Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
QESI-GB_POP-GROUP_3859R-1-6f886fa.jpg

This show launched last week and it is hands-down the most meaningful comedy+reality TV show I have seen. If you like anything HG TV, you'll love the amazing fixer-uppers in this home and lifestyle improvement series on Netflix. But what's really special about this reboot compared to its mid-2000s predecessor is how positive and holistic it is to both improving the Hero's entire life AND representing REAL gay men as positive role models in more than just stereotypes like fashion. The Fab Five here are hilarious, easy to watch, and show how gay people are completely normal and have a lot of offer to society. It even touches on some sensitive topics (homosexuality and religion, police brutality, and more) very tastefully. I can't recommend it enough. It also takes place in Georgia in some really "Trumpy" homes and neighborhoods, and you see the opportunity for some really positive gay role models entering communities and leaving them impacted for the better.

The premise: five gay men (The Fab Five) representing five aspects of life (culture, design, fashion, diet, and grooming/self-care) are invited by friends/family to change a person's life for the better. The original series was more loud about its fashion and its stereotypes, but here, the approach is more holistic. The episodes range from an old man with lupus who never leaves his house but wants to impress his lover, to a low-esteem comedian who lives in his parents' basement trying to move forward in life. The Fab Five enter and they don't just coach them on how to dress better, they get to the root of why this person is the way they are, who they want to be, and how they can help them get there. After they remodel the subject's life, they leave them to what they taught them and watch to see what they do once they're on their own. They're such a naturally hilarious and engaging group to watch, and every episode is feel-good, engrossing reality TV that feels meaningful toward positive, accepting LGBT relations.

I binged the whole season in one weekend. I'm excited for season 2! And I want Tan's salt and pepper hair so badly.

https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/tv/2018/02/08/queer-eye-jonathan-van-ness/amp/

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
But what's really special about this reboot compared to its mid-2000s predecessor is how positive and holistic it is to both improving the Hero's entire life AND representing REAL gay men as positive role models in more than just stereotypes like fashion.

But that's exactly what the show is about? Why is it a bunch of gay men that have the secret to becoming a well coifed man that'll cause women to fall into your sex trap?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife watched 2 episodes. Said it's not as good as the original.
I don't know though, I could be sold on it. The bits I saw looked kind of entertaining.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
But that's exactly what the show is about? Why is it a bunch of gay men that have the secret to becoming a well coifed man that'll cause women to fall into your sex trap?

First: the approach isn't to just help a man get laid. Hell, one of the episodes is for a father of 6 and his wife. The episodes are about helping men who are often stuck in depression, disfunction or disorganization, or lack of esteem move forward in life by taking a holistic approach to what's going on, even remodeling their houses to fit their needs and teaching them how to grow into being confident, functional men. A lot of it is almost like counseling/therapy.

Second: the F5 are good what they each do, not because they're gay. But they all happen to be gay. One is very effeminate, another is more masculine, one dresses very stylishly, the other wears more basic clothing, and they're all different, which disrupts the prejudices people have built up, but they're gay, and they're excellent life coaches. And they're real people. The fashion guy, Tan, was pursued by Netflix. The rest auditioned. They're not playing a character they aren't IRL AFAIK.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing I like is the fashion is very accessible and tailored to who the person wants to be. In one episode, they literally shop at Target because it's the only clothing store in the city, since the episodes take place with people who live in Georgia town. Makes it feel down to earth and not just some supermodel budget.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything was going good... until i hit the episode with the fat MAGA dude (skipped that episode in a heartbeat)... still not done watching the season but i am really enjoying it... just please... no more MAGA creeps!

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished 1st episode after this thread. Took me a moment to warm up to it, but not very long. Fiance really enjoyed too. I almost kinda wish they didn't follow Tom so much after the Fab 5 left. Seemed too intimate and personal to follow Abby back to his place. Maybe I am weird. But yeah....good show.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the trailer and it looks enjoyable, I think your thread has encouraged me to pop it on.

One question though: Hg tv?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Home and Garden TV.. its on basic cable in the states

The new show sounds good, will check it out op

FtheQueen

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing says rock bottom like when 5 gay guys are called in by your friends to make you get your shit together.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You sold me on giving it a shot

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It's really a lovely show. The Fab Five are so good at cutting to the core of their hosts and trying to help them love themselves again. It really made me think about how I could stand to work harder to treat myself better and feel better about myself.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They lost me with that bullshit Trump voter cop episode. We need to stop making these people seem relatable or "good".

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 is particular was really touching.

My one criticism is the food expert can recommend solutions that sound great but also sound much more expensive for the average Georgia middle class or lower middle class resident (such as driving out to an organic shop). I hate to say it, but if you aren't recommending ingredients to buy at Wal Mart, the folks are probably not going to change the way they eat. There's a reason that one guy in one of the earlier episodes mentioned taking his date to Wal Mart - it's kinda all the rural folks got to do unless they're willing to drive way out to a city like Atlanta.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
They lost me with that bullshit Trump voter cop episode. We need to stop making these people seem relatable or "good".

I think the point was just to demonstrate an example where people at odds (a black gay man vs a Georgia Trump voting cop) learn something about each other beyond what they assumed, and not necessarily a "both sides" dog whistle.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 is particular was really touching.

My one criticism is the food expert can recommend solutions that sound great but also sound much more expensive for the average Georgia middle class or lower middle class resident (such as driving out to an organic shop). I hate to say it, but if you aren't recommending ingredients to buy at Wal Mart, the folks are probably not going to change the way they eat. There's a reason that one guy in one of the earlier episodes mentioned taking his date to Wal Mart - it's kinda all the rural folks got to do unless they're willing to drive way out to a city like Atlanta.

Yeah, my one criticism is that the diet guy, upon reflection, is the least impressive of the Fab 5. I'm not the biggest fan of his recommendations all the time (like when he recommended natural sugars). The others are on-point almost all the time, though.

And yeah, this show also made me re-evaluate parts of my life that I let slip and I can do better at!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Never watched the original. I've watched a couple of episodes. I think some of us "nerds" and/or single dudes in their 30s will relate to episode 2. I like the positivity of the show and that they don't just emphasize the superficial aspects.

Thanks for the heads up on The Trumper episode...I'll be skipping that one.

I can't stop seeing John Mayer when Antoni is on screen haha

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I was excited to show my mom this when you were talking about it being like HGTV but then I read that they were all gay. My mom is one of those religious types. Maybe I'll give it a shot myself though, sounds inspiring

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
What's your favorite episode?
What's your favorite F5 member?

I really like the father of 6 episode. It hit home because of the religious topic. I nearly teared up when he thanked the Fab 5 for changing his life.

My favorite star is Jonathan. He is HILARIOUS and fabulous.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
the long haired gay is incredible
He really annoyed me for ten minutes... and then he grew on me. He's great.

I want the clothing guys hair though. Even if I could only pull it off half as well it'd be amazing.

Ah, I was excited to show my mom this when you were talking about it being like HGTV but then I read that they were all gay. My mom is one of those religious types. Maybe I'll give it a shot myself though, sounds inspiring
I'd say if that was the case you should definitely show it to her!

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan is remarkably funny. Him shouting, "he's plating the SHIT out of that" made me laugh so hard in episode 3.

I feel like vs the original the show is a lot more...explicit. Granted it's 15 years later and it's netflix but it's not quite as "please like us" as last time.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The food guy looks so much like Christian Bale, that's it's distracting. They even have the same speaking qwerks.

The MAGA one at first I was like wtf, but it turned into a really good episode.

Also me and my wife watched all the episodes in 1 day, and I REALLY hated the original. I think all these dudes are very likable.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I've liked the episodes I've seen. The black guy and the long haired guy are the best. I forget that the cooking guy exist every episode.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My wife and I watched the first two episodes yesterday. It was actually really touching stories and I like the cast a lot. We will be watching more!

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Where did the gay accent come from?
is it something they just decide to do?

There's a Netflix documentary on this. My limited understanding is that it's people learning how to talk from their surroundings and role models. Some straight men who grow up mostly around women develop the accent you are talking about. Some gay men don't have the accent at all. I have a little bit of an effeminate inflection with my words and I was raised by mostly women. Women English-speakers have inflections in their words at different points than men, so the accent can develop either by surroundings or by association with a role model group. I'm not a speech therapist or linguist so I'm not an authority on it at all, I'm not even sure.

All I know is Jonathan and his long hair are amazing and hilarious.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 left a sour taste in my mouth, mostly on the producers' part. The fact that they planned this pullover and specifically had the black guy drive the car is gross. All so they could have a feel-good, heartfelt moment near the end of the episode, I guess. The fact that they were willing to play with Karamo's emotions and fears for some dumb joke shows where their morals are.

"Haha, you totally thought you were being racially-profiled. It's so funny!"

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watching the first episode right now. Not bad. Long haired guy is hilarious, almost like it's a full on flamboyant act

Tom seems like a sweethear

Episode 3 left a sour taste in my mouth, mostly on the producers' part. The fact that they planned this pullover and specifically had the black guy drive the car is gross. All so they could have a feel-good, heartfelt moment near the end of the episode, I guess. The fact that they were willing to play with Karamo's emotions and fears for some dumb joke shows where their morals are.

That's fucked.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know my mom loved it at least. I thought the trailer was good but I'm still midway through Altered Carbon and other shit.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started watching this last night. Let's just say my wife and I are now 6 episodes in. It's very tastefully done and the renovations they do are no joke!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, this show is great feel good TV. Watched about four epidoes with my gf the other day. All the five hosts are super charming as well, and I like that they actually go into some touchy issues.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Totally agreed. I hate reality TV, but this is such a charming show. For the first 3 episodes, or so, my fiancé and I would say: "Wanna throw on Queer Eye just as like as background noise?" and then inevitably become entranced by it.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Never saw the original but I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. The cast is great, personable, charismatic and just seem like they really gel together. I don't really like reality tv and while I wasn't on the edge of my seat waiting for the reveals or anything, I did throw it on in the background and found it quite charming.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly really great summary / endorsement you gave there. I was not even remotely interested, despite occasionally watching the old show, but you make it sound like more than the sum of its parts.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got into the original, a lot because I wasn't really into the guys themselves, but this new one is shockingly good. I really like the guys they have and the stories of the people they're hoping to help out. The Trump supporter episode in particular was far more insightful than anything the original show touched on.

I forget that the cooking guy exist every episode.

Yeah, seems far less relevant than the rest.

That's not how it played out later in the episode, though, they addressed it directly and he explained it flat-out to the guy. At the moment it was "ehhh...this isn't funny" but they gave Karamo to lay it out later that it wasn't funny.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's a great show. I agree the cop episode is clumsy, but I'm not going to fault them for trying and in the end, it does seem they managed to change the cop's mind on a lot of things.