• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Gun violence complete with blood bursts, I'd guess. You'd get something with the same frequency of violence rated lower today, but you still couldn't show the hits like that.

It wasn't some bloodless Nolan movie.

Since they are killings the dudes in The Matrix aren't they killing them in their pods too? Those are just guards with a job with families in the matrix right? Pretty messed up when you think of it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Since they are killings the dudes in The Matrix aren't they killing them in their pods too? Those are just guards with a job with families in the matrix right? Pretty messed up when you think of it.
Yeah that's the way it works, but like they say in the movie, every person is potentially an agent so it's not like they can just knock people out, they'll just wake up as an agent.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it is. The justification is that they're essentially dead already and could turn into agents at any moment, but yes - any operation generally results in the loss of human life which the films very much gloss over.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Last time I watched it my big takeaway was that it had a lot more swearing than I remembered. Censors are especially weird about "goddamn" and that's probably the most frequently used swear in the movie.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I watched it recently and was surprised how mild it was compared to more recent movies. There is a lot of killing that might push it toward the upper end of PG-13, but it doesn't go near as far as other R-rated films do. It's practically a kid's movie compared to anything from Paul Verhoeven from just a few years prior.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
I only noticed this while watching the 4K version for the first time, but you can see Switch's nipples through her shirt

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
If it was released today, it would need only minor changes at most to easily secure a PG-13 rating. The American rating system is completely fucked right now, with PG-13 currently allowing scores of violence but very limited nudity and no more than a single f-word, the PG rating becoming the defacto kids rating, and G being rendered basically non-existent.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile... Rated PG for VIOLENT BLOODY DISMEMBERMENT.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because of that bug that crawls into Neo's belly button, which I still haven't gotten over 20 years later.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Colombine, Trenchcoats and gunplay.

I dont think it was rated R in Australia as I saw it while I was in high school

Films rated R in the US are almost invariably rated MA15+/M15+ here, depending on whether it's a "hard R" or the rating stemmed from some sort of weird technicality (e.g. the John Wick movies are MA15+ while The Matrix is M15+ across the board).

The US really needs its own MA15+ equivalent. Studios would no longer need to um and ah over aiming for an R rating versus losing out on most of the teenage audience.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If it was released today, it would need only minor changes at most to easily secure a PG-13 rating. The American rating system is completely fucked right now, with PG-13 currently allowing scores of violence but very limited nudity and no more than a single f-word, the PG rating becoming the defacto kids rating, and G being rendered basically non-existent.
It's really hard to justify nudity for plot reasons. I mean, you can maybe explain why you needed to show someone getting killed on screen but it's harder to explain why the audience had to see someone's junk. "Well, we feel his dick really moves the plot forward."

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was a pretty morally ambigous movie.

They were massacring people in that lobby who had no idea what was going on, basically innocent people just standing in the way of their objective without realizing it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm surprised it is considered borderline for some

Beyond what was already posted, how about the scene of the baby being nourished with liquefied dead people. Or the tracking parasite getting vacuumed out of Neo. There is some very disturbing material in the Matrix

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018

That scene with is mouth getting "glued" was scary as fuck the first time i saw it.

rsz_thematrix011.png

Oct 28, 2017
I think the one f-word thing for PG-13 has been increased to two. Several movies have gotten away with two in the past 5 or so years.

Edit- actually some movies have even more than two according to this post: https://m.imdb.com/list/ls075350723/

Edit 2- okay context is important too. good article here: https://www.polygon.com/2015/10/22/9592366/The-martian-rating-fuck

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
It was a 15 in the UK at release. I can remember me and my friends having to crack out the fake ID's to go see it.

Oct 27, 2017
As noted earlier, the bottom line reason is the MPAA is weird and inconsistent.

But overall it's got a fetish-y tone that probably set off their alarms.

I thought it was a weird rating back when it came out, though.