• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 26, 2018
日本

View: https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1395611923316572162

But I mean...we can make it work. I've been convinced, lol.
Resident-Evil-4---2nd-Trailer-1-0-screenshot.png

She can bust out the candelabra for melee attacks.

Mayhem mode trigger, she turns into possessed form and pulls out Leon's knife and gun from hammer space.

View: https://twitter.com/RuleTimeSpace/status/1628931757545508865

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure anyone is expecting lore realism from a multiplayer side game. Ashley could shoot literal ballistics for all that it matters.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Look, they can make anything work with enough willpower and creativity, including giving Ashley a tank (or the wrecking ball). But I'd have to disagree on the making the premise that they don't have her playable in Mercenaries because they're afraid of making her less feminine or something, as opposed to the Occam's Razor of her just being a non-combatant.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you count Mercs as some entirely alternate reality, it'd be fine to have Ashley the murder machine, but my first instinct on hearing that idea is that if she's capable enough to be in the mercs mode, why the fuck isn't she more useful in the story?

Feb 24, 2018
So I don't know whether to post this here, the trans/NB OT, the manga/anime sexualization thread etc since it's about a game franchise but the Digimon in question was created for an anime spinoff of it. Going to post it here.

There is a sexualization of a certain Digimon that has always bugged and it's not even an issue with games themselves most of the time (except their Ultimate form Sakuyamon which sadly often got used for eye candy) but the fandom similar to Gardevoir in Pokémon, Renamon
Renamon.jpg

Part of it is that unlike most sexualized Digimon who are adult level and above, Renamon is a child level Digimon which always made that part of her fandom very creepy to me but also that it erases what Renamon is intended to represent and since it doesn't seem well known and given the recent horrid attacks on trans people in the UK and my own anger, I want to bring it up.

Renamon in Digimon has often been used to represent trans and non-binary identity. The original Renamon from tamers explicitly DOESN'T use gendered pronouns instead using watashi and explicitly doesn't care about the concept of gender at all when asked (sadly because of it being an early 00s dub, most of this was ignored in english dub). The only time they do use gendered pronouns is when they're fused with their human partner (she)

The Frontier Renamon also doesn't use gender pronouns, has a male voice actor and evolves into Lilithmon and the Renamon in the Digimon Survive game, even after evolving into Sakuyamon uses male pronouns to describe themselves and says he feels most comfortable being addressed with male pronouns.

Sadly though, it's hard to discuss Renamon anymore without being going into the "horny jail" crap due to their fanbase who completely ignore or denying this aspect of their species in order to sexualize them in stereotypical "waifu" fashion.

Sorry, just needed to vent there.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020
It's a prime example of chronic misremembering and misinterpreting, the old Parasite Eve, because I've been watching VoidBurger stream it and it's fine? She hasn't gotten to the later parts of the game yet, so there's still time for something I don't remember to appear, but it seems like at least most of the more leering aspects of the series' reputation are external to the game itself (Aya having a default state of tits out in Nomura's illustrations), or integrated later on (a little bit in PE2/a hell of a lot in T3B).

I imagine a Parasite Eve remake a lot... Foolish as it is, I live in hope of something I know will never happen. Not necessarily a remake specifically, but the way I picture it. It's nice to dream...
I didn't play PE2 yet and 3rd Birthday is an obvious mess, but PE1 really is remarkably proper when it comes to Aya's presentation. When I first played it, I was surprised to see her change into such a normal outfit after the intro sequence, since I'd mostly seen the black dress in promo materials (even the dress isn't bad in context, but would be silly as a main outfit). All the fanservicey stuff really is in those Nomura arts, which is sort of interesting since Nomura usually doesn't lean too hard into that.

I like to hope that the success of RE remakes could compel Square Enix to do something similar-ish with Parasite Eve, but we'll see. There might be too much licensing issues with the IP.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
So I don't know whether to post this here, the trans/NB OT, the manga/anime sexualization thread etc since it's about a game franchise but the Digimon in question was created for an anime spinoff of it. Going to post it here.

There is a sexualization of a certain Digimon that has always bugged and it's not even an issue with games themselves most of the time (except their Ultimate form Sakuyamon which sadly often got used for eye candy) but the fandom similar to Gardevoir in Pokémon, Renamon
Renamon.jpg

Part of it is that unlike most sexualized Digimon who are adult level and above, Renamon is a child level Digimon which always made that part of her fandom very creepy to me but also that it erases what Renamon is intended to represent and since it doesn't seem well known and given the recent horrid attacks on trans people in the UK and my own anger, I want to bring it up.

Renamon in Digimon has often been used to represent trans and non-binary identity. The original Renamon from tamers explicitly DOESN'T use gendered pronouns instead using watashi and explicitly doesn't care about the concept of gender at all when asked (sadly because of it being an early 00s dub, most of this was ignored in english dub). The only time they do use gendered pronouns is when they're fused with their human partner (she)

The Frontier Renamon also doesn't use gender pronouns, has a male voice actor and evolves into Lilithmon and the Renamon in the Digimon Survive game, even after evolving into Sakuyamon uses male pronouns to describe themselves and says he feels most comfortable being addressed with male pronouns.

Sadly though, it's hard to discuss Renamon anymore without being going into the "horny jail" crap due to their fanbase who completely ignore or denying this aspect of their species in order to sexualize them in stereotypical "waifu" fashion.

That's actually really cool; didn't know any of that. Always thought Renamon was badass, though. And now they are, in more ways than one!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you count Mercs as some entirely alternate reality, it'd be fine to have Ashley the murder machine, but my first instinct on hearing that idea is that if she's capable enough to be in the mercs mode, why the fuck isn't she more useful in the story?
"If you can play as Peach in Smash Bros, why doesn't she save herself in Super Mario Bros?"

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Renamon.jpg

Growing up with the Tamers English dub, I had it ingrained in me that Renamon is an inherently girl/woman coded Digimon. Really threw me off when I saw one depicted as a guy in Cyber Sleuth, I think, and then of course transmasc coded in Digimon Survive. Of course, now I can see that Renamon is a walking non-binary pride flag. 🤣 Digimon is very much like Pokemon in that "man = default" except when the design is heavily coded as feminine, though except even then a pokemon like Gardevoir can be male.

But yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to the creepy sexualization. I've seen some very cursed shit I wish I had never seen.

Quiggling

Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
Yeah I don't get it either. Like why does this matter at all? If anything it just highlights the kind of people they are when they make those comments.

I'm still scratching my head at FF7 Remake Tifa and that controvery. Have they never seen a woman with a large bust doing any physical activity? They are just mad Luis doesn't make a dorky awkward incel joke they can relate with.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still scratching my head at FF7 Remake Tifa and that controvery. Have they never seen a woman with a large bust doing any physical activity? They are just mad Luis doesn't make a dorky awkward incel joke they can relate with.
Oh god, I remember that...that was a nightmare to endure!

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love Ashley to make a playable debut in RE 9 or such, having taken Leon's example to heart and really going all in on being able to defend herself.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love Ashley to make a playable debut in RE 9 or such, having taken Leon's example to heart and really going all in on being able to defend herself.
I'd be down for RE "girls edition" with Jill, Claire, Ada, Rebecca, Sherry and Ashley running around suplexing and round house kicking zombies. Shit have Sheva, Helena return and get Hunnigan out of her office to join in on the fun and it's an insta buy.

Quiggling

Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
Hunnigan! Lol, almost twenty years now of having that one line after Leon wakes up in that cabin. There was just always something about the way the line was delivered. "Bad question Hunnigan" I've said that under my breath to various situations all this time. I love her for pulling that sass out of him.

Oct 25, 2017
Hunnigan! Lol, almost twenty years now of having that one line after Leon wakes up in that cabin. There was just always something about the way the line was delivered. "Bad question Hunnigan" I've said that under my breath to various situations all this time. I love her for pulling that sass out of him.
Her melee weapon should be a chancla LOL

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'd be down for RE "girls edition" with Jill, Claire, Ada, Rebecca, Sherry and Ashley running around suplexing and round house kicking zombies. Shit have Sheva, Helena return and get Hunnigan out of her office to join in on the fun and it's an insta buy.
I would love this. Though they could do more than basic wrestling moves, I would want some hardcore joshi wrestling moves.