Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Something that I have never been able to understand is why some titles from Psygnosis like Wipeout or Destruction Derby had entries on Saturn and N64. I thought that maybe they were not owned by Sony yet, but it seems they were bought by them in 1993 or 1994. Is it known why they could release those titles and why they became true PS exclusive only since the PS2 era?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PlayStation was released in 1995, maybe Psygnosis signed the contract for the Saturn ports before that date or something

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, this is something that I've wondered about the couple of times I went down a WipEout/Psygnosis Wikipedia wormhole. I'm super curious too

It probably is something boring like contracts though

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Wikipedia says this:

Despite being owned by Sony, Psygnosis retained a degree of independence from its parent company during this period and continued to develop and publish titles for other platforms, including the Sega Saturnand the Nintendo 64. This caused friction between Psygnosis and Sony, and in 1996 Sony engaged SBC Warburg's services in finding a buyer for Psygnosis. However, though bids reportedly went as high as $300 million (more than ten times what Sony paid for the company just three years before), after six months Sony rescinded its decision to sell Psygnosis. Relations between the two companies had improved during this time, and Sony became reconciled to Psygnosis releasing games for competing platforms. Shortly after, Psygnosis took over distribution of its own titles, a task that Sony had been handling following the buyout

Oct 25, 2017
Sony owned Psygnosis, but until ~1999 did not require them to only develop for Sony platforms. As the Wikipedia article says there was some conflict between Sony and Psygnosis over this, but Psygnosis was allowed to be multi-platform until '99. At that point Sony started the process of getting rid of the Psygnosis name and replacing it with a fully internal team, SCE Liverpool. At that point in '99-'00 other format games were banned.

As a result of that, any N64 games they had in development were cancelled. One thing Wikipedia doesn't point out is that Psygnosis's last two PC games were affected by this as well -- Death Track Racing (aka Rollcage Stage II) and Lemmings Revolution were released in 2000, but by a third party (Take Two), not Psygnosis itself, because of Sony saying they weren't allowed to develop for non-Sony platforms anymore. And after that there were no more PC games from Psygnosis. Sad stuff, that's probably what killed the Lemmings franchise really.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Wikipedia says this:

Despite being owned by Sony, Psygnosis retained a degree of independence from its parent company during this period and continued to develop and publish titles for other platforms, including the Sega Saturnand the Nintendo 64. This caused friction between Psygnosis and Sony, and in 1996 Sony engaged SBC Warburg's services in finding a buyer for Psygnosis. However, though bids reportedly went as high as $300 million (more than ten times what Sony paid for the company just three years before), after six months Sony rescinded its decision to sell Psygnosis. Relations between the two companies had improved during this time, and Sony became reconciled to Psygnosis releasing games for competing platforms. Shortly after, Psygnosis took over distribution of its own titles, a task that Sony had been handling following the buyout

Maybe I read this and totally forgot šŸ˜…
Unless it's new.
I've definitely read Psygnosis' Wikipedia page a couple of times

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sony is a weirdly complicated company. Certain departments that even made Playstation games were often treated as a 3rd party dev, until some realignment some years ago.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Wikipedia says this:

Sony owned Psygnosis, but until ~1999 did not require them to only develop for Sony platforms. As the Wikipedia article says there was some conflict between Sony and Psygnosis over this, but Psygnosis was allowed to be multi-platform until '99. At that point Sony started the process of getting rid of the Psygnosis name and replacing it with a fully internal team, SCE Liverpool. At that point in '99-'00 other format games were banned.

As a result of that, any N64 games they had in development were cancelled. One thing Wikipedia doesn't point out is that Psygnosis's last two PC games were affected by this as well -- Death Track Racing (aka Rollcage Stage II) and Lemmings Revolution were released in 2000, but by a third party (Take Two), not Psygnosis itself, because of Sony saying they weren't allowed to develop for non-Sony platforms anymore. And after that there were no more PC games from Psygnosis. Sad stuff, that's probably what killed the Lemmings franchise really.
I'm pretty sure we saw new strategies/direction taking place within Sony as well and as time went on Sony prioritized the exclusive model.