• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's not that dumb.... Is what I would've said before the Stellar Blade demo released "early" on International Women's Day. And then they made that "iconic female protagonists" PS5 listing with the game at the same time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Oh fuck i didn't even think of that, please don't add her to any promotional material for International Women's Day. What a fucking slap to the face that would be. Even if they do add her and try to cover her up, we'd see losers cry about "censorship" and make a big stink about "the artists true vision" schtick again. That is gonna go all kinds of wrong cause of those losers, I can feel it.

if it sells they will. It would be another big exclusive to show of.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Sony puts Eve on the same poster as Aloy for International Women's Day to promote gaming for women. First, you're going to have an outcry from the chuds who don't want Eve next to a "woke" person like Aloy. Second, you're going to have the massive amount of people that don't want a T&A character like Eve next to Aloy.
Oh fuck i didn't even think of that, please don't add her to any promotional material for International Women's Day. What a fucking slap to the face that would be. Even if they do add her and try to cover her up, we'd see losers cry about "censorship" and make a big stink about "the artists true vision" schtick again. That is gonna go all kinds of wrong cause of those losers, I can feel it.

They'll probably do just this. Promote their game AND pour gasoline on a manufactured culture war that'll give the game more attention? You can practically see the dollar signs in their eyes.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
if it sells they will. It would be another big exclusive to show of.
It's gonna be such a shit show, I can already see it.
They'll probably do just this. Promote their game AND pour gasoline on a manufactured culture war that'll give the game more attention? You can practically see the dollar signs in their eyes.
Literally. Really gonna make the whole initiative look like a joke, and they won't give a shit.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
It's kind of bizarre and disheartening to me because they don't push this hard for marketing many of their other exclusives. I just wonder how entrenched that Sony was when they made the publishing deal with ShiftUp. I'm wondering what the contract terms were in the marketing fine print where they're obligated to spend or do [X] amount of content pushing for advertising Stellar Blade and what the budget was. Granted, most of their advertising push has been through social media which is practically free and the most costly ventures might be the video ads and paying the cosplayers.

It's just so out of place with SIE because we've never really seen them go this "balls to the walls" over any other exclusive.
They are making a big strategic push for regions outside of the traditional NA/EU/JPN for console growth with ShiftUp, a strategic partnership with NC Soft, and so on.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
SIE isn't going to treat Eve like a first party character, that's not going to happen. She doesn't belong to them. Stellar Blade is not going to have an impact outside of this year, which is being generous of if the game even is talked about much in a month.

A Stellar Blade GAAS project is a different story, but even then there will be limits to how it will impact anything.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
What Star Rail players hoped she would look like
ad65ede0-39e0-11ee-930d-c62d7f54fd83

What she is probably going to look like most of the time:

View: https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1782620789990416531

Nice not sexualized, not gendered Tekkaman armor though.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
SIE isn't going to treat Eve like a first party character, that's not going to happen. She doesn't belong to them. Stellar Blade is not going to have an impact outside of this year, which is being generous of if the game even is talked about much in a month.

A Stellar Blade GAAS project is a different story, but even then there will be limits to how it will impact anything.
Legit i dont expect it to be talked about when it releases beside some stupid comments about how it got "robbed" when GOTY talks happen at the end of the year (there is no way it will ever be considered), and of course when any sales numbers appear and grifters try to make stupid tweets and videos claiming the "woke has begun to be destroyed" or some shit

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
To be fair, most people thought Sam (the HSR robot being discussed above) was actually his own character and not like a robot suit for a girl. There was so much doom and gloom on the leaks subreddit when the leakers started talking about Firefly's existence. So many people got ultra baited into believing we'd get a badass mecha as a playable character for a whole year, only for the Firefly bait and switch.

I guess there's still Screwllum for the people who want a robot husbando, except we don't even know when he's releasing and whether he's actually 4* or 5*.

Nov 3, 2017
The video ads I'm not sure, but if they're showing up in NYC, then I would imagine it would be easier for a Korean dev to push that through an American company like SIE than by themselves directly because it's gotta be Sony-sponsored and meet the approval of their marketing team before it gets shown in NYC.

On the gacha note, they very well could push some of that revenue to Sony as part of the contracting budget. I think our currency though is worth more than Korea's, but I could be wrong. I imagine it's a joint effort. ShiftUp paying Sony to market the material in the States for anything that's not free social media publicity and word of mouth.

Not sure if you meant our currency as in the Yen or Dollar, but the Yen is more than the Won and less than the Dollar and currently at its weakest wrt to both in the past five years.

I agree with your surmising of the situation. And I also think it reeks of Sony's continued actions. You wouldn't negotiate a contract, in their dominant position, that would wave away right to action or inaction to prevent potential damage, of consumer perception of brand (and) trust, from a partnership. They're going all in on the game, regardless of who it steps on.

Edit, currency clarification.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, most people thought Sam (the HSR robot being discussed above) was actually his own character and not like a robot suit for a girl. There was so much doom and gloom on the leaks subreddit when the leakers started talking about Firefly's existence. So many people got ultra baited into believing we'd get a badass mecha as a playable character for a whole year, only for the Firefly bait and switch.

I guess there's still Screwllum for the people who want a robot husbando, except we don't even know when he's releasing and whether he's actually 4* or 5*.

I'm so glad I gave up on HSR pretty early, or I would've been super pissed if we found out about a badass mech, only for it to turn out to be an utterly generic teenage anime girl. I'm so shockingly worn out on gacha games and their utter fixation on "collect all the cute girls!!!!!!!!!!" as their primary focus.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
I did start awhile back haha! 🥰 I should pick it up again when Destiny Final Shape dies down since I'm gonna need another GaaS title to fill the space.

D9AE367912FF7150AC7922173B9E097F2914AFE1
Cute! I always wanted to try out a midlander, but they don't have the right face options for me.

I actually have a cat girl because they're one of the ones that gave me an option to have a scar over the right eye. It's ridiculous that options like that are set per face and per race.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Boothill? I just know him from HSR fanart I'm sorry if he's not.

He's cool too, and def a future pull for me, but Sam was a cool actual robot. I should've known better tbh. I get why people like her but Firefly is textbook waifubait that I hate in gacha.
oh you were posting FF14 glamours and nobody posted SEXY BUNNY LADIES?

Fine, I'll do it...

BTFHH8r.png

XJDAHEI.png

that's pretty fucking sexy you have to admit.

That looks really cool.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Ya'll are making me actually want to update my glamour plates in FF14 now. :)

I actually have a problem going into Dawntrail that I main Ninja... so you'd think I'd have lots of glamour for Viper.

But the moment I saw the frog suit in a story cutscene back when I started in ShB, I knew that only a heroic frog ninja could save the world.
So all my scouting gear is all be-frogged and I'd have to de-glamour crystal it all. Too much work!

I really wish they could update the glamour system to work more like other MMOs, and return my inventory space to me.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
He's cool too, and def a future pull for me, but Sam was a cool actual robot. I should've known better tbh. I get why people like her but Firefly is textbook waifubait that I hate in gacha.

I used to play gacha and I feel like yeah it's p much inescapable for female gacha characters designed in that way until I quit them and now I'm free for over 2-3 years.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What Star Rail players hoped she would look like
ad65ede0-39e0-11ee-930d-c62d7f54fd83

What she is probably going to look like most of the time:

View: https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1782620789990416531

Nice not sexualized, not gendered Tekkaman armor though.

Yeah I wouldnt have gotten my hopes up, I love MiHoYo designs, but I don't think it's a stretch to say they fit a pretty tight "mould".

I actually just checked, as I haven't kept up much with Star Rail (as I did Genshin) but wow... I was sad to be right lol
genshin.gg

Honkai: Star Rail All Characters List

A complete list of all playable characters in Honkai: Star Rail.
aM310Vr.png

This drives me nuts, they're REALLY good designs, but really start to bleed together too.

(off topic, I like that a company as big as Mihoyo still hasn't changed the original Twitter icon even for ZZZ)

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I used to play gacha and I feel like yeah it's p much inescapable for female gacha characters designed in that way until I quit them and now I'm free for over 2-3 years.

I hate it so much. Like I get it ya'll thrive off fanservice, I just want equal fanservice. Nobody's losing anything, etc. I know ita foolish hope tho.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

I believe in the 2.3 SU expansion bringing us Screwllum. Only 4.5 hours to finding out!

Personally, I am fine with Firefly turning out to be the same person as Sam. But I would have preferred if Firefly is just a dream world projection, and you actually run around and fight as the mecha. It fits her back story in a lot of ways, like her being tied to a cold chamber because of her being an artificial super soldier suffering from a (rather interesting in mechanics, even if the effect is generic [1]) science-fiction illness. But no, Mihoyo made a cute girl model and cannot have her only visible in the Penacony dreamscape.

I hate it so much. Like I get it ya'll thrive off fanservice, I just want equal fanservice. Nobody's losing anything, etc. I know ita foolish hope tho.
I'm mostly on the other side, where I think it would be better if Mihoyo toned down the fanservice on the female characters. But a lot. Firefly is fine. She has a pretty cute dress that fits her namesake. Most of the others... not so much. The worst offenders are the Luofu women. Please stop putting vaguely dress shaped underwear with random cutouts on them.

[1] The game calls it Entropy Loss Syndrome. Its cause is this: One of the planets in this setting needed to fight off a monster insect invasion. Their solution was to mass produce super soldiers in powered armor, like Firefly. They super enhancement works as follows. They can move at super speeds because the super "steals" time from their future, giving them more time to react in the present. But as the future arrives, the stolen moments cause them to move more and more slowly because the time is missing, making them unable to function outside the armor.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
[1] The game calls it Entropy Loss Syndrome. Its cause is this: One of the planets in this setting needed to fight off a monster insect invasion. Their solution was to mass produce super soldiers in powered armor, like Firefly. They super enhancement works as follows. They can move at super speeds because the super "steals" time from their future, giving them more time to react in the present. But as the future arrives, the stolen moments cause them to move more and more slowly because the time is missing, making them unable to function outside the armor.
hYOFlgP.gif

That's some low grade scifi writing.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I believe in the 2.3 SU expansion bringing us Screwllum. Only 4.5 hours to finding out!

Personally, I am fine with Firefly turning out to be the same person as Sam. But I would have preferred if Firefly is just a dream world projection, and you actually run around and fight as the mecha. It fits her back story in a lot of ways, like her being tied to a cold chamber because of her being an artificial super soldier suffering from a (rather interesting in mechanics, even if the effect is generic [1]) science-fiction illness. But no, Mihoyo made a cute girl model and cannot have her only visible in the Penacony dreamscape.
Safe bet that Screwllum has been pushed back with his kit overhauled at this point. The Simulated Universe update coming in 2.3 isn't a new campaign mode anyway, the developer radio thing from a couple days ago indicated that it's a major overhaul to regular SU instead. So Screwllum is likely coming much later in the patch cycle with a new SU campaign.

I don't have that much of an issue with Firefly either, they really sold her through the story. I think she's the most hyped character ever since Kafka. I don't plan on pulling for her though because I'm not a fan of hypercarry team setups in general, though I heard she's supposed to be break effect focused now? My major focus now is follow-up attacks and DoT setups, not sure if I really want to invest in a break effect team yet.

On the note of the next new character after Firefly...

image.png

I really, REALLY dislike the Xianzhou/Luofu dress code. Sure, Ruan Mei and Jade are highly implied to have their origins tied to that faction, but I doubt either of them have actually been on a Xianzhou ship in a long ass time.

I remember Chinese players actually complained about this in regards to Ruan Mei's design, because they were expecting badass female scientist since she's one of the major people behind the Simulated Universe project and that she's a Genius Society member which is a different faction entirely, but her design is almost indistinguishable from all of the other Xianzhou women. And now we have Jade who is a fucking IPC Stoneheart.

I don't really have an issue with most of the female characters in HSR, just the very concept of the Xianzhou dress code making almost all female characters with ties to that faction very samey design-wise.

(I'm still pulling for Jade anyway because I really enjoy the concept of FuA and the IPC as a whole seems to be themed around it, and I also pulled Ruan Mei and plan to go for Screwllum simply because of their role in the Simulated Universe project.)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Legit i dont expect it to be talked about when it releases beside some stupid comments about how it got "robbed" when GOTY talks happen at the end of the year (there is no way it will ever be considered), and of course when any sales numbers appear and grifters try to make stupid tweets and videos claiming the "woke has begun to be destroyed" or some shit
If Wu Kong actually releases and is great then it probably will put a wrench into any chances SB has.

Chuds were also hyping up HL to be goty last year, but that was early before all the major studio releases. By the end of the year, it was barely a footnote, and chuds long stopped caring about it and that's with it being one of the highest selling games of the year.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Limbus Company has been feeding me this Season.

Wuthering Heights Chief Butler Outis
jJQmMIm.png

NZB9kol.png

Wuthering Heights Butler Faust
y1mysyv.png

fKFm4bR.png

Edgar Family Chief Butler Ryoshu
lTM1MdJ.png

6qTjqnB.png

Edgar Family Butler Ishmael
Md86O1q.png

gO0Wz5B.png

The best part is all of their move sets are ridiculously great.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
That's a Project Moon game, right? They're the dev who gave into Korea's gamergate and fired a woman when a characters costume was deemed "not hot enough", despite it not being her design, and used a tweet she retweeted that was against women being filmed without consent as "evidence" she was a feminist who needed to be fired.
Have they walked that all back?

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
That's a Project Moon game, right? They're the dev who gave into Korea's gamergate and fired a woman when a characters costume was deemed "not hot enough", despite it not being her design, and used a tweet she retweeted that was against women being filmed without consent as "evidence" she was a feminist who needed to be fired.
Have they walked that all back?
65khOZs.png

Of course they haven't (publicly) walked it back, almost no game company (indie or otherwise) of any size in SK is going to do that because the misogynists have nothing better to do and the social/political climate doesn't help. Yes, the woman contract artist that was being harassed is no longer working with the company. It was initially reported as a firing per Project Moon's president and then walked back. (Probably because he fucked up bigtime from a legal perspective, a union was involved. Also you don't really "fire" a contractor but I'm no expert on SK labor laws.) It fucking sucks and I will forever detest the company's president for it. The tweet the misogynistic netizen mob used as a "gotcha" was deleted and made when the artist was still a teenager. Way before she worked with Project Moon. I've talked about this before in the thread, the situation was fucked six ways to Sunday and primary sources (in English) are almost non-existent.

No, what's going on in South Korea is not equivalent to Gamergate because that's incredibly Anglosphere centric and ignoring the cultural issues fanning the flames of what's going on over there. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't fucking bad, because it apparently very much is so and driven by misogyny at many levels of society including politicians such as the President and his party.

Last edited:

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Jesus, had no idea it was so blatantly in their politics, my only exposure was this incident and Stellar Blade. That's fucked up!

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, had no idea it was so blatantly in their politics, my only exposure was this incident and Stellar Blade. That's fucked up!
Yep, I think there was a thread on here when the current President of South Korea won office. Anti-feminism was part of his platform and the platform of his party, which naturally is hard right.

Last edited:

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
President. South Korea has a presidential system. The president holds executive power and is both head of state and head of government. South Korea does not have a prime minister.

image.png

I really, REALLY dislike the Xianzhou/Luofu dress code. Sure, Ruan Mei and Jade are highly implied to have their origins tied to that faction, but I doubt either of them have actually been on a Xianzhou ship in a long ass time.

I remember Chinese players actually complained about this in regards to Ruan Mei's design, because they were expecting badass female scientist since she's one of the major people behind the Simulated Universe project and that she's a Genius Society member which is a different faction entirely, but her design is almost indistinguishable from all of the other Xianzhou women. And now we have Jade who is a fucking IPC Stoneheart.

I don't really have an issue with most of the female characters in HSR, just the very concept of the Xianzhou dress code making almost all female characters with ties to that faction very samey design-wise.
For how Chinese women (the ones who play Star Rail anyway) react to various characters, I tend to look at Douban: https://www.douban.com/group/735784/ Douban is an entertainment media site whose userbase is primarily (but not exclusively) women, and the discussion groups mainly consists of fans discussing the title, so I think it is more reliable than looking at Weibo (Chinese equivalent to Twitter) or NGA (dominated by men).

This is the topic on Jade's reveal: https://www.douban.com/group/topic/304984208
And this is the topic on Ruan Mei's reveal: https://www.douban.com/group/topic/297065761

The reactions are... quite different. Almost all the posts about Ruan Mei criticize her costume for being disgusting sexy underwear. Particular attention is paid to the sheer black silk on her belly. By contrast, most of the posts about Jade praise her for being a beautiful older sister in a pretty dress. Some of the posts criticize the black lace bra, but they are usually embedded in in a post that overall likes the dress despite the flaws. It is not because they are different sets of users either. The top voted post said "翡翠姐好看捏,mhy明明能正常做衣服" ("Jade is so nice looking. Mihoyo can design normal looking dress after all")

There are multiple reasons for these sentiments. One is that most of the Chinese fanbase is looking at the artwork on phones, so some details are harder to notice. For example, one user confessed to not realizing Fischl had a line of sheer black silk running down her belly several years into playing Genshin.

But one big reason (and not a great one) is that Ruan Mei is wearing a Xianzhou dress, while Jade is not. The Xianzhou dresses--as well as the characters who wear them--have various details taken from traditional Chinese culture that makes them quite obvious to Chinese users. The most commonly shared element seems to be the button connecting two sides of the torso. In Ruan Mei's artwork, it is that horizontal gold colored thing above her belly. But there are various other elements, mostly in the details and patterns on their dresses, like the spirals that represent clouds and waves on a lot of sleeves and trims. There are a lot of supporting elements that signal "this is a Xianzhou character". In Ruan Mei's case, there are the bamboo curtails, the cups, and (of course) the ruan. Jade does not have any of those elements. Jade is being judged as a confident exotic foreign beauty, while Ruan Mei is being judged as a woman wearing a traditional dress that has been sexualized for NEET incels.

It is certainly a double standard, and one that ought not be applied. But I wish people would stop referring to the clothes on Black Swan, Jade, etc as Xianzhou dresses just because they are all highly sexualized.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
鈴蘭の剣 Suzuran no Tsurugi/Suzuran no Ken

View: https://streamable.com/b20tku

FSC style tactic RPG...

Some armor design are fanservice, some are not~~

The faction
GL6gbKBbwAATr_P

GL6gacxbQAAdiqE

GL6gZhpbMAA2Q2L

GL6gX-Ua8AAXFV0

But then there are full armor knight
bq330k37evt6iwp4tls2zldjqiuaozv.png

9oyqlemal653afkt041qwzhjc55me9h.png

nkp9h4mttdyt0wld4ojrvsf6kzleir1.png

2v1jbkst870z3o1ksuazrgh6sb2vltk.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHXFXvgQTA
store.steampowered.com

Steam:鈴蘭の剣:この平和な世界のために

クラシカルなピクセルアートに最新の3D技術を融合させることで、懐かしさとともに、最新のゲームエンジンが生み出す新たに進化したタクティクスRPG。中世を思わせる架空の世界を舞台に、傭兵団の団長としてチームを作り上げ、大局を見据えて多彩な戦略と戦術を駆使して戦い、この世界を変えましょう
soc.xd.com

「鈴蘭の剣」|進化するドット絵タクティクスRPG

スマートフォン&PC向けタクティクスゲーム「鈴蘭の剣:この平和な世界のために」の公式サイトです。2023年リリース予定に向けてただいま鋭意開発中!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
- Does Eve have an actual, definable character arc?
- How are the other women treated? In terms of character and scenario writing?
- Just how bad is the heteronormativity? AKA The Adam and Eve factor
EVE has very little character development. She's a hero and wants to help people, but that's about it. Other women are 'treated' OK, in that there's no overt sexualisation or harassment aimed at them from other characters. They all have outfits/bodies like EVE though, complete with jiggle. Or they are super cutesy and childlike.

As is often the case with these games, outside of their appearance and outfits, the games are almost entirely devoid of sex as a concept. Nothing in the story or dialogue deals with sex or attraction.

what is the proportion to men and women dying (just a rough feels metric is ok)
are more modest costumes unlocked later in the game (i know the game has costumes)
Does Eve have agency throughout the story (i.e. is it like Metroid other m in regards to Sames having to follow orders coming from men)
A lot of death is offscreen, but a lot of quests have you coming across dead bodies. I'd say the majority of big dramatic death scenes are women, however.

It's kind of a roll of the dice when you'll get good vs bad outfits as it depends on what quests you do and where you explore etc. It took a few hours for me to get out of the default one though.

I would say by and large EVE has no agency, she does what other people tell her although it's not always men.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
The game is reviewing well which means people are going to become even more insufferable. I've already seen posts about it proving "the haters" wrong. Why do you think they hate it Kevin hmm? Why do you think that is?

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The review thread already providing a tipping point for adding at least a couple of people to the ever-expanding Ignore List.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The game is reviewing well which means people are going to become even more insufferable. I've already seen posts about it proving "the haters" wrong. Why do you think they hate it Kevin hmm? Why do you think that is?

Goddammit I hate the "prove the haters wrong" shit, in general but especially in gaming.

"Hey this game has some deeply problematic elements and the devs are on some real chud shit."
"YEAH WELL THE GAME HAS A 90 ON METACRITIC SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT?!"
"....Okay so the well-reviewed game still has deeply problematic elements and the devs are still on chud shit? What is the disconnect here?"
"THIS GAME HAS 90 METACRITIC SO YOU'RE A LYING HATER."
"............Huh?"

Like at best it's a blatant appeal to popularity that isn't actually coherent, basically the logical equivalent of this:

FqaYP6jXoAEdWS6

And at worst it's just blatant bad faith bullying.

NicoNicoRose

Dec 9, 2020
Portland, OR

I saw Polygon's this morning, which I had hoped would at least honestly deal with the issue, but nope. This is as far as I can tell the sum total of the discussion therein:

While Stellar Blade does feature tight and sometimes revealing clothing, and its protagonist EVE boobing breastily all over the shop, it's as safe and sexless as the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yes, the fan art and fanfic will be fantastic, but there's no fan service on display here.

Like...I feel like I'm losing grip on reality. All of the ludicrous jiggle physics and male gaze camerawork are apparently "not fan service," so it's okay! Moving on! Combat good!

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
I saw Polygon's this morning, which I had hoped would at least honestly deal with the issue, but nope. This is as far as I can tell the sum total of the discussion therein:

Like...I feel like I'm losing grip on reality. All of the ludicrous jiggle physics and male gaze camerawork are apparently "not fan service," so it's okay! Moving on! Combat good!

That is WILD coming from Polygon of all places.