Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Playing Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and, aside from the groanworthy character designs which go without saying, not too far into the game there is the obligatory "women can't cook" joke. Only it's coffee. Kyoko, the adult woman running the detective agency, makes horrendously bad coffee according to a man side character. 🤦‍♀️
Haha.
:(

If this wasn't so pervasive, I'd think it was kinda fun and in Cyber Sleuth specifically, it has a "she breaths through her skin" justification that would've been a fun twist moment in another context.

Anime games keep going more and more outlandish with the nonsensical cluelessness about cooking so if you're willing to ride with it, it's just silly anime shenanigans. If only the underlying "Lol look how bad they are at cooking" didn't have the subtext of "lol look how bad women, who should be good at it, are at cooking".

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Oh gods, I just met Rei Kishibe. Very sexualized design? Check. Sexually harasses men but it's not framed as harassment? Check. Talks in a very sexual tone constantly? Check. This fucking game.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Oh gods, I just met Rei Kishibe. Very sexualized design? Check. Sexually harasses men but it's not framed as harassment? Check. Talks in a very sexual tone constantly? Check. This fucking game.
Wow I just looked up this character.

Yeesh.

Suzuhito Yasuda, king of random garters.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Playing Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and, aside from the groanworthy character designs which go without saying, not too far into the game there is the obligatory "women can't cook" joke. Only it's coffee. Kyoko, the adult woman running the detective agency, makes horrendously bad coffee according to a man side character. 🤦‍♀️

There is actually a good story reason for the bad coffee and it makes sense when you see it but that doesn't take away that most of the female designs from Cyber Sleuth are bad

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If we somehow get a third pass & there still isn't a black character.......yeah.

The sad part is that I could honestly see it happening.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I looked up her idle animation, and then I ended up flashbacking on the old ninja gaiden sigma commerical with a interesting usage of the PS3 motion control.

Oof lol.

Feb 24, 2018
Wow I just looked up this character.

Yeesh.

Suzuhito Yasuda, king of random garters.
Was this drawn by the hentai artist Digimon team hired?

I love Digimon but I wish it wasn't so crummy with their designs for women, both humans and femmine women monster designs (since Digimon can be men or women, like you can have women Greymon or Nunemon etc yet sadly we don't see that in the anime or change genders when the evolve etc). I feel like even over 2 decades Arukenimon is still the only post child/rookie leveled femmine Digimon not to be heavily sexualized:

Part of me wish the feminine Digimon first appeared in the early years when Digimon was heavily inspired by horror and sci-fi tropes characters (like how the 5th Virtual Pets both the child levels were based on the Gremlins and Critters and the the adult levels are based on Godzilla monsters, or the tons of Digimon with Todd Macfarlane demon mouths like Vilemon and Ogremon, the graboid and xenomorph aesthetics of the invertebrate Digimon etc), but that's likely wishful thinking and they wouldn't looked much better then what we got.

It also bothers that characters like Rosemon (who I like) got more and more sexualized as time went on or her pre-evo like Lillymon lost a lot of cooler aesthetics to make her more traditionally pretty (like how her "dress" looked more like part of her body, her cool nail claws or the little fans she had in the original anime that you could see from time to time).
Lilimon.jpg

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

hahahhaha that's sooooooooo good! I haven't heard that one before!

.....I can't believe there are people even here that defend these tropes. Maybe it's new to them? I can't think of anything else.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair I make terrible coffee too. Like, it's so bad I'm pretty sure anyone that asks me to make them coffee would be happier with boiled water. 😂

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of course Sakurai & Bandai Namco snuck in jiggle physics for Pyra/Mythra (had to check the start of the stream when Max's chat pointed it out).

SMH

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Was this drawn by the hentai artist Digimon team hired?
The human character designer, Suzuhito Yasuda, is best known for Devil Survivor and Durarara.

If we somehow get a third pass & there still isn't a black character.......yeah.

After FP2, the game has only 3 more provisioned character slots in the code. So we not get a FP3. The downside to that is, of course, that there is almost certainly not going to be a Black character.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As if her design isn't bad enough, her idle animation during conversations has her swaying lightly and her breasts moving like the physics were cranked up to 10.

That's not even the worst thing.

The way she talks is in a constant, sultry (?), mature sexual woman archetype.
it's infuriating and slow. i quit that game like 5 hours in and watch some let's play.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
can't expect alphamon to know how to cook it's a giant robo knight with no taste buds
but seriously it's a tired trope

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Speaking of Cyber Sleuth, there is a character in that game who is explicitly non-binary which was a nice surprise.
Like the poster who replied to you mentioned, there is a legitimate story reason for the coffee thing (and I do feel it has more legs than the Quiet breathes through her skin shit) but they definitely could have hinted at the 'reveal' without using a sexist stereotype.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I should have known far better than to wonder about how far sexualization can go in a Japanese fighting game, shouldn't I?

Those first two pics don't look like the same character at all. If I had any kind of emotional attachment to the former I'd be fucking livid.

Funny you should say this, I played a lot of the Story mode in the first BB and did not get the sequels and I just had the reaction you described. I really liked Noel.

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
I really don't understand why Nintendo fans find XBC2 designs to be in any way acceptable.

I feel like so much of that thread (if that's what you're referring to with this) once again just devolved into "well just play the game and you'll see the characters and story are great," which I feel like not only misses the whole point (you shouldn't HAVE to be made to "look past" that stuff to experience a great game), but also makes me feel awful and ashamed (because I just CAN'T just look past it to enjoy the game, which then I feel like is my own fault). :(

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This just reminds me of that period around the early Switch days with the "Nintendo now" images showing a bunch of female Nintendo character's asses like BotW Zelda and Twintelle among others.
The most boys club shit ever. It was accompanied with stuff like "Nintendo remembered how to sell consoles now."

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Could? It's pretty much guaranteed at this point. Twintelle was the one option served to them on a platter and look how much they cared.

I'm especially disappointed that they didn't bother normalizing Pyra's body a bit like they did with Bayonetta. So much for "it's a game for good kids" I guess. I love Sakurai as a dev as much as the next guy but it's obvious by now he's entirely out of touch with progressive topics like representation or feminism. :(

Of course Sakurai & Bandai Namco snuck in jiggle physics for Pyra/Mythra (had to check the start of the stream when Max's chat pointed it out).

SMH

Not being familiar with the characters, my reaction during that trailer when she switched forms with the camera focused on her face was "well, at least she has an alter ego, which surely has more norm- [camera shows whole body]... nope, never mind; she changes between a woman with melon-sized breasts and a woman with baby head-sized breasts."

Funny you should say this, I played a lot of the Story mode in the first BB and did not get the sequels and I just had the reaction you described. I really liked Noel.

I can only imagine and empathize with your pain. :(

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like so much of that thread (if that's what you're referring to with this) once again just devolved into "well just play the game and you'll see the characters and story are great," which I feel like not only misses the whole point (you shouldn't HAVE to be made to "look past" that stuff to experience a great game), but also makes me feel awful and ashamed (because I just CAN'T just look past it to enjoy the game, which then I feel like is my own fault). :(
It's straightup gaslighting.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Absolutely not a fault of yours. The game is telling people like us we aren't welcome.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why Nintendo fans find XBC2 designs to be in any way acceptable.
Fanboyism + "well it doesn't affect me personally"-ism + objectification of women being accepted broadly in society

Which is basically the argumentive & reasoning sections of this thread's hypothetical thesis

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The "teehee this girl can't cook look at how embarassing that is" trope is so widespread across anime games that its honestly embarrassing for the writers. Even if you take away the sexism (as Aexact pointed out, its essentially "woman bad at thing woman supposed to do!?"). Its a core underlying writing issue, you should be ashamed and embarrassed as a writer to recycle the same jokes you've seen done a thousand times before.

can't expect alphamon to know how to cook it's a giant robo knight with no taste buds
but seriously it's a tired trope

Its coffee though. Like seriously, you put a filter on, you dump some grounds in the filter, you run water through it.
even a robot with no taste buds can do that

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Absolutely not a fault of yours. The game is telling people like us we aren't welcome.
Which, for some people, is a selling point. They want games (and consoles) that will cater to (validate) their "tribe". Simple as that. XB2 could have the exact same story, but with a completely different artstyle, and they'd ignore it, because it's not "for them". Equally, give the Last of Us a Code Vein makeover, and they'd be happy to embrace it.

Edit:

Last edited:

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We talking Digimon and sexism? I could write pages on that, lol.
Its coffee though. Like seriously, you put a filter on, you dump some grounds in the filter, you run water through it.
even a robot with no taste buds can do that
It's less she doesn't know how/can't taste and more she finds putting in strange ingredients like mayo and red bean paste tastes good because she's a Digimon. The real Kyoko shows up at the end and finds it weird the MC drinks that shit.
Mind you, the trope sucks even if they "subvert it" because it's so prevalent in anime to the point of oversaturation, even the subversions of it are. The designs certainly don't help, with Kyoko in particular not looking like a detective at all. I'm thankful Survive's character designs look to be a massive improvement... if it ever comes out.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

That game is loaded with "Here's one for the boys" moments that its' no surprise it wouldn't appeal to some women. It's pervasive throughout the game.

I played the whole thing and it never got any less stupid in any sort of content, no matter the quality of the rest of the game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Which, for some people, is a selling point. They want games (and consoles) that will cater to (validate) their "tribe". Simple as that. XB2 could have the exact same story, but with a completely different artstyle, and they'd ignore it, because it's not "for them". Equally, give the Last of Us a Code Vein makeover, and they'd be happy to embrace it.
Tbh, I have literally seen some people say in other threads that Returnal would just be a better game if it wasn't "realistic styled", so it does seem like it comes down to that for some. Even though the game looks totally unique in every way in gameplay and setting, with a unique protagonist.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Not your fault and I'm sorry to hear you're being made to feel that way.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Random rant, but I'm playing Nioh 2 and although we have agreed some times how the female character designs are more tamer than the usual Team Ninja stuff, I keep getting annoyed when I think what they did with Ginchiyo's character in Nioh 1.

Not a japanese culture expect, but IIRC she was a badass in real life, and the changes of her character in the game are kinda.. problematic? spoilers

In the game, it's hinted that she's raped by Tokichiro one day that Tachibana (her husband) was away. In real life though, Tokichiro tried to invite her to her castle multiple times, but she always armed and with her army of women (because she trained women to have their own personal army) and that scared Tokichiro, eventually giving up.

In the game her husband also cheats on her but they end up still together because she's just too loyal to him, in real life he doesn't cheat on her but she ends up dumping him when they can't have kids. She still helps him later on on the Siege of Yanagawa but that's it, they part their ways after that-

Did I already said she trained women to make her own army? because when she dumped Tachibana she became a Buddhist nun and trained her fellow nuns, and fought at the Siege of Yanagawa. At the end died as a noble woman.

Why they have such an historical badass woman and rewrite it with what is shown in Nioh 1 is beyond me.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

From someone who enjoyed XB2: don't feel ashamed, it's the game's fault and it's also not that great.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

"Well just play the game and you'll see the characters and story are great" feels like something that outright admits the designs are bad and it's a problem, so I dunno why those folks are argumentative about it. If Pyra/Mythra/etc. are great characters beneath their character designs, then those fans should be even more annoyed they look so stupid (Pyra especially) than those on the outside looking in.

Like, I really enjoy the Cold Steel games (yet to play IV), but I'll be the first to admit some of those designs are outright embarassing and some pervy moments in those games actively work against it. One of my favorite characters (Fie) is repeatedly let down by having her wear extremely stupid and distracting clothes after the first game. Pretending those issues don't exist is just silly and can effectively render the other positives moot.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yep, I was pretty much told off that I didn't play the whole game so I just didn't know how good the game was. I tried to point out that Pyra's personality doesn't really "match" the outfit she's wearing but said poster, a woman actually, said I just didn't know about the character development that makes her more confident by the end of the game.

Me:
giphy.gif

Also, I swear I think I saw someone rationalize it as "You see the Blades look the way they do because they're not actually human but, see, the villain sees them as objects meant to be used and abused on a whim but Rex, the HERO, sees them as equal people because he's just so pure."

Like, it wants to be a game for the male gaze that's playing it but ALSO tries to rationalize it in-universe (aka "she breathes through her skin")

I might've shared this story in the first OT or something, but I'll post it again:

Growing up, my sister, who never really got into games would LOVE watching me play games like FFVI and other RPGs. She could enjoy the story and characters and not have to fumble with controllers trying to play it herself. She lives with me now and that's still a thing. When I was playing XC2, we were definitely eye rolling and mocking Pyra's outfit, but then I got to the infamous "Blushy Crushy" and my sister watching the two different options was just getting increasingly annoyed there wasn't a way to say "No" until you're forced to go through the whole thing until she finally said FUCK OFF and stormed out of the room.

Oh but, I'm not suppose to take that scene seriously. Ughh. It's infuriating. I see other people, women included, who can look past it and can really enjoy it, and I just can't see how.

It's like all that AND Elma and XCX getting skipped that makes them the worst additions to Smash for me.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Like, I really enjoy the Cold Steel games (yet to play IV), but I'll be the first to admit some of those designs are outright embarassing and some pervy moments in those games actively work against it. One of my favorite characters (Fie) is repeatedly let down by having her wear extremely stupid and distracting clothes after the first game. Pretending those issues don't exist is just silly and can effectively render the other positives moot.

Cold Steel series is aggressively homophobic too, its problems run a lot deeper than visual designs.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
"If you can just see past their designs and get to understand their charac-"

Nah, I don't feel like having to tolerate misogyny to try to understand.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Could? It's pretty much guaranteed at this point. Twintelle was the one option served to them on a platter and look how much they cared.

I'm especially disappointed that they didn't bother normalizing Pyra's body a bit like they did with Bayonetta. So much for "it's a game for good kids" I guess. I love Sakurai as a dev as much as the next guy but it's obvious by now he's entirely out of touch with progressive topics like representation or feminism. :(
I don't really fault them for going with Min Min, between her being the #1 most popular ARMS character & Yabuki's favorite. Most of my criticisms are with Sakurai not even considering Twintelle, but rather Ninjara (who's almost exclusively popular in Japan) as the 2nd choice. But yeah, you're right in that Sakurai is completely out of touch regarding progressive topics.