SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Goodness, censorship is another word that's starting to lose all meaning. I hate censorship, but to me censorship means when a government or some kind of third party forces a creator to change the message they are trying to send with their work, or they modify their work without their consent, directly harming the creator and in a way destroying the work of art since the original uncensored version would no longer exist.

Changing the camera in Mass Effect isn't censorship because having the camera stare at Miranda's ass or not, doesn't change the game or removes the themes the developers intended (tho I'm sure some people would argue that buttcheeks are an important theme to be explored looks at thread's title), while for example moving the camera away from Abby during:
the sex scene to stare at a wall or something would be censorship, because there is a point to the nudity in that scene, there is a message, and the game would change if censored

Also if the developers decided internally to change the camera it's not censorship because they weren't forced by an higher power, they simply listened to criticism.
Going back to TLoU 2, in the countries that censored it, we CAN call it censorship because the devolpers didn't agree to it but they had no other choice but to comply to the governments' requests or simply not sell the game at all in some countries.

And third, to me censorship applies if the original work is lost, or changed forever. Which isn't the case for a re-release because you can still go play the original Mass Effect 2, in its unaltered glory if it's that important for you. And it would be different if after a re-release of TLoU 2 that removed the scene, ninjas broke into your house to destroy your PS4 if you didn't download the patch that removes the scene from the game.

Basycally for how much the word gets thrown around, I feel like censorship is very rare these days. Sure in some countries they could remove the gore from Mortal Kombat, essentialy destroying the artistic point of the game, or remove LGBT themes because they are countries in which being gay is illegal (what a good world we live in), but for the most part you are free to make the game you want, however you want, without anyone stopping you.

Sure stuff like DoA Volleyball might not get released in the west because they may be censored and it would be censorship, since the only point of the game (as shallow as it may be) IS having young women in revealing bikinis, which means the game WOULD be radically changed if they wore something else, and it would be a third party changing it.
But guess what, there are workarounds like fan translations (or in this case official translations lol) and the game is still allowed to be made like the developers want even if they can't release it in every country of the world.

There is a pretty old Jim Sterling video about how a game based around school shooting was removed from Steam. The game was developed for the SOLE PURPOSE of seeing how far they could take things before Steam stepped in and said "yo, what you are making is too disgusting and immoral. We ain't selling it". And I feel like if the goal really was to make a school shooting game instead of testing Steam, they could have found some weird site that would sell the horrible game somewhere in the bad parts of internet. That says it all imho. If you are trying to creat something so horrible that IT WILL be censored on purpose and you may actually fail and not get censored, it means we are not living in countries with a censorship problem, so please SHUT UP and stop misusing words just to sound smart while whining.

I fully agree, and there still one more argument you can add to your list: the people making those changes are the original company that made the game in the first place. The original artists if you will. Casey Hudon which is Mass Effect creator probably worked in the Legendary Edition for a good while, and Mac Walters, who is the director, was a key developer in the trilogy, especially ME2 and ME3. So it's not like a group of strangers, or a third party as you put it, is making those changes while the original creators hide in a corner afraid to protest.

Thinking about nudity for a second, both ME2 and ME3 were released in a time where Bioware was under... scrutiny by part of the media because of the sex scenes in ME1. And you can see the result of that in how conservative, and even inconsistent, the romance scenes in ME2 and ME3 were. I remember in ME3 for example Samantha Traynor takes a shower with her underwear on. I think it was only with Dragon Age Inquisition that Bioware stopped being afraid of showing naked people again. And this is something that they could discuss changing in the LE, because I believe if they were not under preassure they might have made different creative decisions. And I guarantee that if those were the changes made to the LE, no one would be complaining about "censorship".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Same energy as Black Widow from the Winter Soldier poster.

81016hJmNvL._AC_SY679_.jpg
Nick Fury, spymaster: suspicious, choosing a target.
Captain America, ultimate soldier: stoic, determined, standing tall, steady advance
Black Widow, legendary professional assassin: advertising shampoo

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
I fully agree, and there still one more argument you can add to your list: the people making those changes are the original company that made the game in the first place. The original artists if you will. Casey Hudon which is Mass Effect creator probably worked in the Legendary Edition for a good while, and Mac Walters, who is the director, was a key developer in the trilogy, especially ME2 and ME3. So it's not like a group of strangers, or a third party as you put it, is making those changes while the original creators hide in a corner afraid to protest.

Thinking about nudity for a second, both ME2 and ME3 were released in a time where Bioware was under... scrutiny by part of the media because of the sex scenes in ME1. And you can see the result of that in how conservative, and even inconsistent, the romance scenes in ME2 and ME3 were. I remember in ME3 for example Samantha Traynor takes a shower with her underwear on. I think it was only with Dragon Age Inquisition that Bioware stopped being afraid of showing naked people again. And this is something that they could discuss changing in the LE, because I believe if they were not under preassure they might have made different creative decisions. And I guarantee that if those were the changes made to the LE, no one would be complaining about "censorship".

It seems we fully agree. I'm also sure nobody would complain if that was the change they made.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Armor mod for FF12's Fran and also for Ashe
www.nexusmods.com

Chainmail Armor - Party Pack v2.2

Various clothing reskins for the main party, centered around using chainmail style armor.

...I'll take it.
49-1525191388-231609882.png

Surprised the mod didn't change more, or maybe they can't. Not sure what actually goes into modding it.

(Man, I'm still peeved I'm pretty peeved how the PS4 version got screwed over, only getting a patch to add one feature the XBO and Switch versions got and no 60 FPS patch).

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised the mod didn't change more, or maybe they can't. Not sure what actually goes into modding it.

(Man, I'm still peeved I'm pretty peeved how the PS4 version got screwed over, only getting a patch to add one feature the XBO and Switch versions got and no 60 FPS patch).

It's usually hard to mod in additional polygons without potentially breaking things. Sometimes it's easier, but no less effective, to modify the textures of the existing model to make it appear like they're wearing more armor. In this mod's case, it's all about painting chainmail instead of skin.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Resetera coomers are happy, and that's truly the most important representation in gaming

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I am kind of surprised that they did not cover Pyra's waist (on the sides). I know the spirit did not, but it is easier to fly under the radar with the spirit than it is with a model moving in the foreground. No, I do not think the Smash team cares about avoiding objectifying women, but they do care about the Japanese ratings board.

Feb 24, 2018

Like I said on the reveal thread, like their is another woman in Smash but yeah, the design is very silly and the boob socks are eye-rolling, I feel like I've been nulled somewhat from fighting games and thought it wasn't too bad at first but then really looking at it, their sillier the designs are.

Is this like how they were in Xenoblade 2 or are these toned down from there like what happened to Bayonetta?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Noticed that too. Do other smash characters have jiggle physics? And what material is her armor made out of styrofoam?

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
Man they didn't even attempt to change Pyra's design at all, that's basically pantyhose to cover the legs so in a way it's even more fetish-y than normal. And their breasts are still the absurd size they always were.

It's so weird that Smash is going from Bayonetta, Zero Suit Samus and Palutena as the most sexualized characters to... this. I know that Bayonetta is the literal witch that strips to finish her enemies, but her designs look tasteful next to this crap. At least she looks like a real person and not a sex doll.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Like I said on the reveal thread, like their is another woman in Smash but yeah, the design is very silly and the boob socks are eye-rolling, I feel like I've been nulled somewhat from fighting games and thought it wasn't too bad at first but then really looking at it, their sillier the designs are.

Is this like how they were in Xenoblade 2 or are these toned down from there like what happened to Bayonetta?

The stockings and tights are the difference, for some reason
ZSS has an outfit with bare legs so I don't see the issue there, I guess her ass would probably be flashing the camera a little less obviously

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Man they didn't even attempt to change Pyra's design at all, that's basically pantyhose to cover the legs so in a way it's even more fetish-y than normal. And their breasts are still the absurd size they always were.

It's so weird that Smash is going from Bayonetta, Zero Suit Samus and Palutena as the most sexualized characters to... this. I know that Bayonetta is the literal witch that strips to finish her enemies, but her designs look tasteful next to this crap. At least she looks like a real person and not a sex doll.

Anytime I see designs like the XB ones, Bayonetta, 2b, etc....it just makes me appreciate ones like Ellie/Abby, Aloy, etc even more.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Sakurai basically did the bare minimum to stay within the E10+ rating. I'm pretty sure they would have gotten in unaltered if the game was T, which saddens me. Pyra in particular needed a complete redo (or at least do away with the vacuum-sealed shirt).

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

For Pyra: The pantyhose is is not in XB2. I am not sure which is worse. Smash technically covers more, but as Dustlander noted, the pantyhose might be a fetish focus.

For Mythra: It's a lot more toned down compared to XB2. All the black areas were basically bare skin, and she had very noticeable cleavage.

Last edited:

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
It didn't take long for the stereotypical "Have you ever seen a women before? i can assure you alot of women have big boobs" comment to pop up in that smash reveal thread.

Feb 24, 2018
For Pyra: The pantyhose is not in XB2. I am not sure which is worse. Smash technically covers more, but as Dustlander noted, the pantyhose might be a fetish focus.

For Mythra: It's a lot more toned down compared to XB2. Her legs are bare; her sides and back are bare, and she had very noticeable cleavage.
The stockings and tights are the difference, for some reason
ZSS has an outfit with bare legs so I don't see the issue there, I guess her ass would probably be flashing the camera a little less obviously
Thanks, yeah it feels like the more I look at the designs the more I notice the issues (also is Mythra's boots robot heads, do those talk).

I feel like I can't be fully angry with the choice because it's another woman over the more obvious choice of Rex or just another man in general, but they are severe issues with that design and from what I've seen discussed here on this thread in the past, not even the worst that game has.

Feel a bit of hypocrite saying that because one of my dream characters would be Morrigan from DarkStalkers and that's a characters who design (especially in more newer art) has a ton of issues as well.

Still hoping how little Cooking Mama, Chun-Li and Jill Valentine (though I suspect Chris would be considered the true man of RE) for Smash and if they did another Pokemon rep, hoping they'd do another human like Cynthia with a twist and differences so she isn't just an copy of Red.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As far as Direct reveals go, at least there are some good designs in the Project Triangle Strategy demo:
I noticed those, they look cool. I like the knitted wool shawl with the toggle on the lady at the top? Cosy. Detail on all of them is good though. It's the kind of detail I like, they look like they wear those outfits rather than attach it with glue and hope for the best.

Last edited:

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Feel a bit of hypocrite saying that because one of my dream characters would be Morrigan from DarkStalkers and that's a characters who design (especially in more newer art) has a tn of issues as well.

The difference is that character has a long standing place in games history, there's no need to be ashamed of that
The least satisfying stuff in smash loses sight of that and feels like a cheap grab for selling that game
Like say Lara Croft, you could have her original triangle boob design and it still feels nowhere near as bad because that character has a real spot in culture

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Monolith has been put on my "they aren't going to change why waste energy criticizing it" when it comes to character designs list, along with yoko taro, the people who make trails, and many others that i won't say. Though i love mythra as a character even with that design so i am happy she is included

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Well, this was bound to happen. Xenoblade is definitely big enough to deserve a second rep, and Elma really needed a sequel to her game to have a shot.

The designs are bad, there's no two ways around it, but at least it's still more female representation? At least you aren't playing as REX with Pyrrha and Mythra in the background having the same design, but being literally obectified to support him.

I'm in a discord with a pretty varied group of friends who are Nintendo diehards like me and watch Directs and stuff together. About half of them are LGBTQ+ people like me.
And the reactions to the new characters were of course varied, with some happy, some annoyed, most neutral and one person that was literally exploding with joy because Pyrrha is their favorite first-party character not yet in Smash. But the one thing that brought us all together was the reaction to Rex being confirmed as not being playable.

Everyone, including those who didn't play the game (but still knew enough to understand what kind on non-character he is), said a variant of "GOOD! Screw Rex!"

If nothing else we can all be happy that one of the worst, most boring self-insert protagonist that gets an harem for no reason in the history of gaming hasn't joined the roster. For all the problems in their designs, Pyrrha and Mythra are way more interesting, especially when they aren't interacting with that waste of space. Being a final smash is more than he deserves.

Really holding out hope for Elma in the next game. Xenoblade is certainly big enough for three reps, right?

It didn't take long for the stereotypical "Have you ever seen a women before? i can assure you alot of women have big boobs" comment to pop up in that smash reveal thread.

Has anyone made the "well they are not technically human women, so there is no reason they need to follow real women's anatomy" argument yet?

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Monolith has been put on my "they aren't going to change why waste energy criticizing it" when it comes to character designs list, along with yoko taro, the people who make trails, and many others that i won't say. Though i love mythra as a character even with that design so i am happy she is included
Always room to criticize misogynistic bad designs, imo.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Feel a bit of hypocrite saying that because one of my dream characters would be Morrigan from DarkStalkers and that's a characters who design (especially in more newer art) has a ton of issues as well.

Still hoping how little Cooking Mama, Chun-Li and Jill Valentine (though I suspect Chris would be considered the true man of RE) for Smash and if they did another Pokemon rep, hoping they'd do another human like Cynthia with a twist and differences so she isn't just an copy of Red.

You. I like you. Even if I would prefer to have a playable Lusamine from Sun/Moon as it would be an interesting idea and follow the theme of "villains" added to the roster.
Or even better, no more Pokémon reps, so we agree on that front too.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

I'd say it's always worth it
Looking at the costume design changes between MGS and Death Stranding, despite being by the same artist Shinkawa for many many years, are worth it

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Always room to criticize misogynistic bad designs, imo.
and imo, when it comes to people who won't change it's just wasted energy. I'd rather do it when it's someone like nomura who does it but can change. but when it's monolith the people who gave kos-mos this
tumblr_inline_p07wqabpOi1u6gqzl_400.gifv

and has continually produced that attack in every one of their games since while constantly using sexualized designs. at that point you are screaming at a brick wall and hoping the sound of your voice will knock it down, it's like asking the developers in charge of SenKag to change

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
and imo, when it comes to people who won't change it's just wasted energy. I'd rather do it when it's someone like nomura who does it but can change. but when it's monolith the people who gave kos-mos this

and has continually produced that attack in every one of their games since while constantly using sexualized designs. at that point you are screaming at a brick wall and hoping the sound of your voice will knock it down, it's like asking the developers in charge of SK to change
Eh, I mean when they are designs that egregious, I think it's important to keep pushing back. Just me though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

and has continually produced that attack in every one of their games since while constantly using sexualized designs. at that point you are screaming at a brick wall and hoping the sound of your voice will knock it down, it's like asking the developers in charge of SenKag to change

i'm sorry hold on a second

KOS-MOS' armor has a knife built into it specifically for cutting her top open?

the fuck?

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy

Ah yes, the old destructive cannon hidden in the breasts trick. I would pay anything to see a destructive cannon hidden in the penis as a variation. Though I worry they would probably only make something like that as a joke, while this thing with Kos-Mos is supposed to be taken seriously lmao.

Can we add her and T-elos to the ever growing pile of female characters that deserve better than their company has given them?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
pyra's outfit is still hideous, the pantyhose add-on doesn't help whatsoever, and hell the dlc swimsuit for her in XB2 is less awful imo than the default

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Eh, I mean when they are designs that egregious, I think it's important to keep pushing back. Just me though.
and when it's people who don't care or want to listen, it just better to not waste energy i mean look at de the game they released in 2020, after there was push back against sexualized designs what did we get as new armor?

they had the chance to put new non sexualized armor in the game they chose not to

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Armor mod for FF12's Fran and also for Ashe
www.nexusmods.com

Chainmail Armor - Party Pack v2.2

Various clothing reskins for the main party, centered around using chainmail style armor.

...I'll take it.
49-1525191388-231609882.png

Is this usable on the gamepass version? I was thinking of trying it as I never finished it after loosing my saves halfway in.

I think the designs look a bit better then the Xeno 2 looks. I would have preferred Elma as she has the better look but I do like Mythra and Pyra as charters in spite of the cringe designs.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Ah yes, the old destructive cannon hidden in the breasts trick. I would pay anything to see a destructive cannon hidden in the penis as a variation. Though I worry they would probably only make something like that as a joke, while this thing with Kos-Mos is supposed to be taken seriously lmao.

Can we add her and T-elos to the ever growing pile of female characters that deserve better than their company has given them?
may i introduce destroy man, literally the only male character in video games with a dick laser and nipple guns

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If they really have introduced jiggle to Smash with those two then that's a bit concerning

In general this is the first time I've felt a Smash inclusion was driven almost entirely by merchandise sales. Sakurai is usually a stickler for lore but here we have Pyra and Mythra goin all-out on their own.

I mean, on the one hand it's cool to have two female characters in one, but their designs kinda weaken it. At least they went with the far superior Mythra outfit, I guess.

I will say that basically all of the early party members in the original look very silly except Nia, but I recently saw her design from later in the game and... yeah. People give Kingdom Hearts a lot of flack for its fashion but they're cohesive masterpieces compared to XB2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If they really have introduced jiggle to Smash with those two then that's a bit concerning

In general this is the first time I've felt a Smash inclusion was driven almost entirely by merchandise sales. Sakurai is usually a stickler for lore but here we have Pyra and Mythra goin all-out on their own.

I mean, on the one hand it's cool to have two female characters in one, but their designs kinda weaken it. At least they went with the far superior Mythra outfit, I guess.

I will say that basically all of the early party members in the original look very silly except Nia, but I recently saw her design from later in the game and... yeah. People give Kingdom Hearts a lot of flack for its fashion but they're cohesive masterpieces compared to XB2.
Yea, Kairi from Kingdom Hearts looks like an all time great design compared to these tbh, lol.

Feb 24, 2018
You. I like you. Even if I would prefer to have a playable Lusamine from Sun/Moon as it would be an interesting idea and follow the theme of "villains" added to the roster.
Or even better, no more Pokémon reps, so we agree on that front too.
Thinking about it, one of the issues with Cynthia is that Lucario is one of her mains so that'd cause problems. Misty I think could work well, instead of the switch out gimmick of the Pokemon Trainer, her two Pokemon, Staryu and Starmie are more closer to the Ice Climbers but instead their heavily focused on rush hit and run tactics and speed, acting like Ninja stars across the map with double team (though more fragile fighters to compensate) using rapid spin and tackle for close rapid attacks before quick retreats for bubblebeam limited range. Maybe add Psyduck or one of her other Pokemon in two add more gimmicks or as an Final Smash?