ensure that they read it. Frankly, I've found students' lack of interest in reading to be pure laziness because they won't even give books a chance that are in line with their interests. They see a book and see how thick it is -- even if it's a fairly short YA novel or something like Goosebumps or Animorphs -- and nope right out without trying. Students have told both my wife and I that books take too much time to read, so why bother? Even when I encourage listening to audiobooks or graphic novel adaptations, they refuse.

Schools need to do more to foster a love of reading in schools, but it's still a generational issue that is progressively getting worse.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
These poor kids don't know that the books always better than the adaptations.

I don't remember much testing in the lower grades when I was kid, just lots of pleasure reading, and my mother always read to me at bedtime and then had me read. I also loved the school library and would check out all the Tintin and Asterix books. I don't have any kids of my own so I can't imagine how hard it is to get little people to read for pleasure when you have a device constantly vying for your attention. I'm out of my depth here, but kids have phones at 9 now? jeeesus.

Nov 2, 2017

I was literally going to post here about the way Accelerated Reader obliterated my desire to read for pleasure. Different scenario though.

We did AR in 7th grade as a stand-alone Reading class. While most people tested at or below grade-level, as a developed reader I tested to a 10th grade reading level. This was a problem because the AR system limited you to reading only down 1 grade level below where you tested.

So the program for people at or below grade level was relatively easy, because Reading and English were separate classes and pretty much all your required reading in English was acceptable AR fodder, so you'd just keep up with your english class required reading and add one or two 100-ish page books a period and pass the AR tests and you're good.

Meanwhile, all the English class assignments are too low for me to get the benefit of the double dip, and the selection in our junior high library is super limited, and the ones they did have tended to run 300-400 pages and I needed to read at least two of these every six weeks. This meant I was reading difficult books that I had zero interest in just to keep my grade afloat, and meanwhile, the reading of adult-focused books that I was actually interested in and had been doing that led me to be above-grade-level as a reader in the first place had to mostly stop. I can basically pinpoint that my most voracious reading stopped at that stage, as when my time freed back up when we stopped Accelerated Reader, that time that shifted from pleasure reading to Reading For Your Grade didn't go back to reading for pleasure but got filled with band and other school activities.

On a side note, this whole system is also why the first time I read Lord of the Rings I actually read it out of order. Our library had it and it rang up at a high enough level that it qualified for me, but also, I was coming up on the deadline and someone had already checked out the library's copy of Fellowship of the Ring. So, not finding anything else that seemed half-interesting, I just picked up The Two Towers and started from there. I have no idea how I passed the AR test because I was confused as shit jumping in there with zero context.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It should not be surprising that it's the fault of the parents. So many parents are perfectly content to plop their young kids down in front of ipads by age 2, and of course that carries through as they get older. It's much more difficult to spend time with your kids, read with them and demonstrate the importance of reading and learning. Many parents don't care, or don't make time for it because it's fucking hard to put yourself second when you don't need to. My wife and I have busted our asses to make reading and education a priority early on and it's looking like it's paying off.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you suggest for teachers to do? If I tell a student to read a book, more than likely they won't read it unless I give some sort of assessment to ensure that they read it. Frankly, I've found students' lack of interest in reading to be pure laziness because they won't even give books a chance that are in line with their interests. They see a book and see how thick it is -- even if it's a fairly short YA novel or something like Goosebumps or Animorphs -- and nope right out without trying. Students have told both my wife and I that books take too much time to read, so why bother? Even when I encourage listening to audiobooks or graphic novel adaptations, they refuse.

Schools need to do more to foster a love of reading in schools, but it's still a generational issue that is progressively getting worse.
I dont know if theres anything that teachers can do. I feel like it would have to be something fostered at home, right? The parents would have to create a culture at home of enjoying reading as a form of entertainment, and not just text to be studied.

From the outside looking in, it doesnt even look like teachers would have the TIME to foster that kind of environment in class (and most students probably wouldnt take it seriously from a teacher).

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the previous threads about that were about not being able to read, as in physically not being able to sound out and pronounce words, not about actual literacy?

That's not my understanding of it. Kids legit aren't learning how to read as effectively as they used to, and that shows in the NAEP reports.

I wouldn't do anything in my free time that was super difficult for me either, at least not with any regularity.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Sustained silent reading was the shit, that's all I know. Like the one thing I liked about school.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I was literally going to post here about the way Accelerated Reader obliterated my desire to read for pleasure. Different scenario though.

We did AR in 7th grade as a stand-alone Reading class. While most people tested at or below grade-level, as a developed reader I tested to a 10th grade reading level. This was a problem because the AR system limited you to reading only down 1 grade level below where you tested.

So the program for people at or below grade level was relatively easy, because Reading and English were separate classes and pretty much all your required reading in English was acceptable AR fodder, so you'd just keep up with your english class required reading and add one or two 100-ish page books a period and pass the AR tests and you're good.

Meanwhile, all the English class assignments are too low for me to get the benefit of the double dip, and the selection in our junior high library is super limited, and the ones they did have tended to run 300-400 pages and I needed to read at least two of these every six weeks. This meant I was reading difficult books that I had zero interest in just to keep my grade afloat, and meanwhile, the reading of adult-focused books that I was actually interested in and had been doing that led me to be above-grade-level as a reader in the first place had to mostly stop. I can basically pinpoint that my most voracious reading stopped at that stage, as when my time freed back up when we stopped Accelerated Reader, that time that shifted from pleasure reading to Reading For Your Grade didn't go back to reading for pleasure but got filled with band and other school activities.

On a side note, this whole system is also why the first time I read Lord of the Rings I actually read it out of order. Our library had it and it rang up at a high enough level that it qualified for me, but also, I was coming up on the deadline and someone had already checked out the library's copy of Fellowship of the Ring. So, not finding anything else that seemed half-interesting, I just picked up The Two Towers and started from there. I have no idea how I passed the AR test because I was confused as shit jumping in there with zero context.

This seems really odd to me. If a kid is reading a few years above his grade level, let them read whatever they want, why limit you to what "counts" particularly if it counts towards a grade?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

As a counterpoint to that, I honestly was bummed out that we didn't have that kind of program after elementary school. Having the rewards was nice and obviously the big incentive, but it also meant that our school was encouraging us to read and was actively giving time for students to just...read. By fifth grade, a buddy and I were constantly being given time to just go to the library to pick out books and read them because, as long as it didn't cut into our learning, we were encouraged to read. That also ties into dedicated library time being a part of elementary school.

Middle school didn't really have anything like that, so reading had to be squeezed in whenever possible. By the time I got into high school, I had teachers actively fighting me on my reading, even when I demonstratively had finished all work and was just minding my own business while everyone else caught up. Given the time since then, I can only imagine the problem has gotten worse on its own and magnified by the distraction of devices.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I was always an extremely fast reader but never really enjoyed it. I found myself having to go back and reread certain things a few times. I assumed I was just reading too fast but I realized years later it is because I have aphantasia.

I always wanted to love reading but I pretty much gave up after middle school. Books can't transport me to another place and I can't get lost in them.

It will be interesting to see years from now if somehow the visual stimulation from all the screens somehow diminish the mind's eye in younger generations. Last I read it was like 3% of people have aphantasia in someway but a lot of people don't even realize it.