• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been replaying the Dead Space series from 1-3

and after playing 1-2, 3 is immediately jarring when it comes to "things you can see where EA stepped in to change shit"

In dead Space 1 the game is all about Isaac and his journey, there's only two female characters and Issac as our silent bumbling protag.

In dead Space 2 Isaac gets a partner. Ellie Langford.

Ellie is a survivor on the sprawl in Dead Space 2, she is very capable of taking care of herself and sees Issac while fighting off hordes of Necromorphs and constantly tells him to fuck off and leave her alone. They form a partnership eventually, where she either saves his ass a couple times, as well as helps him navigate his way through the chaos. All this time she's baby sitting an unstable psychopath that is constantly trying to assault her, while also fighting off Necromorphs and trying not to die. Issac sacrifices his only chance off the sprawl by tossing her in a spaceship and forcing her off the sprawl into space. However at the end where Issac is about to submit to dying alone, she breaks through the space station and rescues his suicidal ass so they can escape together.

She was a really cool character who had her own agency, and wasnt content to sit around be killed or damseled.

Meet Ellie Langford in Dead Space 3

Dont worry about how her character models shirt literally looks tacked on and edited last minute since, Immediately as soon as the game start 3 years after Dead Space 2. Ellie is already a Damsel, after having left Issac because of some romantic problems she shacks up with some abusive, extremely jealous high school jock military Jarhead that sends her off on a suicide mission and gets lost in space. Now Issac and her new boyfriend has to work together while dealing with an immature love triangle. Throughout the entire campaign this happens, all the dialogue is laced with these overtones of jealousy and Issac trying to "win" back Ellie. And it's just writting terribly. Not to mention the fact that Ellie is kidnapped, not once, but twice and used as a leverage for Issac as well as Issac has to sacrifice her to escape which inspires Issac to go kill the main antagonist.

The first two games had very distinct tones to them, isolation in Dead Space 1...PTSD in Dead Space 2, and ....90s sitcom love triangle in Dead Space 3.
maxresdefault.jpg

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I refused to even play DS3 after all I heard about it and Ellie's design there is just...awful. Awful! :( Such a shame as the first game is still an all time favorite of mine.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Tales of Arise and the way Shione runs drives me a little batty. I'm not even sure how to describe what she does with her arms, but you see it a lot with dainty women in media anime or games. Like...arms out to the side, elbows pointed down, arms up.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that is exactly it, except this gif is a little better since her arms seem to come forward more. Shione's stay out to her side. Both bug me. Am I only one it bothers?
This annoys me too. In Final Fantasy XIV, female Hyur midlanders also run like this. Makes me want to take the appearance potion and change her to highlander or miqote.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been replaying the Dead Space series from 1-3

and after playing 1-2, 3 is immediately jarring when it comes to "things you can see where EA stepped in to change shit"

In dead Space 1 the game is all about Isaac and his journey, there's only two female characters and Issac as our silent bumbling protag.

In dead Space 2 Isaac gets a partner. Ellie Langford.

Ellie is a survivor on the sprawl in Dead Space 2, she is very capable of taking care of herself and sees Issac while fighting off hordes of Necromorphs and constantly tells him to fuck off and leave her alone. They form a partnership eventually, where she either saves his ass a couple times, as well as helps him navigate his way through the chaos. All this time she's baby sitting an unstable psychopath that is constantly trying to assault her, while also fighting off Necromorphs and trying not to die. Issac sacrifices his only chance off the sprawl by tossing her in a spaceship and forcing her off the sprawl into space. However at the end where Issac is about to submit to dying alone, she breaks through the space station and rescues his suicidal ass so they can escape together.

She was a really cool character who had her own agency, and wasnt content to sit around be killed or damseled.

Meet Ellie Langford in Dead Space 3

Dont worry about how her character models shirt literally looks tacked on and edited last minute since, Immediately as soon as the game start 3 years after Dead Space 2. Ellie is already a Damsel, after having left Issac because of some romantic problems she shacks up with some abusive, extremely jealous high school jock military Jarhead that sends her off on a suicide mission and gets lost in space. Now Issac and her new boyfriend has to work together while dealing with an immature love triangle. Throughout the entire campaign this happens, all the dialogue is laced with these overtones of jealousy and Issac trying to "win" back Ellie. And it's just writting terribly. Not to mention the fact that Ellie is kidnapped, not once, but twice and used as a leverage for Issac as well as Issac has to sacrifice her to escape which inspires Issac to go kill the main antagonist.

The first two games had very distinct tones to them, isolation in Dead Space 1...PTSD in Dead Space 2, and ....90s sitcom love triangle in Dead Space 3.
ah yes, i too reach for the shirt my tits are most likely to pop out of when I'm about to tackle something physically arduous

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Those thigh strings are so needless. Why try to force such exposure for no reason. Though it did seemed to me the character design was inspired by Amicia De Rune's from Plague Tale...but fell short.

amicia_de_rune_by_littlezombiebat_demeqw8-fullview.jpg

IMO one of the best characters designs in recent history.
I'm so glad I got this game for free on EGS and started playing it recently.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of conversation to be had about the trend of character designers making their characters do that, but the article placing the blame on the fictional character like.. "what a foolish girl she is" really isn't it.

Also the line about them being correct to think it is erotic is pretty gross, especially given the reasons for why this became a trend in design in the first place.

Yeah, I think that's a miss for Hard Drive. The "article" is a tad mean-spirited without having much in terms of actual commentary.

I appreciate you saying as much here yeah.

Jan 11, 2018
There's a lot of conversation to be had about the trend of character designers making their characters do that, but the article placing the blame on the fictional character like.. "what a foolish girl she is" really isn't it.

It's satire though, from beginning to end. Similar to The Onion. I feel like the point of the entire article is to be intentionally absurd, because they are mocking the trope.

To give another example of their content:, here's a dig at giant corporations hijacking and exploiting Pride Month for their own benefit, also known as rainbow capitalism:

hard-drive.net

Rainbow Road Returns to Regular Road After Pride Month

All Mario Kart games will receive an automatic update on July 1st, changing Rainbow Road from a colorful space racetrack into a standard space turnpike.

Or just have a laugh at Gamers™:

hard-drive.net

New Historical Evidence Shows People Once Played Video Games for Fun

Historians are clamoring as a time capsule from the 1980s has revealed shocking evidence that humans once played video games for enjoyment.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It's satire though, from beginning to end. Similar to The Onion. I feel like the point of the entire article is to be intentionally absurd, because they are mocking the trope.

To give another example of their content:, here's a dig at giant corporations hijacking and exploiting Pride Month for their own benefit, also known as rainbow capitalism:

hard-drive.net

All Mario Kart games will receive an automatic update on July 1st, changing Rainbow Road from a colorful space racetrack into a standard space turnpike.

hard-drive.net

Historians are clamoring as a time capsule from the 1980s has revealed shocking evidence that humans once played video games for enjoyment.
Pointing to other articles doesn't help. It's a site that aims to have pointed satire but the article has no bite and punches down. What's the commentary other than "anime girls are ridiculous"? Like it tries to go into the territory of "there would be health ramifications if real" without acknowledging that real people have knocknees and such. It's a real medical condition, which the article doesn't acknowledge.

Jan 11, 2018
Pointing to other articles doesn't help. It's a site that aims to have pointed satire but the article has no bite and punches down. What's the commentary other than "anime girls are ridiculous"? Like it tries to go into the territory of "there would be health ramifications if real" without acknowledging that real people have knocknees and such. It's a real medical condition, which the article doesn't acknowledge.

I never really thought of the actual articles on websites like this one to be anything more than window dressing, since the actual punchline is usually in the article but the shtick is of course to present it as if it were real news. So I usually don't put too much stock in what they're saying. But that's on me. I can see how it would come across as a bit tone deaf if you expect more of it than that. Still, I would assume the intention here was just to mock a tired trope, not to punch down on people with an actual medical condition. Just like character designers most likely don't think about that either. Come to think of it, why do we call it "pigeon toes"? It's a term I've picked up from reading this thread but never really reflected on until now.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017

hard-drive.net

hard-drive.net

The assumption, because I thought the article was bad, that I didn't know it was satire and then linking to other articles to give examples of satire is definitely one of the kinds of behavior people are talking about when they use the term mansplaining. This assumption of a woman's ignorance as the default explanation for her opinion.
The point wasn't that I didn't realize it was satire, it's that I didn't think that particular article was good satire.

One of the problems with that Harddrive article is that the idea that the majority of people suffering from Valgus or Varus leg deformities are putting it on as an affectation to look cute is genuinely an idea I have seen expressed online before, and this kind of article sharing that idea as the punchline for their joke does not help that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I never really thought of the actual articles on websites like this one to be anything more than window dressing, since the actual punchline is usually in the article but the shtick is of course to present it as if it were real news. So I usually don't put too much stock in what they're saying. But that's on me. I can see how it would come across as a bit tone deaf if you expect more of it than that. Still, I would assume the intention here was just to mock a tired trope, not to punch down on people with an actual medical condition. Just like character designers most likely don't think about that either. Come to think of it, why do we call it "pigeon toes"? It's a term I've picked up from reading this thread but never really reflected on until now.
This is not it.

No one needs the explanation OR the further "I assume it was…" because it doesn't matter. We know. We get it. We can also assume intention. But intention doesn't matter. It's a mean-spirited piece and it doesn't contribute much and instead harms.

It doesn't matter if something is satire or in earnest or somewhere between if the actual discussion is that it sucks.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Had a bit of a laugh when folks ranted and raved at blizzard for censoring some low res artwork found in a vanilla instance.

was a lot of the usual rants about Puritanism, censorship, being sex-negative, sending the wrong message to women, and trying to whitewash their image by censorship rather then structural changes at Blizzard.

Note I doubt anyone even noticed the paintings before, nor particularly cared about them until they were changed.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Had a bit of a laugh when folks ranted and raved at blizzard for censoring some low res artwork found in a vanilla instance.

was a lot of the usual rants about Puritanism, censorship, being sex-negative, sending the wrong message to women, and trying to whitewash their image by censorship rather then structural changes at Blizzard.

Note I doubt anyone even noticed the paintings before, nor particularly cared about them until they were changed.

Context for those that may not follow WoW news: https://www.wowhead.com/news/vanill...pdated-and-desexualized-in-patch-9-1-5-324200

Tp6VV3N.png

I do feel like the second example (woman to bowl of fruit) is a little odd as far as choices go. Not sad to see the top one go, but why fruit to replace her?

The first example is a great change though, and it led to tweets for me to laugh at and consider turning into copypasta.

Jan 11, 2018
The assumption, because I thought the article was bad, that I didn't know it was satire and then linking to other articles to give examples of satire is definitely one of the kinds of behavior people are talking about when they use the term mansplaining. This assumption of a woman's ignorance as the default explanation for her opinion.

I am so sorry. That was definitely not my intention and I apologise that it came across that way. For what it's worth, my reply would not have been any different had it been addressed to a man. Looking back, it's not a good one either way. I really should have just asked you to elaborate on your opinion and provide further context for what made the article so bad, but I didn't because I was afraid it would make it look like I was trying to downplay something terrible, a bad look made worse due to me being a man. In the end, I did not see the forest for the trees and managed to end up looking insensitive and foolish regardless so that didn't exactly work out.

One of the problems with that Harddrive article is that the idea that the majority of people suffering from Valgus or Varus leg deformities are putting it on as an affectation to look cute is genuinely an idea I have seen expressed online before, and this kind of article sharing that idea as the punchline for their joke does not help that kind of thing.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but I had no idea that's something people actually say. That's awful! I lacked this context until just now. To me, it just looked like they were trying to find a way to weave in why anime artists draw women that way into the article. My original takeaway from the whole thing was "here's a common trope in anime design that doesn't make much sense, let's mock the illustrators between the lines" - which I now understand was a very crude read of the text. I regret my poor contribution to this discussion.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Thought Slime's newest video got my eyeballs to peep this video from Maya Ben David. I feel like y'all may appreciate it.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
There was definitely a better time to tone down the sexualization in WoW. Doing it now makes it hard to see it as anything other than damage control for the recent unveiling of Activision-Blizzard's shitty treatment of its employees.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the blizzard stuff is kind of a "both things are true" situation I think. It is good to tone down the gross sexualization kind of all over that game, but shit heads complaining about it are also right to state that blizzard is desperately looking for good pr to try and turn their image around.

In positive news, hey there's a that new vampire the masquerade battle royale game. Here's the two character's I've made so far:

vKACods.png

I am so sorry. That was definitely not my intention and I apologise that it came across that way.

Thanks for not doubling down over all this again and listening to the replies in the thread here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
From what I've seen devs say on Twitter, the picture change would have been in the pipeline and planned for months, way before the Acti-Blizzard scandal. It was also more likely spearheaded by a rank and file employee anyway so I don't think Acti-Blizzard get kudos points either way

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the blizzard stuff is kind of a "both things are true" situation I think. It is good to tone down the gross sexualization kind of all over that game, but shit heads complaining about it are also right to state that blizzard is desperately looking for good pr to try and turn their image around.

100% agreed, but I also feel there's a lot of melding between that and "but muh tiddies" from a certain faction of the fanbase. I always worry that bad actors will use a legit criticism (in this case the "damage control" narrative) as a jumping off point for their more extreme complaints.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Thought Slime's newest video got my eyeballs to peep this video from Maya Ben David. I feel like y'all may appreciate it.

Watched the animated witcher netflix movie and there's a fight scene this video is appropriate as my gf noticed that for some reason during a fight scene they felt the need to animate boob jiggle. Like, out of all the secondary animation for the character they were like "hmm, booba needs to move."

TBH I hadn't even noticed until she pointed it out because the shots where it happens are so quick that you have to wonder why they bothered.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Started the Wonderful 101 this week. I know platinum is not a bastion for good representation but all mighty why had I not heard how bad the sexism was in this. I'm about 50% through and the only woman party member (of 7) is:

a) Colour coded pink
b) Subject to numerous panty shots
c) is infatuated with the pretty boy villain
d) uses a whip for a weapon
e) is jealous of basically the only other friendly female character.

The only other two women of note are a villain (in something like bondage gear who flirts with Red and has massive badonkadonks) and another character who is the least egregious but subject to a shot of her arse during her introduction scene.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Started the Wonderful 101 this week. I know platinum is not a bastion for good representation but all mighty why had I not heard how bad the sexism was in this. I'm about 50% through and the only woman party member (of 7) is:

a) Colour coded pink
b) Subject to numerous panty shots
c) is infatuated with the pretty boy villain
d) uses a whip for a weapon
e) is jealous of basically the only other friendly female character.

The only other two women of note are a villain (in something like bondage gear who flirts with Red and has massive badonkadonks) and another character who is the least egregious but subject to a shot of her arse during her introduction scene.

Yeah, I feel like ALOT of older games are more egregious than I remember. I would like to think that a modern sequel to the series would tone that stuff down or straight up remove it.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Browsing through new roguelike deckbuilders to inject into my veins, I came across Anti-TuringTest and the developers really seem to consider Xenoblade 2 designs something to mimic. Also I bet that the local Villain Academy has focus on pin-up pose battle stance classes.

Uf5M55f.png

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like ALOT of older games are more egregious than I remember. I would like to think that a modern sequel to the series would tone that stuff down or straight up remove it.

But it's only about 8 years old and was rereleased just last years, it's representation would of barely flown 10 years earlier. Just surprised the game hasn't got more criticism for it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
But it's only about 8 years old and was rereleased just last years, it's representation would of barely flown 10 years earlier. Just surprised the game hasn't got more criticism for it.

probably because the characters are borderline chibi?

SI_WiiU_TheWonderfull101_image1600w.jpg

even in the main promo picture you can see the panty shot pose

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
probably because the characters are borderline chibi?

SI_WiiU_TheWonderfull101_image1600w.jpg

even in the main promo picture you can see the panty shot pose
The amount of effort to do that is pretty intentional at that point. "So every man can stand normally, but the one woman, we gotta make sure her underwear is showing for sexualisation, so let's make her stretch real hard for that to happen."

Guinguin

alt account
Banned
Sep 2, 2021
Still playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and still annoyed 90% of the chest armor has "pecs." I get that it's authentic to a certain extent but playing as Kassandra I'm never going to use any of those designs. The Artemis outfits strike a perfect balance of strength and beauty but there are only like 3 of them.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Tales of Arise and the way Shione runs drives me a little batty. I'm not even sure how to describe what she does with her arms, but you see it a lot with dainty women in media anime or games. Like...arms out to the side, elbows pointed down, arms up.
Can't say I noticed but I only just started playing. A run animation that bothers me is the one in that Project Eve trailer

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Man, Kisara was perfect to me until that exposed backside.
She's gorgeous, but it almost totally looks like she forgot the back half entirely, and looks weirdly incomplete.

I came in this thread after my previous play session of Tales of Arise, in my opinion it's not a spoiler or anything and I don't remember exactly when it happened but when you're comfortable you can read this.

So this thread has "her ass is part of her character" as part of the title because of how weird it sounds when people talk like that. Turns out with Kisara, it's kind of actually literally being used BY THE GAME as an excuse for the attire!

You see, Menancian guards take pride in the fact that they NEVER show their back to the enemy! So they don't wear armor in the back!

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
I came in this thread after my previous play session of Tales of Arise, in my opinion it's not a spoiler or anything and I don't remember exactly when it happened but when you're comfortable you can read this (or maybe you're at this point in the game now)

So this thread has "her ass is part of her character" as part of the title because of how weird it sounds when people talk like that. Turns out with Kisara, it's kind of actually literally being used BY THE GAME as an excuse for the attire!

You see, Menancian guards take pride in the fact that they NEVER show their back to the enemy! So they don't wear armor in the back!
........thanks I hate it 😐

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I came in this thread after my previous play session of Tales of Arise, in my opinion it's not a spoiler or anything and I don't remember exactly when it happened but when you're comfortable you can read this (or maybe you're at this point in the game now)

...I just made it to Elde Menancia over the weekend and now I don't want to keep playing anymore.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Her intro scene the camera lingers just long enough for her to turn around after having been facing the party the entire time and BAM

I wouldn't even be mad if it was normal pants but the butt area has a thong line on it. Weird thing is the pant legs look otherwise normal

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I came in this thread after my previous play session of Tales of Arise, in my opinion it's not a spoiler or anything and I don't remember exactly when it happened but when you're comfortable you can read this.

I just love it when the game has to explain the horrible design choices.

Ys8 did this with Dana as well. Everyone is missing clothes because it's just how they dress! It's normal I swear!

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I just love it when the game has to explain the horrible design choices.

The best part is that they always have reasons to show her from that side too. Like she's the one who brings up the fishing mini game, and the one you fish as. So you're always exposed to the butt!

The butt shouldn't be exposed the way it is. It's so blatant WHY the butt is there and the way it is, and it always has to be the focus at some point during Kisara scenes.

One thing I find weird too is that I talked about this with friends that are extremely critical for oversexualized characters that claim it's not as bad as huge cleavage or skin tight clothes on anime tiddies. And then you look at that butt and it's so skin tight AND she even has a butt cleavage!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The best part is that they always have reasons to show her from that side too. Like she's the one who brings up the fishing mini game, and the one you fish as. So you're always exposed to the butt!

The butt shouldn't be exposed the way it is. It's so blatant WHY the butt is there and the way it is, and it always has to be the focus at some point during Kisara scenes.

One thing I find weird too is that I talked about this with friends that are extremely critical for oversexualized characters that claim it's not as bad as huge cleavage or skin tight clothes on anime tiddies. And then you look at that butt and it's so skin tight AND she even has a butt cleavage!

It's literally the first thing you see of her in the anime intro, too. You see her butt cleavage before you see her face.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
It's literally the first thing you see of her in the anime intro, too. You see her butt cleavage before you see her face.

Yeah, it's so blatant! I'm quite sad too because I think the character is gorgeous and I love her design, they could have had such a nice character if she just had her full armor on. At least give me a skin I don't know.

I like the butt, just don't get why badass guard that uses a huge fucking shield has to have a butt cleavage and butt showing.

At least don't make it the focus in every damn scene, god damn.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's so blatant! I'm quite sad too because I think the character is gorgeous and I love her design, they could have had such a nice character if she just had her full armor on. At least give me a skin I don't know.

I like the butt, just don't get why badass guard that uses a huge fucking shield has to have a butt cleavage and butt showing.

At least don't make it the focus in every damn scene, god damn.

It honestly almost feels to me like the Arise developers poking fun at people who've been calling out the "boobie lady" JRPG archetype (Judith from ToV, etc) over the past couple of years. "Oh, you don't like it when a female character has big boobs and everybody talks about their boobs all the time? Well here!"

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly almost feels to me like the Arise developers poking fun at people who've been calling out the "boobie lady" JRPG archetype (Judith from ToV, etc) over the past couple of years. "Oh, you don't like it when a female character has big boobs and everybody talks about their boobs all the time? Well here!"

I wish I could believe that the thought process went anywhere further than "how do we show more ass?". I just don't know these type of games to ever avoid a trope for the sake of avoiding and are normally more into leaning into them to appeal to a set audience.

Funny thing is I actually like the idea of it. A proud warrior class with heavy armaments that has their sense of pride tied to an odd value. Could be just non armored backs with still normal cloths or even just never focus on the ass. Guess that would work better in a book or non third person game where the standard pov is from behind.