Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. If Battlefront made it through 1 and 2 I'm sure MvC can survive Infinite

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I say let marvel find someone else to develop a fighting game with their characters. Capcom has loads of characters of their own to make versus game.
Nah. There's not many out there that can do this franchise justice. AND, I care just as much about the Capcom characters as I do the Marvel ones. Besides, Capcom themselves don't do much. It's DImps, etc. They can bring someone else in like usual.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
nwppo9jm6a131.png

Also there are plenty of other 90's arcade games they could have used for this Captain Marvel shot.
Also as an aside, one of Captain Marvel's kicks near the end of the movie is eerily similar to Cody's Double Kick. Clearly the people behind Captain Marvel are Capcom heads.....aside from the whole 1989 screw-up regarding this specific version of SFII.

The reference is a bit more clear in motion, but you get the idea.

Marvel still dictate the characters, if they don't want Cyclops for example, we won't get him. And because Marvel decide their side, Capcom may not use certain characters of theirs who are too similar.
I mean, a little Marvel intervention isn't a bad thing. For example, adding Marrow at the expense of someone like Ms. Marvel would be a questionable decision. But Marvel went too far with it in MvCI, namely at the expense of the mutants & the F4 characters.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I mean, a little Marvel intervention isn't a bad thing. For example, adding Marrow at the expense of someone like Ms. Marvel would be a questionable decision. But Marvel went too far with it in MvCI, namely at the expense of the mutants & the F4 characters.
Sure, a little intervention is fine, as it gave us Rocket and the like.

But as long as Marvel is still full of themselves, such that they won't allow such things like Dimitri and his Midnight Bliss as a means to "laugh at themselves" and actually allow Capcom to fully have fun with their characters, as well as their own, it's always going to mean that certain characters will be "off-limits" because it doesn't fit their brand image or what-have-you.

And that's where I remain a bit nonplussed about any future Capcom-Marvel collabs.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say this as someone who has no major interest in MvC and would gladly see it die in favour of other FG IPs getting a shot; MvC needs to go away for a while. Infinite did huge damage to the brand and the relationship between Marvel and Capcom seems incredibly toxic. Capcom need to take a big break from the series, do some new fighting games and some new IPs then come back to MvC once they have everything worked out to ensure we never have another Infinite.

And no, I don't care about the sanctity of 'Mahvel'. The series could go away forever for all I care.

Nov 18, 2017
naahh im good, Marvel killed infinite with their demands and capcom didnt have the budget that game needed. The well has been poisoned the FGC has turned its back to MvC.

But you are right, people are gonna want more than just street fighter. Personally rooting for Capcom VS SNK 3: pachinko boogaloo

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I say this as someone who has no major interest in MvC and would gladly see it die in favour of other FG IPs getting a shot; MvC needs to go away for a while. Infinite did huge damage to the brand and the relationship between Marvel and Capcom seems incredibly toxic. Capcom need to take a big break from the series, do some new fighting games and some new IPs then come back to MvC once they have everything worked out to ensure we never have another Infinite.

And no, I don't care about the sanctity of 'Mahvel'. The series could go away forever for all I care.

Scotia just prefaced his post like he was going to say the opposite of what he said, and then just said something that reinforced the prefacing.

I love it.

I love you, Scotia.

Never change.

lmao

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Gimme a numbered MvC4 that's a return to form now that Disney/Marvel own FF4 and the mutants. I sold my fightstick after I saw the direction MvCI was going in, but I'd just as quickly buy another one with the roster potential of an MvC4.

If Disney didn't buy Fox, I'd say it wasn't worth it. But, with FF/mutants on the table, and seeing all the crazy characters Marvel is bringing into the MCU via movies and Disney+, I'd be there Day 1 if they do the game justice.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I'd like another MvC for next-gen, however I'd prefer them to go back to pixel/animated style, something more akin to Guilty Gear or something. Or at the very least, closer to DBZ Fighterz.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I hope not. Disney/Marvel are too controlling. Capcom should just make a Versus style game with their own characters.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
I hope not. Disney/Marvel are too controlling. Capcom should just make a Versus style game with their own characters.
Why do people keep regurgitating this? The Marvel Games of today is quite different than what they were when MvCI was green lit. The Fox thing is also no longer an issue and I would say most people are more than happy with MUA3's line up and DLC characters. Also Capcom Vs. (which I would still buy ofc) isn't moving anywhere near the numbers a proper MvC4 would imo.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people keep regurgitating this? The Marvel Games of today is quite different than what they were when MvCI was green lit. The Fox thing is also no longer an issue and I would say most people are more than happy with MUA3's line up and DLC characters. Also Capcom Vs. (which I would still buy ofc) is moving anywhere near the numbers a proper MvC4 would imo.
You're acting like it was a decade ago and that there's a dozen Marvel games indicating that they've taken a hands off approach.
MvCi was just two years ago And the 1 or 2 Marvel games released since then aren't enough to convince me they've changed.

And personally with the exception of the X-Men(which I love) I'm just not interested in Marvel characters, unless it's weirdos like Modok and Shuma Gorath.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep regurgitating this? The Marvel Games of today is quite different than what they were when MvCI was green lit. The Fox thing is also no longer an issue and I would say most people are more than happy with MUA3's line up and DLC characters. Also Capcom Vs. (which I would still buy ofc) isn't moving anywhere near the numbers a proper MvC4 would imo.
I mean, it's not.

Marvel games would much rather spend their time and effort pushing mobile games that make millions of dollars every day than working with AAA developers over a time line of years to make a product that could struggle to break 2 million.

A Capcom Vs. Game is a much safer bet which gives Capcom more control over the product and allows them to fix and tailor the post-release needs of the game more efficiently. The Marvel license is way too demanding.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
i see this shade towards marvel's avengers, lol

I won't lie, I'm still a bit salty from when I went to the Marvel Games' panel at SDCC years ago and asked about the state of UMvsC3 and their response was basically "we have nothing for you, but we have SIX (count'em!) expansion packs for our THREE card based mobile games, because those ACTUALLY make money."

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Let's fucking hope so. MvCI had some crazy fun gameplay. Just wished the art direction matched what Tecmo did with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Tag, 3v3 or 2v2, idk-- just give me some solid visuals. Skip the story mode for post launch content if it's going to cut into visuals and or Roster. Honestly, wish capcom didn't go all in on SFV, so tired of Streer fighter honestly...

Lastly, capcom and marvel could play the long game and develop Marvel superheroes 2. Nail the gameplay of a 2v2 tag fighter with an all marvel cast, drop hints and teaser for a mvc cross over. Add season's of dlc and finally come out with a Mvc4 mid next gen. I'd be down for that too honestly. Just want a new Capcom fighter in the chain combo vs style format.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They should just do Capcom v Capcom at this point or make franchise specific fighting games.

I'd unironically like an RE fighting game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Like, I could see Capcom and Marvel coming together again to try with a "Marvel Vs. Capcom 4", pretending Infinite didn't happen and adding X-Men/F4 this time. But I could just as easily see something like Capcom doing an inhouse only Vs fighter or working with a different media parter(s) on one (I still dream about Project Vs Zone or Tasunoko Vs Capcom 2). I could also easily see Marvel working with a different partner on a tag fighter instead (Arc System Works, Iron Galaxy, etc) and it turning out well for all. Spidey PS4 and MAU3 have shown they're not afraid to dump what/who wasn't working before.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
You're acting like it was a decade ago and that there's a dozen Marvel games indicating that they've taken a hands off approach.
MvCi was just two years ago And the 1 or 2 Marvel games released since then aren't enough to convince me they've changed.

And personally with the exception of the X-Men(which I love) I'm just not interested in Marvel characters, unless it's weirdos like Modok and Shuma Gorath.
I am? Time of release =/= time of approval. It's less about how long and how many games and more about the direction they seem to be taking going forward if you see any of the interviews with Jay Ong. I think we shouldn't totally absolve Capcom either in regard to gameplay and graphics in Infinite. Both parties seem to be in better places now so I will remain hopeful.
I mean, it's not.

Marvel games would much rather spend their time and effort pushing mobile games that make millions of dollars every day than working with AAA developers over a time line of years to make a product that could struggle to break 2 million.

A Capcom Vs. Game is a much safer bet which gives Capcom more control over the product and allows them to fix and tailor the post-release needs of the game more efficiently. The Marvel license is way too demanding.
Explain Spider-Man and Avengers then, both are AAA (whatever that is). Both have had post launch support or are announced to have it in the future. MUA3 has new character DLC incoming. They seem to be giving Camoflaj plenty of time and space with Iron Man VR. A hypothetical Capcom Vs. isn't really a safer bet if it's already predestined to sell less than an MvC game. Capcom will just drop support for it like SFxT or TvC.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Explain Spider-Man and Avengers then, both are AAA (whatever that is). Both have had post launch support or are announced to have it in the future. MUA3 has new character DLC incoming. They seem to be giving Camoflaj plenty of time and space with Iron Man VR. A hypothetical Capcom Vs. isn't really a safer bet if it's already predestined to sell less than an MvC game. Capcom will just drop support for it like SFxT or TvC.

You mean Spiderman, a game that was attached a license that sony owned for years and was being shown off since 2013 and had a 5 year dev cycle and Avengers, a game that has had its development restarted no less than twice? Yes, Marvel doesn't want to do a lot of those. Hell, the deadpool game has been delisted twice already due to marvel license restrictions. You can expect the same to happen with both the spiderman and iron man vr games. It is a MIRACLE that UMvsC3 was relicensed for a PS4/XBone/PC release. Marvel just isn't about that life. If it can't be made cheaply and within 6 months, they don't want it.

And it's funny that you mention TvC because that's ALSO a game that was kneecapped due to international licensing, to the point where the game can't be released due to entire companies that have no connection Capcom no longer existing.

Is it safer sales wise to move without marvel? Probably not. But it will allow Capcom to work on their own timeline and not rush things, which is the one thing that always bites them in the ass no matter who they partner with.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If nothing else, the fact that we're still getting MvC cabinets from Arcade 1UP show that Marvel & Capcom are at least on speaking terms. I could see us getting an MvC Legacy Collection in the near future.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
You mean Spiderman, a game that was attached a license that sony owned for years and was being shown off since 2013 and had a 5 year dev cycle and Avengers, a game that has had its development restarted no less than twice? Yes, Marvel doesn't want to do a lot of those. Hell, the deadpool game has been delisted twice already due to marvel license restrictions. You can expect the same to happen with both the spiderman and iron man vr games. It is a MIRACLE that UMvsC3 was relicensed for a PS4/XBone/PC release. Marvel just isn't about that life. If it can't be made cheaply and within 6 months, they don't want it.

And it's funny that you mention TvC because that's ALSO a game that was kneecapped due to international licensing, to the point where the game can't be released due to entire companies that have no connection Capcom no longer existing.

Is it safer sales wise to move without marvel? Probably not. But it will allow Capcom to work on their own timeline and not rush things, which is the one thing that always bites them in the ass no matter who they partner with.
I'm not sure what point your trying to make with the Sony/ Spider-Man thing that's relevant to this discussion. Also, it was shown off in 2013? Need receipts on that bud. Especially when Sony released the Activision developed Amazing Spider-Man 2 game in 2014 and is predecessor the year prior. If they didn't want a AAA Avengers then why not just have Square can it after the first restart of development? TvC's bigger problem is the rights holders for the characters differs from East to West, this isn't the problem with Marvel stuff.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Spider-Man leads Marvel's "epic" new console strategy

On Monday night, Sony closed out its E3 press conference with the announcement that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomni…

We ask if the word "epic" means Marvel's strategy on consoles is limited to AAA games, and Ong confirms our suspicions.

"For the most part, yes. Although I think it's part of our strategy to have a relatively diversified portfolio that meets different kinds of audiences and gamers' tastes."
No AAA Marvel stuff though according to you.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No AAA Marvel stuff though according to you.

I mean that article is from 2016, is mostly about how spiderman isn't a movie tie in, is intentionally vague and basically confirms that they're not working with activsion anymore. Meanswhile it's 2020 and we've had 3 big marvel AAA project in the past 5 years, 5 if you include lego games, and two of which, Marvel I and MUA3 were hobbled by an unreasonable timeline.

So yeah, No AAA stuff according to me. Like seriously, if this history is to be believed, by 2022, we will have 1 major AAA marvel project, avengers, and 14 mobile games. But keep telling me how Marvel is dedicated to big budget AAA games. Even the alternate games you gave as example, the vr stuff, are smaller experiences with smaller budgets.

Marvel ain't about that AAA life.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
I mean that article is from 2016, is mostly about how spiderman isn't a movie tie in, is intentionally vague and basically confirms that they're not working with activsion anymore. Meanswhile it's 2020 and we've had 3 big marvel AAA project in the past 5 years, 5 if you include lego games, and two of which, Marvel I and MUA3 were hobbled by an unreasonable timeline.

So yeah, No AAA stuff according to me. Like seriously, if this history is to be believed, by 2022, we will have 1 major AAA marvel project, avengers, and 14 mobile games. But keep telling me how Marvel is dedicated to big budget AAA games. Even the alternate games you gave as example, the vr stuff, are smaller experiences with smaller budgets.

Marvel ain't about that AAA life.
So they announced their change of direction mid 2016, we got the first game in that vein 2 years later, are getting the next one this year, you want them to work with developers over a series of years, but somehow they're not interested in doing that? Iron Man VR may not be what is considered AAA traditionally but in the VR space but, based on everything written about it, is aiming to occupy that position (Alyx excluded). Any company with their IP catalog is gonna have mobile cash in games, it's free money. If we arrive at your proposed 2022 scenario I will concede to you but I think it's too soon to say so. Let's all believe in MvC4.