• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I got bored about halfway through that video of the outfits lol. Some are fine, some are cute, many are gross, many are hideous.

But oh my god, the way she is standing in the menu screen looks so uncomfortable. It's like she's slightly bending forward to thrust her boobs out, and also bending back to thrust her butt out, all the time. I was actually physically uncomfortable watching hahaha. That poor plastic woman 😭

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
47SgxaF.gif

200w.gif
200w.gif

This is so lame and obvious lol

I honestly love a good fashion component, and a lot of the outfits are great in theory, but it's cheezed up soooooo much it's honestly just funny.
That camera work wants you to look, or it'll make you look.

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
edit: lol snip, fair enough that we only need it once in the thread.

200w.gif
200w.gif

I honestly love the fashion component, and a lot of the outfits are great in theory, but cheezed up soooooo much it's honestly just funny.

That one slow mo at the end going straight into her butthole lmao

Last edited:

StayHandsome

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
A few of Eve's outfits are pretty cute I have to admit. Most of them are trash, but the ones that resemble real life clothes, like the grungy denim jacket w/ crop top and the one with the high waisted jeans and sailor blouse are nice. Doesn't fix her design, or the camera work though, and it certainly isn't turning me on whether I buy the game or not. Just commenting on the fashion.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I have this online friend who I thought was pretty progressive, and we used to be really close. But we started to drift apart over the last few years, and lately every now and then he's been making questionable (to me) comments. And now with all this Stellar Blade controversy he has been basically saying that any guy who is critical of the sexualization or sexism in the game is merely white-knighting. He doesn't think men should have any critical feelings about it, as if it's not their place to have an opinion because they aren't the victims or targets of sexism. I'm finding it very disappointing, I've lost some respect for him. This seemed like a good place to vent about it, I hope that's okay.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Edited to remove the obnoxious gif.

I honestly love the fashion component, and a lot of the outfits are great in theory, but cheezed up soooooo much it's honestly just funny.
All I can think about is getting road rash in places where you really would not want to have that.

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I have this online friend who I thought was pretty progressive, and we used to be really close. But we started to drift apart over the last few years, and lately every now and then he's been making questionable (to me) comments. And now with all this Stellar Blade controversy he has been basically saying that any guy who is critical of the sexualization or sexism in the game is merely white-nighting. He doesn't think men should have any critical feelings about it, as if it's not their place to have an opinion because they aren't the victims or targets of sexism. I'm finding it very disappointing, I've lost some respect for him. This seemed like a good place to vent about it, I hope that's okay.

I would sever him but I kind of stopped talking to random men online for a long time now. I just life is hard and it's just constantly depressing news.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I would sever him but I kind of stopped talking to random men online for a long time now. I just life is hard and it's just constantly depressing news.
I don't feel it has gotten to that point (or at least I'm not ready to go there), but I definitely have stopped really having conversations with him. I feel like that has been a mutual change.

StayHandsome

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Personally I feel cutting people off because they have differing opinions (even if those opinions are regressive or handful) is only going to ensure that you surround yourself with people who don't cause you to challenge your own beliefs and morals, and maintain this trajectory of an increasingly polarized social dynamic.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Personally I feel cutting people off because they have differing opinions (even if those opinions are regressive or handful) is only going to ensure that you surround yourself with people who don't cause you to challenge your own beliefs and morals, and maintain this trajectory of an increasingly polarized social dynamic.

I'm a pretty happy person nowadays but thanks I guess.

Aug 31, 2019
IDK, I've done the same with someone who became a Peterson fan. Like you try a little bit, but it's not my responsibility to either bring them out of it or subject myself to it. There is a difference between listening to alternative, fresh perspectives that might challenge you, and entertaining tired bigoted ones.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
That is a really good point. Even when I was arguing with him about this he made an observation that I was being hypocritical by criticizing the outfits in Stellar Blade while having Dead or Alive Volleyball videos on my YouTube channel. I acknowledged he had made a good point about that and I took down those videos. They were just as tasteless as Stellar Blade, and did not reflect who I am today and what I want to be putting out there.

Sometimes I feel that certain people I know (online) like this guy I mentioned are getting somehow radicalized, and I'm sure that they think the same of me but in the opposite direction. Sometimes I stop and question whether I am going too far overboard or not with certain views I have. I don't think I am. It's frustrating. I recently got accused of not thinking for myself just because I have progressive views, views which the person accusing me said they share. Go figure. I recently quit my old forum over that kind of thing.

I haven't been able to say or write any of this out before, but I think about it all the time. Getting this off my chest to some extent now is a bit of a relief.

Oct 28, 2017
My take is a little bit more like, we have to hear these "differing opinions" everywhere. People at work, family, news, and different political parties are pushing them in our faces all the time. Heck, you run into it even in so-called progressive places online a lot even when it is "to dunk on it". So when it comes to who you choose to hang out with, why on earth would you choose to hang out with someone who believes that (insert minority here) isn't human?

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Humans and tribalism, name a more iconic duo.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I cut out people who try and disguise their sexist drivel as "opinions". And any other regressive and harmful "opinions" that are just thinly veiled sexism, racism, and bigotry.

Apr 17, 2018
Venting time.
Sorry in advance.

Italy's most popular vg website, Everyeye, has published their review, giving the game a shocking 7,5:

https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/re...esclusiva-ps5-sa-farsi-amare-tutto-63745.html

Once a beacon of independent gaming journalism in my country, Everyeye devolved, over the years, into your typical 40yo male gamer-centered environment: From publishing "news" consisting of reposted instagram pictures of attractive female cosplayers, to promoting "anti-woke" and pseudo-fascist content openly, all the way to moderating the discourse in their comments sections defending their misogynistic and homophobic userbase against any claim or accusation.

I worked for them briefly years ago, and promptly left after some LGBTQ+ friendly content I wrote was pulled from the site and one of the editors gave me the "we don't want to be political, we only deal with entertainment" talk. This was before all the gross stuff they started doing afterwards.
Ever since then, for years, I made it my mission to call them (and their users) out on their toxicity, and I stopped only recently, after causing them to deactivate the comment section of the only LGBTQ+ friendly article they published during last Pride Month (a retrospective they commissioned to an LGBTQ+ freelance writer. This person is not part of their newsroom, and worked for them a total of two times, always during PM, to write specific articles of the sort for them, without ever being actually hired).
Despite still believing in not letting them get away with their bullshit, after a lengthy and completely useless DM fight with the chief editor I decided to stop there: my actions had provoked this guy into eliminating the comment section altogether, taking away the only way for the (few) other outraged users to have their voices heard. My efforts had caused diminishing returns. It was enough.

Flash forward to today: imagine the shock in finding out that they've ranked Stellar Blade lower than the vast majority of websites out there (especially in Italy).
This, together with the massive amount of comments under said review, tricked me into believing something had changed.
I was obviously wrong.

Further inspection reveals that the review avoids the topic entirely, dismissing it with what must be the single most infuriatingly hypocritical statement they ever released in the name of "staying apolitical":

"Sorvolando sulle sterili e insensate polemiche sollevate dal pubblico a causa delle generose rotondità di EVE"

Which roughly translates to:

"Let's overlook whatever sterile and meaningless controversy the public might have raised concerning EVE's generous curves"

To add insult to injury, the comment section to the review is indeed massive because of outrage, but not the kind I hoped for: it is filled to the brim with gamers complaining about the "low" score for a game "better than Sekiro", speculating that "the wokes got Everyeye too" because the score is under 8, and trolling each other over the game being a Sony exclusive.

I know it was stupid to go check, but it got me worse than I thought.
Also, I am sorry for bringing something absolutely personal and tangential to the topic, but I needed to vent, and there is apparently nobody else out there who cares about this. This thread seemed like the safest place to do it online.

So, thank you for this space, and thanks to those who will read and share a moment of anger and frustration with me.

EDIT: i just read a comment asking the mods to ban anyone calling the game's enjoyers sexist, and I just can't anymore.
Italy is a fucking fascist backwater country and I am happier every day to have left it.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

I... Erm... I can understand and even appreciate some sexy shots of a main character's butt from time to time but... Holy shit is it ridiculous... It doesn't make any sense in a narrative point of vue, obviously, but even for showing the action the only thing clear here is the butt. XD

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Venting time.
Sorry in advance.

Italy's most popular vg website, Everyeye, has published their review, giving the game a shocking 7,5:

https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/re...esclusiva-ps5-sa-farsi-amare-tutto-63745.html

Once a beacon of independent gaming journalism in my country, Everyeye devolved, over the years, into your typical 40yo male gamer-centered environment: From publishing "news" consisting of reposted instagram pictures of attractive female cosplayers, to promoting "anti-woke" and pseudo-fascist content openly, all the way to moderating the discourse in their comments sections defending their misogynistic and homophobic userbase against any claim or accusation.

I worked for them briefly years ago, and promptly left after some LGBTQ+ friendly content I wrote was pulled from the site and one of the editors gave me the "we don't want to be political, we only deal with entertainment" talk. This was before all the gross stuff they started doing afterwards.
Ever since then, for years, I made it my mission to call them (and their users) out on their toxicity, and I stopped only recently, after causing them to deactivate the comment section of the only LGBTQ+ friendly article they published during last Pride Month (a retrospective they commissioned to an LGBTQ+ freelance writer. This person is not part of their newsroom, and worked for them a total of two times, always during PM, to write specific articles of the sort for them, without ever being actually hired).
Despite still believing in not letting them get away with their bullshit, after a lengthy and completely useless DM fight with the chief editor I decided to stop there: my actions had provoked this guy into eliminating the comment section altogether, taking away the only way for the (few) other outraged users to have their voices heard. My efforts had caused diminishing returns. It was enough.

Flash forward to today: imagine the shock in finding out that they've ranked Stellar Blade lower than the vast majority of websites out there (especially in Italy).
This, together with the massive amount of comments under said review, tricked me into believing something had changed.
I was obviously wrong.

Further inspection reveals that the review avoids the topic entirely, dismissing it with what must be the single most infuriatingly hypocritical statement they ever released in the name of "staying apolitical":

To add insult to injury, the comment section to the review is indeed massive because of outrage, but not the kind I hoped for: it is filled to the brim with gamers complaining about the "low" score for a game "better than Sekiro", speculating that "the wokes got Everyeye too" because the score is under 8, and trolling each other over the game being a Sony exclusive.

Also, I am sorry for bringing something absolutely personal and tangential to the topic, but I needed to vent, and there is apparently nobody else out there who cares about this. This thread seemed like the safest place to do it online.

So, thank you for this space, and thanks to those who will read and share a moment of anger and frustration with me.

EDIT: i just read a comment asking the mods to ban anyone calling the game's enjoyers sexist, and I just can't anymore.
Italy is a fucking fascist backwater country and I am happier every day to have left it.
Thank you for sharing this and it's sad to see non-English speaking places also get infected by this culture war regressive garbage. But as you said Italy is getting to be fascist with the prime minister now, so the bigoted white men are primed to come out with their true selves.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I have this online friend who I thought was pretty progressive, and we used to be really close. But we started to drift apart over the last few years, and lately every now and then he's been making questionable (to me) comments. And now with all this Stellar Blade controversy he has been basically saying that any guy who is critical of the sexualization or sexism in the game is merely white-nighting. He doesn't think men should have any critical feelings about it, as if it's not their place to have an opinion because they aren't the victims or targets of sexism. I'm finding it very disappointing, I've lost some respect for him. This seemed like a good place to vent about it, I hope that's okay.

I can't blame you for being disappointed. It's true that you shouldn't speak over others, but that doesn't prevent you from speaking out. You can and should still use your voice to direct others towards those affected and just... listen to ways you can be an ally, really, especially if you don't know what to do. If he won't engage, he should just be honest about it instead of wrapping that up in something else like this.

Venting time.
Sorry in advance.

I was obviously wrong.

You really did your best to stand for what's right and I hope that venting gave you some reprieve in a really dejecting situation. So much cowardice on the part of the outlet in question.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
shaking-my-head-sigh.gif

Spend time designing and modelling a detailed outfit only only for the camera to spend half its time, almost literally, inside her ass. Whyyy 😩 (I know why but whyyy).

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 27, 2017
At least the Stellar Blade fiasco confirms what most of us already knew in that chuds actually don't mind studios blatantly pandering to a demographic as long as they are the said demographic in question.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
People in that thread shitting on Aloy… the vibes are rancid babes!! And I'm not like a huge Aloy fan but… in a Stellar Blade thread of all fucking places? Really?

Feb 24, 2018
Out of curiosity, how many women reviewed Stellar Blade?

I've been avoiding talking about Stellar Blade, don't have much interest in the game besides sigh at the obvious of it (and learning about the behaviour of the higher guaranteed I'd never play it). It's such an odd thing because I never see discussion of it besides ERA and coming across random chuds.

Don't know if it's true for Stellar Blade but one justification that I always side eye is the classic "Support the devs". It sounds nice but nearly every time I've seen it used it's either to shame people with big issues with the game (whether it be transphobia, sexism, racism in the game etc) into shutting up, self-justifying buy from a company you know is problematic while acting like you have the moral high ground and is just silly. People don't buy games all the time for many reasons, including the people saying it, how is that different to not buying from a company for moral and social reasons?

As for people discussing reviewer blind spots when it comes to sexism and objectification. One of my big experiences with that was the launch of Fallout 4, hardly any of the reviewers discussed the treatment of the women Player character (the fact she was sidelined in the intro like getting little to no backstory, the second PC to appear and stuck to the side while Man PC got to say the famous Lines, got an entire intro video worth of backstory, appears front and centre; hell it becomes very clear the game was written with the male PC in mind when I get called "he"), partly because hardly any women got review copies of the game. Like the MarySue seemed like the only place I remember bringing it up and that was after launch.

Like nowhere was discussing it so I made a thread about it in GameFAQ (Big mistake I realize) and then promptly got banned like an hour later for "trolling" while threads about how the Women PC breast were too small were massively popular.

Even today, it's very clear both Bethesda and the community treat Fallout 4 Woman PC as secondary. Any discussion of her I see talk about her as the one who dies in the prologue, as an NPC and Bethesda never even acknowledge the critique and always treated her as secondary. Then again that's partly par for the course for Bethesda, like they always seem to hide the fact you can create you character in their games like how Skyrim, even decades after launch, they always market as if some boing white Nord boy is the "real" main protagonist of the game (whom I've never actually seen anyone play as).

Bioware was very similar to this, whether making it canon (to their Star Wars stuff) Revan was a white man or hyperfocused on Maleshep. Hell I remember when all the marketing for Dragon Age Origins acted as if this guy was the "real" protag of the game:
latest

Which I don't even think it's even possible to make the character look like that in game. And no, I will never find it suss that the two Player characters that were canonized as women (The Exile and amusingly the Warden from Origins, confirmed as a Dalish Elven woman) were then promptly killed off soon or immediately after that was revealed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Out of curiosity, how many women reviewed Stellar Blade?
I didn't look across all the reviews as the consensus pretty much mirrored my own thoughts off the back of the demo but most were written by men. I know about Eurogamer and Polygon when it comes to ones written by women, there might be others. Just answering the question as well, there's parts of each I disagree with.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Differing viewpoints is fine, but not when it leads one to tolerate intolerance. Cutting people off for being shitheels is different from cutting people off for having valid but differing opinions. Their views aren't worth entertaining.

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
Don't know if it's true for Stellar Blade but one justification that I always side eye is the classic "Support the devs".

Me too, me too.

As far as I am concerned, "Support the devs" is a rallying cry by certain people that mostly serves as a fig leaf. The moment a game has a non-white main character, suddenly the tune by the *same people* is the complete opposite, as seen, say, with the attempt by this lot to boycott ZAU because "Sweet Baby Inc". You don't see "support the devs!" for studios with marginalized creators anywhere near as much. I didn't see it for the devs of Signalis for example, nor for the devs of Unsighted. It's usually just a rallying cry to defend a game concerning sexist or racist portrayals.

Maybe I'm too grumpy lately though, but :/

Paragon

May 5, 2018
There's this reoccurring idea I've seen expressed in the discourse and even a few reviews now about how unfortunate it is that poor, old Stellar Blade got "dragged in" to a culture war. I have to admit, the idea that Steller Blade got "dragged" into a culture war is kinda bizarre to me since, if anything, the game's marketing has very much leaned into the whole "come look at the sexy doll" vibes. Hell, the official twitter account literally put out a self-congratulating tweet the other day about how the game was going to be uncensored in all markets, and I think it would be very naive to believe they made that tweet not knowing what kind of reactions it would inspire.

It's very hard for me to buy the idea of this game as a "victim" of the culture war, when if anything the game's design and marketing are inviting these kinds of reactions rather than trying to steer away from them.

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023
<silly gif>

I honestly love a good fashion component, and a lot of the outfits are great in theory, but it's cheezed up soooooo much it's honestly just funny.
Rolling Stone wasn't even exaggerating. The camerawork makes this feel like a raunchy comedy lol. It's like a mediocre seasonal ecchi anime turned into a game with a massive budget but the same writing and direction.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
No.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Me too, me too.

As far as I am concerned, "Support the devs" is a rallying cry by certain people that mostly serves as a fig leaf. The moment a game has a non-white main character, suddenly the tune by the *same people* is the complete opposite, as seen, say, with the attempt by this lot to boycott ZAU because "Sweet Baby Inc". You don't see "support the devs!" for studios with marginalized creators anywhere near as much. I didn't see it for the devs of Signalis for example, nor for the devs of Unsighted. It's usually just a rallying cry to defend a game concerning sexist or racist portrayals.

Maybe I'm too grumpy lately though, but :/

Triple A devs making a bit exclusive or having backing from a megacorp/publisher: SUPPORT THE DEVS
Indie studio with a handful of staff: crickets

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Rolling Stone wasn't even exaggerating. The camerawork makes this feel like a raunchy comedy lol. It's like a mediocre seasonal ecchi anime turned into a game with a massive budget but the same writing and direction.
It's a Trojan horse of sexism. Package it in a game people want and isn't bad, and they'll excuse anything.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023

The thing that really disappoints me is that even the outfits that aren't as bad STILL have you forced into heels or having the illusion of heels. Oh, and how much she's thrusting her chest and ass out! There were a few cute dresses that just looked absolutely weird in the costume menu because of how they posed her and they end up looking weirdly lumpy as a result.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if Dice is already planning on it but I would really like to hear her opinion or even create a similar thread to the ones she created for each FF7 character but this time discussing all of the Ever Crisis costumes.
We've now reached to a point that we have many costumes for each character so it would be fun times I think
Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis gear

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The ridiculous nerd fervor centered around Stellar Blade is really wearing me down. I've had an extremely rough month (work bullshit mostly), and watching people all around the internet, including games journalists who should know better, dance around and celebrate the success of that game is burning my candle down to the absolute bottom of the metaphor that I'm too tired to complete.

Just awful. I thought the industry was learning and growing, but apparently all you have to do is pretend a genre isn't being served (seriously, how many melee action games have come out in the past year? like at least a dozen, if not more) and stick a Sony logo on the box and people will line up to gleefully excuse anything, even lining up hand in hand with fucking GamerGate to do so.

I'm so fucking exhausted, folks.