Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If comic books and tv shows can keep going for decades upon decades then there's no reason these movies can't.
I know people have been crying about superhero fatigue for the last few years but it's not going to happen anytime soon. It will happen eventually though. Who knows when. Maybe before the next decades.

And as far as Infinity War is concerned, you only need to watch the Guardians and Avenges movies to catch up.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MCU WON'T necessarily collapse per se but if Marvel Studios keeps pumping out mediocre samey films over and over then I can see box office sales plummeting

I wish Marvel would just give their directors more freedom in standalone films and stop trying to add jokes everywhere
leave the snarky 'funny quips' to the Avengers films and Iron Man

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanos really wasn't so long. Almost all of his arc is in Infinity War with just a sprinkle of side story here and there. They could surely do the same thing with Galactus or Doom or whoever is next as the ultimate baddie. But not for years, I agree. They'll do this again, but they can't constantly do it or it will become stale.
Thanos was built up since the first Cap with the introduction of the Tesseract. Just think about how long ago that was relative to the conclusion being next summer. I just can't see that happening again like that.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
MCU WON'T necessarily collapse per se but if Marvel Studios keeps pumping out mediocre samey films over and over then I can see box office sales plummeting

I wish Marvel would just give their directors more freedom in standalone films and stop trying to add jokes in every film

What if directors are trying to add jokes?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

I wish Marvel would just give their directors more freedom in standalone films and stop trying to add jokes everywhere
Yeah Taika Watiti, stop adding jokes!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You don't hire Taika Wahiti and then say: "make a serious Thor film."

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No it's not.

He didn't inherit the Odinforce until Hela died, because since she was Odin's firstborn she inherited it. The entire reason Hela keeps getting stronger throughout the movie is because she has the Odinforce. That stuff was Thor basically just tapping further into his own power.

This is not what was happening in Ragnarok.

Thor and Hela are both powerful gods in their own right. They both draw strength from "Asgard" not the Odinforce. Odin was using his own strength to imprison her, but when his strength just failed (too old, etc) that imprisonment failed.

Hela got stronger the longer she was in Asgard, which is why they had to blow up Asgard to stop her. But Hela had been active for thousands of years before that. Even at her weakest outside of Asgard she easily was powerful enough to Manhandle Thor because she was the older of the two.

Hela appeared to be WELL AWARE of just how strong she was, where her powers came from, and what things Odin said were BS and what things weren't.

Thor was still thinking his power came from the Hammer at the beginning of the film, rather than being innately within himself all along.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The last few Marvel movies have pretty blatently given their directors extreme freedom..you can't honestly look at Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok and believe that the directors felt restricted.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
At this point, it's unwise to bet against the MCU.

10yrs going. 20 films in. The MCU has never been in a stronger position.

We are literally in midst of cinematic history in the making. But sure, I imagine there won't be another MCU movie on the scale of IW/A4 for at least 5yrs.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand I worry about the MCU getting out of hand for non-geeks...
On the other hand, my parents who are in their 60's have seen every MCU movie and love them...

I can still remember my mom calling me after she saw Infinity War: "John, tell me Spider-Man's not dead. They just did a Spider-Man movie, Ironman has 3 movies why kill Spider-Man??" -_-

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The point is that the stories haven't collapsed even after decades, they could and came close to but in the end quality triumphs.
The topic is about wether the MCU will lose its' audience not about a collapse in the story-telling.

Becoming something that, for the most part, appeals to a small core audience, like comics, instead of having broad appeal would be a collapse.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
At this point, it's unwise to bet against the MCU.

10yrs going. 20 films in. The MCU has never been in a stronger position.

We are literally in midst of cinematic history in the making. But sure, I imagine there won't be another MCU movie on the scale of IW/A4 for at least 5yrs.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm thinking there's going to be a somewhat dramatic reset of the Marvel status quo after A4, especially since Disney/Marvel own and control the Fox assets now.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm inclined to agree. I'm thinking there's going to be a somewhat dramatic reset of the Marvel status quo after A4, especially since Disney/Marvel own and control the Fox assets now.

The way I'm thinking, they're going to be slowly weaving Skrulls into a movie here and there following Captain Marvel with a big bang at some point for a Secret Invasion movie.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure one day it will.

I'm curious where they will go after Avengers 4. They surely can't be building up to another Thanos like villain any time soon. I'm really curious to they roadmap going forward. I think the handling of upcoming overreaching arches will determine when the MCU will start to lose steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll be able to keep it going for a very long time.

We're getting a Spiderman trilogy, a Dr strange trilogy, a black panther trilogy, probably at least another Thor movie, Captain Marvel is about to arrive, etc. Then there's going to be X-Men (and likely solo movies for some X-Men characters), Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, etc down the line.

There's enough that they've got set
up already to sustain for at least another decade. I think it's even big enough to survive any individual character leaving for any reason.

I'd love to see the contracts that they're offering for new cast members. Probably lots of cameos negotiated ahead of time, and tbh with their advances in CGI they can probably even do CGI versions of characters should an actor die/retire/etc.

They can even make it more accessible when they get all the movies available on their streaming service.

I guess the tricky thing is how to balance telling long arcs whilst also keeping the movies accessible to a general audience not paying too much attention between movies, but they've got a huge established audience, and as long as they keep the quality going, I think people will keep showing up.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The topic is about wether the MCU will lose its' audience not about a collapse in the story-telling.

Becoming something that, for the most part, appeals to a small core audience, like comics, instead of having broad appeal would be a collapse.

Not really plausible, IMHO.

The MCU has been around for about 10 years or so by now, but the modern age of "superhero" movies goes back a lot longer. Studios have been cranking out blockbuster Superhero films every couple of years since Superman 1978. It's been **40** years of this, not ten.

The approach may change somewhat (the Superman films are a lot different than the Burton Batman films, which are themselves different from the Schumacher Batman films, which are different from the Sony and Fox movies that predate the MCU, which are different from the Transformers films which many people are surprised to find out is an IP Marvel ALSO created) but it's not realistic to think that audience is going to vanish- especially since the overseas markets are extremely receptive to flashy special effects driven blockbusters and are only getting moreso.

Marvel and DC both own a ton of properties and no one's scratched the surface of those IP portfolios yet. You could scrap every character that's been used in the MCU entirely and make another 10 years of films based just on what hasn't been used, then scrap THAT and do it again for another decade.

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
Love avengers but agree it cant really work forever. Hope we get more stuff like civil war (with less characters)

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I don't think it'll collapse. The thing is, there is so much material in the world of comic books, that even if the more fantastical heroes like Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Iron Man and Spider-Man decline in box office popularity, you still have more down to earth heroes to pick up the slack.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as they make the stories worthwhile, I don't see the problem.

I see the MCU as an ideal version of what the comic book industry attempted to do for years with their connected universes ultimately coalescing into annual mega-events. But the rate and quantity of which they put out books came at the sacrifice of quality and a lot of their mega-events had absolutely asinine stories that fans openly rebuked.

People will put in the effort if they hear that the payoff is worth it. That's all there really is to it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's true though. Venom is bad, yet entertaining. Any Marvel Studios flick that had Spider-Man in it has some pretty unmemorable, bland directing. It's almost as if they got TV directors who are easily controlled.....

as opposed to the unforgettable, post-modern cinematography of VENOM

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not really plausible, IMHO.

The MCU has been around for about 10 years or so by now, but the modern age of "superhero" movies goes back a lot longer. Studios have been cranking out blockbuster Superhero films every couple of years since Superman 1978. It's been **40** years of this, not ten.

The approach may change somewhat (the Superman films are a lot different than the Burton Batman films, which are themselves different from the Schumacher Batman films, which are different from the Sony and Fox movies that predate the MCU, which are different from the Transformers films which many people are surprised to find out is an IP Marvel ALSO created) but it's not realistic to think that audience is going to vanish- especially since the overseas markets are extremely receptive to flashy special effects driven blockbusters and are only getting moreso.

Marvel and DC both own a ton of properties and no one's scratched the surface of those IP portfolios yet. You could scrap every character that's been used in the MCU entirely and make another 10 years of films based just on what hasn't been used, then scrap THAT and do it again for another decade.
I think it depends on what they do moving forward.
The whole multi-movie arcs building up to a big finale is novel and exciting now but if they pretty much try to repeat the same thing again, I think some of the audience will lose interest.

What comes after phase 3 needs to be very different from what we have now. The fact they're dropping the whole phases concept tells me they realize that.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The whole multi-movie arcs building up to a big finale is novel and exciting now but if they pretty much try to repeat the same thing again, I think some of the audience will lose interest.

What comes after phase 3 needs to be very different from what we have now. The fact they're dropping the whole phases concept tells me they realize that.
Well they've been using the Avengers films as "season finales". But after A4, I just don't think there will be an Avengers team anymore.

Deleted member 28307

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
On a different note, across all the movies the relative power levels of the different characters is a mess. The guy who got completely incapacitated by a stun gun is the same guy who took a direct hit from the focused power of a neutron star. And somehow black widow is still alive, despite fighting the fiercest beings that Thanos could find.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Obedience_Disk

It's wasnt a simple tazer

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to watching Infinity War last night. I thought about seeing if anyone in my family wanted to watch, but then when I started mentally listing all the movies they needed to have seen or at least have explained it just seemed insurmountable. I don't know how long this universe will keep going, but even now it seems daunting for somoene coming to it for the first time. Will they reboot the whole universe at some point?

On a different note, across all the movies the relative power levels of the different characters is a mess. The guy who got completely incapacitated by a stun gun is the same guy who took a direct hit from the focused power of a neutron star. And somehow black widow is still alive, despite fighting the fiercest beings that Thanos could find.
Vision becoming totally helpless in IW when he was basically the OP deus ex machina in AoU is the most egregious example of inconsistent power levels imo.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The connected universe concept is going to stay- it's absolutely their money maker and other studios are desperate to replicate it.

i agree though that we won't see a dozen films culminating in a big "Avengers" movie every couple of years though.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Vision becoming totally helpless in IW when he was basically the OP deus ex machina in AoU is the most egregious example of inconsistent power levels imo.

Not really a "power level" conversation- Vision was severely injured immediately from a surprise attack in IW and was basically fighting crippled, and whatever weapon corvus was using just ignored his ability to phase entirely.

It's a super convenient way to nerf him, but it's not an example of his powers being inconsistent.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
I don't think their movies will decay in popularity any time soon. They've pretty much got the right formula for keeping a really big demographic hooked up, here's how it works: The big movie where everyone gets together is accessible for everyone BUT there are a few parts where you won't understand without watching the solo movies so these ones sell relatively good too. I think we'll get another two decades of it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It already did with Civil War. That was a sloppy stupid mess of a film. But Infinity War recovered nicely.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The connected universe concept is going to stay- it's absolutely their money maker and other studios are desperate to replicate it.

i agree though that we won't see a dozen films culminating in a big "Avengers" movie every couple of years though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that it's going to be impossible to pull off another Thanos situation again.
It already did with Civil War. That was a sloppy stupid mess of a film. But Infinity War recovered nicely.
For what it's worth, I agree 100% with you, regardless of the vitriol that will undoubtedly be thrown at you for this opinion.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that it's going to be impossible to pull off another Thanos situation again.

10 years ago, it was impossible to pull off an Avengers situation.

6 years ago, it was impossible to pull of a Thanos situation.

the list goes on

Marvel now has Doom, Galactus and the X-Men to play with. Nothing is impossible.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
How was Civil War a sloppy mess of a film? The hell?

People that over analyze movies all the time make this point about civil war all the time. One thing that get the biggest eye roll from me is hearing Zemo's plan "didn't make sense". I swear people that say that are to busy coming up with reasons for reasons for why a movie is bad instead of enjoying a movie.