Will Kotick survive the year?

• Fired with cause (see definition in OP)

Votes: 77 5.5%
  • Fired without cause (means he'll get almost $22M severance, and keep his vesting stock options)

Votes: 141 10.0%
  • Resignation from CEO, stays at company on the Board

Votes: 268 19.1%
  • Resignation from company, gone

Votes: 228 16.2%
  • He weathers the storm and stays on

Votes: 692 49.2%

• Total voters

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to iterate another point. If the scandals at Blizzard and arguably the destruction of one of the most acclaimed and successful gaming companies of all time wasn't enough for the board to have him removed, I doubt these recently revealed scandals will do anything to convince any board members to act differently. I consider most of them to be horrible beings that don't care about human nature at all, only in filling their own pockets.

The stocks will dictate if Bobby leaves or stays. The human price is meaningless to them.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big power move because of this part that people are missing

The board backed him, but if the board keeping their role is conditional on him being there, I can see them backing down on that.

The shareholders in question only hold 0.6 percent of the company. That's obviously not enough for them to block reelection but if they can convince some of the bigger fish to back them in their plot, then it's a different story. If they're not able to, then he'll stay.

Jul 1, 2020
Going full pessimist on this one. I think he stays and absolutely nothing tangible and effective happens. I'd love to be wrong though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
doesnt really matter if he stays or goes, the company's culture seems fundamentlly toxic and broken

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He'll resign. If he stays on, it's just not good business for Activision-Blizzard. And they need as many wins as they can get right now (and by wins, I mean not just the sales of Vanguard).

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
doesnt really matter if he stays or goes, the company's culture seems fundamentlly toxic and broken

It really does. I don't even know how you fix an issue that seems to run this deep. Would need to get someone in completely new who has permission to just get rid of all the bad apples with impunity. Huge huge undertaking.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Roaches usually survive disasters--this oversized one will too.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I expect him to go nowhere. Will be pleasantly surprised otherwise. I more expect people to leave the company to get away from the environment he fosters. Guy is just too dug in.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Who cares? Kotick's estimated net worth is near $600 million dollars.

However the situation at AB shakes out, unless Kotick is somehow facing trial & imprisonment (he isn't), complete repossession of his wealth (he isn't), or vigilante justice (unfortunately not), he's going to continue living a lifestyle and have access to resources that none of us here can fathom.

The only way people like Kotick will ever pause for a second to stop and consider their actions is if there are real, concrete, harmful physical repercussions. If they know that their money cannot protect them, then you might get their attention.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
obviously not, the only question will be how many millions that severance package will be

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Weathers it easily.

The truth is, no one really cares. Some people on twitter and here might, but this is a bubble.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Dude's going to stay and get THE BIGGEST of bonuses for this year.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Shareholders throwing weight but I'm not smart enough to favor it in. Said they'd withhold voting

Those shareholders hold too little stock to have an impact outside of some more bad PR.

The reality is that this won't really be decided by the board, or activist shareholders. It's going to come down to the investment firms that hold much larger portions of Activision's stock. And specifically the people leading those firms: guys like Tim Buckley at Vanguard and Larry Fink at BlackRock. If they feel like Bobby is no longer capable of keeping Activision at a stabile share price, then he's gone. The board will do what they tell them to do. But even in that case I doubt they'll do anything radical like firing with cause. Bobby's one of their own- other CEOs don't like it when they see someone get ousted without that golden parachute.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Which developments? The insignificant portion of the shareholders demanding his resignation?
It's a confluence of everything that has come to light, along with major outlets reporting the story, along with Vanguard being down, along with Blizzard just slowly falling apart with respect to game development. All of this together has never swirled together before.

Only time will tell, but this is all happening at the same time. It's much easier to fight off one at a time. We shall see.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Right now he weathers the storm but as more bad news breaks things could change. There is no point in getting rid of him before the ongoing state case/discovery is resolved. He can be the fall guy after that if need be.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if the big guys see it as a way to kick him out for the poor performance of COD and Blizzard.

If everything was performing stellar i doubt it

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Right now he weathers the storm but as more bad news breaks things could change. There is no point in getting rid of him before the state investigation is resolved. He can be the fall guy after that if need be.

They could oust him if the share price keeps dropping. Bring in an interim CEO to stabilize things, and then bring in someone permanent after the investigations are resolved. I don't think they're at that point yet, but it's possible.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Resignation, with a 330 MILLION dollar golden parachute, only to wind up at a larger company in 18 months.

That is not justice.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the company keeps making a lot of money and the stock price stays above a certain level, he's pretty bulletproof.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
hard to be optimistic here, board went to bat for their money earner just yesterday so unless more accusations pour in...love to be wrong here

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They could oust him if the share price keeps dropping. Bring in an interim CEO to stabilize things, and then bring in someone permanent after the investigations are resolved. I don't think they're at that point yet, but it's possible.

That is another option. Although the interim CEO can't stop the bleeding, especially if there continues to be more bad press and there inevitably will be as the state case moves forward.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Rich and bringing lots of money in is a hard combination to beat for most companies. Gross but it's just reality. I think he weathers.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
The shareholders in question only hold 0.6 percent of the company. That's obviously not enough for them to block reelection but if they can convince some of the bigger fish to back them in their plot, then it's a different story. If they're not able to, then he'll stay.
About as much as Bobby owns himself.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Rich and bringing lots of money in is a hard combination to beat for most companies. Gross but it's just reality. I think he weathers.
Since he was CEO at a time in which the company thrived his "golden parachute" would be massive.

Also, Kotick is the largest single share holder with millions of shares. So, buying out his shares would be a lot.

To truly be rid of Kotick would cost Activision Blizzard probably around $500 million.

So, from a business perspective is either pay Kotick a half billion to try and look like the good guys or keep him and hope this blows over.

This exact same kind of controversy quickly blew over for the CEO of Riot Games and now no one cares about him.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Since he was CEO at a time in which the company thrived his "golden parachute" would be massive.

Also, Kotick is the largest single share holder with millions of shares. So, buying out his shares would be a lot.

To truly be rid of Kotick would cost Activision Blizzard probably around $500 million.

So, from a business perspective is either pay Kotick a half billion to try and look like the good guys or keep him and hope this blows over.

This exact same kind of controversy quickly blew over for the CEO of Riot Games and now no one cares about him.
They don't need to "buy his shares". They're his to do what he wants with. The severance package for being fired without cause is nearly $22M, and $0 if with cause. If he's fired without cause his unvested options will vest immediately, but even then that's nowhere near $500M and it's not like the company is giving him cash in that scenario.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Since he actually inconvienced shareholders I think he'll leave, but under circumstances that barely amount to a slap on the wrist for someone like him.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They will eventually make the psychopath an offer that he'll accept, he'll resign as an even richer man and end up in a similar position at some other shitty company if he feels like it.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

I feel like maybe this could lead to a different outcome considering that Kotick has had a much bigger stink lingering on him for the longest time, with the most recent allegations just cementing it all.