• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
You'd think the response to Lady D would indicate to Capcom that they don't need to keep the female characters from aging, but alas.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
4R Ada's outfit is really something. It's completely impractical in a totally different way than the already completely impractical original look. No more evening gown BUT we do get thigh high stiletto boots I'm not sure what you'd wear for except maybe to go clubbing? Poor girl always seems to be pulled right out of social gatherings to go do spy bullshit. 💔

ponderer

Banned
Jun 3, 2022
I'm just gonna stay here because that thread feels like a men's whatsapp group.

Makes me so fucking sad that it's okay to make people feel uncomfortable on this forum, but if I go yell at the simps I'll get in trouble, my time here is coming to an end, the recent capcom thirst threads along with all the other hypocrite bullshit I see day in and day out has made that clear to me.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this forum can claim to be a welcoming place for all demographics when it so clearly cares more about not alienating its core constituency of straight men.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Makes me so fucking sad that it's okay to make people feel uncomfortable on this forum, but if I go yell at the simps I'll get in trouble, my time here is coming to an end, the recent capcom thirst threads along with all the other hypocrite bullshit I see day in and day out has made that clear to me.
I've always said that the boys club attitude in many threads was driving people away. It's exhausting having to explain and defend basic feminism any time it comes up, and I'm certain many people just quietly stop coming here as a result.

ponderer

Banned
Jun 3, 2022
User banned (permanent): Troll account
I've always said that the boys club attitude in many threads was driving people away. It's exhausting having to explain and defend basic feminism any time it comes up, and I'm certain many people just quietly stop coming here as a result.

As soon as I find a good discord to get my gaming news and discussion fix, I will happily walk away.

I have a strong impulse to lash out against oppression especially when I see it being ignored by leadership. After 4 years of watching resetera devolving back into where it came from, I get too intense for these people and their bodyguard mods so the ban is inevitable at this point.

edit: yes I know this message may get me banned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Ada's outfit was always unpractical so it's not too surprising to see they kept up the tradition in RE4R, although it is disappointing. And before anyone says it's a zombie game where weird things happen and practicality is not as important, all of the other characters (who happen to be men) are dressed appropriately. I played RE2R last week and seeing Ada run around in the highest of heels is so incredibly dumb.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ada's outfit was always unpractical so it's not too surprising to see they kept up the tradition in RE4R, although it is disappointing. And before anyone says it's a zombie game where weird things happen and practicality is not as important, all of the other characters (who happen to be men) are dressed appropriately. I played RE2R last week and seeing Ada run around in the highest of heels is so incredibly dumb.

Especially when you consider Ada is supposed to be extremely competent. What kind of competent spy would go into combat in the middle of nowhere wearing spike heels?

She's dressed like she's attending a fancy gala in a Bond movie, not infiltrating a hostile wilderness environment. It's embarrassing and it makes her look like an idiot.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Someone even made the "is not sexualized unless you make it" comment in a thread where most are horny posting

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As soon as I find a good discord to get my gaming news and discussion fix, I will happily walk away.

I have a strong impulse to lash out against oppression especially when I see it being ignored by leadership. After 4 years of watching resetera devolving back into where it came from, I get too intense for these people and their bodyguard mods so the ban is inevitable at this point.

edit: yes I know this message may get me banned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Will you stop with the mod-whining and attempts at self-martyrization? I guarantee you that mods are reading this only rolling their eyes. Just report the posts you think break the rules.

ponderer

Banned
Jun 3, 2022
Will you stop with the mod-whining and attempts at self-martyrization? I guarantee you that mods are reading this only rolling their eyes. Just report the posts you think break the rules.

Lmfao whatever, I don't give a fuck about myself

One look at this forum shows how effective reporting is, when you literally for years have people use reporting and complaining in this thread about the rest of the forum.

So funny how people always ignore the one's actually being hurt.

How many times have I mod-whined? Shit, baseless, poor, weak ass argument, Morrigan.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lmfao whatever, I don't give a fuck about myself
OK keep shitting up this thread about how you're gonna get banned for being such a brave warrior then, w/e

One look at this forum shows how effective reporting is, when you literally for years have people reporting and complaining in this thread.

So funny how people always ignore the one's actually being hurt.

How many times have a mod-whined? Shit argument.
It does work. The forum culture is way different now than it was back in 2018. You can't change the actual demographics all that much even if the needle did move, so you'll always get boys club behaviour to a certain extent, but trust me, it was way worse.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
The forum culture is way different now than it was back in 2018. You can't change the actual demographics all that much even if the needle did move, so you'll always get boys club behaviour to a certain extent, but trust me, it was way worse.
Not commenting on your conversation, but I was feeling that recently people have been getting a little more bold. Could be just concentrated threads over a short period of time but I feel like it is slightly worse than in recent memory. Im primarily comparing to KOFXV character reveals. Those characters were majorly sexualized, probably more so, but I don't recall drool anywhere near this degree.

Not saying its not better overall, I'm sure you would know more than most, but these threads are probably contributing to recency bias.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Awoga.png

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
OK keep shitting up this thread about how you're gonna get banned for being such a brave warrior then, w/e

It does work. The forum culture is way different now than it was back in 2018. You can't change the actual demographics all that much even if the needle did move, so you'll always get boys club behaviour to a certain extent, but trust me, it was way worse.

It's way worse now, imo.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
That Ada Wong thread is fucking crazy. It feels like we've had an alarming number of "let's ogle at these female characters" threads lately.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how ridiculous those heels look. I bailed from that Ada thread once I saw someone post "step on me".

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Not commenting on your conversation, but I was feeling that recently people have been getting a little more bold. Could be just concentrated threads over a short period of time but I feel like it is slightly worse than in recent memory. Im primarily comparing to KOFXV character reveals. Those characters were majorly sexualized, probably more so, but I don't recall drool anywhere near this degree.

Not saying its not better overall, I'm sure you would know more than most, but these threads are probably contributing to recency bias.

Could it be because KOF is a bit more niche? Capcom, whether it be Resident Evil or Street Fighter, has a bigger fanbase and thus will have more people with the potential to talk bout their respective games.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like since everyone got horny for Lady D pretty openly, including places and people who aren't usually that way, including some women in the industry I follow, posters here hide their hornienes less.

If a lot of people are excited for something like SF6 or R4 remake it also seems weirdly OK to be horny, not just here but also on Twitter. But my impressions are obviously selective.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I didn't care for Ada's outfits for her appearances across the Resident Evil series (her RE6 design is alright), and from what I've seen for ReMake 4, it's going to be more of the same.

But I agree with the notion that people (ironically or otherwise) are being too horny, here or elsewhere. Like, chill my doods.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like since everyone got horny for Lady D pretty openly, including places and people who aren't usually that way, including some women in the industry I follow, posters here hide their hornienes less.

If a lot of people are excited for something like SF6 or R4 remake it also seems weirdly OK to be horny, not just here but also on Twitter. But my impressions are obviously selective.
It tends to get amplified by "funny" people who are just memeing. Most of the people posting "step on me" jokes are not actually revealing a secret desire to be stepped on, they're just joining the chorus of shitposting that is the internet. The Twitter equivalent of watching a Twitch chat.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Could it be because KOF is a bit more niche? Capcom, whether it be Resident Evil or Street Fighter, has a bigger fanbase and thus will have more people with the potential to talk bout their respective games.
Certainly possible, hard to say because maybe someone who would post awooga would be less bold in a smaller community hence making it seem like they aren't there. But I think I'm not that inclined to think that someone who would do that has enough shame to be prevented.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I'm kind of conflicted. Ada Wong to me has always been like Lara Croft / Bayonetta: brazen and shamelessly over-the-top sexy with the most Mary Sue archetype shit you'eve ever seen - she's unrealistically untouchable, can overcome all odds, literally nothing can stop her, and is easily more competent than the male lead [Leon/Von Croy/Luka].

To me, an outfit being clearly sexualized (and her RE4Remake has got to be the most oversexualized she's ever worn, yes, even in comparison to RE4 og. More skin doesn't necessarily mean sexualized) will very rarely get a pass from me, like, I can count on one hand who I'm okay with being sexualized: Ada Wong, Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Chloe Frazer and Nina Williams. (i.e. Trish from DMC is a damsel in distress so her outfit being sexy doesn't sit right with me)

High heels and red dresses are part of Ada's signature look that's universally recognizable and deemed iconic by gamers all over and not just the RE fandom, I will say - the sexualized shots/camera angles are definitely eye-roll worthy, but I have decided that I'm okay with the design itself and I would dare to say I even embrace it. Now, I have my reasons why I do embrace it but if those AWOOGA wtf-ish people wanna embrace it for different reasons, all I can do is disapprove of their reactions but not the design itself as it resonates with me personally. I hope this makes sense and doesn't read as me regressing female design in video games

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Wooow y'all weren't kidding about the Ada thread.

Each page was increasingly becoming more uncomfortable.
And some of those posts, big "you feeeemales are the real sexists" energy.

At least the boys clubs rhetoric is being dealt with.

Feb 24, 2018
So question I have never understood, why are heels considered sexy?

This might be because I hate wearing heels and flat out refuse to wear, but I never got why heels in particular were the go to sexy shoes that a lot of people insist women must wear regardless of context.

As for Ada, Ada is a tough one because she's a lot like why I like Anna Williams a lot in that she is deliberately over the top four onwards (it's kind of hard to say if that was the intent in 2), owns her sexuality and is generally enjoyable character who works with the tone of 4. Now if it was like fighters and all the women in RE were treated like this I would have more of an issue.

But on the other hand, like I've said with Anna in more recent years their is a point where it can feel like it's just leery fan-service, juvenile, objectifying and where the sexualization doesn't make logical sense for the character; like camera posing or Anna's boob jiggle pose. This is part of why I could never could get into Bayonetta because it felt too much like that to be fun for me. We can't say how her personality is yet so we don't know if she also have the issue of flanderization where her sexualisation becomes more and more her character, losing her other elements that made her fun like Morrigan from DarkStalkers.

I don't think I'm making much sense.

Out of curiosity, how much do we know about the people working on the game, are the same artists who designed RE2&3R Claire and Jill still working on this game?

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City

This might be because I hate wearing heels and flat out refuse to wear, but I never got why heels in particular were the go to sexy shoes that a lot of people insist women must wear regardless of context.

As for Ada, Ada is a tough one because she's a lot like why I like Anna Williams a lot in that she is deliberately over the top four onwards (it's kind of hard to say if that was the intent in 2), owns her sexuality and is generally enjoyable character who works with the tone of 4. Now if it was like fighters and all the women in RE were treated like this I would have more of an issue.

But on the other hand, like I've said with Anna in more recent years their is a point where it can feel like it's just leery fan-service, juvenile, objectifying and where the sexualization doesn't make logical sense for the character; like camera posing or Anna's boob jiggle pose. We can't say how her personality is yet so we don't know if she also have the issue of flanderization where her sexualisation becomes more and more her character, losing her other elements that made her fun like Morrigan from DarkStalkers.

Out of curiosity, how much do we know about the people working on the game, are the same artists who designed RE2&3R Claire and Jill still working on this game?

The thing is, even in games where Ada has been with other great female designs, they go out of their way to make her over-the-top. For every ridiculous Ada design, there's a good [insert female character] design

RE4 OG:
Ada with the slit dress, Ashley with the inoffensive sweater/knee skirt/flat boots

RE:UC:
Ada's "damaged" outfit [revealing cleavage + burnt tights revealing thighs], Jill's Umbrella's End winter outfit

RE: Damnation:
Ada's push-up bra showing through her business dress, Svetlana's conservative green attire

RE6:
Ada's skin tight leather pants and cleavage/high heeled boots, Helena/Sherry federal agent-esque looks

RE:2:
Ada's cocktail dress, Claire's motorcycle look

RE:4:
Ada's skintight short dress and thigh high spikes, Ashley's great redesign

Capcom is intentionally making her designs stand out as sexy and impractical, and not to say I disagree with it, but the point I'm making is they know what they're doing even with great character designers on each team for each game

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I already know what reactions are everywhere. It's just that resetera.com is supposedly a "progressive" forum full of "allies". Seeing literal cat call posts stands out more.

I'd say it's a matter of...well, is this the right time and place for all of those reactions? Probably not. At the end of the day, it's not like people who are politically or socially progressive suddenly can't ever be horny or that it's sinful to do so...but maybe they should simply be more restrained and mindful about it in a discussion forum that is, well, ostensibly open to the public and trying to be inclusive. In other words, they shouldn't be shouting it from the rooftops and making others uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

I assumed heels emphasized the butt, but I'm no fashion expert.

But on the other hand, like I've said with Anna in more recent years their is a point where it can feel like it's just leery fan-service, juvenile, objectifying and where the sexualization doesn't make logical sense for the character; like camera posing or Anna's boob jiggle pose. This is part of why I could never could get into Bayonetta because it felt too much like that to be fun for me. We can't say how her personality is yet so we don't know if she also have the issue of flanderization where her sexualisation becomes more and more her character, losing her other elements that made her fun like Morrigan from DarkStalkers.

I think you're making plenty of sense, it's perfectly fair to have a line on what's too far. "Sexy" characters having all of their other personality/story traits downplayed over time is boring. If Anna returns in Tekken 8, I hope she's depicted in a way you're comfortable with.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with any fictional character that "owns their sexuality" is that, well, they're fictional characters. They have no agency of their own.

Now sure, the creator of the character can 100% intend for their creation to be aware of, and embrace, their sexuality. Unfortunately there's a lot of things that can fuck with that intent. The gameplay itself may alter it through animations, voice lines, hit effects, etc. I think the most common pitfall is when the game's camera turns a character meant to own their sexuality into just another object to be ogled by the player.

This goes for other explanations for character designs too. A character artist could explain the outfit of a character like Lily from SF6 by saying she's a child who has no real sense of anything other than her comfort when she's fighting. Okay, sure, I guess that makes sense. But then the person directing cutscenes moves the camera under her in slow motion during a special or victory or whatever and that sort of throws the intent clear out the window.

TL;DR: I'm never going to be ashamed of my words and deeds when I criticize an overly-sexualized character design.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I already know what reactions are everywhere. It's just that resetera.com is supposedly a "progressive" forum full of "allies". Seeing literal cat call posts stands out more.
ResetERA is an internet website that pretty much any human on the planet can make an account on (with a little effort). A thread having bad replies isn't really indicative of the quality of the community (unless they're from prominent members). It's more the moderator response that defines the culture of the community.