• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
What are yall's thoughts on the "Bayonetta and the Lost Demon" game?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQhcuQi1tdI&ab_channel=IGN

All the staunch, and diehard fans of the series have had nothing but derision and shit talk to say about this game. I hear nothing but "it shouldnt be a $60 dollar game" "Why the fuck do I want to play a story game about bayonetta" and two to three hour long diatribes about why this game shouldnt exist.

But apparently it's reviewing well and people liking it to "this years Kirby".

personally, as a huge bayonetta fan that was somewhat dissapointed by 3, I think this is the best medicine for the series. It seems to do relatively well without all the fanservice and flair but also seems to keep what the character is about without losing anything.

Instead of a sexy stripper, she's dressed in a gothic ballerina outfit that fits with theme and she does classical balet to cast her magic instead of getting naked and pole dancing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the staunch, and diehard fans of the series have had nothing but derision and shit talk to say about this game. I hear nothing but "it shouldnt be a $60 dollar game" "Why the fuck do I want to play a story game about bayonetta" and two to three hour long diatribes about why this game shouldnt exist.
This seems exaggerated and inflammatory on purpose

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
You can look at the announcement thread, and a majority of posts mirrored the same sentiment.

before the game came out, I scarcely saw a positive comment.
I mean, no duh?

it came after the pretty polarizing Bayonetta 3 and is way different than the character action games that bayonetta was

of course fans wouldn't be too keen on it in it's first showing

Yakuza: Like a dragon got the same reaction when it was revealed but fans warmed up to it. Let's see if Cereza and the lost demon does the same

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the GrimGrimore demo...

and damn...

vanillaware-grimgrimoire.gif

LoboRundas

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Vanillaware, saw someone mention this game in the Steam Spring Sale thread as, "the closest thing to Vanillaware as it gets on Steam".

And yep, it sure looks the part. Warts and all.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/598700/The_Vagrant/
ss_9fa37d5cf0c67fa305dc9105c937311705cd4308.1920x1080.jpg

ss_16e5252dafa3a53aa5134134d717769024923730.1920x1080.jpg

ss_db02d6acd1ed09fba633b4c3e8c8b3c55c2f178c.1920x1080.jpg

The thing I don't like the most about the game is how they actually made an alternative outfit that covers the protagonist up more (and is pretty cool and optional), but it's only present on the Nintendo Switch version and they never patched it into the Steam/PC one.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjgZy308KKQ

Play as a puritan man that hunts down women evil witches. and even have a titty monster at the end of the trailer.

and the song/lullaby is going on about how men are pure and good, and women are evil and will corrupt men. All the red flags.

First off, I love that we are now getting clones of Bloodborne clones. Even the giant letter in red and stylized from the others is right from Lies of P.

Second, Solomon Kane is like the most ick of Robert Howard's books. This puritanss wordsman shit is ripped right from that and it's just as weird and cringe.

Jun 2, 2019

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was looking at Parasite Eve artwork tonight and got struck by how...like... *not * hot* this is 😂

Her tonguing the one side of her mouth to lick the gun barrel looks so weird lol (try it yourself!)

JG7ApVPBnKwXDHepn3jf4-415-80.png

36624.jpg

I also did a double take on this one....I didn't realize she was sitting on a barstool this whole time, I thought it was just a normal sit (like the Demi-Fiend here).... so she's just lifting her leg to lean on it, while the leg leans on air...🍃
Who sits like this?? lol 😅 (again, try it yourself!)
pe1.jpg

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That Parasite Eve artwork is actually even more messed up in context if you've played all three games

That's actually the 4 year old Eve who is weirdly licking the gun

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
The first Parasite Eve game definitely has some moments that aged poorly (the game was released in the late 90s), but the two later games completely go off the rails. I still can't bring myself to play The 3rd Birthday, between the "actually Aya is a child" stuff and the clothes getting torn off on taking damage and the shower scene. It's bad.

Last edited:

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh the 3rd birthday. The real Aya deserves her moment after that damn game.
latest

But I don't think it's possible, unless it's a remake of the first game. And even then...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The developers of an old-school shooter I've been keenly anticipating have just revealed the early access release date, and along with it a new piece of key-art that includes the until-now unseen protagonist:

supplicegddw9.png

You can probably imagine how the comments on the Steam post went.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The developers of an old-school shooter I've been keenly anticipating have just revealed the early access release date, and along with it a new piece of key-art that includes the until-now unseen protagonist:

supplicegddw9.png

Oh no it's even dumber, you see all the outrage is because the protag is not the same one as this image that was posted like 5 years ago

View: https://twitter.com/CagesCorner/status/828726977741873152

Literally all that bigoted shit just for a single image from 5 years ago that literally no one saw, the most stupid was the one who acted that this was the same as if "Marvel changed Black Pather to a white man" (??????)

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

supplicegddw9.png

It's just the same five racists in the comments raging for three pages and when someone challenges them, they deny they were offended because of some illustration years ago. Sadly, the old school shooter is a ripe scene for bigotry, and just invites boomer mentality for "boomer shooters". Same for HEMA or historical strategy games.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh no it's even dumber, you see all the outrage is because the protag is not the same one as this image that was posted like 5 years ago

View: https://twitter.com/CagesCorner/status/828726977741873152

Literally all that bigoted shit just for a single image from 5 years ago that literally no one saw, the most stupid was the one who acted that this was the same as if "Marvel changed Black Pather to a white man" (??????)

It's just the same five racists in the comments raging for three pages and when someone challenges them, they deny they were offended because of some illustration years ago. Sadly, the old school shooter is a ripe scene for bigotry, and just invites boomer mentality for "boomer shooters". Same for HEMA or historical strategy games.

The old illustration definitely seems to be being used as cover. "We're not angry because she's black, it's just because you changed her!" Yeah, sure.

It warms my heart to know that even the old-school FPS scene is becoming inhospitable to these chuds.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The old illustration definitely seems to be being used as cover. "We're not angry because she's black, it's just because you changed her!" Yeah, sure.

It warms my heart to know that even the old-school FPS scene is becoming inhospitable to these chuds.
I reported those posts, let's see if they ban more than that one racist.

It's the most thin skinned snowflake shit lol

"I'm going to avoid this game now, it's all political and woke"

Go ahead, out yourself for the whole world to see. Join a Nazi rally but run away when counter protestors outsize you by many times.

Aug 29, 2020
So, Tekken 8 trailers for Jun and Xiaoyu were released. The outfit designs are actually quite nice I think, and I didn't notice any leery camerawork either, but the thing that stands out is how the female characters' faces look very smooth and unexpressive compared to the male characters. It kind of feels like they're deliberately not utilizing the new tech they have to keep the women as pretty and perfect as possible. This has sparked some controversy on the game's reddit etc, with the opposing arguments basically boiling down to "who cares" or "you want the women to look like ugly grannies?". The usual. Still, I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people talking about it. Maybe it's a sign of attitudes shifting. Slowly.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So, Tekken 8 trailers for Jun and Xiaoyu were released. The outfit designs are actually quite nice I think, and I didn't notice any leery camerawork either, but the thing that stands out is how the female characters' faces look very smooth and unexpressive compared to the male characters. It kind of feels like they're deliberately not utilizing the new tech they have to keep the women as pretty and perfect as possible. This has sparked some controversy on the game's reddit etc, with the opposing arguments basically boiling down to "who cares" or "you want the women to look like ugly grannies?". The usual. Still, I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people talking about it. Maybe it's a sign of attitudes shifting. Slowly.
It's a valid point that user was making. A lot of sexism there unsurprisingly but thankfully the sexist or dismissive comments have been down voted in that original thread.

qsr9zUo_d.webp

pjOgiMw_d.webp

68fqZrx_d.webp

Uv93kQJ_d.webp

E6t6NCP_d.webp

LKGv2rt_d.webp

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
It's a valid point that user was making. A lot of sexism there unsurprisingly but thankfully the sexist or dismissive comments have been down voted in that original thread.

Woo boy name a more iconic duo Reddit x Thoughts on Women. I feel like even the most miquetoast comment is always marked "controversial." Also, reasons I quit the P5 sub.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I've only been paying close attention to the renders, and Jun seems to have the most pronounced "doll effect." Xiaoyu and Nina seem to fare slightly better in terms of having more realistic faces.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not totally applicable to the thread specifically, but Ashley once again not being playable in Mercenaries is just so lame. There's no actual reason for it. It just seems treating her as like "too feminine" to play as or something.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Not totally applicable to the thread specifically, but Ashley once again not being playable in Mercenaries is just so lame. There's no actual reason for it. It just seems treating her as like "too feminine" to play as or something.

I'm convinced this is the reason why she's not playable.

I've seen videos of people using a bug to buy Ashley a weapon and it really made me wish we could have her in Mercenary.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Not having Ada playable at all from the start is even stranger as she was already playable in the OG Mercs.

But yeah no Ashley is a missed opportunity.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking at Parasite Eve artwork tonight and got struck by how...like... *not * hot* this is 😂

She needs to be liberated (heh) from what seems to be Square Enix's own ability to figure out how to do right by her and Parasite Eve generally.

But since the topic of Tetsuya Nomura Having A Moment PE art came up, what about the one where she's fully naked but all her scandalous bits are covered in a *checks notes* thick layer of blood. It's not uncomfortable enough to come across as him having a go at the interplay of sex and horror, so it's all just kind of a bit of a headscratcher.

txVMXG1.png

Babe, you got a bit of ketchup on your, um... everything.

It's a prime example of chronic misremembering and misinterpreting, the old Parasite Eve, because I've been watching VoidBurger stream it and it's fine? She hasn't gotten to the later parts of the game yet, so there's still time for something I don't remember to appear, but it seems like at least most of the more leering aspects of the series' reputation are external to the game itself (Aya having a default state of tits out in Nomura's illustrations), or integrated later on (a little bit in PE2/a hell of a lot in T3B).

I imagine a Parasite Eve remake a lot... Foolish as it is, I live in hope of something I know will never happen. Not necessarily a remake specifically, but the way I picture it. It's nice to dream...