Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I swear I wish I was a millionaire producer just for moments like this. Foolishly and haphazardly spending on my hobby lol

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I tagged so many publishers on Twitter months ago to no avail

Others also did the same today

Honestly I don't know what else to do

bleits

Oct 14, 2023
Doesn't look good if they haven't found a publisher after two years. I never played Shadow Hearts but I really liked the trailer for Penny Blood and I would've been curious to try it.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Sadly I think the writing is on the wall with this one

I do hope their roguelike game manages to be successful at least

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Is the publisher needed to bring the game to other platforms, or to finish the game, period? Hopefully it's the former.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, if after 2 years of a successful, very visible KS campaign they still have no publisher then there's simply no interest from anyone for taking the project. The reasons we can only conjeture, but clearly there's something in the pitch that even with the backing of a very successful KS campaign pubs are shy to actually commit to the project.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
Yeah, if after 2 years of a successful, very visible KS campaign they still have no publisher then there's simply no interest from anyone for taking the project.

thing is the last double kickstarter favored heavily toward armed fantasia like 2:1 or 3:1....

I dunno what made it unappealing to the public, shadow hearts being a niche title? the theme does not resonate? not weeby anime enough artstyle?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, if after 2 years of a successful, very visible KS campaign they still have no publisher then there's simply no interest from anyone for taking the project. The reasons we can only conjeture, but clearly there's something in the pitch that even with the backing of a very successful KS campaign pubs are shy to actually commit to the project.

The current video game dev purgefeels like hardly anyhting is happening right now.

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a backer and not expecting either game to ever come out at this point. It's going to be a damn shame.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Was that their initial pitch? To get development kickstarted (for lack of a better term) in the hopes of finding a publisher?
If so that would be rather strange I think, one of the backer rewards was a physical copy of the game (for both Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood), and that's already been paid for (at least in my case).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Armed Fantasia looks like it's going through development with no real issue. They're talking about the gadgets that will be available in the game and how each character has even more gadgets because of the stretch goals than the project was going to initially implement. It's just Penny Blood that seems to be 'stuck', they're still having discussions with publishers which is good and I just hope somebody foots the bill for it. It's such a niche genre though a horror turn based JRPG, we don't even have all that many games in that style besides the two other series/games that are the direct predecessors of Penny Blood.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I think Armed Fantasia has found a publisher and has started full development unless I am just completely misremembering.

I was really looking forward to Penny Blood, but at this point I think we just have to accept that it is not happening. If a miracle happens I would be overjoyed, but I have accepted the sad state of things and am ready to move on.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think horror turn-based JRPG is THAT niche. I mean, that's Atlus' bread & butter and they seem to be doing just fine.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I don't think horror turn-based JRPG is THAT niche. I mean, that's Atlus' bread & butter and they seem to be doing just fine.
I assume the current market is the biggest reason why it is having issues being picked up. If they were looking for a publisher 2 - 3 years ago they would probably have found one by now, but publishers seem to be very conservative and carefull at the moment.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tagged so many publishers on Twitter months ago to no avail

Others also did the same today

Honestly I don't know what else to do

I'd actually die... it would hurt a lot compared to other Kickstarter upsets lol

Shadow Hearts is just a weirdly special game like that. I nearly died when they announced this already, and to think it's just not finding an audience is so sad.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope everything works out for both projects, I was really hyped when they were first announced.

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is most publishers don't think there's any money to be made by committing to an AA jrpg project that caters to a very specific crowd like nu-Shadow Hearts (I don't think the original series sold all that well either). That tier of rpgs has sadly been eliminated since the PS2 days and now we either go AAA big or resort to smaller indies. Maybe if your name is Square Enix, Atlus or Nintendo you can rely on classic turn-based franchises that have a decades long legacy behind them, but otherwise I'm afraid the signals are clear.

I think I'm due for another replay of the whole series.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just as an aside, I ended up this roguelite they released to try and see if it helps any to support the project. I only played for like half an hour so far but for somebody who's not a fan of roguelite/likes at all I'm enjoying the little I've played of it. At least the tidbits of the Hellhounders themselves looks to be interesting and I just really like the artstyle of the characters.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Does Armed Fantasia have a publisher?
This would also be good to know. Their updates are written as if they aren't concerned about it, so... hopefully? 🤞
I think Armed Fantasia has found a publisher and has started full development unless I am just completely misremembering.
99.9%. But it's worth remembering that the creator of Wild Arms (Akifumi Kaneko) followed up that 7 game long franchise with a huge multimedia hit in Symphogear, so he's got a lot of cachet and was doing the Penny Blood side a favour by partnering up.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
99.9%. But it's worth remembering that the creator of Wild Arms (Akifumi Kaneko) followed up that 7 game long franchise with a huge multimedia hit in Symphogear, so he's got a lot of cachet and was doing the Penny Blood side a favour by partnering up.
If this is true then at least one title made it, thank god. Hopefully the Kickstarter side of things isn't inelegant like it is in Eiyuden (backer names in towns, etc.)

Oct 25, 2017
I went for the digital pack that has both games, but as usual Kickstarters are not projects that you're getting for sure.

If we get Armed Fantasia and it's good then I'll already be pleased.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that if Armed Fantasia is a hit, they revisit later? That seems the most likely route.