• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
There's no plan for an OT4, as the site was updated so the old page limit for threads no longer applies. But I will take these subtitles into consideration.
Not that this thread was on pace to hit the 20k mark anytime soon

I'm partial to the "where else is the camera supposed to go" one.
See, I like that one because it's multi-purpose for so many games

"where else would the camera go?" is just so appropriate for so many games lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of the new thread names is that the whole forum sees it and just asks if that is a real quote. Then getting shocked someone said it.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think sexualized fighting game designs would be more ok if there was diversity to the designs.

Like Mortal Kombat still has some women in sexy outfits but they also have plenty that are not. Also helps that many are great characters instead of one dimensional fan service.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm not in favor of quoting other users of the forum, especially as it invites cross-thread and cross-community drama. Admittedly, said thread is now ancient history by forum standards. But my point stands.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in favor of quoting other users of the forum, especially as it invites cross-thread and cross-community drama. Admittedly, said thread is now ancient history by forum standards. But my point stands.
Technically, the quote is a paraphrase of paraphrase, but yeah, that's an understandable point. Though the current thread title is direct quote from a user who even (good naturedly) acknowledge it in a post here (before deleting their account later on). So if that's the drawing line, we've been in violation from day one :x

Jun 2, 2019
I think sexualized fighting game designs would be more ok if there was diversity to the designs.

Like Mortal Kombat still has some women in sexy outfits but they also have plenty that are not. Also helps that many are great characters instead of one dimensional fan service.

I think this is the way.

Honestly, as a casual FG fan, it's off putting how fighting games are so prone to sexualize female characters to the point of normalization inside the genre, and that's without taking in account the standard set of stats for every female character (High speed, low strenght, low HP) It's even MORE off putting when every once in a while a series appears that actually doesn't fall into this (Guilty Gear started amazingly well with May, Baiken and Justice and even kept some standards through the X and XX era despite Dizzy and Jam) until it ultimately crashes and burns (as happened to GG once it entered the Xrd era)

The ideal thing would be to have exotic non sexualized designs, but having one or two sexualized characters would not be bad if they were part of a way more diverse cast.

I tend to prefer using female characters, and with most FG it's downright embarassing to do so.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Technically, the quote is a paraphrase of paraphrase, but yeah, that's an understandable point. Though the current thread title is direct quote from a user who even (good naturedly) acknowledge it in a post here (before deleting their account later on). So if that's the drawing line, we've been in violation from day one :x
We lucked out there as the user took it in good stride. Also I'm not setting a rule per se, just sharing my opinion on the matter. Admittedly, my opinion does hold greater weight.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Just stumble upon this legit frightening post about RE4R's Ashley new outfit. I can't believe that people like this actually exists.

FqkTRNCWwAMR2gA
FqkTSFgXwAEdJUV

It reads like a troll at first but you quickly realize that this chud is 100% serious

No no no no no no.

I refuse to believe this what actually written with a straight face. I mean, what the hell.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Where else would this guy experience the rare and novel woman personality trait of *checks notes* not liking to be blatantly perv'd on.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Only thing about Ashley's design I take issue with is the erasure of her big ass ears. They were pretty cute and I can't think of too many characters with large ears like that.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I don't comment often to give space for women and people who are more informed/ have more thoughtful takes on the topic to share there thoughts but I just want to thank everyone who post here for making this great thread.

Ive lurked this thread for years and it's helped me reexamine how I look at video game design and the impacts design decisions have on people and culture.

Years ago I never put any thoughts into the design of Women vs Men any games and didn't notice any difference.

The Strategic Butt cover Video from Feminist Frequency was a Major eye opening moment were I Started to actively notice design Tropes and start to think why decisions are Made and the impact of them. (Can't believe that video was 2017 wow time is moving)

Im sure other Men like me who used to be Ignorant have been helped by this thread weather verbalized or not. You just need a little spark to start thinking more critically about issues and I'm confident this thread was someone's first spark like that FF video was for me.

Theres lots of ways characters design and camera angles/framing impact how we think of them subtly or not. (I'm still mad at how Michael Bay treated Megan Fox's transformers character. She was the only competent likeable person in the movie yet the camera and characters kept sexing her up for no reason. Bay has a serious problem with women in his movies in general.)

Anyways long story short I read this thread all the time And I think y'all are all doing great.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Just stumble upon this legit frightening post about RE4R's Ashley new outfit. I can't believe that people like this actually exists.

FqkTRNCWwAMR2gA
FqkTSFgXwAEdJUV

It reads like a troll at first but you quickly realize that this chud is 100% serious

I would say that this is some kind of joke, but I saw a similar rant before for a different remake, might have been RE2 or RE3, so I know there are people who are 100% serious about any changes that reduce their ability to be horny on the female video game characters.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the way.

Honestly, as a casual FG fan, it's off putting how fighting games are so prone to sexualize female characters to the point of normalization inside the genre, and that's without taking in account the standard set of stats for every female character (High speed, low strenght, low HP) It's even MORE off putting when every once in a while a series appears that actually doesn't fall into this (Guilty Gear started amazingly well with May, Baiken and Justice and even kept some standards through the X and XX era despite Dizzy and Jam) until it ultimately crashes and burns (as happened to GG once it entered the Xrd era)

The ideal thing would be to have exotic non sexualized designs, but having one or two sexualized characters would not be bad if they were part of a way more diverse cast.

I tend to prefer using female characters, and with most FG it's downright embarassing to do so.
Regarding stats specifically, typically that isn't how they work in modern fighting games. High speed isn't reserved exclusively for female characters, definitely not the case of most of them having low strength/low damage output, and HP values can be either balanced relative to each character's specific gameplay advantages (as with everyone in SFV and GG Strive, resulting in characters like Cammy and Akuma in the former and Millia and Chipp in the latter being made of paper) or standardized across the cast regardless of whom the player picks (as with Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI).

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Regarding stats specifically, typically that isn't how they work in modern fighting games. High speed isn't reserved exclusively for female characters, definitely not the case of most of them having low strength/low damage output, and HP values can be either balanced relative to each character's specific gameplay advantages (as with everyone in SFV and GG Strive, resulting in characters like Cammy and Akuma in the former and Millia and Chipp in the latter being made of paper) or standardized across the cast regardless of whom the player picks (as with Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI).

You're right, in fact Guilty Gear itself already had a high speed low strenght character on Chipp Zanuff, i meant the trope as a whole, but it's also true that i'm kinda stuck in the past when it comes to FG.

My bad.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017

FqkTRNCWwAMR2gA
FqkTSFgXwAEdJUV

This is absolutely wild, how does someone get from point a) "I enjoy playing video games" to point b) "The sole reason to play games is to be horny!! GRRR!!!"

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the way.

I agree. I tend to call it the Catwoman problem.

Catwoman is a sexy femme fatale type character, and she's pretty great. The problem comes when the supposedly 'sexy' character stands next to your supposedly 'normal' characters and 99% of the time she's the most modest of the group. When g-strings and boob socks are standard attire how does one even stand out as 'sexy'?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So i think this can fit, so people noticed that for Resident Evil: Death Island Jill Valentine looked way younger for someone who should be in her forties

View: https://twitter.com/REBHPortal/status/1633989354942238720

So they went with "she had her aging slowed down" which for some reason also means wearing the same clothes she had 20 years ago too (complete with cleavage), a ridiculous excuse to not have an older female character

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider those movies canon, and I don't think the devs do either, but it's unfortunate regardless. I wouldn't mind that trope if it let Jill be Rose's mentor, but we can't have nice things.

I so want Sarah Connor Jill but alas.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
which for some reason also means wearing the same clothes she had 20 years ago too
I mean...no one look in my closet, lol.

I think the game story goes is she got got by Wesker in 2008 2006. She would've been about 33 31. The movie takes place in 2015, so she's about 40. (Edit: Whoops, should've checked first.)

I doubt they're trying to pull that she's been aging slowly since she got infected in 1998, because they didn't set that up in the games she appeared in after that at all. (Or maybe at 40, she's finally noticing that she hadn't really been aging, but that'd be a bit dumb.)

Didn't the same shit happen with Sherry? lol :S
I think I remember Umbrella's founder being all in on trying to get eternal life or some nonsense. So, I guess if they had always been "neutrally" applying that getting infected slows your aging, I could see it. The regeneration would basically make you Wolverine. But the list of people that got infected (and are still alive in-universe any number of years later) is pretty low.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how the same virus that decays your flesh & gives you an insatiable craving for brains, can also give you wrinkle free skin & perky breasts. Kinda makes you wonder why Wesker was so dead set on the zombie plan when he could've been making billions in the cosmetic industry.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how the same virus that decays your flesh & gives you an insatiable craving for brains, can also give you wrinkle free skin & perky breasts. Kinda makes you wonder why Wesker was so dead set on the zombie plan when he could've been making billions in the cosmetic industry.

Viruses are magic...

RE6s version can create literal magic...no explanation.

These creatures?

latest

The snake that's 100 feet long and can turn invisible? used to be a single human guy

latest

The 100 foot tall giants? also just a single human guy

d16e0c8ad6c84e9a47d4b82634ff2f3a.png

The 500 foot shark? yep also a single guy

latest

The Zombie with a fully functioning organic chainsaw hand and built in heels? also just a guy

latest

The living colony of wasps that form a sexy female figure with a queen at the center, aslo literally just a regular GUY. (on of chris's male squadmates get's turned into sexy bee monster lady thing)

Not to mention the entire plot of RE6 and Incel Colonel Sanders having the hots for Ada wong, getting refused by her and his response was using viruses to turn people into copies of Ada wong against their will so he could have his own Ada Wong.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Viruses are magic...

RE6s version can create literal magic...no explanation.

These creatures?

latest

The snake that's 100 feet long and can turn invisible? used to be a single human guy

latest

The 100 foot tall giants? also just a single human guy

d16e0c8ad6c84e9a47d4b82634ff2f3a.png

The 500 foot shark? yep also a single guy

latest

The Zombie with a fully functioning organic chainsaw hand and built in heels? also just a guy

latest

The living colony of wasps that form a sexy female figure with a queen at the center, aslo literally just a regular GUY. (on of chris's male squadmates get's turned into sexy bee monster lady thing)

Not to mention the entire plot of RE6 and Incel Colonel Sanders having the hots for Ada wong, getting refused by her and his response was using viruses to turn people into copies of Ada wong against their will so he could have his own Ada Wong.
Notice that in every one of those example the magic virus turns them into hideous monsters. As soon as it touches Jill though, it turns her into an eternal hottie. How convenient.

Feb 24, 2018
Notice that in every one of those example the magic virus turns them into hideous monsters. As soon as it touches Jill though, it turns her into an eternal hottie. How convenient.
Even with the other time they did something like this with Alexia Ashford, she ended up looking at least a BIT monstrous (though she gets more so in later forms)
latest

And it just contradicts itself like why did the same not happen with Lisa Trevor from RE1R?

Aug 26, 2018
日本
While the viruses in RE are pretty bullshit (lol RE6), they did do some basic narrative backstopping to explain the non-zombified infected.
  • Lisa Trevor: Infected with the Progenitor virus (and later proto-Nemesis parasites) and who knows what else and all but kept locked in a basement.
  • Albert Wesker: Infects himself with an "experimental" virus and then later killed, which apparently activated it, turning him into Neo for some reason.
  • Jill Valentine: Infected with the T-virus, but soon given anti-virals before things progress too far. Later severely injured in a fall and kidnapped by Wesker in 2006. The T-virus activates again while she's in a coma but her body is able to create antibodies for it.
  • Sherry Birkin: Infected with the G-virus, but soon given anti-virals before things progress too far. Develops regenerative powers afterward. Her blood is later used to engineer the C-virus (lol RE6).
  • Alexia Ashford: Infects herself with the T-Veronica virus. Goes into stasis for years to "bond" with it so she doesn't end up like her father...whom she experimented on with the same virus and it did not go well.
  • Steve Burnside: Infected with the T-Veronica virus. Does...not go well. Albert Wesker alludes that maybe he could be revived like he was, but he makes no more appearances.
  • Alex Wesker: Infected with the same virus as Albert Wesker, but doesn't get Matrix powers due to having a degenerative disease. The virus basically kept her alive, though.
  • Natalia Korda: Infected with the T-Phobos virus, which activates based on fear. Due to having deadened emotions due to trauma, it doesn't fully activate in her. Can basically sense other infected people.
  • Jake Muller: Son of Albert Wesker. Basically immune to all the viruses.
  • Eveline: A test-tube baby and the originator of "mold." Can control anyone infected with it. Suffers from rapid aging.
  • Zoe Baker: Infected with mold and later cured. Aftereffects unknown.
  • Mia Winters: Infected with mold and later cured. Aftereffects unknown.
  • Ethan Winters: Is basically mold.
  • Rose Winters: Is basically mold.
Basically the characters are either super-special, or went through very specific circumstances/got half-cured.

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
So i think this can fit, so people noticed that for Resident Evil: Death Island Jill Valentine looked way younger for someone who should be in her forties

So they went with "she had her aging slowed down" which for some reason also means wearing the same clothes she had 20 years ago too (complete with cleavage), a ridiculous excuse to not have an older female character

I still have my Gameinformer with the RE3R cover on my table end as just kind of a coffee table decoration type thing and definitely noticed the.....'subtle' changes they made to what's essentially the exact same Jill model when screens of the movie were first shown.

People were just excited to finally have Jill in one of these, coupled with not wanting to get hit with a "you're the real perv for noticing" that I just kinda didn't bother trying to bring it up in the trailer threads or what not. Glad to see it finally get brought up here, as the CG movies are such a blip that I had since forgotten about them until this bump reminded me of it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

What baffles me is that they pretty much just reused her design from RE3 remake. Same face and the same clothes she had on in 1998. Did they not have a character designer on-hand to give Jill a new design and outfit for this movie like they did for Leon and Chris? It can't possibly the same in-game model from RE3R which would have least explained it away with laziness or a budget shortage.
While the viruses in RE are pretty bullshit (lol RE6), they did do some basic narrative backstopping to explain the non-zombified infected.
  • Lisa Trevor: Infected with the Progenitor virus (and later proto-Nemesis parasites) and who knows what else and all but kept locked in a basement.
  • Albert Wesker: Infects himself with an "experimental" virus and then later killed, which apparently activated it, turning him into Neo for some reason.
  • Jill Valentine: Infected with the T-virus, but soon given anti-virals before things progress too far. Later severely injured in a fall and kidnapped by Wesker in 2006. The T-virus activates again while she's in a coma but her body is able to create antibodies for it.
  • Sherry Birkin: Infected with the G-virus, but soon given anti-virals before things progress too far. Develops regenerative powers afterward. Her blood is later used to engineer the C-virus (lol RE6).
  • Alexia Ashford: Infects herself with the T-Veronica virus. Goes into stasis for years to "bond" with it so she doesn't end up like her father...whom she experimented on with the same virus and it did not go well.
  • Steve Burnside: Infected with the T-Veronica virus. Does...not go well. Albert Wesker alludes that maybe he could be revived like he was, but he makes no more appearances.
  • Alex Wesker: Infected with the same virus as Albert Wesker, but doesn't get Matrix powers due to having a degenerative disease. The virus basically kept her alive, though.
  • Natalia Korda: Infected with the T-Phobos virus, which activates based on fear. Due to having deadened emotions due to trauma, it doesn't fully activate in her. Can basically sense other infected people.
  • Jake Muller: Son of Albert Wesker. Basically immune to all the viruses.
  • Eveline: A test-tube baby and the originator of "mold." Can control anyone infected with it. Suffers from rapid aging.
  • Zoe Baker: Infected with mold and later cured. Aftereffects unknown.
  • Mia Winters: Infected with mold and later cured. Aftereffects unknown.
  • Ethan Winters: Is basically mold.
  • Rose Winters: Is basically mold.
Basically the characters are either super-special, or went through very specific circumstances/got half-cured.
I think Sherry was, like, a genetic match or something because it was her dad that infected her, but the point stands that Resident Evil's female characters are on some Logan's Run shit. Narratively I think the only exception is Ada who hasn't been touched by any virus or anything and is at least as old as Leon.

It's disappointing too because Resident Evil is one of the only long-running game franchises like this that doesn't use a sliding timeline and where the characters all supposedly age in real-time.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
What baffles me is that they pretty much just reused her design from RE3 remake. Same face and the same clothes she had on in 1998. Did they not have a character designer on-hand to give Jill a new design and outfit for this movie like they did for Leon and Chris? It can't possibly the same in-game model from RE3R which would have least explained it away with laziness or a budget shortage.

I think Sherry was, like, a genetic match or something because it was her dad that infected her, but the point stands that Resident Evil's female characters are on some Logan's Run shit. Narratively I think the only exception is Ada who hasn't been touched by any virus or anything and is at least as old as Leon.

It's disappointing too because Resident Evil is one of the only long-running game franchises like this that doesn't use a sliding timeline and where the characters all supposedly age in real-time.
Claire has definitely been aging, as seen in Rev2. Also, I think Sherry is aging normally; she's just got the super-healing properties. Also Rebecca, though she's only reappeared in one of the movies, so that's fair to have forgotten.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't the same shit happen with Sherry? lol :S
Sherry looks her age, she's 26 in RE6.
cc4eca707aa8ea7aeae14dea23f5f233.jpg

The real issue with Sherry in RE6 is that she's needlessly sexualized. Right down to her callback outfit literally being a kid sized schoolgirl outfit since you know, nothing strange about reminding us that we first rescued her when she was 12. Oh and that business at the hospital.
DA0A74923657E59BDDDDFD4654AFD070700EB04B

D2bRYE5W0AAI-sa.jpg

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

The real issue with Sherry in RE6 is that she's needlessly sexualized. Right down to her callback outfit literally being a kid sized schoolgirl outfit since you know, nothing strange about reminding us that we first rescued her when she was 12. Oh and that business at the hospital.

D2bRYE5W0AAI-sa.jpg
Officially, as per canon info about her she "stopped aging" after a certain point. She's meant to look like 18 or somesuch. It's one of those things where Resident Evil gets kinda... skeevy.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Even when they do the never ages thing with dudes, they still look like grizzled war veterans half the time.

Can't get rid of the pretty/sexy. How would you know they were women otherwise! (every male developer ever)

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even when they do the never ages thing with dudes, they still look like grizzled war veterans half the time.

Can't get rid of the pretty/sexy. How would you know they were women otherwise! (every male developer ever)

Can't possibly correlate a woman's attractiveness with anything other than childlike characteristics either.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

D2bRYE5W0AAI-sa.jpg

Woah, those costumes are as bad as mods in recent RE games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly no, because these exist:

2bd754649b25632529f7de5391bc4410.jpg

Racist and sexist. Double whammy.
A reminder that our introduction to Sheva isn't her face, it's instead a close up of her butt. Before RE7 Capcom was getting weirder and weirder about women in their games. Thankfully they've done a 180 since 7, Lady D notwithstanding. Granted, I don't think they expected that reaction at all.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that our introduction to Sheva isn't her face, it's instead a close up of her butt. Before RE7 Capcom was getting weirder and weirder about women in their games. Thankfully they've done a 180 since 7, Lady D notwithstanding. Granted, I don't think they expected that reaction at all.
D and the other girls I think were made earnestly and not with fanservice specifically in mind.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What's happened to Resident Evil in recent years is honestly one of the best arguments for remasters as long as the main teams behind modern successors are involved with them.

RE started as a Japanese take on American B-movie horror, but each game became slightly more action-oriented than the last one. The gradual creep over the course of 20-odd years meant Capcom likely hadn't realized how far newer games like Resident Evil 6 or Revelations had drifted from the PS1 games until they started working on the remasters for Resident Evil 0 and the Resident Evil 1 remakes. Some Capcom folks admitted that replaying those games and rebuilding them taught them how the older RE games worked, and they brought that knowledge into RE7 and the RE2 remake.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's a spoiler if you don't want to see, but the new Ada design is something. Feels possibly more sexualized than before.