• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why are we still using Amazon charts as a proof of anything beyond the performance of super niche titles

If Pokemon Let's Go is a huge success, it will come mainly from casual fans and that isn't going to show up in pre-order data.

Not to mention Let's Go has four SKUs, so a direct chart comparison isn't even possible.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm super curious to how LGPE will sell.

I just don't see the super casual audience they are targeting the game at, picking up a dedicated console for it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
why are we still using Amazon charts as a proof of anything beyond the performance of super niche titles

If Pokemon Let's Go is a huge success, it will come mainly from casual fans and that isn't going to show up in pre-order data.

I think preorders are a reasonable test for the enthusiast/core crowd though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think preorders are a reasonable test for the enthusiast/core crowd though.

They show the level of interest for the enthusiast crowd who pre-orders from Amazon, yeah.

On a wider scale, they're really not very useful. They're fun to track though, I'll admit.

Now, if we could get these charts for the top 5 online retailers (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Wal-Mart, Target), they'd probably provide a much clearer picture.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing to complain about when it comes to smash e.g. GC controller , all fighters are available and they even got Ridley.

Nintendo did dedicated almost all of E3 for it as well so the hype is definitely there for it.

Pokemon has some people divided (including myself) I'm hoping for more details and footage of the game from Nintendo before the game launch as it's starting to get pretty close.

In my opinion Pokemon will edge out Smash but not by much

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I can't say Smash will outsell pokemon but I do know that I have lots of people in my circle who doesn't own any console at all that are considering getting a Switch for pokemon. They have never heard of Smash their entire life. They are the "casuals" who only game on their phones and knows pokemon from gameboy or the anime and played pokemon Go.

I think pokemon has a bigger market worldwide than smash and pokemon has a bigger potential to sell consoles as well.

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Brawl sold around 13 million during the height of the Wii era and the 3DS version of Smash 4 is the second highest selling game in the series' history with about 9 million. My guess is Ultimate will land somewhere in between at around 11 million.

LGP and LGE are re-imaginings of Yellow (which sold 14 million on its own within the 60 million units sold during Gen 1) so I could see them doing just as well as the original but USUM was the worst-selling mainline game since Emerald currently sitting at around 7.5 million so it could really go either way.

Wouldn't be completely surprised if both Smash and Pokemon come in at around 11 by year's end.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I dont think so but Let's go looks incredibly mediocre so it could happen. It won't stop the kids from picking it up though.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Direct competition is an exaggeration. They don't even have names yet.
Yes, but the 1 year difference between them and Gen 8 matters a lot when talking about legs, Pokemon Let's Go might beat Smash at launch, but Smash will most likely have better legs.

Brawl sold 13.2M in a decade. Maybe, in the very very far future, Smash U will outsell Pokémon Let's Go, but I have my doubts. I said 15M+ as a lowball estimate.
That future might not be as far off as you might think considering that let's go will not have very strong legs when Gen 8 releases 1 year latter. Also I'm pretty sure Smash is way bigger than what it used to be back in 2008.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Which of these games will outsell the other is both unknowable and arbitrary. This conversation will eventually be better suited for the sales threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.