Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I say it stands a chance and if it doesn't overtake it will for sure be #2.

I think advance ticket sales alone are going to be crazy.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, since it's opened world wide simultaneously. But nobody can break King Cameron's record except the king.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Doubtful. I don't want to see it and none of my real life friends are talking about it. I wouldn't even know about it if I didn't come here on a regular basis.

Comparing this to Black Panther is night at day. There were posts about it nearly every day on my Facebook and my wife actually took me to see it unprompted. It doesn't seem to be penetrating to the casual audience if my friends are any measure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with both TFA, Avengers, and even Black Panther, those grosses were fueled by an "event" status that I don't see Infinity War capturing. Like others have said, this is yet another "team-up" film and there's no novelty to it anymore.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
2nd only to Force Awakens.

The other thing about Force Awakens is it had a metric fuckton of showings for that opening weekend. It played literally all night at my local theatre. 3am and 7am showings? Unheard of.

So the hype for Infinity War would have to hit a level where everything is sold out so far in advance that they have to do crazy additional showings to keep up with the demand.

OP
OP
EN1GMA

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Reviving this since we are about a week out. Box office pro has it at $235M and estimates vary from 235M-255M OW.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I think it will break the OW record. That said, it will not beat Black Panther's domestic gross.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
crazier things have happened. Like a billion dollar film universe being built upon the shoulders of a down on his luck, newly sober actor who needed another shot and got one on a robotic suit he built in a cave with a box of scraps.

Oct 28, 2017
The Force Awakens was the sequel to Return of the Jedi , I can't see another movie breaking the OW box office or the All Time Record.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if this movie got 39% on rottentomatoes. With reviews saying Justice League is better.

I think anything lower than mid 80s will be a disappointment. And that would start impacting sales.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I think it will fall short. I'm envisioning an opening similar to TLJ (which would be a huge success).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It honestly think that it will. The general Infinity War hype coupled with the Black Panther hype is nothing to scoff at.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if this movie got 39% on rottentomatoes. With reviews saying Justice League is better.

I think anything lower than mid 80s will be a disappointment. And that would start impacting sales.
lmao You'd have to warp reality itself with a completed Infinity Gauntlet for this to even be close to true.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Guarantee it breaks every MCU record.

As for TFA, my gut tells me yes, but only just.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's as good or better than the first Avengers, I'd say it has a shot. BP opened Marvel to a lot of people who looked down on superhero movies. Hopefully they will have some retention.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I think runtime can hurt it a little bit. I'm guessing it'll be just under or just over The Force Awakens, by a hair.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Odds are it won't but at this point I'm not betting against Marvel, so...maybe? Being half an hour longer hurts it in this.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said they decided to walk back from making it a 2 part movie, to only secretly make it a 2 part movie?

If this ended in a massive cliffhanger and was just a Part 1, you market it like that so the plebes who don't follow this shit have their expectations managed.

Marvel are smarter than this, and understand marketing 101. They can't take too many risks when they are so close to the endzone.
Only in the title

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Hope it breaks 250 OW. DOM total is more tricky I think. Not sure it will have the legs or people rewatching it like BP did to beat it.