May 15, 2019
Sony has very much been operating independently of what Microsoft is doing, I doubt they'll respond any time soon

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No. Aside from the fact it would mean having to share the news cycle with MS, it would be a childish move, and thankfully Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer are above that, I think.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Microsoft didn't do anything substantial during the month of June when the PS5 was pretty much on everyone's mind. so no I don't expect anything substantial from PlayStation either. that being said, you could see some social posts like new images of the PS5 or screenshots for upcoming PS5 games but nothing that will blow you away

Aug 13, 2019
I doubt it. It'd most likely be dramatically overshadowed by the Xbox event. 1 hour of just game announcements? What could Sony possibly do?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They don't need to counter anything lol.

They will have other shows at August and probably September (at TGS time)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Did MS drop anything the week of the PS5 event to keep Sony from hogging the news? I don't think they are as eager to quickly take swings at each other as much as lot of people think.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything has to be a reaction... this whole console warring thing is tiresome...

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Both Sony and Microsoft are making a big thing of just working to their own plans. I don't see Sony making any announcement relatively close to the Microsoft show, and vice versa.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
probably, post a picture of a black DualSense or PS5 console and go viral/get all the headlines. xD

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they will put a major announcement up but just like with Microsoft they will probably make some sort of announcement or statement to move discussion towards the PS5.

Eitherway Xbox is going to be dominating the headlines that day.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, they'll want the news cycle for themselves. This week is already stacked with the Xbox event and the Nintendo Direct. They'll have more stuff to announce in August.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. They'll just wait it out. If they really do have a State of Play in August (which seems very likely), it'll do all the talking. Halo Infinite is probably going to take over all the media coverage this week, best not to let that overshadow anything Sony could announce.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff will probably host an embarrassing exclusive BC on PS5 hype video.
People seem to make fun of the DualSense hands on video, but I thought it was substantial enough. Before no one had real coverage on how the DualSense compared to the Dual Shock 4 in size, and there were like 2 pictures of a maybe fake maybe real DualSense being held. We got a very clear shot at the back finally, R.I.P. back buttons dream, and Geoff did his best to describe the feeling of it's features. The step clicks of the trigger was a big one for me. Though I'm still confused to if it's actual resistance or haptics simulation.

I really really love the haptics simulation in the Steam Controller and without it pad mouse look would be a mess for me. Simulating a roller ball make is so intuitive, with it you rely on your eyes (screen) and touch to judge the effect your fast or slow/gentle swipe will have on the camera and how soon you should react to stop it where you want it to.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation tweets out "Ready for round 2? Join us Aug 5th for more PS5 game reveals" right after ms showcase ends

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes, either the random Tuesday before or the week after the MS conference. It probably will be their announcement for their early August show (4th) where we will be told the price and preorders go live.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, MS started their marketing campaign for the Series X at The Game Awards last year, and Sony stayed quiet the whole time until the June event. It seems very unlikely to me that they would suddenly change strategy and start being reactionary to what MS does.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Sony is on their on news cycle and they have been for all their nextgen news. The only factor that affects it is covid 19.

It's only on these forums that people seem to think Sony based all their plans on responses to MS when in reality that doesn't happen. It's more likely that MS is the one who respond to Sony PR or piggy back on it lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they? I guess they could release a picture of the backside of the PS5 and give the measurements...... Perhaps that will still your hunger... :O :P

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why they would, they have their event in August.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably start preorders during the conference. Lol

Nah, they will let them have their moment, then probably have another State of Play to show some more stuff/share new info.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, but I'm ready to lock in pre orders today, lol.

I don't think they'll have anything.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
I doubt it... nothing big anyway. Unless they know everything Xbox has going on this week (which they wont), I don't see the point in risking a major announcement that may get drowned out.
My bet would be they drop something early next week, if at all next week, to steal some shine.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Sony is on their on news cycle and they have been for all their nextgen news. The only factor that affects it is covid 19.

It's only on these forums that people seem to think Sony based all their plans on responses to MS when in reality that doesn't happen. It's more likely that MS is the one who respond to Sony PR or piggy back on it lol.
Except for price. They are both actively waiting for each other on that, and it is quite tiresome.